• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

scy

Does anyone know if its possible to improve the Mace of Molag Bal beyond flawless?

Everything goes to Legendary at 196 Smithing skill if you don't have the perk for that material (or if there is no perk for that material); with the perk, you only need 91 Smithing skill.

Sinthetic

Nothing. You miss nothing. This is one of the last great single player gems available. You may of course not want to connect to Xbox live and download patch 1.2. I'm not sure how the game plays without the zero-day title update though.

Cheers for the heads up mate, I was under the impression that if you had Gold you had more options available to you for the game. Great stuff.

okenny

Banned
Everything goes to Legendary at 196 Smithing skill if you don't have the perk for that material (or if there is no perk for that material); with the perk, you only need 91 Smithing skill.

That's my confusion: I have 100 smithing skill and the Mace is a daedric mace that uses ebony for improvements. I also have the daedric weapons smithing and magical item improvement perks but for whatever reasons, the game won't allow me to go past flawless on the item. I'm even wearing a +15% improvement gauntlet.

I'm tempted to disenchant it and craft a ring-amulet-gauntlet-helmet smithing armor set to stack the improvement buffs to see what happens. Is that how you get to +196 smithing?

scy

That's my confusion: I have 100 smithing skill and the Mace is a daedric mace that uses ebony for improvements. I also have the daedric weapons smithing and magical item improvement perks but for whatever reasons, the game won't allow me to go past flawless on the item. I'm even wearing a +15% improvement gauntlet.

I'm tempted to disenchant it and craft a ring-amulet-gauntlet-helmet smithing armor set to stack the improvement buffs to see what happens. Is that how you get to +196 smithing?

I probably should have specified. All the unique equipment count as not having a relevant perk, even if they're oh-so-totally an X material item. Which seems silly and kind of cuts down their usefulness since Perk vs No perk scale differently on the improvements :/

You can actually get to 196 with just one Potion (+130), though you'll need a fairly high Alchemy skill to do that. Ring/Amulet/Arms/Chest with a Fortify Enchanting Potion should get you to +100-116 skill I believe.

I guess sharing experiences in places like this forum is Skyrim's brand of multiplayer ;)

I know it's corny but I'm OK with that :)

Aye. Like that one time I had just exited Winterhold and I was attacked by a sabercat. The beast proceeds to rape me like no other, so I perch myself up on a rock to avoid some of its attacks. Only then do I notice a band of revelers enjoying their mead a bit further down the road... And so does the sabercat. He runs off and destroys the revelers like he's a hairy, vengeful god or something. I just watch from a distance, regenerating some health while I'm letting loose with arrows. Eventually, the sabercat dies...

But of the revelers, nothing remains.

Skyrim.

okenny

Banned
I probably should have specified. All the unique equipment count as not having a relevant perk, even if they're oh-so-totally an X material item. Which seems silly and kind of cuts down their usefulness since Perk vs No perk scale differently on the improvements :/

You can actually get to 196 with just one Potion (+130), though you'll need a fairly high Alchemy skill to do that. Ring/Amulet/Arms/Chest with a Fortify Enchanting Potion should get you to +100-116 skill I believe.

Yet again you drop the knowledge that saves me from frustration and futility. Thank you much sir!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
yUb5M.jpg
YslEH.jpg

Left to my own devices I can really get myself into trouble..

I don't even know how it happened. I started playing the game HUDless last night while I was really stoned and it was so wonderful I decided what I really needed was my own set of maps and a journal to keep my own questlog into so I never need to look at the menu.

Going through and transcribing this 9 page pdf into their own individual pages with my own annotations etc. Each page is a 3x3 grid so it works out perfectly. I don't even know what to say for myself. I'm sorry. Tell my mom I tried.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
so should i unlock all the smithing perks so i can smith any type of armor? Or can you ignore all smithing perks since alchemy allows you to smith everything without smithing perks?

I'm confused.

It's possible to get really high legendary smithing without putting anything into smithing if you have good potions and enhancements. But you can't make Dragon Armour and Daedric stuff is rare if not impossible to find.

Also, aren't some unique weapons and armours etc not disenchantable?

Kyon

Banned
So, I still haven't downloaded the patch (360), should I? Or just wait?
i just got the game a few days ago and didn't download any patch either. I also wanna know when it's safe to download the patch

EDIT: Guess we need to wait lmfao

bdouble

http://i.imgur.com/yUb5M.jpg[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YslEH.jpg

Left to my own devices I can really get myself into trouble..

I don't even know how it happened. I started playing the game HUDless last night while I was really stoned and it was so wonderful I decided what I really needed was my own set of maps and a journal to keep my own questlog into so I never need to look at the menu.

Going through and transcribing [URL="http://www.gamebanshee.com/skyrim/mapofskyrim.php#null"]this[/URL] 9 page pdf into their own individual pages with my own annotations etc. Each page is a 3x3 grid so it works out perfectly. I don't even know what to say for myself. I'm sorry. Tell my mom I tried.[/QUOTE]
Umm bad ass. That is the way to play haha. Wish I could do that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do not download the patch. It only fixed minor issues and added another big one where magic resistances do not work anymore.

SKYRIM, WHERE PATCHS BREAK STUFF MORE THAN THEY FIX

Neverfade

Do not download the patch. It only fixed minor issues and added another big one where magic resistances do not work anymore.

SKYRIM, WHERE PATCHS BREAK STUFF MORE THAN THEY FIX

Holy shit. Thank you for traveling forward in time to deliver us this breaking news! ;)

Edit: Ah, I see it was for someone new! :lol

AEREC

so should i unlock all the smithing perks so i can smith any type of armor? Or can you ignore all smithing perks since alchemy allows you to smith everything without smithing perks?

I'm confused.

You will need the right Smithing perks if you want to improve a certain set of armor. It is possible to find Daedric and Dragonplate armor out in the wild but you wont be able to improve it's armor rating unless you select the associated perk...whether you have 100 smithing or not does not matter.

scy

I'm confused.

You need the perks to create the Armor but you can improve it no matter what with or without the perks. Having the Perk gives you more Armor per Skill Level as well when you're upgrading them. That is, 91 is when you hit Legendary with the Perk and 196 is when you hit it without the perk so the Armor you get is the same here; however, 196 with the Perk is vastly different than 196 without the perk.

Basically, if you don't have the perk, you're getting half the upgrade when you improve your equipment.

Neverfade

Ah, thanks. :)

In that case, where is a good place to buy black soul gems? And what kind of non-humans have grand souls?

Do the quest at
Azura's Shrine
and choose to make the item
The Black Star
. A less permanent solution is to go wreck a witch cave.

Off the top of my head, Mammoth's are the only grand soul'd animals I know of.

Rengoku

Do the quest at
Azura's Shrine
The Black Star

Aren't Giants grand souls too?

Do the quest at
Azura's Shrine
The Black Star

I've already done that. But I want to be able to get multiple grand souls at a time. Without having to worry about wasting a larger soul gem on a weaker soul (which again ties into the point I argued a few pages ago about these gems being incredibly badly designed).

Neverfade

I've already done that. But I want to be able to get multiple grand souls at a time. Without having to worry about wasting a larger soul gem on a weaker soul (which again ties into the point I argued a few pages ago about these gems being incredibly badly designed).

A modicum of planning will prevent this. Just keep a separate weapon with soul trap handy. Get some grands? Go to a mammoth camp and fill all your grands up. Problem solved.

I just said screw it and started buying filled grand soul gems

Erm, so I unlocked the Orcish Armour and Plate&Scaled Armour perks but there is no option to create them at forges.

/confused

edit: Scaled not Steel

Dresden

keeping two weapons is so hard

keeping two weapons is so hard

What does having two weapons have to do with anything? You're aware Soul Trap is a spell, right?

If I have a bunch of different types of soul gems, I'm constantly having to check my inventory after using Soul Trap so I know what kind of soul I just captured, and which soul gem it went into. God forbid I use Soul Trap on something that has common soul, but I only have grand, lesser, and petty soul gems (for example), as I've filled all my common soul gems. It goes into a grand soul gem, which is a complete waste, and I had no way of knowing what kind of soul that enemy had beforehand. Unless I check a bestiary for every single type of enemy in the game, which is ludicous.

The current system is the worst possible one they could have chosen. Other options would have included:

1) If you use Soul Trap on an enemy that could fill a soul gem which currently has a weaker soul in it, that weaker soul is overwritten.
2) You have to have the exact same type of empty soul gem as the soul you are attempting to capture. If you're attempting to capture a petty soul, but you don't have any petty soul gems, then the capture fails.
3) You can empty soul gems without destroying them.
4) Give us some way of knowing what type of soul we're about to capture.

I'm sure once you're a high level, buying countless soul gems is a trivial matter, but right now, they're a rarity for me, so it's definitely an issue.

Oh, and let's not forget that keeping track of what soul gems you have and which are filled, is made all the more complicated due to items in your inventory not stacking properly (I'm wondering if it's another bug; do any of you have this issue?). I currently have four lesser soul gems that are filled with lesser soul, but instead of appearing in my inventory as "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser) (4)", I have two seperate listings for "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser)", and another for "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser) (2)". The same thing happens with all kinds of other items too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't think so. Arrrows register as silent, but they can hear a dagger strike, even one of those assassinations. I was bummed.

I used arrows, sorry forgot to mention that. I'm a stealth archer build.

bengraven

Not going to lie; the most fun I've had in the last ten or so hours is sneaking with a bow in a Draugr cave and sniping them while they're "sleeping".

level 50 something and just recently hit 100 destruction. About to move on to possibly board and sword, but my sword is high already as I was sword and sworcery for most of the game so far. I still haven't broken into the
Thalmor Embassy
, so my main quest progress is pretty shallow.

bengraven

How long does the main storyline on it's own take to complete?

I'm wondering that too. I've completed 3 of the 4 guild storylines and they (at least the main progression before the "bonus stages") were really short compared to Oblivion. I wonder how the mQ stacks up.

It really all depends on your play style. If you fast travel everywhere I could see it being a 30hr quest line. If you're new to Elder Scrolls please note the main quest is hardly the main fare of an ES game.

scy

I'm sure once you're a high level, buying countless soul gems is a trivial matter, but right now, they're a rarity for me, so it's definitely an issue.

You can buy them at Level 1, unless this is a money issue. Which it really shouldn't be as the return on selling even basic Elemental damage Enchants more than makes up for the cost of buying gems.

Obtaining Souls for Gems is kind of an annoyance if you're trying to hunt them down. Thankfully (or not thankfully, depending), purchasing them is stupid amounts of easy and profitable.

Oh, and let's not forget that keeping track of what soul gems you have and which are filled, is made all the more complicated due to items in your inventory not stacking properly (I'm wondering if it's another bug; do any of you have this issue?). I currently have four lesser soul gems that are filled with lesser soul, but instead of appearing in my inventory as "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser) (4)", I have two seperate listings for "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser)", and another for "Lesser Soul Gem (Lesser) (2)". The same thing happens with all kinds of other items too.

As far as I know, it's due to how the game tracks the souls in them. Not all Lesser Souls are equal in terms of charge, though they're all the same as far as Enchanting is concerned. If you buy a ton of pre-filled Gems, for instance, they'll all infinitely stack.

You know, Riften would be my favorite city in terms of visuals if it wasn't so damn foggy all of the time. The moments when the sun actually breaks through are some of the prettiest I've ever seen in this game.

BeeDog

Awww, just visited the last unexplored city on my map (Dawnstar) and was disappointed it's not a walled-off major city.

It's really short. I finished it in 6-7 hours maybe. Of course part of that is there are main storyline dungeons that can be done while not trying to do the main quest. So it differs between people. It is short though. Of course the main quest is not the draw of this series. That's 6-7 hours in about 70 hours of play.

AEREC

You know, Riften would be my favorite city in terms of visuals if it wasn't so damn foggy all of the time. The moments when the sun actually breaks through are some of the prettiest I've ever seen in this game.

I know what you mean...The areas around Riften and Falkreath are some of the most scenic and atmospheric areas in the game.

It's really short. I finished it in 6-7 hours maybe. Of course part of that is there are main storyline dungeons that can be done while not trying to do the main quest. So it differs between people. It is short though. Of course the main quest is not the draw of this series. That's 6-7 hours in about 70 hours of play.

120 hours so far, and I haven't even gotten to the peak above High Hrothgar.

Top Bottom