• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
First thing I did when I encountered Astrid was
Kill her.

Same.

"You're not leaving this house until SOMEONE dies!"
You kidnap me from my sleep and expect me to kill innocents, aww hell naw.

So about 30 hours back I helped the companions slay theGiant with a sword and the Flames spell...

30 hours in I want to do the Companions quests but I can't even enter Jorrvaskr, the doors have a "Require Key" on them. I can't even enter the building start shit. I'm guessing this is a bug and if it is so a big Fuck YOU to Bethesda.

Anyone had similar problems?

EDIT reloading an old save shows it as a bug yes. I can go in in that one savegame. WTF is going on?

Alastor

So I hit a brick wall in this game and had to stow it away for a bit. I think the level scaling is screwing me somehow.

Do you have any
silver weapons
? I always have
silver sword
in handy when there's a powerful undead ahead, and I'm (mostly) a mage ;) It's just the best method to deal with them.

Is there anyway to make the "favorites" thing more manageable?

I'm dual-wielding and I find that favorites inevitably switch out the wrong weapon or spell and ...it's just frustrating.

balddemon

Banned
So about 30 hours back I helped the companions slay theGiant with a sword and the Flames spell...

30 hours in I want to do the Companions quests but I can't even enter Jorrvaskr, the doors have a "Require Key" on them. I can't even enter the building start shit. I'm guessing this is a bug and if it is so a big Fuck YOU to Bethesda.

Anyone had similar problems?
wait until between 8am and 8pm?

I'm dual-wielding and I find that favorites inevitably switch out the wrong weapon or spell and ...it's just frustrating.

on pc you can hotkey them to numbers. Press the number once, goes in left hand, twice goes in right hand. Kinda janky with weapons. don't know about console.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What? Are you pressing the confirm button to select items on the favorites menu?

Left trigger to equip in left hand, right trigger to equip in right hand.

On PC, left mouse to equip in left hand, right mouse to equip in right hand (this is actually opposite of the default controls and requires 5 seconds of control configuration).

Do you have any
silver weapons
? I always have
silver sword
in handy when there's a powerful undead ahead, and I'm (mostly) a mage ;) It's just the best method to deal with them.
No I don't, and throughout the dungeon nobody dropped any otherwise I would've held on to at least one of them, if even only to sell.

holy shit

a2ytrdt7pi.gif

nib95

Banned
Shit like this blows my mind....

Why does the PS3 get a patch before PC? On the PC you can just release it on Steam, and it will be on in a few hours, maybe less. Why does Bethesda purposely have to wait until Wednesday to give us a patch, just to sync it at the same time as the 360.

I do not understand the stupidity of companies some times.

Well, the PS3 issues were game breaking for ALL PS3 users. Probably sold more on PS3 as well, though that's besides the point.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So I hit a brick wall in this game and had to stow it away for a bit. I think the level scaling is screwing me somehow.

How it came to this:

As soon as I reach Whiterun I get a message to check out this dungeon way out in the boonies at the edge of the world. I take the long route and work my way there killing and looting along the way. Once inside I fight my way through the first 75% of the place in relative ease, only popping potions after making mistakes.

Anyway, the last 25% of the dungeon ramped up in difficulty big time. Every encounter with a
Shouting/Casting Draugr
was a knock down drag out fight where I had to use every trick at my disposal to survive. Worn and exhausted after 4 hours of working through the dungeon I found the final chamber at last. There,
on a throne, was a Draugr Death Overlord. He can shout which sends you flying through the air and has a good chance to disarm you, has about a billion hit points, and can wipe me out in two hits.

Now, here's the problem. I couldn't even dent this boss even with all my dirty tricks. My character is a level 18 warrior build laser focused on heavy armor/shield and axe. He has all superior forged steel armor, a shield that resists magic, and two magic axes (with perks for extra bleed). I buffed myself with Venison stew, health and stamina regen potions, a potion to buff one-handed damage, a necklace to buff heavy armor skill, and poison on my weapons.

Even still, a solid shield stun with a power attack maybe knocks a pixel off this guy's supersized health bar, while two hits from the guy and I'm ragdolled in a heap. I've used up most of my healing potions getting all the way here, and while I think my guy should be able to stand toe to toe against just about anything, this fight seems completely out of whack.

Its not like I stumbled onto some random dungeon - I was directed to go to this place when I first reached Whiterun, so considering the level scaling I thought it would be appropriate for my guy to stand a solid chance.

And while I know that I can lower the difficulty, it feels like a cheat to do so, especially considering I'm only playing at normal. And I don't want to use that slider to balance out all the difficulty issues as the game no longer feels rewarding. Once I start using that thing the game will just go downhill, as happened with me and Oblivion.

Is there something I'm missing here? Because for the life of me I don't seem to have a chance in hell against this enemy, and don't feel like backtracking all the way through the dungeon and scurrying away with my tail between my legs. Not with this character, and not considering how buffed he can be in battle. But the disparity between the difficulty of the first 90% of the dungeon compared to the final chamber is just staggering.

I've had 1 dungeon do this. Exhausting and long. I mentioned it yesterday or 2 days ago. It was LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. I know you could go on top of the mountain to fight through main boss but not matter, I manned up and went through a very expansive dungeon and the end enemy gets up off his thrown and can 1 or 2 hit me. This was when I about your level. Now I'm 26 so I don't know if I should go back yet but he has some interesting loot I'm sure. Still, I know exactly what you mean on the scaling. I'm playing it on normal too and it's been challenging but the scenario you described makes the game cheap. And I'm not lowering my settings lower either.

Alastor

No I don't, and throughout the dungeon nobody dropped any otherwise I would've held on to at least one of them, if even only to sell.

Well, I don't remember where I got mine, but I surely didn't buy it. If you really don't want to backtrack, maybe just sprint to the chest itn that room (assuming there's one) and check it for loot that might be helpful?

I don't have any other ideas, as you already experimented with potions and poisons. Sorry to hear you're stuck :\

BLACKLAC

When talking to the companion leaders for work is there a specific order for completing each persons task to insure I don't break the quest? Something I should save for last?

Edit: I've already retrieved one fragment for Aela.

vaelic

Banned
PC patch coming Wednesday:

Today we’ve begun rolling out Skyrim’s 1.2 update for PlayStation 3. The update is already available for users in Europe and we will let you know as soon as it’s up in North America. Our current ETA for Xbox 360 and PC players is Wednesday.

So what does the new update cover? Details below…

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

- Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
- Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
- Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
- Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
- Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead
- Dragon corpses now clean up properly
- Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
- Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
- Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
- Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
- Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
- Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
- ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
- Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
- General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

After releasing the 1.2 update, we will continue to monitor forums, blogs, etc. for issues you are reporting, and we will keep you updated on further updates to improve your gameplay experience.

Thanks for playing Skyrim.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I liked aspects of New Vegas, like the cooking, but that was hardly revelatory.

Honestly, I think I was overhyped by the love they get as writers. The plot and quests weren't any better than F3. Not enough to justify the worship they get around here. I got as far as getting the suite in New Vegas and just lost interest. That never happened to me in F3. And it's certainly not happening to me in Skyrim.

Now I'm really going to piss you guys off. :p Now that they've added some stuff from Fallout to Elder Scrolls, I'd like to see the reverse, and see Fallout become even more like Elder Scrolls. Lose VATS for starters.

Ewwwww....

Well, on a bright side writing in Fallout 3 is much, much better than in Skyrim, lol. So there is hope.

this game has some disgusting quests, damn....

the cannibal quest might be the worst i've ever finished in any game. i didn't want to do it at first, but while it's there, why not? i was curious what would happen, maybe there was a way out for the guy, but nothing happened. my character should've stopped me, lol

i feel bad.

i-Lo

Wanted to ask if anyone knew the load time difference between installing the game and running it off of the disc. Since the texture loading issue is apparently fixed (can some one else corroborate with the official source).

Also, do some shouts require more than one dragon soul? I ask since I have unlocked the power to scream flames and have two dragon souls with which I still am not able to unlock it.

Anyone?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

the cannibal quest might be the worst i've ever finished in any game. i didn't want to do it at first, but while it's there, why not? i was curious what would happen, maybe there was a way out for the guy, but nothing happened. my character should've stopped me, lol

i feel bad.

damn, I've got only one intersting quest so far and a couple of amusing encounters.

The game is a dungeon crawler.

nib95

Banned
Ok signed on and there was a 3mb update. is this the one that fixes texture loading issues on the 360? If yes I'll finally install the game. If no, I'll keep playing off the disc.

MrBig

i feel bad.

I just killed them all once we got into that chamber room.
:lol

Ok signed on and there was a 3mb update. is this the one that fixes texture loading issues on the 360? If yes I'll finally install the game. If no, I'll keep playing off the disc.

Yes.

gblues

Banned
So doing stuff for the dark brotherhood basically has me pissing off guards in towns I had previously never been to before. I tried putting my sword away and surrendering but they weren't into it. Rather than murder everyone I just decided to leave. How do I go about just turning myself in so I can go to these towns without everyone freaking out?

Try being less sloppy about your work.

MrBig

did the priest talk to you after you killed them all? did you get a quest failed message, or something else? i'm aquainted with every cannibal npc in skyrim now.

I decided to kill them all after killing the priest. I didn't get a quest complete message, but no failed message either. It's sitting in my finished quests section with the last objective unfulfilled.

Gila

Do Days really matter in this game? Sometimes i wanna fight in werewolf mode and when it stops, I sometimes just wait there for 24 hours until I can use it again. There isn't any like time limit on quests and whatnot is there?

I decided to kill them all after killing the priest. I didn't get a quest complete message, but no failed message either. It's sitting in my finished quests section with the last objective unfulfilled.

ahh, too bad. i thought you killed them all when you entered the room. you're no better than me.

MrBig

Do Days really matter in this game? Sometimes i wanna fight in werewolf mode and when it stops, I sometimes just wait there for 24 hours until I can use it again. There isn't any like time limit on quests and whatnot is there?

Not really. Lower the timescale if you want.
"set timescale to 10" (20 is default, 1 is real-world time)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there a secret shortcut to accelerate the time we wait or rest? I'd like it to be instant, not waiting 13 secs if i want to go from 8:30 pm to 9:30am considering how many times i have to do it.

did the priest talk to you after you killed them all? did you get a quest failed message, or something else? i'm aquainted with every cannibal npc in skyrim now.

He wakes up, thanks you and rewards you with a certain sum of gold the he goes his way, i thought it was a quite morbid way from Bethesda to test out our morality since there's no indicative that you can refuse it but it does have two outcomes.

erragal

How it came to this:

As soon as I reach Whiterun I get a message to check out this dungeon way out in the boonies at the edge of the world. I take the long route and work my way there killing and looting along the way. Once inside I fight my way through the first 75% of the place in relative ease, only popping potions after making mistakes.

Anyway, the last 25% of the dungeon ramped up in difficulty big time. Every encounter with a
Shouting/Casting Draugr
was a knock down drag out fight where I had to use every trick at my disposal to survive. Worn and exhausted after 4 hours of working through the dungeon I found the final chamber at last. There,
on a throne, was a Draugr Death Overlord. He can shout which sends you flying through the air and has a good chance to disarm you, has about a billion hit points, and can wipe me out in two hits.

Now, here's the problem. I couldn't even dent this boss even with all my dirty tricks. My character is a level 18 warrior build laser focused on heavy armor/shield and axe. He has all superior forged steel armor, a shield that resists magic, and two magic axes (with perks for extra bleed). I buffed myself with Venison stew, health and stamina regen potions, a potion to buff one-handed damage, a necklace to buff heavy armor skill, and poison on my weapons.

Even still, a solid shield stun with a power attack maybe knocks a pixel off this guy's supersized health bar, while two hits from the guy and I'm ragdolled in a heap. I've used up most of my healing potions getting all the way here, and while I think my guy should be able to stand toe to toe against just about anything, this fight seems completely out of whack.

Its not like I stumbled onto some random dungeon - I was directed to go to this place when I first reached Whiterun, so considering the level scaling I thought it would be appropriate for my guy to stand a solid chance.

And while I know that I can lower the difficulty, it feels like a cheat to do so, especially considering I'm only playing at normal. And I don't want to use that slider to balance out all the difficulty issues as the game no longer feels rewarding. Once I start using that thing the game will just go downhill, as happened with me and Oblivion.

Is there something I'm missing here? Because for the life of me I don't seem to have a chance in hell against this enemy, and don't feel like backtracking all the way through the dungeon and scurrying away with my tail between my legs. Not with this character, and not considering how buffed he can be in battle. But the disparity between the difficulty of the first 90% of the dungeon compared to the final chamber is just staggering.

First: Level Scaling isn't screwing you, that doesn't make any sense at all. The game will only scale down so far as well; there are things you CANNOT do at low levels that will be more attainable at high levels.

The way enemies work there are several 'tiers' of enemy which are of different challenge levels. As you go further into dungeons you tend to get more of the high tier enemies.
Draugr Death Overlords
in particular are one of the hardest unnamed enemies in the game; there're also really rare and I've seen maybe two my entire 140 hours in the game.

I would suggest that you are just too low level for that fight and you're being a bit stubborn, especially by saying "I think I should be able to beat him". Since it's a numbers based game it's very likely you may not have the numbers to kill him; on master in particular it's pretty common at that level to get slaughtered by the boss level enemies.

That said, if you had power bash and an absorb stamina axe you could destroy him anyway. Vegetable Soup is also far better than venison stew in terms of food. A couple paralyze or slow poisons could deal with him fairly effectively as well. Last resort I'd suggest power bash, attack twice, kite for stamina, and rinse and repeat. Don't underestimate power bash; it's the most powerful ability in the entire game.

I've had 1 dungeon do this. Exhausting and long. I mentioned it yesterday or 2 days ago. It was LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. I know you could go on top of the mountain to fight through main boss but not matter, I manned up and went through a very expansive dungeon and the end enemy gets up off his thrown and can 1 or 2 hit me. This was when I about your level. Now I'm 26 so I don't know if I should go back yet but he has some interesting loot I'm sure. Still, I know exactly what you mean on the scaling. I'm playing it on normal too and it's been challenging but the scenario you described makes the game cheap. And I'm not lowering my settings lower either.
From your description I'm pretty sure we're talking about the very same place.

One extra wrinkle:
On my last exasperated attempt I just ran past the boss and exited through a door just behind him. I ended up on the top of a mountainside. Seeing no balrog around to fight I found a word of power etched into the side of the mountain, and thats when boss #2 appeared (or boss #1 in Wraith form? I have no idea). He also used frost to drop me very quick.

So my latest save is me on the side of the mountain. Guess I'll just bum rush to the word of power and hoof it down the mountain before the wraith boss can reduce me to pulp.

Running away is always a fine tactical option, I just hope I don't keep running into these kinds of overwhelming balance issues. Honestly, once I use that slider it'll become a crutch that breaks the game.

I would suggest that you are just too low level for that fight and you're being a bit stubborn, especially by saying "I think I should be able to beat him". Since it's a numbers based game it's very likely you may not have the numbers to kill him; on master in particular it's pretty common at that level to get slaughtered by the boss level enemies.
My problem isn't that such difficult areas exist. Its that I was specifically tasked to go to this place so I would've imagined the difficulty of the place to be within reason compared to my level. And this boss isn't just *hard*, it feels like I have zero chance of winning, especially since my power blows seem to barely effect the guy's health bar. It'd be a different matter entirely if I was just randomly wandering around and looked into a dungeon and got my ass spanked.

pakkit

Banned
First thing I did when I encountered Astrid was
Kill her.

I was very apprehensive about Astrid at first, especially since the DB had already tried to kill me, but I really enjoy her character. She's got a dark side for sure, but she has a good reason for it and her priorities lie with the well-being of the Brotherhood. In fact, the DB quest line has some excellent writing. Reading Cicero's journals and learning about his descent into madness, or reading the conflicting reports regarding the origin of the Night Mother were both enlightening and interesting.

It's dark humour, and it's actually done pretty well, unlike the brutal, over-the-top writing that usually plagues these types of satires.

The only disappointing part was finding out that a lot of the NPC chatter in the hideout was interchangeable.

erragal

Running away is always a fine tactical option, I just hope I don't keep running into these kinds of overwhelming balance issues. Honestly, once I use that slider it'll become a crutch that breaks the game.

The game skews far more towards 'too easy' than 'too hard'. There's still a bandit chief I have yet to go back and kill from around that level; guy had this nasty glass sword and just one shot me 10/15 times before I gave up and left. Now I doubt he'd even get a swing off.

Jtrizzy

Are there any deals out there on the PC version of this game? I have spent too much on games recently, and will feel guilty spending $60 on this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
From your description I'm pretty sure we're talking about the very same place.

One extra wrinkle:
On my last exasperated attempt I just ran past the boss and exited through a door just behind him. I ended up on the top of a mountainside. Seeing no balrog around to fight I found a word of power etched into the side of the mountain, and thats when boss #2 appeared (or boss #1 in Wraith form? I have no idea). He also used frost to drop me very quick.

So my latest save is me on the side of the mountain. Guess I'll just bum rush to the word of power and hoof it down the mountain before the wraith boss can reduce me to pulp.

Yea, same area. I actually went in on my own and knew about the path upwards on the mountain afterwards. I manually just kept trucking along until I though this was the end. It was as the door leads to behind the altar. Now the Volsung boss outside you get when you get the extra power, he glitched or something.....

Someone tell me if this has happened to you- I get the new power and he spawned. I run a little down the mountain and back up and when he chases me he basically can't get up a last little bit of slope. So, like any man, I sat there and spammed fire on him until he dies. It was slow and took like 4-5 minutes but I got him. I've several enemies get caught in the awesome graphics (lol) and left vulnerable like that.

I went back up through the door and then ran into his highness who proceeded to one kill me then again >< This was when I was lower leveled still. I don't think lowering the difficulty is in my style as much as not making these bosses seemingly invincible so early on and generally making the dungeon difficulty scale up alot around the last 25% as you said. It sucks and is challenging but at that last boss, you don't even feel like you have a chance.

And the running down the mountain thing lol, I did that too at first. I sat in front until I sucked the power up and then ran. Came back up after noticing he wouldn't chase me too far and that's when he got caught in the slope. These powerful god like bosses don't stand a chance against shoddy collision.

Nice GIF Sculli lol

erragal

My problem isn't that such difficult areas exist. Its that I was specifically tasked to go to this place so I would've imagined the difficulty of the place to be within reason compared to my level. And this boss isn't just *hard*, it feels like I have zero chance of winning, especially since my power blows seem to barely effect the guy's health bar. It'd be a different matter entirely if I was just randomly wandering around and looked into a dungeon and got my ass spanked.

I wouldn't assume that a quest you're given assumes you can complete it at that level at all; there's no level restriction on doing anything in the game. There are some barriers of prerequisite quests/items to get into places, but you could also go straight to any number of dwemer ruins and fight centurions at level one.

I know what you mean as I was really frustrated when I slaughtered everything then a bandit chief one shot me! Remember that your shield bash will do mostly terrible damage until you have the perk for that. He's also heavily armored (reduces all your physical damage) and probably immune to bleeding (And to be honest the bleed on axes seems completely inconsequential, the mace perks are significantly better if you want to maximize your damage). He also should be immune to poison and paralyze but isn't because undead are broken in the game; all in all he could end up being the hardest guy you face all game so keep that in mind!

That said, if you had power bash and an absorb stamina axe you could destroy him anyway. Vegetable Soup is also far better than venison stew in terms of food. A couple paralyze or slow poisons could deal with him fairly effectively as well. Last resort I'd suggest power bash, attack twice, kite for stamina, and rinse and repeat. Don't underestimate power bash; it's the most powerful ability in the entire game.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be whipping up some vegetable soup before my next outings.

Guess for now I'll just have to swallow my pride and run my heavily armored Nord ass off, coming back later to seek revenge and restore my honor ;P

Top Bottom