• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
skvVR.gif

I see Animated Prostitution mod is in works already.

bengraven

I think the DB and Thieves gear is weaker this time around. I think it's the only clothing in the game that actually feels as if it's 200 years later...yet it looks more out of place and frankly, dull.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be whipping up some vegetable soup before my next outings.

Guess for now I'll just have to swallow my pride and run my heavily armored Nord ass off, coming back later to seek revenge and restore my honor ;P

Have you unlocked Being Etherial yet?

Via TouchArcade, a iOS Skyrim Interactive Map applicaiton.

One of Skyrim's greatest strengths is its ridiculous amount of content. But that also ties into one of its biggest weaknesses: unless you're insane, you're going to have to pass on some of what the game has to offer in order to retain a measure of focus. The in-game map functionality adds to this pain since doesn't let you jot down notes or throw up readily identifiable markers for areas you'd like to go back to.

An unofficial companion app, Dragon Shout, is looking to provide just that -- and more down the road. Dragon Shout is basically a fully interactive Skyrim map that allows for annotated markers for anything, including even alchemy components. In later updates, it'll become a social hub, of sorts, for Skyrim adventurers, as it'll add in marker sharing, party or app-wide chats, pictures, and more. It's an ambitious project.
20111128-fn7sj1djtsw3ehdhfu1qudnsfg-159x300.jpg
20111128-fsn9fxjjkhh9w6e2u3t4bxygqg-159x300.jpg
20111128-qawg3i81t2scxrpbjuhpt1skc4-159x300.jpg

To be clear, here's what's in the first release, which has just been submitted to Apple.

"The first version of the app contains an interactive map where you can drop annotated markers / journal entries down," the developer told us. "For example, yesterday I played Skyrim and left a bunch of dragon scales and bones on the side of a mountain because they were too heavy.

I will come back and get them some other time so I marked it on the map so I know where it's at in the future. Another example is I'm always looking for the right ingredients for potions, so when I come across an important ingredient, I mark it on the map so I know where to get it next time."

Dragon Shout should be out within the next couple of days on iPhone and iPad for $0. You can follow its progress on the app's website or this handy-dandy forum thread the creator started.

I think the DB and Thieves gear is weaker this time around. I think it's the only clothing in the game that actually feels as if it's 200 years later...yet it looks more out of place and frankly, dull.
The Nightingale set is the best looking piece of armor in the game. It owns so much.

"Goddamn, Lydia, get out of the wa....Oh, ok then. Carry on."
That gif is a work of art and got a nice lol from me at work. Good job :)

Also, one more Skyrim moment from my Nordish adventures the other day. On my way to the dungeon of death I mentioned above I was jumped by a thief. She ran up to me, whipped out dual daggers and started going all ninja at me, twirling, flipping, power attacking, the works.

All of this appeared as nothing more than dramatic dance since all of her blows did nothing but clank against my steel shield. I just kindof laughed and let her give me her best and when she looked a little worn out I gave her a nice shield bash followed by a power swing from my axe - cue slo-mo bloody spattered murder. Doom on you thief! Doom on you. :)

I swear to the nine that shield+one-handed is the way to go in this game. Shield perks are nice and having true defensive options outside of spellcasting feels great.

bengraven

Followers don't scale to you?

Fuck me, that would explain why Lydia, wearing full ebony armor, keeps getting smacked down into a kneeling position by bandits that I can two shot.

The Nightingale set is the best looking piece of armor in the game. It owns so much.

I don't know what that is, but I'll assume you're right. I still haven't gotten far in the Thieves Guild and have yet to even find where the DB quest starts (though I'm assuming it's Windhelm).

Nose Master

Anyone having Farkas glitching and screaming at you at all ends of the world: Friend killed him, on console. Apparently you can still behead and kill immortals?

GhaleonEB

None I think but some people feel bad about being part of the Dark brotherhood, and being the Dragonborn at the same time :p

I'm relishing it a bit, actually. Dragonborn by day. Assassin and thief by night. Mwahaha.

(Alternately, saving the world from dragons so there are more people to murder and steal from.)

I just wish the guild quest lines played into this a bit, with the DB at least aknowledging how you're Dragonborn, yet carting about slicing the throat of beggers for some coin. A little self-awareness of the hilarity would go a long way.

LiquidMetal14

I have no idea what that is. Sounds devious though!

It's a shout or power you get when you run into the right altar that teaches you shouts. If you want, look it up but what it basically does is makes you invulnerable and if you keep using it, it gets better and lasts a little longer basically. I just got it so it lasts like 4 seconds but any bit helps.

A better description

The Thu'um reaches out to the Void, changing your form to one that cannot harm, or be harmed.

Uses:

Safely bypass traps.
Jump from heights without taking any damage.
Sprinting while ethereal doesn't drain stamina.
You cannot do anything useful in this form, but you have a few seconds of reprieve from a particularly harrowing situation.

It may not be as useful to you in our particular discussion but it is useful for many other scenarios. LINK FOR YOU

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be whipping up some vegetable soup before my next outings.

Guess for now I'll just have to swallow my pride and run my heavily armored Nord ass off, coming back later to seek revenge and restore my honor ;P

Killing the
dragon priest Volsung
is actually quite easy if you first
kill the Draugur Death Overlord in the prior room. He drops a shield of cold nullification that basically renders Volsung's attacks to nothing. The bastard has an incredible amount of HP though, so it will take some time to kill him

Nose Master

Seriously. Where is the fence that shows up in Whiterun when you do the repeatable
Thieves Guild
quests?
I did the one for the Battle-Born's.

GhaleonEB

Seriously. Where is the fence that shows up in Whiterun when you do the repeatable
Thieves Guild
quests?
I did the one for the Battle-Born's.

I'd like to know this as well.

Speaking of which, I did that quest in Whiterun and two days later (DB spoiler)
broke into the Clan Battle-Born house and murdered the daughter, while her parents were awake and wandering the house. Got out undetected.
I though it was hilarious after winning his favor from that quest.

Killing the
dragon priest Volsung
is actually quite easy if you first
kill the Draugur Death Overlord in the prior room. He drops a shield of cold nullification that basically renders Volsung's attacks to nothing. The bastard has an incredible amount of HP though, so it will take some time to kill him
Yeah,
its his friend in the last chamber of the dungeon that I had all the problems with. When I ran past him and ended up atop Balrog mountain is when his buddy, Wraith McFuckYouSon appears and my morale completely shattered ;P

But again, thanks for the advice, it looks like I've falsely believed that quests specifically handed out would be level appropriate and it seems that's not the case. It also seems like under certain cases the very end areas of dungeons may scale wildly out of the balance to the earlier rooms. Well, I don't like it, but knowing is half the battle and all that.

Dresden

So choosing what race you are will affect what damage you do, how fast you run, etc.

Basically High Elves run and deal 8% more damage than the other races and Orcs deal 4% more.
Argonian Male: 1.01
Argonian Female: 1.00

Breton Male: 1.00
Breton Female: 0.95

Dark Elf Male: 1.00
Dark Elf Female: 1.00

High Elf Male: 1.08
High Elf Female: 1.08

Imperial Male: 1.00
Imperial Female: 1.00

Khajiit Male: 1.00
Khajiit Female: 0.95

Nord Male: 1.03
Nord Female: 1.03

Orc Male: 1.04
Orc Female: 1.04

Redguard Male: 1.00
Redguard Female: 1.00

Wood Elf Male: 0.98
Wood Elf Female: 1.00

Dumb question time.

Am I doing it wrong by having overpowered swords if I want to increase the 1H skill?

Does the skill increase per hit or per kill? I ask because them fools are dead with one hit nowadays.

Cudder

I don't want to leave Whiterun until I beat the Companions questline, which I believe I did.
I beat Kodlak's werewolf soul, etc.
. But it is still telling me to go to the leaders for work. Can I ever get that shit out of my quest log?

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah,
its his friend in the last chamber of the dungeon that I had all the problems with. When I ran past him and ended up atop Balrog mountain is when his buddy, Wraith McFuckYouSon appears and my morale completely shattered ;P

But again, thanks for the advice, it looks like I've falsely believed that quests specifically handed out would be level appropriate and it seems that's not the case. It also seems like under certain cases the very end areas of dungeons may scale wildly out of the balance to the earlier rooms. Well, I don't like it, but knowing is half the battle and all that.
Having read about your issues, I looked up an end of dungeon guy who was giving me fits over the weekend and now I can honestly say that some things are just plain hard to kill if your level isn't high enough.

If I didn't feel bad about Lydia dying during this particular fight, I would've kept going because I took the big bad out, but I reloaded an earlier save instead and have left him for later.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't want to leave Whiterun until I beat the Companions questline, which I believe I did.
I beat Kodlak's werewolf soul, etc.
. But it is still telling me to go to the leaders for work. Can I ever get that shit out of my quest log?

Not out of the miscellaneous section no. Just untrack it and forget about it unless you need easy gold.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy shit I just got eaten by a Dragon.

Why are you attacking a dragon from the front? You've played enough RPGs to know standard dragon fighting position. COME ON!

Is anyone trying to play this without fast travelling?

Why the fuck would I do that? So many quests require you walk across the fucking world and back. It's not like using fast travel reduces the game to a 10 hour affair, or something. I use fast travel religiously, and I still have 80 hours in the game.

Is anyone trying to play this without fast travelling?

Yes, there have been several of us in this thread who have noted that we don't use fast traveling at all. I personally love to explore the world. The problem is that I get easily distracted when I go off on a quest that has me walking across the map. Too many cool things to check out.

I also use Whiterun as my base of operations simply because it is centrally located.

LiquidMetal14

CHEEZMO™;33028637 said:
I started out doing it for the first few days.

70 hours in and I FT everywhere and feel kinda bad about it :/

I only started fast travel about 25 hours into the game. I actually took a caravan to get to Markath to get my house and that took about 8 hours of game time to get to that point. In the meantime I tackled a couple of missions but left after I got the one mission to back into the underground spider den to retrieve and item. I'm back to my Whiterun story progression now. I want to walk the whole world so I have been using fast travel a lot in the recent hours but not in the grand scheme of things.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yes, there have been several of us in this thread who have noted that we don't use fast traveling at all. I personally love to explore the world. The problem is that I get easily distracted when I go off on a quest that has me walking across the map. Too many cool things to check out.

I also use Whiterun as my base of operations simply because it is centrally located.

I don't really see why you couldn't explore AND use fast travel. I've explored almost the entirety of the map, and I use fast travel all the time. What I tend to do is fast travel for quests, and then when I just feel like wandering, I travel around.

That way, questing is efficient, and I don't feel tied to an objective when i decide to wander off in some direction.

TheMan

If a follower's level doesn't scale with the player, what determines their level? Is it determined by the level of the player when he firsts asks the companion to join, or do different followers have different levels?

I'm relishing it a bit, actually. Dragonborn by day. Assassin and thief by night. Mwahaha.

(Alternately, saving the world from dragons so there are more people to murder and steal from.)

I just wish the guild quest lines played into this a bit, with the DB at least aknowledging how you're Dragonborn, yet carting about slicing the throat of beggers for some coin. A little self-awareness of the hilarity would go a long way.

Weird. The DB is obsessed with nothingness, Sithis and his "void". Why would they want to save the world from being devoured by Alduin?

bengraven

Where are good places to find Words...besides the dragon icons on the map and the main quest?

Are they down in those nord ruins?

I don't really see why you couldn't explore AND use fast travel. I've explored almost the entirety of the map, and I use fast travel all the time. What I tend to do is fast travel for quests, and then when I just feel like wandering, I travel around.

That way, questing is efficient, and I don't feel tied to an objective when i decide to wander off in some direction.

It's just a personal choice for my play style. I'm not saying they can't work together, I just prefer to walk the world. It makes it feel more epic and I almost always discover new and interesting things, even if they aren't quest related, when I'm going on a walkabout.

That said, I do use fast travel from time to time when I have to sell of gear. Good merchants are few and far between and I hate dumping stuff that is useful. That's about the only time I use it though, otherwise it's off on a hike for me.

And it should also be noted that I've played all the Elder Scrolls like that since Morrowind. Tried to do it in Daggerfall, but there just wasn't enough unique and interesting terrain then.

Lakitu

st5fu
This is crazy. I've never had that much trouble with dragons before. This piece of shit has killed me 15 times in a row. I'm about to rage quit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Where are good places to find Words...besides the dragon icons on the map and the main quest?

Are they down in those nord ruins?

Talk to the head of the greybeards (Agnier or whatever his name is) and he'll mark word locations on your map for you.

Top Bottom