• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

D0BAB7AAACD6E9DCB9DF01E6AC8898DDCB556849

this guy creeped me out a bit

where are you in this?

Also, is there a point in the game when dragons stop appearing?

Astra

Hard to go through so many posts, does the new patch help the ps3 version?

Yeah, it... helps.

It certainly helps the frame-rate issues, though they still exist. My save file is 12MB or so, and before the patch I couldn't go 20 minutes without experiencing an unplayable frame-rate. Now I go about 2-3 hours before it drops to horrendous levels.

However, since the patch, my game has been locking up A LOT more. Pre-patch, my game locked up once. After the patch, well... Today alone (that is in 2 hours of play) my game froze 4 times.

So, in typical Bethesda fashion, the patch helps one issue, and creates several others.

Reuenthal

Banned
I can't buy a house in Markath the dialogue options are not there and I have done any possible quest. Neither Jarl nor Steward are giving me the option.

Being a Mage sucks. You run out of Mana so quick and recharge rate in battle is virtually non existant. And this is with robes with a much of Mana regen upgrades on the character.

I'm only level 21 but I'm considering switching to dual handed and just using magic for conjurgation and healing.

So far, I love the settings and vibe but I have to say the combat in Dragon Age 1 felt a lot better. Playing a Blood Mage was awesome. In here, not so much.

If anyone has tips for being a better Mage, I'm all ears.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Level 38 almost 39

I have experienced the shitty conspiracy bug but I found out that if I don't talk to the guards they won't try to arrest me.

You did all the Jarl missions? And the abandoned house? I got my house after hitting level 20 and getting "made status". I'm sure you've done this but if you can't, it's bugged. Are you by chance using the console command to alter day/night cycle?

nib95

Banned
Markarth is the best looking city imo. Just epic gorgeous, especially when you're on the highest perk. Frame rate is a bit wonky (360) though. Haven't been to Solitude yet mind. But I love the art direction of every city. They're unique in their own cool little ways.

Reuenthal

Banned
You did all the Jarl missions? And the abandoned house? I got my house after hitting level 20 and getting "made status". I'm sure you've done this but if you can't, it's bugged. Are you by chance using the console command to alter day/night cycle?

No I haven't done the abandoned house mission but I don't think it has to do anything with the Jarl. I have done all the missions that the Jarl and steward asked of me, they can't ask me of any more, dunno how many that was.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Markarth is the best looking city imo. Just epic gorgeous, especially when you're on the highest perk. Frame rate is a bit wonky (360) though. Haven't been to Solitude yet mind. But I love the art direction of every city. They're unique in their own cool little ways.

I think Markarth is better looking than Solitude, but only because I adore the Dwemer architecture in the game. The only one that I found to be a bit of a let down was Dawnstar. I was expecting something a little more grandiose, considering the name.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Markath has an older and more Incan/Mayan vibe but Solitude, that is a city out of lore. You just want to move right in with the great view of the city and the overall design. I would say Solitude and then Markath are my favorites but I haven't been to 4 of the other main cities yet.

No I haven't done the abandoned house mission but I don't think it has to do anything with the Jarl. I have done all the missions that the Jarl and steward asked of me, they can't ask me of any more, dunno how many that was.

Which version?

nib95

Banned
I think Markarth is better looking than Solitude, but only because I adore the Dwemer architecture in the game. The only one that I found to be a bit of a let down was Dawnstar. I was expecting something a little more grandiose, considering the name.

Now that you mention it, yes, I complete agree. The only real disappointment appearance and scale wise in a city. Namely because as you said, because of the name, and also the extremity of the location, which I thought would make for something more creative.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Being a Mage sucks. You run out of Mana so quick and recharge rate in battle is virtually non existant. And this is with robes with a much of Mana regen upgrades on the character.

I'm only level 21 but I'm considering switching to dual handed and just using magic for conjurgation and healing.

I went sword and board for my first character and then went pure magic for my second. And quite frankly, pure magic sucks. Mostly because I'm pausing every few seconds to select the right spell for the job. And as you said, running of out of mana is annoying since switching to swords or bows is so inefficient. Not to mention that your spells send enemies flying in all sorts of directions so looting gets tedious as well etc etc.

In my opinion, I think heavy armor sword and board with some points in healing magic and conjuration is the best way to play.

Get the perks that reduce the cost of the magic you're using. I almost never run out of magicka. Also, you can get items with higher than %100 magic regen.

I'm working on building up my smithing and echancting so I get the higher ones and leveling up the reduction when I can.

I went sword and board for my first character and then went pure magic for my second. And quite frankly, pure magic sucks. Mostly because I'm pausing every few seconds to select the right spell for the job. And as you said, running of out of mana is annoying since switching to swords or bows is so inefficient. Not to mention that your spells send enemies flying in all sorts of directions so looting gets tedious as well etc etc.

In my opinion, I think heavy armor sword and board with some points in healing magic and conjuration is the best way to play.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The game really seems to push you towards melee combat with magic as support.

Vaporak

So far, I love the settings and vibe but I have to say the combat in Dragon Age 1 felt a lot better. Playing a Blood Mage was awesome. In here, not so much.

If anyone has tips for being a better Mage, I'm all ears.

Mana and mana regen is useless for destruction because the spells cost so much. It's MUCH better to enchant items to lower cost of spells. All destruction spells cost 0 mana for me.

Jagxyz

Archery. That is all.

nib95

Banned

Yea, now I'm at a high level in numerous things, I must say, sword and shield seems most effective coupled with restoration and a bit of alchemy. Those high level Damage Magika Regen potions are so damn effective. Essentially nulling the effectiveness of mages, which are the only real threat to my build.

iratA

Yeah, it... helps.

It certainly helps the frame-rate issues, though they still exist. My save file is 12MB or so, and before the patch I couldn't go 20 minutes without experiencing an unplayable frame-rate. Now I go about 2-3 hours before it drops to horrendous levels.

However, since the patch, my game has been locking up A LOT more. Pre-patch, my game locked up once. After the patch, well... Today alone (that is in 2 hours of play) my game froze 4 times.
So, in typical Bethesda fashion, the patch helps one issue, and creates several others.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing too. I hope Beth sends at least one more patch through to kill the system lockups. Pre-patch with ~70 hours , no locks, vs post patch ~5 hours 3 locks. PS3 version here.

The Chef

How does this make any sense.
I have learned the Enchantment "Fortify Smithing" which gave me a smithing ability of 8% increase. Well I just found a necklace called "Extreme Fortify Smithing" with a smithing increase of 20%.

I go to disenchant it but it says I've already learned that ability... So i cant get a smithing enchantment that is a 20% increase cuz I've already learned a suckier one??

I have learned the Enchantment "Fortify Smithing" which gave me a smithing ability of 8% increase. Well I just found a necklace called "Extreme Fortify Smithing" with a smithing increase of 20%.

I go to disenchant it but it says I've already learned that ability... So i cant get a smithing enchantment that is a 20% increase cuz I've already learned a suckier one??

My understanding is you learn the enchantment and your enchanting ability + soul gem used determines the quality of the enchantment.

gdt

Strengthen your base enchanting skill/perks.

Man broken quests are really starting to wear on me, the first several hours of the game hid it very well but the more I play the more it screams broken and released too early.

Something is seriously fucked up with Bethesda's quality control, New Vegas was basically perfect at release compared to this. I think I am just going to forget about this game until they actually release a patch that works and play something else in the meantime.

scy

If you Disenchant an item with Fortify Smithing +1% or +29%, it doesn't matter. Your end result is always the "Fortify Smithing" Enchant in general. Your skill, Perks, and size of the Soul used will determine the effectiveness of the enchant.

This basically applies to almost every single Enchant in the game.

The Chef

If you Disenchant an item with Fortify Smithing +1% or +29%, it doesn't matter. Your end result is always the "Fortify Smithing" Enchant in general. Your skill, Perks, and size of the Soul used will determine the effectiveness of the enchant.

This basically applies to almost every single Enchant in the game.

OK thanks. I thought I was being gipped.

balddemon

Banned
So is using your hands a viable build in this game? Is it considered one-handed or anything?

There is only 1 perk that affects unarmed, and that's in the heavy armor tree. Forgot what its called but you get it at lvl 30 Heavy Armor and its on the left. Adds the armor rating of your gauntlets to your damage. I am using a Khajiit (+15 unarmed dmg). There's an enchantment for fortify unarmed damage as well. Can go on gauntlets, rings, amulets, not sure what else. So yeah, it's viable. I've had very few problems on Master.

where are you in this?

Also, is there a point in the game when dragons stop appearing?

place called Blackreach, in the main quest. Pretty fuckin sick area.

nib95

Banned
Can anyone confirm it takes many more skill level ups post level 50 to level up? I'm sitting on level 49 and have collected up at least another 3 level ups. But I'm afraid to actually use my level ups fearing it will get harder from then on.

Any advice?

scy

So I disenchanted an item that gives me magic resistance, but it won't let me enchant any items with that enchantment. What gives?

Just select the Enchant and see what it allows you to put it on. It should be Necklace, Rings, and Shields. There's a quest reward that you can Disenchant that gives you a duplicate effect though I don't think it has any limitations on it unlike others (i.e., Linwe's Armor provides the Shadow Enchants ... that you can never use).

If it's still not letting you then uh ... I don't know, actually.

Can anyone confirm it takes many more skill level ups post level 50 to level up? I'm sitting on level 49 and have collected up at least another 3 level ups. But I'm afraid to actually use my level ups fearing it will get harder from then on.

Any advice?

The amount of EXP needed to level is purely linear so 50 is slightly harder than 49 and 51 is just the same amount harder than 50; to be precise, it's exactly +25 EXP more needed per level (i.e., Level 1 -> 2 requires 100 EXP, Level 2 -> 3 requires 125 EXP, and so-on) so don't worry about 50+ taking much more per level.

The reason you'll see more Skill gains per Level is that you're probably running low on skills you constantly use so you're left raising low level skills. Going from 15 -> 25 may be 10 skill ups but it's "only" +205 EXP. Going from a skill of 90 to 93 is worth +276 EXP in just 3 skill gains.

Just select the Enchant and see what it allows you to put it on. It should be Necklace, Rings, and Shields. There's a quest reward that you can Disenchant that gives you a duplicate effect though I don't think it has any limitations on it unlike others (i.e., Linwe's Armor provides the Shadow Enchants ... that you can never use).

If it's still not letting you then uh ... I don't know, actually.

Oh I never bothered to look at which items can get the enchantment. It's probably jewelry or something because that's where I got the enchantment from.

I must be lucky because I downloaded the patch early this morning (360 version) before heading off to work and it sucked real bad to find out how the patch screwed things up even more, what with the texture issues still occurring and resistance being completely removed.

When I got home from work, I went ahead and installed the game and played for a couple of hours. Fortunately, I didn't see any low-res textures and having an all-out warrior type of character does not affect me when it comes to resistance. I also never wore any armor pieces with resistance anyways. There was also nothing weird or out of the ordinary so far, glitch-wise. *knocks on wood*

I must be lucky because I downloaded the patch early this morning (360 version) before heading off to work and it sucked real bad to find out how the patch screwed things up even more, what with the texture issues still occurring and resistance being completely removed.

When I got home from work, I went ahead and installed the game and played for a couple of hours. Fortunately, I didn't see any low-res textures and having an all-out warrior type of character does not affect me when it comes to resistance. I also never wore any armor pieces with resistance anyways. There was also nothing weird or out of the ordinary so far, glitch-wise. *knocks on wood*

Wow, what difficulty are you playing on? I found that without SOME resistance, on Expert and Master you get demolished by higher level fire spells.

So basically, since I've been playing on master difficulty for like 70 hours now, the patch broke the game for me, unless I want to lower the difficulty and kill everything by looking at it funny. It also manage to fix exactly zero of the problems I encountered including quests that couldn't be completed, houses that couldn't be bought, and probably random crashes to the desktop, but patched, the game isn't worth playing long enough to encounter a crash anyway. I don't normally jump on the hate wagon, but they really fucked up with this one.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Uh, did the patch add a hard cap on PS3? I should be level 51 but I'm 50......and stuck at 50. My level bar is completely full and just used a trainer to check....

Top Bottom