• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Where are good places to find Words...besides the dragon icons on the map and the main quest?

Are they down in those nord ruins?

A good place to start, but you'd be surprised where you find some of them.
The Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, for example.

A good method is to use your shouts a lot in or around towns. This'll gain attention, and you'll receive letters from your mysterious benefactor telling you where to find more words.

I got cocky :(
Same here. I'm a Nord dammit.

If you've got a shield and some perks its more than doable. And it feels so damn good to block and bash a dragon up close and personal.

On the fast travel front I tend to walk/hunt 99% of the time, only using fast travel to go back to unexplored dungeons I passed up because I was carrying too much loot. A good across-the-world trek while hunting is one of my favorite open world past-times, and its nigh flawless in Skyrim.

If you've got a shield and some perks its more than doable. And it feels so damn good to block and bash a dragon up close and personal.

It's the only way to kill a damn dragon, dammit.

dw70vl.jpg

OK, I'm stupid and don't know how to drop in images now.
Maybe try IMGur.

I tend to fast-travel only when doing menial tasks. For example, if I'm in Markarth and I need a material for smithing, but they don't have it, I'll fast travel until I find a shop that does. Then I'll fast travel back to Markarth and continue what I was doing. I use fast travel only for utility - never to travel for quests or exploration.

I'm relishing it a bit, actually. Dragonborn by day. Assassin and thief by night. Mwahaha.

(Alternately, saving the world from dragons so there are more people to murder and steal from.)

I just wish the guild quest lines played into this a bit, with the DB at least aknowledging how you're Dragonborn, yet carting about slicing the throat of beggers for some coin. A little self-awareness of the hilarity would go a long way.

I'm glad they don't. My assassin character is no Dragonborn and definitely no savior, I don't need them acknowledging that.

http://i.imgur.com/VpQBz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Aaaw yeah.

[quote="Deified Data, post: 33029444"]I tend to fast-travel only when doing menial tasks. For example, if I'm in Markarth and I need a material for smithing, but they don't have it, I'll fast travel until I find a shop that does. Then I'll fast travel back to Markarth and continue what I was doing. I use fast travel only for utility - never to travel for quests or exploration.[/QUOTE]
This.

Luthos

For the guys who play mages and made some custom enchanted armor once you got high enchanting... what style robe/clothes did you use? I've seen some called College Robes, that look like the Expert robes. I think I might use those, with a circlet or something.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gaf about werewolves..

Should I accept the Companions offer?

Yes. There's no down side besides losing your rested bonus. If you don't like it, there's an out later in the game.

Dreaver

Ranging is so awesome in this game. I have loads of perks in it and I do pretty good damage with it (level 25).

I have 33 hours played and I just arrived at Riften (I only did Whiterun and exploring) and oh my god, I have such an insane amount of quests now... I've the feeling I've found/done less then 20% of all quests together with all ready so many hours played.

Ranging is so awesome in this game. I have loads of perks in it and I do pretty good damage with it (level 25).

I have 33 hours played and I just arrived at Riften (I only did Whiterun and exploring) and oh my god, I have such an insane amount of quests now... I've the feeling I've found/done less then 20% of all quests together with all ready so many hours played.
And considering just one cave or dungeon could take you 4+ hours to explore and clear, the sheer breadth of content in this game puts it on another level entirely.

I have three characters now too, just for variety, A Nord shieldbearer, A Khajit thief/assassin and a Dark Elf pure mage lass. Game of the ages right here.

Decided to move a bit in the main quest to get (important spoilers for the MQ)
Dragonrend Shout
, these Ancient Dragons are becoming a pain.

So I went to
Blackreach
, and I'm torn on whether it was a good idea to create such a big-ass location.

Got tons of soul gems though, going to reach Enchanting 100 with it I think. Then just Extra Effect perk, and I'm ready for my Daedric Armor. :D

I have three characters now too, just for variety, A Nord shieldbearer, A Khajit thief/assassin and a Dark Elf pure mage lass. Game of the ages right here.

I have the same, my Steam count shows 102 hours so far >.<

FINALBOSS

Banned
For the guys who play mages and made some custom enchanted armor once you got high enchanting... what style robe/clothes did you use? I've seen some called College Robes, that look like the Expert robes. I think I might use those, with a circlet or something.

I went to the clothes store in Solitude and found some Mourner's clothes or something...like blue-ish funeral ones. Thought they looked cool. All the robes look exactly the same except the one you get from Mage's Guild...and even that is kinda meh. They really skimped on the robe coolness.

Dreaver

And considering just one cave or dungeon could take you 4+ hours to explore and clear, the sheer breadth of content in this game puts it on another level entirely.

Yeah I agree. It's so insane. I've had various dungeons which took me about 45 minutes. There's so much to explore, I think I've explored around 1/3th of the map though.

The amount of speech of each character keeps me amazed as well. So many NPCs with text... (I read everything).

Lakitu

st5fu
I must have died 30 times in the last 20 minutes. Now I'm in ...
Azura's Star and the Dremora are slaughtering me. I'm using everything, they're immune to shouts it seems. They always seem to get through my Greater Ward and they're just buttfucking me into Oblivion. I hate them.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, that kinda sucks... i did the trick to get another wife on the PC version...

Divorce

Since divorce is not actually an option in Skyrim, you can use these console commands if you are not happy with your choice of marriage.

Kill your spouse
Enter console command resetquest RelationshipMarriage
Remove the Amulet of Mara from your inventory.
Enter console command SetStage RelationshipMarriage 10
Use console commands resurrect and setrelationshiprank player 4 on your spouse to resurrect them.

After following these steps you can get a new Amulet of Mara and find a new partner to marry.

(Since console players do not have the ability to use console commands, the only way to truly be rid of your spouse is by murdering them.)

So I killed Ysolda, entered the console commands, went to Karita in Dawnstar's inn. Turns out she's not supposed to be married, so i used another command that give her the dialogue option to marry.

Everything fine so far, the wedding at Riften was good, then i tell her to go to my house in Solitude.

4 (ingame) days later... she's no where to be found, she's not in Solitude, she's not in any of my 3 houses, she's not in the inn where she was before... So now i'm stuck with no wife at all and i can't use the trick above to get another one since i have no idea where she is!

SKYRIM

gdt

Why cant i become Thane in Riften? ive done the theives guild, and a couple of quests in the City. im trying to take it off my list dammit.

NBtoaster

Well, that kinda sucks... i did the trick to get another wife on the PC version...

So I killed Ysolda, entered the console commands, went to Karita in Dawnstar's inn. Turns out she's not supposed to be married, so i used another command that give her the dialogue option to marry.

Everything fine so far, the wedding at Riften was good, then i tell her to go to my house in Solitude.

4 (ingame) days later... she's no where to be found, she's not in Solitude, she's not in any of my 3 houses, she's not in the inn where she was before... So now i'm stuck with no wife at all and i can't use the trick above to get another one since i have no idea where she is!

SKYRIM

If you can find her object id you can use player.moveto [id] to teleport her to you.

Hyunkel6

I lost Lydia :(. Traded her for Mercurio. She said she'll go back to the house, but never showed up. Is it possible to have both Lydia and the wife in Whiterun's house?

What? Are you pressing the confirm button to select items on the favorites menu?

Left trigger to equip in left hand, right trigger to equip in right hand.

On PC, left mouse to equip in left hand, right mouse to equip in right hand (this is actually opposite of the default controls and requires 5 seconds of control configuration).

I'm playing on PS3.

When I am in the "Favorites" menu (accessed by pressing Up on the D-pad), I can set a quick slot to D-pad right and left.

However, I feel like I don't have control over which hand the thing gets equipped to when I quick-swap over to it.

Here is a scenario:

I have set my quick swap to be 1. Fire Axe and 2. Conjure Familiar.

I currently have Left Hand: Fire Axe and Right Hand: Frost Axe.

I quick swap to 2. At this point, Conjure Familiar replaces my Fire Axe on my left hand.

I cast my familiar. Now I try to quick swap to 1 to re-equip my fire axe.

Except instead of going to my left hand, it goes to my right hand, putting away my frost axe.

So my question is: Is there anyway to make the game remember your individual hand setup?

As an Imperial, I'm really torn on my perks and builds.

I'm level 11 right now and pretty high in destruction, restoration, conguration and equipped with magic boosting attire I've found so far. I've been increasing my mana with each level.

Right now, i feel like everything is important but that's likely not the case. Ideally, I'd like to be a battle mage. Use magic and when that runs out, hack n slash.

How should I go about it?

Also, should I start speeding up a little? I'm level 11 with 9hours in the game and only just now reach Whiterun.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you can find her object id you can use player.moveto [id] to teleport her to you.

Yeah, but where can i find npc ids? A quick google only give me those for Oblivion. :(

Unless someone can check Karita in Dawnstar's inn for me!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I lost Lydia :(. Traded her for Mercurio. She said she'll go back to the house, but never showed up. Is it possible to have both Lydia and the wife in Whiterun's house?

Yep. My wife and Lydia both live in my house in Whiterun. Lydia sits in my room and guards a sweet roll all day.

balddemon

Banned

SKYRIM

i want to do this, but i can't kill ysolda. she's invincible. da fuck

Kyoufu

On the fast travel front I tend to walk/hunt 99% of the time, only using fast travel to go back to unexplored dungeons I passed up because I was carrying too much loot. A good across-the-world trek while hunting is one of my favorite open world past-times, and its nigh flawless in Skyrim.

I'm a boss mage in full Daedric that casts Destruction and Restoration spells with 0 magicka cost. Come at me, Dragons!

Kyoufu

How? If there's a way to do this, I can stop leveling up Magika and focus the points in health and stamina.

Yeah get enchanting and smithing to 100, get the relevant perks in those trees then enchant your armor/ring/necklace with the Fortify Destruction and Fortify Restoration (or whatever else you want) enchants. 4 pieces to enchant, each enchanted with 25% reduction means 100% reduction in the end.

jiien

Then why does it tell me that "requires dragon's soul to unlock"... wtf ?

Does it have to be a "Named" dragon?

What he meant was that each "word" requires one soul. Each shout is comprised of three words. Because each word requires one soul to be unlocked, for every full shout (outside of a few quest related ones) you require three souls.

I just thought that you should know that I am enchanting my Blades Sword with a frost enchantment, and renaming it the Blue Ninja. Just my way of thanking Wulf for all the wonderful stories shared in this thread.

I'm humbled.

Wulf would be, too, but he's too busy banging Ysolda. In a bed made of dragon bones.

Once I'm done with Sul and Frederick the Talos-worshipping Altmer, Wulf will be reborn. You've definitely not heard the last of him. :lol

Yeah get enchanting and smithing to 100, get the relevant perks in those trees then enchant your armor/ring/necklace with the Fortify Destruction and Fortify Restoration (or whatever else you want) enchants. 4 pieces to enchant, each enchanted with 25% reduction means 100% reduction in the end.

If you do 4 pieces and each one gets you 25% doesn't that mean you would have to pick which tree you wanted to be free of cost? such as, either destruction/restoration/conjuration?

So you would have free destruction spells but there would be a mana cast for other trees? Right?

So I'm kind of annoyed.

1) I don't know if it's a glitch or something, but for some reason my Conjuration spells are not working properly. I just died because I tried to cast a conjuration spell and it didn't register upwards of ten times in a row, despite having no reason for it not to work. This has been going on consistently for several hours now and has basically rendered my most developed skill tree useless because I can't conjure anything to help me.

2) I just got around to doing the Companion quest, and these Silver Hand guys are ridiculously overpowered. One arrow from one guy kills me completely, and on top of that I have about five guys swinging swords at me that kill me in two hits.

This is the first time I've experienced any sort of frustration with Skyrim and it's really, really annoying.

jiien

Where's the best place to get Daedric hearts? Trying to craft some gear.

If you want a cheesy way, hunt down
Mehrune Dagon's Shrine, which is on the other side of the mountain range opposite Azura's Shrine.
I believe Dremora respawn inside endlessly, every couple of days. Try googling for more specific info.

So I'm kind of annoyed.

1) I don't know if it's a glitch or something, but for some reason my Conjuration spells are not working properly. I just died because I tried to cast a conjuration spell and it didn't register upwards of ten times in a row, despite having no reason for it not to work. This has been going on consistently for several hours now and has basically rendered my most developed skill tree useless because I can't conjure anything to help me.

2) I just got around to doing the Companion quest, and these Silver Hand guys are ridiculously overpowered. One arrow from one guy kills me completely, and on top of that I have about five guys swinging swords at me that kill me in two hits.

This is the first time I've experienced any sort of frustration with Skyrim and it's really, really annoying.

1. This may seem silly, but did you check the "range" at which you were trying to conjure something? You can only conjure a being up to a certain range (there is a perk to extend that range, I believe). Try conjuring something closer to you.

2. If you're a low level, just come back some other time. Remember, you're a
werewolf
now, so you take extra damage from their weapons (potentially more so than you would any other enemy at that level). Seriously, there is so much content that there is no reason to do ONE thing at a time, until you get it right. Just branch off and do something else for now. Also, maybe try the way you approach the battle. Outside of boss fights and certain set instances, there's no reason to get mobbed by a ton of guys. Maybe try getting a companion, using sneak, archery, magic, block, potions, enchanting/smithing better armor? Just trying to help.

Trasher

I've only found a couple so far. I got one in a tower in the Reach hold, from a hargraven. I think the other one was on a falmer. They carry the most random shit!

If you want a cheesy way, hunt down
Mehrune Dagon's Shrine, which is on the other side of the mountain range opposite Azura's Shrine.
I believe Dremora respawn inside endlessly, every couple of days. Try googling for more specific info.

Thanks guys.

Anybody play their game solo, as in, not using any NPC allies(unless of course the quest requires it)? As soon as I did one quest with my first "companion" I got so pissed at her getting in my way in tight corners and chasing down enemies when I wanted to be stealthy. So I just told her to wait at my house forever. I like playing this game solo, feels good man.

Kyoufu

If you do 4 pieces and each one gets you 25% doesn't that mean you would have to pick which tree you wanted to be free of cost? such as, either destruction/restoration/conjuration?

So you would have free destruction spells but there would be a mana cast for other trees? Right?

With level 100 enchanting you can have 2 enchants on your gear, so you can choose two schools. I picked destruction and restoration.

Thanks guys.

Just buy them from College of Winterhold. The NPC named Enthil or whatever. 740 each.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Anybody play their game solo, as in, not using any NPC allies(unless of course the quest requires it)? As soon as I did one quest with my first "companion" I got so pissed at her getting in my way in tight corners and chasing down enemies when I wanted to be stealthy. So I just told her to wait at my house forever. I like playing this game solo, feels good man.

Never used a companion outside of quest required ones.

erragal

Hammerfell Garb is my favorite clothing outfit. It's supposed to be 'desert people' clothing but it's casual/fancy adventurer's clothing that also matches a mage hood really well. College Robes are nice but they aren't always available to buy for me. The clothes/fine clothes have lots of different models/color combinations if you like them also; they usually aren't magey enough for me.

Then again I use footwraps instead of boots because I'm an argonian; can't find any handwraps/torn looking gloves anywhere though.

Do you have the Atronach Stone or a spell absorption effect active? There's a glitch that causes you to absorb your own Conjuration spells resulting in them failing.

Top Bottom