• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I wish Bethesda would phase out the 'start as a prisoner' thing and just spawn your character in different locations depending on what race one chose. Basically you'd just be a traveler coming in seeking adventure. Argonians could start in Riften, for example, having arrived by boat; Nords could start in Windhelm as a soldier for the Stormcloaks; etc.
basically this; and have guilds approach you based on stat affinities etc ("oh, you look like you enjoy magic etc etc").

webrunner

I just want a world where my choices do more than angry lines of text. i think that might be a fundamental issue with the game design itself and the 'be anything' start to the game.

I mean
the jarls chilling at the table with ulrich act like I told on their moms for stealing candy when I just got done killing 100s of their soldiers and running them out of their territory. this is the same game where you go to jail for stealing an apple.

Can I just say that when I read that, I thought of the name "Jake Chillinjarl" and then felt guilty.

Davedough

It's in a drawer, although if the blacksmith is gone he won't be there to give it to anyway. It may be that he died at some point. Did a dragon ever attack the city?

I looked in the drawer and the only thing that was there were some clothes. No dragon ever has attacked Whiterun, the only thing that happened was quest related when
the Silver Hand raided

I guess its a glitch I'm just gonna have to move on from. Its just now, I'll never be able to
lead The Companions or cure my Lycanthropy

Lakitu

st5fu
Amazing. Was walking near the glaciers during a blizzard, but then it stopped and the skies were clear. The view is fucking breathtaking. I want the clear skies shout, when am I supposed to get it?

I looked in the drawer and the only thing that was there were some clothes. No dragon ever has attacked Whiterun, the only thing that happened was quest related when
the Silver Hand raided

I guess its a glitch I'm just gonna have to move on from. Its just now, I'll never be able to
lead The Companions or cure my Lycanthropy

Not on PC I take it?

scy

basically this; and have guilds approach you based on stat affinities etc ("oh, you look like you enjoy magic etc etc".

Loading screens seem to indicate that the Thieves Guild approach is dependent on your Sneak stat, though I'm pretty sure that's just flavor text.

It still bothers me that Mage vendors still go "I knew you looked like a Mage" when I go to sell Robes to them :/

parasight

Can't wait till they roll out the patch for 360. The load times are getting quite long, and I've been holding off installing it till they fixed the texture problem.

So the whole city of Markarth is bugged for me. Had the guards turn against me in a quest (which I think is supposed to happen), they can't be persuaded (even though my speech is 100), and refuse to let me pay the bounty. I go to the Mines (their jail) and do the whole escape quest. I left the city to do other things but came back last night to have the guards attack and seize me right away. The dialogue options are either pay bounty (wont let me), persuade (wont let me), fight (keeping guards hostile towards me), or go to jail. I agree to go to jail and the guard says 'No one leaves the mines', which I have already done so the conversation loops back around to the other options they wont accept. Hopefully there is something in the patch about this because I don't want a whole city shut off for me.

sexchange in console command. If you want to change everything, showracemenu. I heard it's bugged though...
If you change your race, I think your perks reset but you don't get the points back. I just use it to play around with the face if I'm not quite happy with it.

thefil

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice for the OST from DirectSong yet? I preordered and they said they would ship in the week following 11.11.11, but it's been two weeks now and I still haven't heard anything.

Haunted

In Oblivion (I think it was in Oblivion), you couldn't necessarily do all of the guilds/groups/factions. I remember a popular mod that allowed one character to join everything. Skyrim just has this "feature" built in, so it doesn't really bother me. I like being attached to one character, and with a little roleplaying (wearing a mask/hood so that my true identity is hidden, and therefore, no one actually knows that I am the master of all of these different groups), it works perfectly for me.
Oblivion let you become master of everything, you're thinking of Morrowind which had some of the factions at odds with each other.

Edit: I don't disagree with the lack of consequences in the sense that people are never hostile for the vast majority of your choices. I just think that the game should allow you to join anything, providing you prove to the NPCs your resolve to join, or something. Choice and all that.
I think I should be able to join any faction I want, agreed.

I don't think I should be able to become the arch-mage at level 10 and with my magic skills all at 15 (Healing 18!), though. Joining all factions is fine, but moving through the ranks of all of them until you stand at the very top simultaneously makes for poor roleplaying and breaks the suspension of disbelief.

I wish Bethesda would phase out the 'start as a prisoner' thing and just spawn your character in different locations depending on what race one chose. Basically you'd just be a traveler coming in seeking adventure. Argonians could start in Riften, for example, having arrived by boat; Nords could start in Windhelm as a soldier for the Stormcloaks; etc.
Yeah. Dragon Age 1 did it well. :/

Loading screens seem to indicate that the Thieves Guild approach is dependent on your Sneak stat, though I'm pretty sure that's just flavor text.

It still bothers me that Mage vendors still go "I knew you looked like a Mage" when I go to sell Robes to them :/

Brynjolf approaching you happens no matter what, I think. I was a straight warrior and he comes up to me and tells me he knows how I made all my money, implying that I'm a thief.

bengraven

USp3N.png

MOTHERFUCK

I made a stealth archer mage, but my stealth isn't high at all and I have no other theft skills of note.

I went to (main quest spoiler? not super far in and intentionally vague)
Riften to talk to that fellow, but he wouldn't leave me alone about his shitty errand, is it normal to have to do his errand before he "tells" you where your target is?

gblues

Banned
I've got a stuck quest. I picked up a mysterious gem and I'm pointed to Gaul in Riften. Unfortunately I already
dealt with the Skooma problem
so he won't talk to me. Is there anything I can do to improve his disposition?

Dresden

Brynjolf approaching you happens no matter what, I think. I was a straight warrior and he comes up to me and tells me he knows how I made all my money, implying that I'm a thief.

I think the one that bothered me the most was Eola in Markarth
talking about how the player character was a cannibal as a child . . . what? I never knew this. Haven't done the quest she gives you yet but this happens for every character. Always annoyed me.

Skyrim is a wonderful game but everything outside of world-building falls behind so terribly.

tirant

Nice!!! I just found out that Fort Greymoor, west to whiterun has two free horses available :)

Edit: fuck, they run away once you unride them :(

Tobor

tobor i'm sorry but i think there might be something wrong with you.

I liked aspects of New Vegas, like the cooking, but that was hardly revelatory.

Honestly, I think I was overhyped by the love they get as writers. The plot and quests weren't any better than F3. Not enough to justify the worship they get around here. I got as far as getting the suite in New Vegas and just lost interest. That never happened to me in F3. And it's certainly not happening to me in Skyrim.

Now I'm really going to piss you guys off. :p Now that they've added some stuff from Fallout to Elder Scrolls, I'd like to see the reverse, and see Fallout become even more like Elder Scrolls. Lose VATS for starters.

Haunted

talking about how the player character was a cannibal as a child . . . what? I never knew this. Haven't done the quest she gives you yet but this happens for every character. Always annoyed me.

Skyrim is a wonderful game but everything outside of world-building falls behind so terribly.
Wait, what?
I thought that only happened because I tasted human flesh before (I did it to find out its attributes as an ingredient).

Really disappointing if that happens regardless of your prior actions.

A friend of mine just told me I needed to roll an Altmer for my mage character. Since I kinda hate the Altmer now, I decided I'm going to roll an Altmer that does the Imperial questline (
you know, since the Thalmor secretly support the Stormcloaks and all
) and openly admits to worshipping Talos.

Fuck the Thalmor.

You can tell her you're not what she says you are. She may not believe you, but she's a dumb bitch and she deserves to die. I told her, turned around and walked away.

Kyoufu

Hey look, you can fast travel even when encumbered. Just get on your horse and then you're good to go. <3 Shadowmere.

A friend of mine just told me I needed to roll an Altmer for my mage character. Since I kinda hate the Altmer now, I decided I'm going to roll an Altmer that does the Imperial questline (
you know, since the Thalmor secretly support the Stormcloaks and all
) and openly admits to worshipping Talos.

Fuck the Thalmor.

Why do you need to be Altmer?

Dresden

Wait, what?
I thought that only happened because I tasted human flesh before (I did it to find out its attributes as an ingredient).

Really disappointing if that happens regardless of your prior actions.

It's happened on both my characters who've gone there, neither of whom have ever tasted that particular ingredient.

jiien

So the whole city of Markarth is bugged for me. Had the guards turn against me in a quest (which I think is supposed to happen), they can't be persuaded (even though my speech is 100), and refuse to let me pay the bounty. I go to the Mines (their jail) and do the whole escape quest. I left the city to do other things but came back last night to have the guards attack and seize me right away. The dialogue options are either pay bounty (wont let me), persuade (wont let me), fight (keeping guards hostile towards me), or go to jail. I agree to go to jail and the guard says 'No one leaves the mines', which I have already done so the conversation loops back around to the other options they wont accept. Hopefully there is something in the patch about this because I don't want a whole city shut off for me.

Someone else in this thread had that same problem. I don't recall the solution, but it had something to do with the guards specifically in the mine, or something, as they were the source of the bug. Maybe try and get confronted by one of them? Sorry I can't help more.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i suppose i should just stop taking quests from the companions and the thieves guild? They always give shitty ones like "kill the bear inside that house!" or "steal something from someone".

Haunted

It's happened on both my characters who've gone there, neither of whom have ever tasted that particular ingredient.
Fuck, you shouldn't have told me that. :( I was all happy with my own explanation, it made sense.

So i suppose i should just stop taking quests from the companions and the thieves guild? They always give shitty ones like "kill the bear inside that house!" or "steal something from someone".
I think these are just random quests, like the bounties. Not particularly interesting or rewarding.

I actually also want to know if there's a special reward at the end if you do enough (all?) of those, but in light of recent events... I doubt it.

scy

Nah, my mage has 'ducked' maybe twice and I was offered an in to the guild.

Yeah, like I said, the loading screens seem to indicate it, though it's probably not the case. Or, if it is, then the cutoff is really low, like having the skill above 15. If I had to guess, it seems more like they wanted it to be that way but forgot to implement it. Which is a shame, it'd make a lot more sense.

Likewise, some of the structure of the Guilds themselves are a bit off. Especially the Mage Guild; I'm not quite sure why exactly it
is a Staff you're after in the end vs a Spell that requires, say, a combined Magic Skill Level of 300 or something. Seems like an obvious way to make you NEED to be a Mage of some caliber to get it but they instead just give you a Staff to do it

Or perhaps the Thieves Guild should have
demonstrated some of the loss of "Luck" that the Guild was facing directly with your missions; lockpicks breaking when they shouldn't, sudden lights being cast on you, etc. sort of things. Being told one thing and then lolrolling through people undetected while I never fail on locks makes the dialogue a bit hard to swallow

Oh well. I still enjoyed them but, in hindsight, they really could have done a lot more to with them.

As far as the Thieves Guild is concerned,
doing 5 of them in Whiterun, Windhelm, Markarth, and Solitude unlocks a special job for each of those cities. Doing that fully opens up the Thieves Guild and then finishes their questline. After that, though, it's just because you want to do it for no real reason

Smash88

Banned
Shit like this blows my mind....

Why does the PS3 get a patch before PC? On the PC you can just release it on Steam, and it will be on in a few hours, maybe less. Why does Bethesda purposely have to wait until Wednesday to give us a patch, just to sync it at the same time as the 360.

I do not understand the stupidity of companies some times.

Ducarmel

I've got a stuck quest. I picked up a mysterious gem and I'm pointed to Gaul in Riften. Unfortunately I already
dealt with the Skooma problem
so he won't talk to me. Is there anything I can do to improve his disposition?

I had the same problem
speak to one of the thieves in The Ragged Flagon. I think its Vex, you may have to be part of the thieves guild.

Someone else in this thread had that same problem. I don't recall the solution, but it had something to do with the guards specifically in the mine, or something, as they were the source of the bug. Maybe try and get confronted by one of them? Sorry I can't help more.

Better than nothing. Thanks.

AEREC

Shit like this blows my mind....

Why does the PS3 get a patch before PC? On the PC you can just release it on Steam, and it will be on in a few hours, maybe less. Why does Bethesda purposely have to wait until Wednesday to give us a patch, just to sync it at the same time as the 360.

I do not understand the stupidity of companies some times.

PS3 is having serious issues that the 360 and PC are not...they likely just focused on the PS3 patch first.

Double D

So doing stuff for the dark brotherhood basically has me pissing off guards in towns I had previously never been to before. I tried putting my sword away and surrendering but they weren't into it. Rather than murder everyone I just decided to leave. How do I go about just turning myself in so I can go to these towns without everyone freaking out?

Dresden

I know I can, but hell, if I'm gonna be a mage, might as well stick to one of the "spellcasting races". I hardly ever play as one of those.

That magicka bonus and racial will always be good no matter what. Those are five levels where you can boost health instead of magic, and you'll cast more than two schools of magic so 100 enchanting won't help you in that situation. It'll also take quite a while to hit 100 enchanting so your racial bonus will be very useful all throughout, unless you go out of your way to powerlevel enchanting.

Bretons are definitely better for 'powergaming' shit, but who cares, really. Make a snobby elf!

Really?? Daggerfall dejavu. Oh how many times I went to slay a creature in a home..

That magicka bonus and racial will always be good no matter what. Those are five levels where you can boost health instead of magic, and you'll cast more than two schools of magic so 100 enchanting won't help you in that situation. It'll also take quite a while to hit 100 enchanting so your racial bonus will be very useful all throughout, unless you go out of your way to powerlevel enchanting.

Bretons are definitely better for 'powergaming' shit, but who cares, really. Make a snobby elf!

I'm making Ironicus the Talos-worshipping Altmer. He will kill any Thalmor he meets, proudly wear an Amulet of Talos and have a beard the size of a mountain.

Apparently after doing enough of those random quests you can continue the Thieves Guild questline. It's on the TES-wiki at least.

So I hit a brick wall in this game and had to stow it away for a bit. I think the level scaling is screwing me somehow.

How it came to this:

As soon as I reach Whiterun I get a message to check out this dungeon way out in the boonies at the edge of the world. I take the long route and work my way there killing and looting along the way. Once inside I fight my way through the first 75% of the place in relative ease, only popping potions after making mistakes.

Anyway, the last 25% of the dungeon ramped up in difficulty big time. Every encounter with a
Shouting/Casting Draugr
was a knock down drag out fight where I had to use every trick at my disposal to survive. Worn and exhausted after 4 hours of working through the dungeon I found the final chamber at last. There,
on a throne, was a Draugr Death Overlord. He can shout which sends you flying through the air and has a good chance to disarm you, has about a billion hit points, and can wipe me out in two hits.

Now, here's the problem. I couldn't even dent this boss even with all my dirty tricks. My character is a level 18 warrior build laser focused on heavy armor/shield and axe. He has all superior forged steel armor, a shield that resists magic, and two magic axes (with perks for extra bleed). I buffed myself with Venison stew, health and stamina regen potions, a potion to buff one-handed damage, a necklace to buff heavy armor skill, and poison on my weapons.

Even still, a solid shield stun with a power attack maybe knocks a pixel off this guy's supersized health bar, while two hits from the guy and I'm ragdolled in a heap. I've used up most of my healing potions getting all the way here, and while I think my guy should be able to stand toe to toe against just about anything, this fight seems completely out of whack.

Its not like I stumbled onto some random dungeon - I was directed to go to this place when I first reached Whiterun, so considering the level scaling I thought it would be appropriate for my guy to stand a solid chance.

And while I know that I can lower the difficulty, it feels like a cheat to do so, especially considering I'm only playing at normal. And I don't want to use that slider to balance out all the difficulty issues as the game no longer feels rewarding. Once I start using that thing the game will just go downhill, as happened with me and Oblivion.

Is there something I'm missing here? Because for the life of me I don't seem to have a chance in hell against this enemy, and don't feel like backtracking all the way through the dungeon and scurrying away with my tail between my legs. Not with this character, and not considering how buffed he can be in battle. But the disparity between the difficulty of the first 90% of the dungeon compared to the final chamber is just staggering.

Top Bottom