• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Stet

Banned
No that is my one real beef with the game. You'd think after fucking them over they would do more than just give me angry lines of text. I shouldnt be able to get within 100 feet of ulfric or even enter the city.

Or how about (DB questline)
you murder the Emperor's decoy and the guards stop you and say "HALT!" and you can pay them 1500 gold and get off scot free.

My character is heavily leveled in Two-Handed and Heavy Armor. I can't really sneak or pickpocket without the aid of potions. Should I bother trying to do the Thieves guild quest line? I've already given one introductory thieving quest in Riften a shot and got caught right off the bat. I guess I could use potions, but at a certain point that kinda kills the fun, how much sneakiness do I really need for these quests? Is it better to hold off and do them with a different character more suited to that style?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just finished that one, was awesome!

The quest was the first I accepted outside of the opening regions of the game (i.e. Whiterun and its immediate surroundings), but I still haven't worked my way through it yet as I've been doing... well, everything but (save for the main quest line, of course). Now that my list of misc. quests is dwindling down, I imagine I should get around to completing the mission soon if not during my next session.

To give you an idea of how long I've been avoiding A Night to Remember, I believe I was still shy of level 20 when I woke up in Markarth and I'm now on the precipice of reaching level 39.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My character is heavily leveled in Two-Handed and Heavy Armor. I can't really sneak or pickpocket without the aid of potions. Should I bother trying to do the Thieves guild quest line? I've already given one introductory thieving quest in Riften a shot and got caught right off the bat. I guess I could use potions, but at a certain point that kinda kills the fun, how much sneakiness do I really need for these quests? Is it better to hold off and do them with a different character more suited to that style?

My character is a pure melee brute (2 hand weapon + bow + heavy armor with no points put into magicka) and i can still do the thieves guild and mage college quests without too much problems.

scy

The bounty system still needs some work. I find it preposterous that a bounty of 5, and I'm still not sure what even causes a bounty of 5, led to me basically wiping an entire small city off the map.

Well, sure, the actual wiping them out part was more my fault but still. These guards are truly dedicated to stopping any and all crime, I suppose.

So then it's a lot a getting caught at early levels?

Even at low levels you should have a 90% chance on really low value items, though do note that the weight of items plays into your stealing chance. That'll still get you skillups rather quickly. If you're aiming to actually use the tree, you might as well invest up to Night Thief and the just rob sleeping people or something.

Also, if all else fails, save/reload when pickpocketing, though just paying the fine is typically faster.

The dark brotherhood is CONSTANTLY sending assassins to kill me, it's at twice every time I play. What gives?

I kind of wish I was more scared to be on their hit list. I've had them coming after me a few times as well and it's more annoying than anything else. When I got to Riften, everyone kept telling me,
You better watch Maven Blackbriar, she knows people in the Dark Brotherhood.
All I could do was just think lol @ those clowns. Come at me bro, again. Aren't you gonna run out of dark brothers after a while?

Who's the worst of the bunch, Imperials or Stormcloaks. Give me some hard evidence that one of these sides did something really bad, lied during the game or kept something from me. I don't know what to pick.
The stormcloaks are *this* close to being literally nazi's (there's talk of them looking forward to going all Mugabe on the other races who hold farms in Skyrim and to purge the country), the Imperials are the Roman empire after Rome is sacked for the first time, desperately clinging to whatever they have left, which forced them to sign that shitty treaty which banned the worship of Talos. That Stormcloak leader
got help from the Altmer to support his revolution, the same Altmer that pretty much want to wipe all humans of the earth because they think it will grand them immortality or whatever. There is no reason at all to support the Stormcloaks.

pakkit

Banned
Who's the worst of the bunch, Imperials or Stormcloaks. Give me some hard evidence that one of these sides did something really bad, lied during the game or kept something from me. I don't know what to pick.

I went with the Imperials. Yes, they're big government, but here's my reasoning.
In the Thalmor Embassy, you find documents that indicate that Ulfric Stormcloak is a Thalmor informant. I understand that it's because he's at odds with the Empire, but it also makes him a huge hypocrite, sending the elves of Skyrim to ghettos while conspiring in secret with the Elven Supremacists. Furthermore, the Thalmor want the Stormcloaks to win, as it weakens the Empire and leaves room for them to expand their empire.

okenny

Banned
I kind of wish I was more scared to be on their hit list. I've had them coming after me a few times as well and it's more annoying than anything else. When I got to Riften, everyone kept telling me,
All I could do was just think lol @ those clowns. Come at me bro, again. Aren't you gonna run out of dark brothers after a while?

The same factories that make your dragons are the same factory that make your assassins!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not sure what quest you are referring too...I went with he Stormcloaks early on in my game and before visiting a bunch of cities (including solitude), but once you join a side there is no going back.

I'm pretty sure the game makes a big deal out of it right? In that case, I definitely haven't joined anything yet. I'm basically still on the Whiterun set of missions now that I have my house in Markath. I need to get back to it as 35 hours in and I feel like I've hardly done anything.

Haunted

So i'm in Markath now.
Most impressive.
I have visited every major city now and i gotta say this is my favorite by far.
Funny, Markath was my least liked city just because of all the douches in there.

But yeah, probably the most interestingly designed once you're in it.

Solitude looks the most impressive from outside, Morthal is nice and quaint as well.

Haunted

Speaking of Imperial vs Stormcloak, i went with Imperial and accepted a quest where i got to meet that female soldier in the middle of Skyrim.

Yet i can go into the Stormcloak city(Windhelm?) and speak to Ulfric and no one seem to give a shit that im with them. Is that because im not further into the Imperial quests?
It's because the game doesn't have the balls to make your actions have some consequences.

You can be master of the Thieves AND the Fighters AND the Assassins AND the Mages at the same time.
You can champion several of the divines (who are usually at odds with each other) at the same time.
You can pick a side in the civil war without really getting antagonised by the other side.

They need to pit factions against each other more often, it makes things more believable. Have you committ to one or two, like you would have to in an immersive world. My most advanced spells are candlelight and flames and I'm the fucking arch-mage.

:(

Woorloog

Banned
Funny, Markath was my least liked city just because of all the douches in there.

But yeah, probably the most interestingly designed once you're in it.

Solitude looks the most impressive from outside, Morthal is nice and quaint as well.

Well i was talking about the desing. Didn't really stay and get to know people. Gotta figured out how did i end up in there... Awesome quest, really funny and interesting.

SPEA

It's because the game doesn't have the balls to make your actions have some consequences.

You can be master of the Thieves AND the Fighters AND the Assassins AND the Mages at the same time.
You can champion several of the divines (who are usually at odds with each other) at the same time.
You can pick a side in the civil war without getting antagonised by the other side.

Damn right you can! I happen to be the numba 1 gangsta son!

I mean, why am i able to walk into Windhelm as a dark elf and not run in any trouble, while the first thing you see is a bunch of dark elfs getting shit on by some Nords? Why am i able to join the Stormcloaks as a non-Nord, while their whole schtick is "Skyrim for the Nords" and looking forward to purging Skyrim of the other races?

Yeah.. when is that exactly?

thefil

You can pick a side in the civil war without getting antagonised by the other side.

I guess this is an issue. I feel like Bethesda wants to be friendly to the mass market who will be the majority buying the game, and that's fine with me. Personally I'm comfortable self-imposing constraints. I'm not going to join the Thieves guild if I my character is a noble do-gooder, and I'm not going to do the civil war at all with my next character, a lowdown thief who cares nothing for anything but personal gain.

LiquidMetal14

Been to Markath, Whiterun, and Solitude. I would say Solitude is the best one by far. I love the feel of it. I took this like a week ago but forgot to upload it. I forgot to take a daytime pic ><

tesv2011-11-2421-21-3gy78c.png

And this one captures what I love about the game, subtle beauty. I gawk a lot at the scenery and world. Ignore the crappy rock on the left :p

tesv2011-11-2613-04-3bh7ed.png

cbox

Ya me too, though the last guy almost killed me ( I was trying to avoid killing my companion ) But I usually just firebomb/shout their ass off a cliff and laugh my way down the mountainside as I watch their limp bodies slide down the side.

For me I'm just wondering what I did for them to send so many? Is it my constant slaying of innocent hunters in the wilderness?

You can pick a side in the civil war without really getting antagonised by the other side.

They need to pit factions against each other more often, it makes things more believable. Have you committ to one or two, like you would have to in an immersive world. My most advanced spells are candlelight and flames and I'm the fucking arch-mage.

It's no New Vegas.

Beth really should have taken a page from Obsidian's book regarding factions and such. New Vegas handled all of that really well.

Darklord

Banned

If you want to think like that then the Dark Brotherhood breaks it completely. Hero, legend chosen by the gods, leader of a mass serial killer group. But yeah, I get what you mean. Should be cool if you had to chose certain roles and if you want to do others then make a new character.

In the old days, there were various guilds that checked to see whether your skills actually pertained to what you might be doing. IE The Mages Guild required some proficiency in magic, etc. I was rather sad when it was streamlined into everyman, even if the alterations were primarily in skill selection (but I *liked* choosing primary, secondary, and misc skills - and as a result it making sense the fighters guild wasn't all that interested if I majored in stealth or magic). But it doesn't seem like Bethesda has any interest in returning to this sort of system or such similar.

How this escapes them is beyond me.

I too wish factions had intertwining stories and actual consequences for progressing within a certain one. It does sort of feel like less of a single world as it is, and more that each faction lives in their own little world.

Dresden

<- master of House Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni

I do hope Obsidian gets a crack at doing a TES game. As good as New Vegas was, the thought of people like Avellone working with Tamriel lore excites me.

If you want to think like that then the Dark Brotherhood breaks it completely. Hero, legend chosen by the gods, leader of a mass serial killer group. But yeah, I get what you mean. Should be cool if you had to chose certain roles and if you want to do others then make a new character.

That's why I haven't even started the main quest. Conflict of interest when it comes to my character.

LiquidMetal14

How this escapes them is beyond me.

I kind of agree here. I've been thinking this subconsciously from the time I joined the 2nd group. Why doesn't the game get more real and make these unions more meaningful. Or make it like it should be but let me sneak around in some kind of cloak or something to mask me. I don't know but I do agree with Haunted's post. I love the game but am not sure why they couldn't keep some of those things in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I also feel like the guild quest lines seem shorter this time around, compared to Oblivion. It could be because none of them are padded with needless bullshit, I suppose, but I felt like they went by really quickly.

Again, I fucking LOVE this game, so it could be that everything is just flying by from my perspective.

I would hate that. I like being able to join all the factions without having to replay the game. Even if it is replaying with a different character.

But I hate replaying games. I don't mind grinding or leveling a ton of different things but I like having my progress saved on one character.

AEREC

I also feel like the guild quest lines seem shorter this time around, compared to Oblivion. It could be because none of them are padded with needless bullshit, I suppose, but I felt like they went by really quickly.

Again, I fucking LOVE this game, so it could be that everything is just flying by from my perspective.

Ya...I agree, I only did one job for the companions and then they let me into the circle. Companions quest line was really brief.

I've spoken to a frighteningly large number of people who are unable to buy Skyrim because "they're getting it for Christmas".

Telling somebody I'm buying them Skyrim, so that they aren't to go and buy it themselves, and are unable to play it for at least a month, is the kind of present I would reserve for somebody I despised, not a loved one. Just get them a lump of coal; they'll be far more grateful.

this was the position I was in until recently. I knew my wife had gotten me Batman: AC for my birthday (11/30) but wanted Skyrim on that day instead. I was trying to get the hint across without being outright "BITCH I DON'T WANT THAT ONE YET". I only succeeded after bringing home the collector's strategy guide and spending hours reading it, lol. I was playing Skyrim the next day :D

Darklord

Banned
I do hope Obsidian gets a crack at doing a TES game. .

Holy fucking god no. That would just be one giant broken bug. It couldn't even be classified as a game. Obsidian are alright at writing and story but horrific at everything else, especially technical aspects. Far worse than Bethesda has ever been. No graphical upgrade but runs 10 times worse and has 500 new bugs? Yep, that's an Obsidian game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

LMAO

Haunted said:

Seriously though, yes to all of this. Once I realized all of this, my enjoyment of the game plummeted. Choice is meaningless in a game that presents itself as being full of choices.

In the old days...

Welcome to life in the console port era.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Obsidian gets a crack at doing a TES game. As good as New Vegas was, the thought of people like Avellone working with Tamriel lore excites me.

Uggghh, no thank you. TES games have quite enough bugs as it is. What they're terrible at far outweighs anything they lend to a game they make.

Need help from people that have finished the Dark Brotherhood

So i think im at the last mission, where the Night Mother tells me to go talk to some guy about killing the King (this is after the DB gets set on fire, etc), if i kill the king right now, will i mess up
other quests from other factions/main quest line? thanks

scy

I would hate that. I like being able to join all the factions without having to replay the game. Even if it is replaying with a different character.

But I hate replaying games. I don't mind grinding or leveling a ton of different things but I like having my progress saved on one character.

I agree to a point. I mean, I've made a ton of characters just to play differently and I've had little overlap among them on their quests but I like the option to be there. However, I'd like there to be some forced actual need for certain skillsets in these. Off-hand, I don't even think you ever need to be able to cast a real spell to get through the entirety of the Mage Guild for instance. That's my bigger gripe, really.

Top Bottom