• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Argh! I'm so missing Skyrim right now. I haven't played in a week thanks to being out of the country for a few days, and the past couple of nights have been filled with catching up on other projects or being too damn tired to play. I'm hopeful I'll get back to it tonight, but I'm like an addict who can't get his fix about now.

Do you guys know what are the best places to kill..

- An Orc
- A Falmer
- A Dark Elf
- A Wood Elf
- A High Elf

... that doesn't involve killing NPCs related to quests or shops? It's for a quest I have to complete (that I jumped onto accidentally.. and it's pretty damn awesome).
For the dark elf i just went to whiterun hired janeesa the bounty hunter and fast travel to the throat of the world. Lets just say Janeesa wont be missed.....

GhaleonEB

Why? Those are features that have a purpose, imo. That arc is just odd in relation to the crosshair, you know, the thing you aim with.

I'm just annoyed by it because I'm still used to Oblivion's archery. Arrows tended to go where you pointed them and would keep flying lower until they hit the ground. In Skyrim, they want to get as close to the sky first.

I assume he means those elements are additional factors to take into account when engaging in certain behaviors, sort of like how the arrow arc is something to keep in mind when lining up shots.

I like the idea of having to take a flight path into account. The more I think about it, the less it bothers me, since I've adjusted to it so well. This conversation has actually made me decide I'd rather it stay in. :lol

Last night I was doing a section where I was sniping Forsworn from super long range and found several with arrows in their faces. It felt good knowing accounted for the arc and lead time (the were walking) correctly. It was more satisfying than it would have been had I just put the reticule on them and that been that.

The reticule tells us the center of the arrow arc - it will go slightly above initially and then drop below after. I wish I'd known about it in advance, though, it was madding for a while, not knowing how it worked.

I agree with some people on here who are saying the difficulty of this game can seem inconsistent. Doing the 2nd to last quest in the Thieves Guild was the most glaring example I've seen so far. Leading up to the boss, the Falmer were giving me the hardest time I've had in this game and they got me a few times. The two companions I was with kept getting knocked out as well. I kept thinking man this boss battle is gonna be great. I get to the boss he sprints after me and does some kind of Wonder Woman spinning move and it takes almost no health from me. I power hit him with 2h, and he's stunned, whack him a couple more times and he's out. Damn what a let down. Great game, just weird difficulty spikes.

nel e nel

Why? Those are features that have a purpose, imo. That arc is just odd in relation to the crosshair, you know, the thing you aim with.

I'm just annoyed by it because I'm still used to Oblivion's archery. Arrows tended to go where you pointed them and would keep flying lower until they hit the ground. In Skyrim, they want to get as close to the sky first.

What purpose do those things I listed serve besides making it more 'realistic'? Obviously one can't go questing for 48 hours straight without sleeping, or run non-stop without tiring, or carry an infinite amount of loot.

The arc on the bow is just another function of making the game more 'realistic'. (how many times do you see a fantasy movie where the archers in the castle shoot almost straight up in the air to reach a target in the distance?) It makes perfect sense to me, and I account for it whenever I use my bow. If gravity works on everything else but not arrows, doesn't that break the game?

Now if you're comparing it to Oblivion, that's another argument altogether. I haven't played Oblivion so I can't comment.

If it's really that different, perhaps the only function it serves is to annoy the shit out of you, hmmm? ;)

bengraven

Related to the question above, if you choose not to cure yourself can you do it later?

Otherwise I have those hags' heads in my inventory (four of them at 4 pounds a piece - did you know the human brain weights 8 pounds? not hags apparently) and I can't ditch them.

If it's really that different, perhaps the only function it serves is to annoy the shit out of you, hmmm? ;)

Dammit Bethesda, last time I'm doing an OT for you.

*checks OT thread, sees he volunteered for Prey 2*

Fuck.

In all seriousness though, I guess I'll take it back. It's not broken, it's just different for me. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I'll just end up being annoyed more and more. :lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Related to the question above, if you choose not to cure yourself can you do it later?

Otherwise I have those hags' heads in my inventory (four of them at 4 pounds a piece - did you know the human brain weights 8 pounds? not hags apparently) and I can't ditch them.

Yes.

By the way, do 360 players here know if the latest patch actually fixed the texture streaming issue?

Not sure, but I'm inclined to say no. I just installed the game to USB last night and things didn't seem all that great. For example, I had a shield in my inventory that looked liked the texture was from 1995. However, I just jumped back in after not playing for a couple weeks so my memory could be sketchy.

Of course it certainly didn't stop me from 6 hours straight hours of clearing a barrow, finding the hidden tomb underneath said barrow, exploring a bear cave, hiking through a mountain pass, being attacked by a group of witches, climbing to a mountain fortress...

Nymerio

So a guy at work today told me that by using smithing and enchanting I was abusing some kind of bug in the game that me too powerful. What's that all about? I have smithing at 100 and enchanting at 70 but I'm not feeling overpowered at all... I'm playing a sword/shield nord and I'm currently level 36. I have not noticed the difficulty getting noticably easier (Playing on expert).

Mindman

Got my OST in the mail yesterday, open it up today and try putting disc 1 in my car CD player not realizing there is a disc in there already. I scratched it all to hell and now it's won't play. :( Do you guys know if there is a way to contact DirectSong about a replacement disc?

GhaleonEB

So a guy at work today told me that by using smithing and enchanting I was abusing some kind of bug in the game that me too powerful. What's that all about? I have smithing at 100 and enchanting at 70 but I'm not feeling overpowered at all... I'm playing a sword/shield nord and I'm currently level 36. I have not noticed the difficulty getting noticably easier (Playing on expert).

I think there's an exploit where you can re-smith/enchant something to get the stats absurdly high. I don't even know what it is, since I'm not interested in that kind of stuff. Just getting your skills high and the related perks, then using them to improve your gear isn't likely what he was talking about.

I'm slowly leveling up my enchanting and smithing skills, and have also found it not to break anything. I'm no Expert difficulty as well.

Currently listening to "Dragonsreach" on the OST, which is one of my favorite tracks in the game. The score for Skyrim is really incredible.

Macmanus

Heard a bit of complaints about the Mage College questline.

I'm enjoying it thus far. and I'm currently off to
collect the staff of Magnus.

Is it that it's so short? Is it that the obvious antagonist is about as subtle as Jafar? Do I just have painfully low expectations or simply bad taste in everything ever?

Nymerio

Ah, like if you stack stats by drinking potions/wearing items and then crafting stuff that up your skills even higher. Don't do that, I think alchemy is too much of a bother anyway. I'm constantly brewing potions till I have no herbs left and I still can't get my alchemy level up by a reasonable amount.

Got my OST in the mail yesterday, open it up today and try putting disc 1 in my car CD player not realizing there is a disc in there already. I scratched it all to hell and now it's won't play. :( Do you guys know if there is a way to contact DirectSong about a replacement disc?

You'll have to buy the complete OST again.

EDIT: How long did it take them to ship your OST? I ordered mine two weeks ago and it's still showing 'card approved' :(

Ah, like if you stack stats by drinking potions/wearing items and then crafting stuff that up your skills even higher. Don't do that, I think alchemy is too much of a bother anyway. I'm constantly brewing potions till I have no herbs left and I still can't get my alchemy level up by a reasonable amount.

Well either way, he's pretty much wrong. It's part of the game, not an exploit.

If I wanna rock 4 different clothing pieces that help me smith to legendary, then I'm gonna do it. Not cheating at all, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus it makes me feel like a boss.

Alchemy goes up based on the price of the potion/poison you produce. Find out which ones are worth a lot and stick to making those. Your alchemy skill will fly upwards.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Do you guys know what are the best places to kill..

- An Orc
- A Falmer
- A Dark Elf
- A Wood Elf
- A High Elf

... that doesn't involve killing NPCs related to quests or shops? It's for a quest I have to complete (that I jumped onto accidentally.. and it's pretty damn awesome).

For everything but high elf and Falmer you should be able to clear any place filled with bandits or rogue mages and get what you need.

For high elves there's the thalmar embassy northwest of solitude. (they will send an assassin after you at some point though but that bitch was cake)

Then the Falmer are in any dwarven ruin. You should have blackreach open. Assuming you didn't kill everyone in that bitch it should have one running around in there somewhere.

Not sure, but I'm inclined to say no. I just installed the game to USB last night and things didn't seem all that great. For example, I had a shield in my inventory that looked liked the texture was from 1995. However, I just jumped back in after not playing for a couple weeks so my memory could be sketchy.

Of course it certainly didn't stop me from 6 hours straight hours of clearing a barrow, finding the hidden tomb underneath said barrow, exploring a bear cave, hiking through a mountain pass, being attacked by a group of witches, climbing to a mountain fortress...

Well, I've been seeing shitty textures in my inventory even with the game uninstalled lately... It's really strange. I'll open my inventory and the Leather Boots I picked up will look fine. Ten minutes later I'll have another look and they'll be a blurry mess.

Mindman

You'll have to buy the complete OST again.

EDIT: How long did it take them to ship your OST? I ordered mine two weeks ago and it's still showing 'card approved' :(

Ahh ok. That's what I thought. :( I'd rather rip the music from my discs but I am forced to download it now. It took about 4 weeks to ship.

Well, I've been seeing shitty textures in my inventory even with the game uninstalled lately... It's really strange. I'll open my inventory and the Leather Boots I picked up will look fine. Ten minutes later I'll have another look and they'll be a blurry mess.

yep, that is my issue exactly. so i guess nobody gets to have nice things now?

Christine

Alchemy goes up based on the price of the potion/poison you produce. Find out which ones are worth a lot and stick to making those. Your alchemy skill will fly upwards.

Adding to this, the potions with the best prices are those that have multiple effects. There seems to be some sort of multiplier at play. It doesn't matter if you have beneficial and harmful effects on the same potion, either--so brew up a bunch of Slow/Fortify Health/Damage Magicka/Resist Fire monstrosities.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Updated
Product Update - Valve
Patch 1.3 Notes:

General stability improvements
Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs
Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

Nice!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I posted that in the PC thread first but as coming right over to spread it here. I hope to God this spreads more load onto the other 2 cores in x4 CPU's.

Christine

Oooh, somebody check out if the resists are fixed. I'm still rocking the initial release, so I don't want to patch up unless that works correctly.

Nymerio

Thanks for the alchemy tips. What's a quick way of leveling sneaking? Is it enough to just sneak around? Because my sneak skill just increased after I shot a guy with my bow, now I'm not sure if am supposed to just sneak attack every one or only walk around in sneak mode.

Dresden

Thanks for the alchemy tips. What's a quick way of leveling sneaking? Is it enough to just sneak around? Because my sneak skill just increased after I shot a guy with my bow, now I'm not sure if am supposed to just sneak attack every one or only walk around in sneak mode.

Sneak attacking seems to give a big boost. Sneak just levels fast, though, just sneak around and get sneak attacks and it'll hit 100 in no time.

Slermy

I look forward to an "Oblivion Styled Archery" mod for Skyrim.

I think we can all agree Chillrend is one fucking awesome sword. It looks awesome, it feels awesome, it's just fucking awesome.

And I'm really starting to like the 'Autosave on Menu'-feature Beth's implemented. I had put it on 10 minutes, but lately I've put it back to 5 because I'm using it as an improvised quicksave feature.

ShinNL

W00t, I'd happen to have that CPU :D I thought the game ran fine, I wonder how it will be now then :D
HOOOOOOOLYYYY SHITTTT!

Okay, resistance has been fixed, that makes me very happy.

But the unexpected Core 2 Duo fix (I thought my game ran fine) is freaking insane. It has increased my framerate like 50-100% :O!!!

Sneaking around close to enemies will make it go up but actual sneak attacks will make it go up much faster.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
do the multi-level perks stack? The ones with 5 different levels, typically percentage modifiers for damage

3phemeral

Well, something cool happened last night that was botched by a remnant Markarth quest.

While traveling at night along the main path from Markarth way past the two bridges, farm, and mine that lead up to the city, I spotted a
headless horseman
just riding along the path. I followed him up to just before Salvius Farm, then he headed back and across the bridge near Kolskeggr Mine. I kept running out of stamina but was adamant to follow him, until I got caught in an auto-opened dialog with freakin' Brother Verulus, who I haven't seen since "The Taste of Death" was originally broken.

He kept following me around, and being that I've been trying to complete that quest since I first started it, finished out the dialog and tried to resume course, but Verulus kept following me and opening up a dialog. I eventually got away from him and ran to chase the
headless horseman
down, but I couldn't find him.
LLShC.gif

Mastperf

I have a question about skills. I know the soft level cap is 50 and then progress slows considerably. What about skill progression? Will it slow to a crawl too or will all skills advance normally without the benefit of pirks? I'm worried that I'll only be able to have a limited skill set forcing me to focus on select skills in order to get the most out of my character.

AEREC

do the multi-level perks stack? The ones with 5 different levels, typically percentage modifiers for damage

Not sure what you mean by perks stacking. Each time you invest in a perk that has multiple levels it replaces the previous value and does not add to it.

Sometimes the dialog is really awesome. :lol

"You are the best Septim that's ever ruled. Well, except for that Martin fella, but he turned into a dragon god, and that's hardly sporting..."

And then the allusions that
the Champion of Cyrodiil really did turn into Sheogorath at the end of Shivering Isles...

"You know, I was there for that whole sordid affair. Marvelous time! Butterflies, blood, a Fox, a severed head... Oh, and the cheese! To die for."
I'm wondering what all the things he's mentioning are.
Fox = the Gray Fox
a severed head = the Dark Brotherhood
the cheese = his own quest in Oblivion
, but butterflies and blood?

Helps that Wes Johnson's voice is so awesome. :lol

EDIT:
"I'm a mad god. Thé mad god, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."

So glorious if you know what he's talking about.

Top Bottom