• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

AEREC

I have a question about skills. I know the soft level cap is 50 and then progress slows considerably. What about skill progression? Will it slow to a crawl too or will all skills advance normally without the benefit of pirks? I'm worried that I'll only be able to have a limited skill set forcing me to focus on select skills in order to get the most out of my character.

You still get perks for each level after 50...the skills just progress slower.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
One thing about being a thief who picks every door lock at night and rummages around your goods as you sleep, is you discover Quest items way before the quest storyline wants you to.

Case in point:
The Windhelm butcher quest

Though I must say I love not putting any perks into my Lockpicking skill and just going completely by skill, I can pick Expert locks just by feel and may only loose 1 or 2 lockpicks. I will need to eventually upgrade though I fear for Master level locks.

shuri

Banned
I'm level 11 now, and i'm still using some ancient nord battle axe that i found within the first hour of the game. I still one-shot humans making most trips to quests spots hilarious. It makes me feel like i'm sort of Medieval Terminator. Even dragons arent much of a challenge. This has to be the easiest Elder Scroll game so far.. I almost feel like creating a new character. I always played the other games as magicians, and this is the first time that I use a generic fighter build..

eek5

Though I must say I love not putting any perks into my Lockpicking skill and just going completely by skill, I can pick Expert locks just by feel and may only loose 1 or 2 lockpicks. I will need to eventually upgrade though I fear for Master level locks.

I don't have any perks in lockpicking and I can pick master locks pretty easily. I actually find them less difficult than the "easier" locks because once you find the sweet spot you can pretty much turn it all the way.

Aesius

Has there ever been a fix for random crashes to the desktop with no error message? I get them after 2-3 hours of gameplay without fail, and they seem to be occuring more frequently as time goes on.

The new patch seems to do nothing to fix this.

Aurora

In all seriousness though, I guess I'll take it back. It's not broken, it's just different for me. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I'll just end up being annoyed more and more. :lol
I was about to argue that it wasn't broken at all but you took it back.

I think the archery system is great in this game. Archery is overpowered as it is so having to work for your shots is a welcome addition. I adjusted to the arc pretty quickly to be honest - it only really becomes difficult when trying to lead shots and compensate for the arc at the same time.

One thing that really pisses me off though is the Matrix dodge some of these creatures do. I'll be fully hidden in Sneak Mode yet they still know to dodge, and now they are all alerted to my presence and I'm fucked. Very annoying.

can anyone tell me who this is?

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20111014041714566.jpg

kodt

Banned
Is there a console command to start a quest if the supposed quest giver doesn't do so?

Yeah, find the quest on the Wiki and look for the ID.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Quests

Here are the commands:
GetStage <quest id> - Used to get the current quest stage for given quest ID (use command ShowQuestTargets for IDs).

player.sqs <quest id> - Used to display all the stages of a quest

SetStage <quest id> <stage value> - Used to set the quest stage (Useful for bugged quests) use command ShowQuestTargets for quest IDs and player.sqs to show how many stages are there (note that you have set the stage one at a time in order to get its effect.)

AEREC

Gonna start a mage character...is there any reason not to do the Mage College Questline until later levels... like level scaling items that you get, etc...?

Or is the Thieves Guild the only guild you should wait until you are level 32+ to do?

Christine

kodt, any chance you know how to delete abandoned misc quest journal entries?

In particular, I have the bug listed here: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Investigate_the_Hall_of_the_Dead

Obviously it's not important except for anal-retentive urges towards completionism or at least tidiness

AEREC said:
Gonna start a mage character...is there any reason not to do the Mage College Questline until later levels... like level scaling items that you get, etc...?

Many of the mid-tier spells are unlocked merely by discovering
Labyrinthian
, so it's quite possible to ignore the College until later if you so choose. I don't know of any real reason to postpone it, though.

Arjen

Cool moment i just had.
I decided to visit my brother in law in Riverwood, he has a nice shop and i have to unload some stuf i found along my travels. I arrive late in the night, and see a thief picking his door.
I was in a good mood, and decided not to kill him on the spot, but try and talk him out of it.
To bad for the man, the 6 guards didn't agree with me being a softy, and as soon as i tapped his shoulder they attacked him, and soon left him as a bloody corpse.

Why is that? I am level 19 and really want to start the TG. Should I just go do the Dark Brotherhood until level 32?

I started the Thieves Guild right from the start of my second playthrough. Had no real trouble, so you can start it if you want to.

Fuck level scaling items, though. Beth did it right for the most part, but then they decide to throw in a few just to fuck with us, apparently.

kodt

Banned
So could I use this to start the "Dampened Spirits" quest in the Thieve's Guild line? The lady I am supposed to talk to doesn't give it to me. I am hoping this is the case.

yeah, so I think you could just enter this in the console and you should get it:

SetStage TG03 10

Need help with The Fallen quest (may be bug related).

I cant seem to find the jarl anywhere in the Dragonsreach, but the arrow is pointing towards that area. Is this a glitch, or am I missing something?

bengraven

I still refuse to log into Steam and have Skyrim update. I know that there will always be bugs, but I'm still a bit nervous.

can anyone tell me who this is?

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20111014041714566.jpg

I'm about 75% sure that's the DB lackie you get when you finish the DB questline. The female one. She's hanging around with me lately and we occasionally are doing dual slow mo kills.

I still refuse to log into Steam and have Skyrim update. I know that there will always be bugs, but I'm still a bit nervous.

I'm about 75% sure that's the DB lackie you get when you finish the DB questline. The female one. She's hanging around with me lately and we occasionally are doing dual slow mo kills.

how do i get that animation or assassin kill like that? i'm at level 22 with sneak pretty high, but when i sneak up to someone and use my elven dagger, it never does that

Plasmid

So as you level more, do your weapons get more powerful? I see pictures of nightingale bow legendary with 149 damage, and mines only like.. 37. :(.

Avinexus

So as you level more, do your weapons get more powerful? I see pictures of nightingale bow legendary with 149 damage, and mines only like.. 37. :(.

Yes, one-handed weapons do more damage if you have a higher one-handed skill (same for all other weapons), but you also can smith them to make them better as well.

Avinexus

Do you get the armor at the beginning or the end? Just wondering if I can start the questline and just make sure I finish up after level 32.

You get a set at the beginning and you get a better set (basically the same set, just better stats) at the end of the Thieves guild quest line.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Do enchantments on your followers' equipment do nothing? I enchanted the stuff I had on Lydia for four pieces of gear with Fortify Carry Weight +37, but she has no additional carrying capacity apparently.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
pac8o.jpg

So my handcrafted quest/map thing is going along swimmingly. I got COMPLETELY lost for like 2 hours last night. Not like lost like I couldn't find my way. But lost like I was inside the game. Stop using the HUD right now. Stop using the menu maps right now. The game becomes something completely different. It was like a dream, looking back on it. The pace is so much slower. Navigating becomes this methodical practice. It becomes real. I'm not quite done making it yet, but most of the pieces are complete. Enough so that I actually played with it last night. It was incredible. Go from landmark to landmark and try to gauge which direction you need to go in. It was sooo much fun. I've also started only playing at night. And I wear this giant wool hood scarf thing, too.

I'm in deep.

Its not perfect. I'm regretful I'm not playing the PC version. Because surely there will be some mods that help facilitate this style of hardcore roleplaying. Not having a HUD can cause significant issues with combat, mainly with the bow. BUT, I've gotten pretty used to it. After two days of play without a cross hair I'm pretty accurate again. Dungeons become a pretty giant undertaking without a map. Its much scarier and intense. And takes probably twice as long, since I'm forced to check every place instead of just barreling through.

I'm also reading a ton of the in game books too. Which are kinda cool. I read a cook book that had a recipe for a souffle, its taking every ounce of willpower not to try and make a sunrise souffle in real life. But I think the recipe is pretty bunk, or at the very least not geared towards modern cooking.

Needless to say, I'm super into Skyrim now.

pac8o.jpg

So my handcrafted quest/map thing is going along swimmingly. I got COMPLETELY lost for like 2 hours last night. Not like lost like I couldn't find my way. But lost like I was inside the game. Stop using the HUD right now. Stop using the menu maps right now. The game becomes something completely different. It was like a dream, looking back on it. The pace is so much slower. Navigating becomes this methodical practice. It becomes real. I'm not quite done making it yet, but most of the pieces are complete. Enough so that I actually played with it last night. It was incredible. Go from landmark to landmark and try to gauge which direction you need to go in. It was sooo much fun. I've also started only playing at night. And I wear this giant wool hood scarf thing, too.

I'm in deep.

Its not perfect. I'm regretful I'm not playing the PC version. Because surely there will be some mods that help facilitate this style of hardcore roleplaying. Not having a HUD can cause significant issues with combat, mainly with the bow. BUT, I've gotten pretty used to it. After two days of play without a cross hair I'm pretty accurate again. Dungeons become a pretty giant undertaking without a map. Its much scarier and intense. And takes probably twice as long, since I'm forced to check every place instead of just barreling through.

I'm also reading a ton of the in game books too. Which are kinda cool. I read a cook book that had a recipe for a souffle, its taking every ounce of willpower not to try and make a sunrise souffle in real life. But I think the recipe is pretty bunk, or at the very least not geared towards modern cooking.

Very cool, man. Very cool.

Once my exams are done in January, I have two weeks of free time. I'm doing this. I'm gonna one-up you, I'm only going to use the physical map that came with the game, assuming I haven't framed it by then (still looking for a large enough frame). Gonna play this shit like it's Morrowind: I used the physical map for that one a lot.

MrBig

I'm in deep.

Thinking I'm going to do something similar to this for when I start a new character for DLC. On PC you can disable Quest and enemy markers on the compass and HUD, so I would be able to retain the healthbars and directions.

I really botched my first playthrough with excessive fast traveling.

i read this great book centered around lock picking and vampires yesterday.

Very cool, man. Very cool.

Once my exams are done in January, I have two weeks of free time. I'm doing this. I'm gonna one-up you, I'm only going to use the physical map that came with the game, assuming I haven't framed it by then (still looking for a large enough frame). Gonna play this shit like it's Morrowind: I used the physical map for that one a lot.

you need to use the map first, break it in, then frame it as a reminder of your time in skyrim.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Markarth dude. In my opinion, it's better than the Solitude house. And it's only 8,000 Gold (before upgrades).

How the hell do you get this? The Jarl doesn't have an option to buy the house like the other ones did for me.

Top Bottom