• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

AEREC

Well im trying to improve my Nightingale, Shrouded, and Thieves guild armor leather sets. I have them all up to flawless but whenever I try to up the quality to legendary it says I dont have enough skills to do so. Mind you I have 100 smithing and all im missing is the Glass armor perk.

Have you tried smithing potions and enchants on top of that...I noticed with 100 smithing I could get my Dragonplate to legendary but not some of my magical weapons such as the Rueful Axe...it wasnt until I used to +smithing armor and potions that I was able to get it to legendary status.

Just a random thought here: how awesome would it be if they included a climbing function in the next elder scrolls title? Jumping around on mountains is currently one of the jankiest aspects of skyrim and the previous games. If you could actually see yourself in first person grabbing onto ledges and crawling up rocks, that would add a new level of immersion. It could even be a designated skill that could give you access to secret places or just give you shortcuts to roundabout locations.

Haunted

Just a random thought here: how awesome would it be if they included a climbing function in the next elder scrolls title? Jumping around on mountains is currently one of the jankiest aspects of skyrim and the previous games. If you could actually see yourself in first person grabbing onto ledges and crawling up rocks, that would add a new level of immersion. It could even be a designated skill that could give you access to secret places or just give you shortcuts all over the world.
I don't think Bethesda has the necessary skills to implement something like that. They struggle with the core mechanics as is.

Dialogue, world design and asset creation in general are top notch (ok except those faces...), but actual gameplay and interactivity is not their forte. Or maybe it's all Gamebryo's fault, who knows.

Have you tried smithing potions and enchants on top of that...I noticed with 100 smithing I could get my Dragonplate to legendary but not some of my magical weapons such as the Rueful Axe...it wasnt until I used to +smithing armor and potions that I was able to get it to legendary status.

Good idea, ill try that!

scy

You'll need 196 Smithing to get an item to Legendary status if you don't have the perk (or if they just don't have a perk) for it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
HOW AWESOME WOULD IT BE IF DRAGONS FLEW FORWARDS IN THIS GAME AND NOT RUIN MY IMAGINARY FUCKING WORLD

I don't have this issue at all, yet. I do love my LOD settings on PC that allow me to see the dragon attacking and the little details from far away. Now everything is in high detail like you were feet away but it's the little things that add to the immersion.

ruxtpin

Banned
So... Some of the quest designers have a pretty good sense of humor. I feel like there should be a quest akin to finding the beast of CaerbannogQuest from Monty Python. Should be some misc quest you're given later in the game where you're hyped up to go and defeat some awful creature, but when you find the creature it's a beaver or butterfly or something goofy.

Said creature can then be tamed and made your companion. What I'd give to have a rabbit that would follow me around and kick ass on my behalf.

I kinda felt that the Dark Brotherhood on Skyrim was not good as which was in Oblivion. Still it's one of the best quests-lines in the game anyway.

ShinNL

I need to work on my defense against mages. Currently all my gear is dual enchanted focusing on enhancing one-handed weapons and lowering destruction magic cost. My current total armor rating is 483, but from what I understand it doesn't make much of a difference against magic. When I go up against adept or master mages, I'm usually dead after like 3-4 blasts. Most of the time I'm able to get by with using Whirlwind Sprint and then just slice them up close. But I'd prefer not to have to rely on a shout especially because of the cooldown timer.

One possible solution I think would be to create a new set of gear focused mainly on magic and elemental resistance that I would swap in when going up against mages. But what I'd like to know is, if I enchant my gear with magic resistance, will that also cover all 3 elemental damage as well?
Yes, magic resist works for all 3 elements. But this bug caused by a freaking patch needs to be fixed ASAP. Both of my savegames are in stalemate right now because I can't play with this game breaking bug. I was fine with the game pre-patch, freaking Bethesda. /PC user rant

Those are just Lichs then not, Dragon Priests.
Their locations should be listed on any wiki. Try the UESP.
One of the priests is only reachable at the end of the main quests.

They're Dragon Priests, just not the "named" High Dragon Priest variant. I don't think the game has an enemy explicitly called a "Lich", I never found one at least.

So... Some of the quest designers have a pretty good sense of humor. I feel like there should be a quest akin to finding the beast of CaerbannogQuest from Monty Python. Should be some misc quest you're given later in the game where you're hyped up to go and defeat some awful creature, but when you find the creature it's a beaver or butterfly or something goofy.

Said creature can then be tamed and made your companion. What I'd give to have a rabbit that would follow me around and kick ass on my behalf.

This reminds me of a moment when my brother was playing. He came across a couple of Thalmor on the road, one comes up and starts threatening him, while they are in the dialogue state a mudcrab KILLS the Thalmor mage in the background. It was amazing.

Have a question too, are there any known workarounds for the broken Blood On The Ice quest? I really want the Windhelm house, it's so frustrating. Im on the 360 and have completed both the Dark Brotherhood and the Rebellion questlines (siding with the Empire).

AEREC

They're Dragon Priests, just not the "named" High Dragon Priest variant. I don't think the game has an enemy explicitly called a "Lich", I never found one at least.

There was one quest in Volthume, I think it was, where an NPC ghost refered to onc of the Dragon Priests (Henovakkar or something) trying to become a powerful Lich. Thats the only time Ive heard Lich mentioned in this game.

scy

Yes, magic resist works for all 3 elements. But this bug caused by a freaking patch needs to be fixed ASAP. Both of my savegames are in stalemate right now because I can't play with this game breaking bug. I was fine with the game pre-patch, freaking Bethesda. /PC user rant

There's a PC work around as far as I know and, honestly, I haven't really found this that big of a deal. And I have three characters that ran with max Magic Resist (the fourth is on a hard mode scaling mod that is also not having issue as a melee-oriented build). Two are at the 50+ range (with a mod that adds post-50 scaling) and the other was leveled 1 to ~40 completely post-patch as pure melee. It sucks, sure, but game breaking? Meh, not really.

Edit: PC work around is via the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) for the resist issue. Though, the patch is supposed to hit this week so...

clashfan

I hope they get another patch out soon. I was walking around in the world and saw a dragon just floating in the air. I walked under it and it did nothing. Just floated in the air. I knew it was a bad idea to buy this day one...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I need to work on my defense against mages. Currently all my gear is dual enchanted focusing on enhancing one-handed weapons and lowering destruction magic cost. My current total armor rating is 483, but from what I understand it doesn't make much of a difference against magic. When I go up against adept or master mages, I'm usually dead after like 3-4 blasts. Most of the time I'm able to get by with using Whirlwind Sprint and then just slice them up close. But I'd prefer not to have to rely on a shout especially because of the cooldown timer.

One possible solution I think would be to create a new set of gear focused mainly on magic and elemental resistance that I would swap in when going up against mages. But what I'd like to know is, if I enchant my gear with magic resistance, will that also cover all 3 elemental damage as well?

Since you are going one handed, block has a perk where you can resist 50% of all elemental damage. Couple this with the faster movement perk, and you can close in on mages pretty quickly unscathed. The shield is really cumbersome to use until you get the faster movement perk though, but thankfully, block is relatively easy to level up.

My current set up (when not sniping them with arrows) is a daedric sword + dragonscale shield combo with the above perks, plus an enchanted amulet and ring that give me 50% resistance. Pretty much no trouble with enemies now.

okenny

Banned
To those with the 360 patch: does clearing your cache and not re-downloading the patch help with the strange issues like magic resistance and backward flying dragons?

Where did you get the OST from?

http://www.directsong.com/mobile/productdetails.php?productid=2240

$29.99

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 4 CD Set

The soundtrack to the most anticipated game of the year is now available for pre-order. This four-disc physical set, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Original Game Soundtrack, features a breadth of music from the icy sounds inspired by the game's highest mountain peaks to the powerful themes capturing the magnificence of the dragons. This compilation set will ship the week following 11.11.11, exclusively from DirectSong.

PLEASE NOTE, all orders placed before December 23rd will be personally autographed by composer Jeremy Soule.

This item represents Physical CD's, it is not a digital download.

To those with the 360 patch: does clearing your cache and not re-downloading the patch help with the strange issues like magic resistance and backward flying dragons?

I think I remember someone saying that you shouldn't do that because you won't be able to load saves from prior patches.

okenny

Banned
I think I remember someone saying that you shouldn't do that because you won't be able to load saves from prior patches.

That's unfortunate :( I've been playing offline since the zero-day patch so this was a blessing in discuss for me but can guess how I'll be playing single-player games from now on.

Just a random thought here: how awesome would it be if they included a climbing function in the next elder scrolls title? Jumping around on mountains is currently one of the jankiest aspects of skyrim and the previous games. If you could actually see yourself in first person grabbing onto ledges and crawling up rocks, that would add a new level of immersion. It could even be a designated skill that could give you access to secret places or just give you shortcuts to roundabout locations.

Daggerfall actually had climbing as a skill. I loved it at the time, as it actually made playing as a thief so much fun. I'd approach a city at night, gates would be closed, but I'd simply scale the walls and drop down inside, then proceed to rob the place blind. I was bummed when they removed the skill in later ES games, although I understood why they did it.

I thought that having a climbing skill on those mountains would be nice as well.

I spent an extended weekend in the caribbean and as a result, I haven't had the chance to get back to Skyrim yet. I'm hoping to get some playtime in tonight though, as I've been jonesing for some action again.

cackhyena

Daggerfall actually had climbing as a skill. I loved it at the time, as it actually made playing as a thief so much fun. I'd approach a city at night, gates would be closed, but I'd simply scale the walls and drop down inside, then proceed to rob the place blind. I was bummed when they removed the skill in later ES games, although I understood why they did it.

I thought that having a climbing skill on those mountains would be nice as well.

I really wish that type of stuff was in here. Really differentiating the classes. Grappling hooks and climbing skills and running along rooftops.

Doodis

I think you are mistaken. By armor cap, I mean that any armor rating above 567 no longer helps to reduce damage. The number can increase above 567, but it doesn't do anything in the damage calculation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

All that time spent leveling up my armor was wasted? Lamesauce.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
Hey guys. Here's an update:

While the 1.2 update fixed the long-term play issues for most PS3 users, we are aware that is not the case for some. We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues. Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not. Some seem to be the PS3 autosaving in the background (you can turn that off), some may be SPU AI updates, and some may relate to dynamic system memory allocation. These fixes are not in the current 1.3 update that is in final testing, but will be in future ones. We understand how frustrating it can be when your game is having issues, and we thank all of you for your continued feedback and patience. Rest assured we take your gameplay experience seriously and will continue working on this until it’s resolved.

Double D

I have no idea which direciton to head with myu perks :X

I've been there, friend. It's not that you can't pick perks, you just don't want to pick stuff and find out that you should have gone another route. What I did one day while I was at work, unable to actually work because I was thinking about Skyrim, was go to a perks wiki and write down all the perks I absolutely wanted. My list ended up being comprised of 63 perks. Then I picked 18 'nice to haves'. I no longer spend 20 minutes on the perk selection screen.

GhaleonEB

Holy shit, you know those marks on some buildings? You KNOW they were there for something.

Turns out they were left by the Thieves Guild.

5RyHE.png

There's a book in the Thieves Guild called Shadowmarks, that decodes all these. My daughter found it in her game (I missed it), and made a similar decoder ring on a sheet of paper we keep next to the TV. Pretty cool to spot things like protected houses and loot homes.

Also, Thieves' Caches are cool. She found one in Riften behind a building with that marker on it; lock picks, gold, etc.

Rengoku

Since you are going one handed, block has a perk where you can resist 50% of all elemental damage. Couple this with the faster movement perk, and you can close in on mages pretty quickly unscathed. The shield is really cumbersome to use until you get the faster movement perk though, but thankfully, block is relatively easy to level up.

My current set up (when not sniping them with arrows) is a daedric sword + dragonscale shield combo with the above perks, plus an enchanted amulet and ring that give me 50% resistance. Pretty much no trouble with enemies now.

Cool, I'll give that a shot, I wasn't aware there's a faster movement perk.

bengraven

There's a book in the Thieves Guild called Shadowmarks, that decodes all these. My daughter found it in her game (I missed it), and made a similar decoder ring on a sheet of paper we keep next to the TV. Pretty cool to spot things like protected houses and loot homes.

Also, Thieves' Caches are cool. She found one in Riften behind a building with that marker on it; lock picks, gold, etc.

Oh fuck, now I want those caches. I wonder if there are quite a few.

Also, now that you guys have mentioned the book I'm going to find it and take it with me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I've done a couple of assassinations where I was hidden but the guards immediately run over and attack me after. Is it possible to do this in complete stealth?

Did anyone play the Mind of a Madman mission? Lol that was the craziest most unexpected mission of the game no content, hilarious too. I never got to use the
Wabbajack
that I received from it because of the PS3 problems though.

You can initiate it by talking to
a man who wants his boss to come back from vacation
in Solitude.

ShinAmano

Did anyone play the Mind of a Madman mission? Lol that was the craziest most unexpected mission of the game no content, hilarious too. I never got to use the
Wabbajack

in Solitude.

Did that last night. I wonder if the item will be useful outside of that mission.

GhaleonEB

I've done a couple of assassinations where I was hidden but the guards immediately run over and attack me after. Is it possible to do this in complete stealth?

I don't think so. Arrrows register as silent, but they can hear a dagger strike, even one of those assassinations. I was bummed.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Vik:

that's not what I mean. What I mean is I have no idea which perks/ skills are actually considered "important" to have.

Like, there have to be certain perks that make others redundant or a waste, but I have no idea what those are or what the real "must have" perks are.

stolin

Last night I finished Skyrim on PS3 and got the Platinum Trophy (160 hours). Here are some of my gameplay impressions, I already posted my PS3 technical log here.

From this list, it seems I'm the 84th person to Platinum Skyrim on PS3.

Again, this is the first Bethesda game that I didn't simply turn off after 5-8 hours. I prefer JRPGs and more polished games, but Skyrim's world captivated me to fully play the game.

I started as my standard Sword & Shield melee character for first few hours. Skyrim's combat is terrible, everything about the weapon combat just feels terrible. I just came off completing Dark Souls & Batman: AC where combat is king & always feels fantastic. I was going to stop playing here, but restarted my character to pure mage, which I normally don't play, and FPS style shooting isn't my style.

I really enjoyed the writing, the voice, the variety in the world, the towns, the quests, the music, etc. There is lots to enjoy. I really enjoyed the faction story lines, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc..

I really enjoyed how you could get distracted by more quests intersecting. This was the strength of the quests. The overlapping nature always meant you didn't need to look for quests. You just always had stuff to do.

For the lead up to Skyrim it seemed like they highlighted on playing the game 3rd person, trailers, videos, etc. It's doesn't work. Your character is simply drawn over the FPS view while moving. You can rotate round your character while still. It just feels broken and IMO is unplayable as a 3rd person character game.

Sometimes I would watch my follower (Lydia) fight entire groups thinking that's what I want my character to look & feels like with the combat. It's all animated & programmed for followers but doesn't translate to my character.

At the moment to moment gameplay, it just felt like I was playing a cursor. Moving a cursor on the screen to see the description of all the items to see if I should grab them. To me this is simply legacy overkill, it's outdated & boring. If I could set a few filter for what I wanted to pickup, Gold, Potions, Arrows, Ingredients, then just context grab everything I really want. Individually selecting so much useless loot was tedious that I just simply stopped checking or caring. I could always craft better equipment anyway.

The interface just feels awkward & unfinished. No sorting & filtering or grouping options, chest are a huge list, no character view, a weird favorites tag, quick cycling your secondaries isn't intuitive. This game needs to have all the information & options. It seems like they tried to simplify it but in the end made it less functional.

I purpose re-crafted all my equipment to rename them so they would sort properly. I had 3 sets (Dragon, Craft, LPS (Lock, Pick, Sneak) of 6 pieces so at least they were in groups. There needed to be set switching or favorites.

They really need more user feedback info, I stopped checking books since there's no indication which I've already seen. Making your own eternal checklist for books is ridiculous, early on I kept at trying to find Skill Books but just gave up.

The caves & dungeons were OK. I see many complementing them for variety since Oblivion. To me, although unique felt very bland and rarely special. There was nothing "smart" about any of them. No gotchas or impressive gameplay dungeon design. Were those even bosses? It just felt that accomplishing a dungeon gave very little payoff. Looting the boss or chest I ignored & didn't need 80%+ of the loot.

In the end, even with the technical issues and my opinions on the gameplay it was worth playing. Personally I would like to see a different team have this ambition & scope. If a true 3rd person character team and make the combat & moment to moment more intuitive it would be my ultimate game. I now really wanna see how Dragon's Dogma since it seems to be attempting filling that gap.

That's my nickel of though on Skyrim.... now Uncharted 3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wabbajack

in Solitude.
I started it last night, and gave up in frustration. I was too tired to try and understand the insanity, haha.

Sinthetic

I was thinking of picking this up on PS3 (not anymore). I need some help, say I pick this up on 360, I've only got a Silver Live account, what do I miss out on? All multiplayer features?

okenny

Banned
I was thinking of picking this up on PS3 (not anymore). I need some help, say I pick this up on 360, I've only got a Silver Live account, what do I miss out on? All multiplayer features?

Nothing. You miss nothing. This is one of the last great single player gems available. You may of course not want to connect to Xbox live and download patch 1.2. I'm not sure how the game plays without the zero-day title update though.

The caves & dungeons were OK. I see many complementing them for variety since Oblivion. To me, although unique felt very bland and rarely special. There was nothing "smart" about any of them. No gotchas or impressive gameplay dungeon design. Were those even bosses? It just felt that accomplishing a dungeon gave very little payoff. Looting the boss or chest I ignored & didn't need 80%+ of the loot.

Yeah I don't get the compliments either. There was one or two more tilesets than Oblivion and they felt less random but ultimately they all boiled down to the same thing - fight through scaled trash mob enemies, fight scaled boss, get scaled loot, and find a door or whatever that doubles back to the beginning. The puzzles and traps were so easy and easily avoidable they might as well not have been there.

Top Bottom