• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

okenny

Banned
800 armor? That's overkill. The armor cap is 577 or something. Also, armor rating does nothing to elemental damage.

EDIT: It says 567 from the wiki.

LOL! The wiki is wrong or I just got an awesome bug :) I'm currently at 766 and have no enchantments on any of my armor I just have my full daedric set my armor tree nearly maxed out save for the respite perk. I'm currently at 87 on heavy armor (from normal play... not exploits) so when I get to 100, I should be over 800. I also haven't re-smithed my legendary set with any smithing buffs which I read are additive even with your smithing maxed out. I could potentially be closer to 900 by the time it's all said and done.

I honestly don't believe I got the latest update because till yesterday, it seems that I haven't been logged on to xbox live since early last week. I recently put a pin on my Live account so it doesn't log me on automatically. Long story short, no patch means working magic for me and it also means the guardian stone I have activated for 50% magic resistance is doing its job :D

So yea after two tests the fox thing is accurate. One led me straight to an undiscovered cave, a second to undiscovered ruins. Cool as hell, wish I'd caught on earlier.

The Break of Dawn is a fantastic quest, marred by an underwhelming reward. Picked up a few thousand gold along the way, though. :lol

It's mind boggling to me that there are not lots of hugely expensive and desirable things in games like this so advanced level players have stuff to save for. An achievement for 100k gold doesn't cut it.

Goddammit. This whole time I've been following the goats.

Dresden

[edit] Is that elf dude that helps you out in the "Diplomatic Immunity" quest the unluckiest bastard alive? I finally get him out safely even though the idiot keeps getting in the Troll's face, but then he gets scooped up by a dragon. I barely save him and he starts running away... but then comes running back my way with 2 armed guards in tow. I kill the fuckers and turn around as he runs away hoping he just warps out of my life. Nope. Two bandits chase him back my way. Kill the bandits. BAM fucking sabertooth out of fucking nowhere. He's dead.

He does say that his life is ruined because of the quest, the sabertooth probably did him a favor.

Rokam

I was doing that Diplomatic Immunity quest and right after I gave that dick my gear a dragon attacked me down at the stables, longest fight ever.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
LOL! The wiki is wrong or I just got an awesome bug :) I'm currently at 766 and have no enchantments on any of my armor I just have my full daedric set my armor tree nearly maxed out save for the respite perk. I'm currently at 87 on heavy armor (from normal play... not exploits) so when I get to 100, I should be over 800. I also haven't re-smithed my legendary set with any smithing buffs which I read are additive even with your smithing maxed out. I could potentially be closer to 900 by the time it's all said and done.

I think you are mistaken. By armor cap, I mean that any armor rating above 567 no longer helps to reduce damage. The number can increase above 567, but it doesn't do anything in the damage calculation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

okenny

Banned
I think you are mistaken. By armor cap, I mean that any armor rating above 567 no longer helps to reduce damage. The number can increase above 567, but it doesn't do anything in the damage calculation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Gaah! Why the hell would they do something like that? ;_; I do crazy things to make the numbers go up and now the numbers mean nothing... why am I even alive? ;_;

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers from when you first enter Solitude:
Okay, so dude is about to get executed, and I'm not havin' it. I put an arrow into the executioner, conjure up some helpers, and fight off the remaining guards. A few villagers join the fray, which is unfortunate, but if they want to defend murder by the hands of an illegitimate authority, then fuck'em. The thing that REALLY pisses me off, though, is that some of the attacking villagers can't be killed. So, I'm left with a bunch of pissed off Solitudians (lol) every time I pass through town.

I ended up just reloading, shooting the executioner once to interrupt the murder, and then paying a measly fine, hah.

NBtoaster

The Riften house is awesome. Cosy, lakeside view, your own boat, a tanning rack, enchanting and alchemy, and best of all, your own chickens!

A shame there's no smelter in riften though :\

Loving the game even after 131 hours! About to start my 3nd playthrough (technically 2nd because I reloaded a old save as my first char and beat it again) as a Lizard guy (too tired to remember the race name). Aside from the bugs, occasional random fps drops in bright indoor areas, it might edge out Dark Souls for my fav this year. Because I'm still discovering new and cool things to do.

But the dragons and fighting them was a huge bunked opportunity imo.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
94 hours in and my save file has nearly completely shit itself. The map won't render properly, frame rate seems to have dropped across the board, my spells don't render and my thieves guild is glitched and won't let me progress. It feels silly to be complaining after getting so many hours out of it that worked properly, I just would like to continue playing :(.

I'm on the PC BTW. I think I'm gonna move on to Saint's Row and pick this up after patches I guess.

How u get 100k gold? With shops only having 1000 at a time.

max out your speech stat and you will make money pretty easily.

NBtoaster

Maces deal the most damage but are the slowest. Swords are fastest but deal the least damage. Axes are in between.

And they get different perks. Maces can get bleed damage over time, swords get a chance for critical hits, and maces can ignore a portion of the enemy armor.

Nose Master

Thieves Guild. Their line gives you two vendors in a close proximity with 4k gold, as well as one of them accepting stolen items. I find the area around White Phial in Windhelm is also pretty decent. White phial itself, blacksmith, and the three shops, all with 5k a piece. Just run to a town and dump off the trash every time you fill up your weight limit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spoilers from when you first enter Solitude:
Okay, so dude is about to get executed, and I'm not havin' it. I put an arrow into the executioner, conjure up some helpers, and fight off the remaining guards. A few villagers join the fray, which is unfortunate, but if they want to defend murder by the hands of an illegitimate authority, then fuck'em. The thing that REALLY pisses me off, though, is that some of the attacking villagers can't be killed. So, I'm left with a bunch of pissed off Solitudians (lol) every time I pass through town.

I ended up just reloading, shooting the executioner once to interrupt the murder, and then paying a measly fine, hah.

Wondered what the options were here. I
tried slaughtering everybody but ended up reloading out of convenience

Is there any way for companions to have a horse? I always feel bad now that they have to sprint after me and when a few trolls ambush me, me and my horse are usually blood splats on the floor by the time my companion arrives.

Arjen

Anyone did the Arniel's Endeavor quest til the end?
Ending was so weird and somewhat funny, love the reward though

leng jai

Is there any way for companions to have a horse? I always feel bad now that they have to sprint after me and when a few trolls ambush me, me and my horse are usually blood splats on the floor by the time my companion arrives.

Hell I have this problem even when I'm not using a horse. My companion always seem to get stuck on something and end up miles behind me. Shits annoying.

Luthos

Playing my thief...

And it's so freaking awesome that you can pickpocket the briarheart off a Forsworn Briarheart enemy and it instantly kills them. That's some straight Kano fatality shit from Mortal Kombat.

So ppl, I'm still early in the game, though it feels like I've been playing it like a crazy person, I'll have to check how many hours I've logged in the morning.

Anyway, with regards to the companions - can anyone help me to decide whether to
become a werewolf? I think it might be cool to have a beast form, but I don't particularly like lychanthrope lore and I kind of want to stay human, does this mean it puts a stop to my progression in the companions? If so, then so be it.

I've been putting off going to see the grey beards, and generally venturing very far beyond the constraints of whiterun because I have so many damn un-completed quests as it is at the moment, but I'm not seeing enough dragons, so I assume I need to progress the main story a bit.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
any decent wuuthrad reskins, thing looks like its out a game from 10 years ago..

Its my main weapon of choice.

Got my Skyrim OST today. The Jeremy Soule signature is in gold. My Skyrim collection is complete! :)

skyrimce.jpg

I bought the soundtrack the day it was available. So everyone else who did the same should expect to get their package soon.

Where did you get the OST from?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Playing my thief...

And it's so freaking awesome that you can pickpocket the briarheart off a Forsworn Briarheart enemy and it instantly kills them. That's some straight Kano fatality shit from Mortal Kombat.

Just did this for the first time today. Pretty sweet. I hate fighting Briarhearts so it felt great ripping the heart out of his chest.

Playing with companions has made the game a lot more interesting for me. I've made a minigame out of decking out the companions of the world, so that I can switch them out on the fly when I get bored of one or the other. Turns out they don't mess up stealth gameplay too much either, since you can pretty much tell them to stay put.

118 hours and I'm just starting to feel the wind-down. Haven't beaten the main quest yet but I'm still not bored of the game, I think I'll try to wrap up everything by 140 and leave some interesting stuff to do when I'm bored or for a new character.

At this point I think I can say this game is better than Morrowind as a whole package. We don't have levitation, athletics, custom spells or high jumping but I'm having way more fun past the 100 hour mark with this game and I'm still curious about doing a 2nd play through as a pure mage. The shouts have made magic pretty much useless for the build I'm currently playing but I still want to experience what the magic system has to offer.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

By looting every gems and enchanted gear and selling them and having nothing else to buy other than alchemy ingredients. You'll be amaze on how much gold you can get at lvl 50. I think im at 160k.

H3xum

The Riften house is awesome. Cosy, lakeside view, your own boat, a tanning rack, enchanting and alchemy, and best of all, your own chickens!

A shame there's no smelter in riften though :\

So what am I missing here? I can't get the Riften house. The Jarl is just babbling about the stormcloaks

Seanspeed

Banned
I never realized that when walking around without boots on, you can hear your bare feet on the ground! Sweet. I'm going robes/hood only now(with circlet and ring, still).

NBtoaster

So what am I missing here? I can't get the Riften house. The Jarl is just babbling about the stormcloaks

I don't know how to do it the proper way. I advanced through the main quest, and when the time came I
gave Riften to the imperials
. When I came back into town I was allowed to buy the house.

bengraven

Holy shit, you know those marks on some buildings? You KNOW they were there for something.

Turns out they were left by the Thieves Guild.

5RyHE.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I quickly visted Riften and then accidentally visited Windhelm. I wanted to hit the mage college and I got to Winterhold about 6-7 hours ago and it's been great to me. I just got the point where
I dispatch Arcano
. The story/tasks are very enjoyable and you get to hit up another
Dwarven dungeon
. I think I'm going to finish up as many things in this city or at least go until I get the itch to go back to my Whiterun stuff. All I'm doing there are animal extinction missions so it's nothing big. Riften, from a visual standpoint, is pretty disappointing. Even Winterhold is sort of disappointing. I don't mind all the snow but I do crave for some more cities in lush areas or akin to the previous games. They are well designed but just aesthetically not as pleasing.

I should note that I haven't really fully tackled any cities except Whiterun and I'm working in Winterhold. Markath was partially explored and I have my main house there but I haven't gone into the caves at all or a lot of the underground stuff. I hit Solitude up for curiosity sake and it is my favorite city by far but I'm being patient and sticking to this path for now.

Ya...Im suprised you cant improve scaled armor.

Well im trying to improve my Nightingale, Shrouded, and Thieves guild armor leather sets. I have them all up to flawless but whenever I try to up the quality to legendary it says I dont have enough skills to do so. Mind you I have 100 smithing and all im missing is the Glass armor perk.

started playing again recently. and im pretty much new to all things ES. and i was wondering, should i buy spells or jsut find them in caves? trying to be more of a mage guy.

Kworn

Banned
This new update for XBOX is unplayable...

Last night I was trying to right a Dragon who was flying backwards and going all spaztic on me. It kept getting stuck in the hills and trees around me. Then two fuck of big bears appear and the framerate drops to like 5 FPS.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Have been playing the game fine with no glitches apart from the odd freeze for 30+ hours up till now.

WTFuckity fuck

Holy shit, you know those marks on some buildings? You KNOW they were there for something.

Turns out they were left by the Thieves Guild.

There's a book about that in-game. It's called Shadowmarks. There should be a copy somewhere in the guild hideout. I keep it in my inventory since it's useful.

Rengoku

I need to work on my defense against mages. Currently all my gear is dual enchanted focusing on enhancing one-handed weapons and lowering destruction magic cost. My current total armor rating is 483, but from what I understand it doesn't make much of a difference against magic. When I go up against adept or master mages, I'm usually dead after like 3-4 blasts. Most of the time I'm able to get by with using Whirlwind Sprint and then just slice them up close. But I'd prefer not to have to rely on a shout especially because of the cooldown timer.

One possible solution I think would be to create a new set of gear focused mainly on magic and elemental resistance that I would swap in when going up against mages. But what I'd like to know is, if I enchant my gear with magic resistance, will that also cover all 3 elemental damage as well?

Top Bottom