• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Realyn

I found a Daedic Warhammer at level 33 but I can't sell it at the moment as it's valued at nearly 4000 and no one in Skyrim has that much cash :(

Search for a trainer who sells stuff aswell. Train 5 times for 500 > sell Warhammer.
As soon as you can afford it you should train your "secondary skills" like blocking, armor and so on 5 times every level. Makes late game way more easy.

Pushed the war a bit further along, to the
battle to take Windhelm. Very fun sequence, and it shows how Bethesda has gotten better at staging them compared to Oblivion's hilarious finale. The tiered battle moving through the defenses, the objectives like lowering the drawbridge, the destruction and fireballs landing, the number of guys on screen at once...just very well pulled off.

My archery skill hit 100 during the fight, and I just mowed through guys. Must have shot down a good 40 soldiers. Felt good, felt real good.

I summoned
Odahviing
during that battle.
He landed on rooftops, setting Stormcloaks on fire left and right and center, occasionally passed overhead as a dark shadow to snatch up some unsuspecting Stormcloak and stayed on the battlefield until I reached the Palace of the Kings.
It was goddamn glorious.

Shoogoo

I don't understand trainers and their rank (master, expert etc)

They all make you rank up anyway, so why taking master over expert?

Monocle

Lol, after over 85 hours spent with this game I only just now learned that the College of Winterhold has a third building where the faculty sleep. (The door is to the right if you're coming from the bridge.) That's where Faralda the destruction trainer was hiding all this time! It's also where the restoration lady who I didn't meet until after I completed the College's entire questline was holed up. And wouldn't you know, that same area is where that old guy's misplaced alembic was hiding. OMG.

nib95

Banned
If you want to have good prices on your goods - yeah. Although even with Investor perk the amount of money they have is small, I think 3K was max I saw. Sure, you can wait 25 times to sell everything, but that's kinda defeats the purpose.

As I mentioned above, the Riverwood Trader has 12,000. You don't have to wait either. Just save your game, sell your stuff till he's run out of money. Re-save your game. Kill him, then load the last save. Once loaded you'll find his inventory and cash funds have reset. Just keep repeating this process for easy selling.

If you care about money and houses, I definitely recommend it, though truthfully you can save it for later on. Heck, I only got it at post level 50 and I feel I've only really had use for it the last 10 or so levels. Before that I wasn't finding or making anything worth thousands.

Had a very cool moment the other day. I was doing the College of Winterhold quests and reached the part when some serious shit was going down. I was told to quickly leave the main hall to check up on someone, and was greeted with an ancient dragon waiting for me. Not part of the story or anything, he just randomly appeared to start a fight even though everything is already going nuts in the current quest. He chose the wrong time though, this particular scene had all the teachers in the college in it so he picked a fight with me, and a large team of high level mages. Poor guy didn't stand a chance.

The timing was so perfect, it almost felt like this giant scripted event.

I think that is scripted as the same happend to me but it was a weaking Blood one. Infact they are all weak as dual fire or ice bolt is broken :p

NBtoaster

Was just messing around with the console and found some interesting references to a possibly scrapped arena system (unless it references a quest I haven't found yet). There are quests called "arenacombatquest.." with npcs and creatures ranging from skeevers to giants. There's also mention of a betting quest (with amounts from 100 to 1000). It could have been set in the windhelm jail as there is something called "eastmarchjailarenafight" too.

arena9pfv1.jpg

Of course this could be something I haven't done yet, but there's no reference to to this on the wiki and the windhelm jail is unspectacular. You can use the command "help arena 0" in the console to see for yourself.

Was just messing around with the console and found some interesting references to a possibly scrapped arena system (unless it references a quest I haven't found yet). There are quests called "arenacombatquest.." with npcs and creatures ranging from skeevers to giants. There's also mention of a betting quest (with amounts from 100 to 1000). It could have been set in the windhelm jail as there is something called "eastmarchjailarenafight" too.

arena9pfv1.jpg

Of course this could be something I haven't done yet, but there's no reference to to this on the wiki and the windhelm jail is unspectacular. You can use the command "help arena 0" in the console to see for yourself.
There's no arena in the game, from the looks of it they just scrapped it. Nice find.

Ezduo

Banned
Is there a mod to make those little circlets light armor? I hate having my face covered all the time by my mask or helmet but if I switch to the circlet I lose the bonus from my light armor tree (don't I?).

ElyrionX

I can't be the only one sick of the dungeon diving in this game. I mean, they built this giant beautiful world to explore and yet 80% of your time is spent crawling through a dark and depressing underground cave or a dark and depressing aboveground keep. There are probably technical limitations to designing dungeons in the open world but at least don't make every dungeon so depressing to trudge through. If anyone of you havr been to the Bloated Man Grotto, you'll know what I mean. That cave was so small but was such a refreshing change of pace from the usual underground caves because it was like a lush forest with sunlight streaming down the canopy.

Also, it just takes far too long to level some skills. I've been using Destruction almost exclusively since the start. With the Mage stone activated, I am only at level 80+ after 55 hours and about 10 levels of that was gained from training. It's way too slow.

Anteater

I can't be the only one sick of the dungeon diving in this game. I mean, they built this giant beautiful world to explore and yet 80% of your time is spent crawling through a dark and depressing underground cave or a dark and depressing aboveground keep. There are probably technical limitations to designing dungeons in the open world but at least don't make every dungeon so depressing to trudge through. If anyone of you havr been to the Bloated Man Grotto, you'll know what I mean. That cave was so small but was such a refreshing change of pace from the usual underground caves because it was like a lush forest with sunlight streaming down the canopy.

Also, it just takes far too long to level some skills. I've been using Destruction almost exclusively since the start. With the Mage stone activated, I am only at level 80+ after 55 hours and about 10 levels of that was gained from training. It's way too slow.

Yea that's one thing I don't like about the theme in some wrpgs in general, it's mostly about indoor dungeons and why I liked playing through Mass effect (except it was all warehouses, lol), a well made mystical forest or something as a dungeon could be cool, but I see that it might be against the open world design since they will need to create boundaries inorder to make it interesting (unless there are a lot of high walls and hills you can't jump over).

But yea indoor dungeons and sewers, dark caves are usually my least favorite thing in an rpg, the ones in dragon age were loong.

Firebrand

What the hell happened to the controls?

If I change the button layout it's not responding to the "OK" button in menus anymore. Also remapped character controls now change the button functions in menu as well, which is something I definitely do NOT want. The HUD incorrectly displays the default buttons so I'm not sure which way it's supposed to be.

And yet I can't mix keyboard and gamepad bindings so I don't know why they changed anything...

Nocebo

I got a bounty quest to kill a giant. No thanks! Maybe I'll try it in another 50 hours or so.
1) Get Animal Allegiance shout (somewhere between ivarstead and riften I think?)
2) Go to giant camp
3) Use shout on mammoths
4a) Attack giant
4b) Run!
5) Wait a few seconds
6) Loot giant corpse
7) Profit!

;D

Nocebo

What? How is that too slow? What is your character level?

1) Get Animal Allegiance shout (somewhere between ivarstead and riften I think?)
2) Go to giant camp
3) Use shout on mammoths
4a) Attack giant
4b) Run!
5) Wait a few seconds
6) Loot giant corpse
7) Profit!

;D

Can I do that with the wood elf ability Command Animal? Or will a giant be able to put down a single mammoth?

ElyrionX

What? How is that too slow? What is your character level?

Level 36 but about 8 of those were obtained in about 5 hours cheesing enchanting and smithing. So legitimately Level 28 after about 50 hours with destruction at 75 or so. Thats way too slow. Not all of us have 200 hours to spend on a single game.

pringles

I'm sure I'm way behind but at level 40, with my archery at about 85, I just found some woman in a cabin that leveled my archery up about 5 levels for free just by having me do some simple target shooting.

I love little surprised like that.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Damn, Magic Resistance being screwed by this new patch is way more serious than I thought. I'm getting killed by petty soul gem totems.

Apparently armor doesn't mean shit versus magic.

Time to work through some of these fetch quests until they fix this... if it's not up by Friday I'll have to play some Dark Souls over the weekend.

this game is sucking away my life. i don't have time for anything else, not even posting on Gaf. First thing I do when i'm home is fire up the launcher and dive in, and my backlog has just reached scandalous levels

so I was in Riften finishing Mara's quests yesterday. I go to the blacksmith, Balimund, who happens to have a new line of dialogue. I click, thinking about a new quest

..now a hulking Nord is waiting for me to arrange things about our wedding. I was like "..man, my companion Mjoll is gonna like this"

I WON'T marry him

Arjen

I'm sure I'm way behind but at level 40, with my archery at about 85, I just found some woman in a cabin that leveled my archery up about 5 levels for free just by having me do some simple target shooting.

I love little surprised like that.

Do you remember where that was? My archery is at 83, and it's going insanly slow at the moment.

Darklord

Banned
Is anything better than Molag Bal's mace because at the moment that is MILES better than anything I've seen? I hope I'm not using that for the rest of the game.

thefil

Have to say, the exploration in this game just works. They have exactly the right set of cues to guide you towards dungeons and places of interest. I'm about 90 hours in, level 47, playing with compass and quest markers off. I have 5 world walls left to find, and all of that was just through doing some quests and (the vast majority of my time) exploring the countryside and doing dungeons.

I fully realize that the dungeons are repetitive, but for some reason I still have a load of fun with them.

ShinNL

Time to start a new alt character where I don't have to worry about magic resist! (since I won't have any for a long time)

Limitations for myself:
- Play from start to finish on Master difficulty
- Smithing is only allowed to upgrade gear that's being used, or for making gear that I will use immediately
- Same for enchanting
- Alchemy only used for potions that I will use, not for selling
- No console commands like carryweight modification
- Play in 3rd person except for looting (which is hard in 3rd person)
- Ranged combat consist of destruction magic, no archery.
- Aside from using functional weapons like soul trap enchanted stuff, I will only attack with my right fist.
- Shield in left hand.
- Will name him Kebt 'n Marica.

White phial is fucking amazing.
Potion for 50% one handed that refills every day? Yes, please.
What's this about refilling :|?

Firebrand

Have to say, the exploration in this game just works. They have exactly the right set of cues to guide you towards dungeons and places of interest. I'm about 90 hours in, level 47, playing with compass and quest markers off. I have 5 world walls left to find, and all of that was just through doing some quests and (the vast majority of my time) exploring the countryside and doing dungeons.

I fully realize that the dungeons are repetitive, but for some reason I still have a load of fun with them.
I really do wish the compass wouldn't show nearby stuff that isn't on your map already, kinda ruins the exploration for me a bit. How did you turn off the compass, haven't seen an option for that?

I was really in love with this game when I started out but lately there's just been so many little bugs it's maddening, and now things got even worse with this patch.

Btw, is there a way to get into
Sarthaal (the door is locked)
without joining the Mage's guild (or murdering / stealing)? I started the quest from the other end, seems like a bit of an oversight if I'd have to join the mages to continue.

What is the best way to make some gold? I'm 30+ hours in and only just cleared the 5k mark for the first time. That said, I'm a bit of a hoarder and just keep most of the stuff I find in the College >_>

thefil

I really do wish the compass wouldn't show nearby stuff that isn't on your map already, kinda ruins the exploration for me a bit. How did you turn off the compass, haven't seen an option for that?

It's in the SkyrimPrefs.ini (if you haven't done any INI editing, it's in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim). It's the only option with the word Compass in it, set it to 0.

If you're playing on console, I don't think there is a way.

thefil

What is the best way to make some gold? I'm 30+ hours in and only just cleared the 5k mark for the first time. That said, I'm a bit of a hoarder and just keep most of the stuff I find in the College >_>

As a hoarder myself, I store 80% of the sellable loot I find in a safe in my house. Then, when I'm short on cash, I load up on stuff and make a caravan trip by cart through all the major cities, selling stuff in the manner of all travelling Khajit.

Ducarmel

Hoarding is alright but if you want to really make bank and increase your skill at the same time create stuff and sell them. I raised my Alchemy, Smithing, Enchanting and Speech and made tons of cash this way.

Top Bottom