• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

jiien

In Oblivion (I think it was in Oblivion), you couldn't necessarily do all of the guilds/groups/factions. I remember a popular mod that allowed one character to join everything. Skyrim just has this "feature" built in, so it doesn't really bother me. I like being attached to one character, and with a little roleplaying (wearing a mask/hood so that my true identity is hidden, and therefore, no one actually knows that I am the master of all of these different groups), it works perfectly for me.

I'm sure mods can change that though, if that's what you prefer.

Edit: I don't disagree with the lack of consequences in the sense that people are never hostile for the vast majority of your choices. I just think that the game should allow you to join anything, providing you prove to the NPCs your resolve to join, or something. Choice and all that.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

ray_jwcfmu.gif

AEREC

In Oblivion (I think it was in Oblivion), you couldn't necessarily do all of the guilds/groups/factions. I remember a popular mod that allowed one character to join everything. Skyrim just has this "feature" built in, so it doesn't really bother me. I like being attached to one character, and with a little roleplaying (wearing a mask/hood so that my true identity is hidden, and therefore, no one actually knows that I am the master of all of these different groups), it works perfectly for me.

I'm sure mods can change that though, if that's what you prefer.

Edit: I don't disagree with the lack of consequences in the sense that people are never hostile for the vast majority of your choices. I just think that the game should allow you to join anything, providing you prove to the NPCs your resolve to join, or something. Choice and all that.

Im pretty sure you could do that in Oblivion.

Loam

So do items ever reset to their original placement in this game? I've gotten into a few battles in some key locations which resulted in the entire interior of the building being blown across the floor and its been that way for several in-game days now. Normally I wouldn't really care, but it looks rather bizarre to see NPCs treading through piles of scattered pots, books, and misc food items.

Morokh

I do hope Obsidian gets a crack at doing a TES game. As good as New Vegas was, the thought of people like Avellone working with Tamriel lore excites me.

Considering that everything I simply love about Skyrim is exactly what I don't like about New Vegas .. no ! .... just NO !

As for being able to join every faction, the decision to make it available, surely come with the fact that most of the players won't ever play the game twice, huge as it is ....
I personally am 90 hours in and I only finished the Mages guild and most of my friends who have done everything and played less won't touch the game ever again, so limiting the guilds access would in a sense cut some content from many players.

I'm not, like many of you a big fan of this, but well .. I can understand.

For the Dark brotherhood not being really compatible with the main plot, putting your character in the shoes of a Hero, just take a look at our own world-history and check how many so-called heroes had a dark-side, or made some pretty nasty things at a time in their lives :)

I just had one question btw, I'm level 45 and I've never seen any Daedric weapons or armor, is it normal ?

Also, is there some unenchanted thalmor robe somewhere in the game ?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just had one question btw, I'm level 45 and I've never seen any Daedric weapons or armor, is it normal ?

I think you can only get daedric weapons through smithing. I wish there was some dragon weapons too so that i could use those extra dragon scales and plates i've got.

Haha @ the Escape key fix. I'm pretty sure I tried to press that key several times in the beginning, now I'm sooo used to the Tab key that I accidentally pressed that key in other games to exit menus.

I'm guilty of this too. Now i press Tab to exit menus in WoW, despite me playing this game since 2006.

Considering that everything I simply love about Skyrim is exactly what I don't like about New Vegas .. no ! .... just NO !

As for being able to join every faction, the decision to make it available, surely come with the fact that most of the players won't ever play the game twice, huge as it is ....
I personally am 90 hours in and I only finished the Mages guild and most of my friends who have done everything and played less won't touch the game ever again, so limiting the guilds access would in a sense cut some content from many players.

I'm not, like many of you a big fan of this, but well .. I can understand.

For the Dark brotherhood not being really compatible with the main plot, putting your character in the shoes of a Hero, just take a look at our own world-history and check how many so-called heroes had a dark-side, or made some pretty nasty things at a time in their lives :)

Also, is there some unenchanted thalmor robe somewhere in the game ?

Oh damn, at what point during the Dark Brotherhood quest do you ruin the main quest line? I need to know before i go any further, THANKS

Zeliard

Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely

Hope this affects Dead Thrall zombies disappearing as well.

Running around in my Daedra Armor set with a Dragon Priest mask on and two conjured Daedra Lords beside me....

... I AM THE DAEMON GOD.

SKYRIM

Morokh

Oh damn, at what point during the Dark Brotherhood quest do you ruin the main quest line? I need to know before i go any further, THANKS

None I think but some people feel bad about being part of the Dark brotherhood, and being the Dragonborn at the same time :p

Tobor

<- master of House Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni

I do hope Obsidian gets a crack at doing a TES game. As good as New Vegas was, the thought of people like Avellone working with Tamriel lore excites me.

Michaelscottnooooooooooooo.gif

Keep Obsidian far away from my Elder Scrolls.

None I think but some people feel bad about being part of the Dark brotherhood, and being the Dragonborn at the same time :p

I know im a slowpoke and you guys have probably talked about it already, but does that mean that its impossible to mess up other questlines in Skyrim? It would be nice to play without worrying about that, no way im starting a new save to try other things. Thanks

I have a question. In a blog post I think from Giant Bomb, somebody mentions 'picking up' and carrying lifeless things like bodies. And there is a video on youtubes of a guy picking up and carrying a pot and then putting it over a guards head. I remember a mission in Fallout New Vegas where you could pick stuff up, like, hold it (sort of like in Half Life when you "Use" an object, you carry it in front of you), and I remember it early from Fallout 3.

but I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to "pick stuff up" without adding it to inventory. Like, can you carry items? Is there a button for it? I'm on the 360

Dresden

I have a question. In a blog post I think from Giant Bomb, somebody mentions 'picking up' and carrying lifeless things like bodies. And there is a video on youtubes of a guy picking up and carrying a pot and then putting it over a guards head. I remember a mission in Fallout New Vegas where you could pick stuff up, like, hold it (sort of like in Half Life when you "Use" an object, you carry it in front of you), and I remember it early from Fallout 3.

but I can't for the life of me seem to figure out how to "pick stuff up" without adding it to inventory. Like, can you carry items? Is there a button for it? I'm on the 360

Just hold A.

i-Lo

Wanted to ask if anyone knew the load time difference between installing the game and running it off of the disc. Since the texture loading issue is apparently fixed (can some one else corroborate with the official source).

Also, do some shouts require more than one dragon soul? I ask since I have unlocked the power to scream flames and have two dragon souls with which I still am not able to unlock it.

1.2 patch notes are out:
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/28/skyrim-1-2-update/

Very few scripting fixes listed which.. scares me?

One thing that really bothers me in release notes is how PR people get a hold of this and rewrite bugs to seem less severe:

"improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)"

Uhhh... yeah ... try ... game ruining errors that ALL long-term players are experiencing.

I've never got into enchanting weapons with the short time I had with Oblivion but in Skyrim I ran into an Orcish bow that had a fire effect and it is insane. I need to learn how to recharge them, but it's MUCH stronger than my previous bow which had a higher damage rating. Is there anybody here who is stil rolling with or prefer vanilla weapons, and why?

I found a way to get beheaded people running around.

Start a fight near a door that enters to a new location.
Have a companion (for me it was a Dremora) do a decapitation kill.
Before the animation ends, enter new location.
Wait like 5 seconds.
Come back out.
Now you can pretend you're playing Serious Sam!

Dresden

I've never got into enchanting weapons with the short time I had with Oblivion but in Skyrim I ran into an Orcish bow that had a fire effect and it is insane. I need to learn how to recharge them, but it's MUCH stronger than my previous bow which had a higher damage rating. Is there anybody here who is stil rolling with or prefer vanilla weapons, and why?
My guy doesn't enchant and I don't want to bother with alchemy. That's about it.

I get kind of annoyed with recharging weapons all the time -- it's just not really my thing. So, I've been running around with non-enchanted weapons mostly. Also, my enchanting isn't really high enough to add a good enough bonus for me to bind anything to my axe, so I'm waiting for a bit.

no, name of this sword?

Blade's Sword
, found in
Sky Temple Ruins
. It scales very nicely with Smithing improvements (at least as good as Ebony).

I get kind of annoyed with recharging weapons all the time -- it's just not really my thing. So, I've been running around with non-enchanted weapons mostly. Also, my enchanting isn't really high enough to add a good enough bonus for me to bind anything to my axe, so I'm waiting for a bit.

If you get rechargable Soul Gem it solves your recharging problem.

balddemon

Banned

pfft I love my enchanted gear. -100% Destruction and Conjuration cost, +40% Bow Damage, +25 Light Armor, 37% Fire Resist (would have done Ice Resist since I'm a Dark Elf, but I don't have a Resist Ice enchantment. However, now i have 87% Fire Resist), and 37% Shock Resist. All on Glass Armor (Legendary) which will soon hit the Armor Cap. Pretty excited.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Just take the weakest version of any enchants just so you can get hundreds of charges. At least you'll get a nice glowing weapon!

Davedough

Ok, I have a semi-game breaking bug that happened to me. Wondering if it's happened to anyone else and if you fixed it.

To preface... I don't have a save I can go back to that wouldn't have me losing hours of playtime.

So, I've been dabbling with The Companions questline off and on and really only advancing it when I'm near Whiterun. I got to the point to where I
killed the Silver Hand
and went back with Vilkas to Whiterun. Upon entry into Whiterun, Vilkas told me that
the rest of the group is probably already at the funeral and to join him.
. Well, I decided to first spend some money getting my smithing and enchanting up, selling my booty and trying on my new plate gear.

So, I finally go up to
the funeral
and everything plays out seemlingly like it should. That hunter chick starts talking and the several other Companions join in to give their words and then, they all just sit there and stare at me. The hunter chick said we should all meet down in the Underforge, but no one goes there.

I looked online and the Skyforge blacksmith is suppose to say something to advance that part of the quest, but he's nowhere to be found in town. I've tried sleeping, waiting, reloading, going to another town, finishing other quests, and everyone is still sitting around the Skyforge waiting for something to happen. I even tried attacking someone there to pop them out of it, but that just made the entire town want my head.

Anyone have this happen to them? I cant buy a house because the Provinci is at the Skyforge and anyone there I try to talk to says "This person is busy". I cant complete the quest at all and cant do anything in Whiterun anymore because all the NPCs minus the vendors are up there standing around a bonfire.

scy

Alright, so I've got my free Conjuration and Destruction spells. What do you recommend enchanting on the Boots and Gauntlets?

Resists, probably. My Mage dabbles in dual Swords at times so I used that as well.

I get kind of annoyed with recharging weapons all the time...

This, pretty much. I remade my Archer's weapons to all have "A" names so getting to them for recharging is less time consuming :/

Dresden

Ok, I have a semi-game breaking bug that happened to me. Wondering if it's happened to anyone else and if you fixed it.

To preface... I don't have a save I can go back to that wouldn't have me losing hours of playtime.

So, I've been dabbling with The Companions questline off and on and really only advancing it when I'm near Whiterun. I got to the point to where I
killed the Silver Hand
and went back with Vilkas to Whiterun. Upon entry into Whiterun, Vilkas told me that
the rest of the group is probably already at the funeral and to join him.
. Well, I decided to first spend some money getting my smithing and enchanting up, selling my booty and trying on my new plate gear.

So, I finally go up to
the funeral
and everything plays out seemlingly like it should. That hunter chick starts talking and the several other Companions join in to give their words and then, they all just sit there and stare at me. The hunter chick said we should all meet down in the Underforge, but no one goes there.

I looked online and the Skyforge blacksmith is suppose to say something to advance that part of the quest, but he's nowhere to be found in town. I've tried sleeping, waiting, reloading, going to another town, finishing other quests, and everyone is still sitting around the Skyforge waiting for something to happen. I even tried attacking someone there to pop them out of it, but that just made the entire town want my head.

Anyone have this happen to them? I cant buy a house because the Provinci is at the Skyforge and anyone there I try to talk to says "This person is busy". I cant complete the quest at all and cant do anything in Whiterun anymore because all the NPCs minus the vendors are up there standing around a bonfire.
From what I remember, three things happen after that -
the blacksmith asks you to fetch a piece of the Wuuthrad from Kodlak's room, and then in the Underforge everyone meets before the smith comes in with the finished axe.
I dunno, try grabbing that piece to see if it moves the quest forward? Sucks to hear it bugged out for you.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Michaelscottnooooooooooooo.gif

Keep Obsidian far away from my Elder Scrolls.

I don't understand. Trading medocre writing and quests (mostly) for good writing and good quests while retaining everything else?

YES PLEASE

One thing that really bothers me in release notes is how PR people get a hold of this and rewrite bugs to seem less severe:

"improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)"

Uhhh... yeah ... try ... game ruining errors that ALL long-term players are experiencing.

Eh, that's not just PR. I work on publicly used software, and Id write it the same way. Everyone knows the reason, but, no sense hanging yourself.

I just want a world where my choices do more than angry lines of text. i think that might be a fundamental issue with the game design itself and the 'be anything' start to the game.

I mean
the jarls chilling at the table with ulrich act like I told on their moms for stealing candy when I just got done killing 100s of their soldiers and running them out of their territory. this is the same game where you go to jail for stealing an apple.

Davedough

From what I remember, three things happen after that -
the blacksmith asks you to fetch a piece of the Wuuthrad from Kodlak's room, and then in the Underforge everyone meets before the smith comes in with the finished axe.
I dunno, try grabbing that piece to see if it moves the quest forward? Sucks to hear it bugged out for you.

Yeah, I tried to go down there and there's no piece there at all. There was a "Mysterious gem" and I grabbed that, but it didn't do anything for the quest. =(

Dresden

I just want a world where my choices do more than angry lines of text. i think that might be a fundamental issue with the game design itself and the 'be anything' start to the game.
I wish Bethesda would phase out the 'start as a prisoner' thing and just spawn your character in different locations depending on what race one chose. Basically you'd just be a traveler coming in seeking adventure. Argonians could start in Riften, for example, having arrived by boat; Nords could start in Windhelm as a soldier for the Stormcloaks; etc.

scy

I wish Bethesda would phase out the 'start as a prisoner' thing and just spawn your character in different locations depending on what race one chose. Basically you'd just be a traveler coming in seeking adventure. Argonians could start in Riften, for example, having arrived by boat; Nords could start in Windhelm as a soldier for the Stormcloaks; etc.

I'm kind of curious if they even brainstorm the start or if it's just an assumed Step 1 and they go from there.

Yeah, I tried to go down there and there's no piece there at all. There was a "Mysterious gem" and I grabbed that, but it didn't do anything for the quest. =(

It's in a drawer, although if the blacksmith is gone he won't be there to give it to anyway. It may be that he died at some point. Did a dragon ever attack the city?

Dresden

The blacksmith is immortal, so it can't be that.

scy said:
I'm kind of curious if they even brainstorm the start or if it's just an assumed Step 1 and they go from there.
It's probably just tradition by this point.

Top Bottom