• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

Did anyone feel kind of dirty doing the
Dark Brotherhood quest where you kill Vittoria Vici?
If she'd been some arrogant ditz or something I'd have been fine, but she seemed like a nice enough person. :(

Was she some nice old lady? I got one contract with an introduction about how hard it will be to kill someone so old and kind, and then completed it instantly because I'd already killed her.

Joining the DB was like coming home.

What world do you people live in?

I've been debating picking this up for a while now. I've basically boiled it down to: do I want to risk serious implications for my social life and good habits generally? Is it worth it?

This game is like crack. I've uninstalled it for a day to try to get more work done. Ended up buying the game guide and reading it in my "spare" time and that lead me to reinstalling it a day later...

Nice to know thanks! I already got 100 into enchanted and was hoping those 25% stack. Was trying to figure out if getting up to 100% for a single school of magic was better than a buttload of magic regen (I think it was 62% each or something?)

yup but you can't stack the same enchantment twice on a single item just so you know, the perk only allows two separate enchants. Definitely go for cheaper magic over regen, the regen in-combat is so slow even with boosts that it's not worth going down that road. You'll find throwing dual incinerates for free really frees up your mp pool ;)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Was she some nice old lady? I got one contract with an introduction about how hard it will be to kill someone so old and kind, and then completed it instantly because I'd already killed her.

Joining the DB was like coming home.

Nah, she was
the Emperor's cousin who was in Solitude getting married. She seemed really rather humble and was up on the balcony trying to give some sort of peacemaking speech...right before I shot an arrow through her heart from down below. She had a pretty dress so I had to take it off her body for my own character to wear from time to time though.

yup but you can't stack the same enchantment twice on a single item just so you know, the perk only allows two separate enchants. Definitely go for cheaper magic over regen, the regen in-combat is so slow even with boosts that it's not worth going down that road. You'll find throwing dual incinerates for free really frees up your mp pool ;)

Yea time to make my 4th set of Glass armor :D I think each of my companions is wearing an old set of mine at this point lol. Has anyone had trouble summoning Dremora? I have the spell and it seems to use the mana but nothing happens. I'm a Breton btw if that helps. Is this a bug or am I just too early in the game to summon dremoras?

GhaleonEB

Nah, she was
the Emperor's cousin who was in Solitude getting married. She seemed really rather humble and was up on the balcony trying to give some sort of peacemaking speech...right before I shot an arrow through her heart from down below. She had a pretty dress so I had to take it off her body for my own character to wear from time to time though.

Ah, her. Yeah that was a fun target. I shot her from a high perch so no one saw me (no bounty) and watched all hell break loose. Good times!

NBtoaster

Just cleared out Blackreach. I like how it virtually has it's own ecosystem.

And to anyone who hasn't yet, be sure to use unrelenting force on the giant yellow orb in the centre.

Socreges

Banned
This game is like crack. I've uninstalled it for a day to try to get more work done. Ended up buying the game guide and reading it in my "spare" time and that lead me to reinstalling it a day later...
1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

I think I'll continue to avoid this game.

GhaleonEB

Just cleared out Blackreach. I like how it virtually has it's own ecosystem.

And to anyone who hasn't yet, be sure to use unrelenting force on the giant yellow orb in the centre.

Is Blackreach part of a quest, or can I just go there and loot it? I've found it but was saving it for later.

MrBig

Is Blackreach part of a quest, or can I just go there and loot it? I've found it but was saving it for later.

Main quest.

You can access it early via
an old man in a cavern northwest of the College, but what he asks for is still part of the main quest.

Mindlog

A severely wounded dragon is careening towards your comrade. Brave posturing does nothing to oppose the limping beast. The dragon's attention shifts and another party member approaches death. A mysterious stranger appears. The stranger ignores you completely as he is fixated on the dragon. He readies himself as if to land a killing blow. Perhaps this one is responsible for the dragon's wounds. Seemingly out of Oblivion, another dragon attacks the mysterious stranger from behind. Undeterred the stranger eliminates the first dragon and then turns his attention to the newcomer. In a matter of seconds a flurry of erupting flame leaves the formerly frightening monster nothing but a smoldering mass bone. The mysterious stranger is illuminated as he absorbs the twin dragon souls.

Hey, asshole. Why are you shooting arrows at me? Did you see what I just did? My black soul gems are filled. You are useless to me.

I believe? I am finally heading into the last stretch of the main quest and I just found a new hamlet.

Game is pretty good.

GhaleonEB

Main quest.

You can access it early via
an old man in a cavern northwest of the College, but what he asks for is still part of the main quest.

Thanks. I'm leaning more and more toward holding off on the rest of the main quest for my second character. My archer is so powerful I one-shot nearly all enemies now, which is fun but a lot of the challenge is gone. The play style also means I'm not using most Shouts, except to toy with guys or as a last minute save.

I'll probably wrap the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, tool around a bit more, then start my second.

Speaking of the Dark Brotherhood....would you let this person cook you dinner?

IMG_6195.jpg

Dark Brotherhood spoilers.

The main quest did get much more interesting in terms of targets, such as the wedding snipe (the highlight so far) and the cooks. Each contract was not as clever (just basic kill jobs) but the wicked humor from Oblivion carried over intact.

I initially walked into the place forgetting to wear my newly-obtained chef's hat, so I reloaded and went back and put it on before introducing myself. Remarkable what a chef's hat will convince people. :lol

I did not see the twist coming, though I should have, and I really didn't suspect Astrid. It was quite shocking seeing her in that state, and reminded me of finding the fellow that invited me to the Brotherhood in Oblivion getting flayed alive.

The escape from the castle was quite fun. I had parked Shadowmere right outside the gates, and she came running down the path (away from the guards) and we leaped into the water and swam away, arrows whizzing past our heads. Good stuff.

I was bummed the werewolf dude was scripted to die. I played that section over several times and twice killed everyone before he took any damage, and he still dropped dead. No loot, either, the naked bastard. :(

I'm sucked into the story and going to plow ahead tonight.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol since i have my desk and xbox setup inside a closet opening it up and going into skyrim is like those religious children books with the lyon

MrBig

Dark Brotherhood spoilers.

The main quest did get much more interesting in terms of targets, such as the wedding snipe (the highlight so far) and the cooks. Each contract was not as clever (just basic kill jobs) but the wicked humor from Oblivion carried over intact.

I initially walked into the place forgetting to wear my newly-obtained chef's hat, so I reloaded and went back and put it on before introducing myself. Remarkable what a chef's hat will convince people. :lol

I did not see the twist coming, though I should have, and I really didn't suspect Astrid. It was quite shocking seeing her in that state, and reminded me of finding the fellow that invited me to the Brotherhood in Oblivion getting flayed alive.

The escape from the castle was quite fun. I had parked Shadowmere right outside the gates, and she came running down the path (away from the guards) and we leaped into the water and swam away, arrows whizzing past our heads. Good stuff.

I was bummed the werewolf dude was scripted to die. I played that section over several times and twice killed everyone before he took any damage, and he still dropped dead. No loot, either, the naked bastard. :(

I'm sucked into the story and going to plow ahead tonight.

What really disappointed me about the DB quest was that
when you walk into the room with the emperor you hear him saying something about aligning with him being more lucrative than murdering him. Since I was never too keen on killing him on the first place I thought this might be a perfect opportunity to turn on rather boring DB quests and lead into a larger story arc. But alas I found no way to carry out his suggestion (even though there is an option to not give him the poison, you still have to kill him, and cannot speak to him). Huge opportunity missed.

GhaleonEB

What really disappointed me about the DB quest was that
when you walk into the room with the emperor you hear him saying something about aligning with him being more lucrative than murdering him. Since I was never too keen on killing him on the first place I thought this might be a perfect opportunity to turn on rather boring DB quests and lead into a larger story arc. But alas I found no way to carry out his suggestion (even though there is an option to not give him the poison, you still have to kill him, and cannot speak to him). Huge opportunity missed.

That's been the case with most quests, really. I recall more quests branching in Oblivion, is faulty memory or did Oblivion's split more? Not enough to affect the outcome of a quest line, but in method and specific quest outcome.

The main quests are rather vanilla, and the assassinations bland.
Bethesda put a lot of effort into the radiant quest system, which adds something to repeat play, but seemingly at the cost of stronger missions.

"Unlimited quests" sound great until you find they're quests to go steal the same candlestick over and over.

bengraven

I don't really consider the melee boring. It's just a bit less powerful than Condemned, which is still one of my favorite combat systems ever.

I guess people get spoiled on other games.

That said, archery is this game is fucking FUN.

That's been the case with most quests, really. I recall more quests branching in Oblivion, is faulty memory or did Oblivion's split more? Not enough to affect the outcome of a quest line, but in method and specific quest outcome.

The main quests are rather vanilla, and the assassinations bland.
Bethesda put a lot of effort into the radiant quest system, which adds something to repeat play, but seemingly at the cost of stronger missions.

Not at all. I don't think any quests had a branching option in Oblivion. Your only choice was how to do some quests but with no different outcome.

Skyrim in that regards is a massive improvement. A huge chunk of the "named" quests have options, including all the Daedra quests, that change the ending.

GhaleonEB

Not at all. I don't think any quests had a branching option in Oblivion. Your only choice was how to do some quests but with no different outcome.

Skyrim in that regards is a massive improvement. A huge chunk of the "named" quests have options, including all the Daedra quests, that change the ending.

It had been so long since I played Oblivion, I honestly couldn't remember. :lol

I think my disappointment stems from the quality of many of the missions, the Dark Brotherhood assassinations and the Thieves Guild quest line in particular. The writing and scenarios were so much stronger. It's really the only way in which Skyrim disappoints me.

I've only run into a couple quests with optional outcomes in Skyrim so far.

NBtoaster

Finally encountered a wispmother. I'm level 43, so I easily destroyed it. They're only level 28, why did it take me so long to find one :s

GhaleonEB

Just read Uncommon Tastes by The Gourmet.

Dude deserved to be killed. The very first recipe is flawed: it's a souffle, but eggs are not on the ingredient list, even though the instructions mentions separating them. Worst. Cookbook author. Ever.

Dude deserved to be killed. The very first recipe is flawed: it's a souffle, but eggs are not on the ingredient list, even though the instructions mentions separating them. Worst. Cookbook author. Ever.

Well he is
an Orc, they aren't very bright at the best of times.

soldat7

Two questions:

1) Should I get this on 360 this Christmas? (my PC is crap)
2) Is playing in 3rd-person still a wonky mess? (like Oblivion)

Jeff Chen

Banned
Two questions:

1) NOOOoooo! Get a new PC then get the PC version!
2) Sorta (though it has been improved already...) I still prefer first person view, always.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Ha! I read that last night! Hilarious book.

...FUUUUUUUCK me. I just played for almost 2 hours and didn't get anything done. I was doing a misc. quest in the lost valley of redoubt. BEAUTIFUL zone btw. But holy hell the enemies there will fuck your shit up. Took me a while to find. I took the wrong road and ended up way east of where I needed to be. Had to follow the river to where I was supposed to go.
Though the end of the book mentions him leaving an ingredient out. But it refers to the second recipe.

In the end I got too tired and decided to break.

I really should level up my Archery skills. Is there someone somewhere I can pay to give me the quick levels? -.-

There's a guy in Riverwood who can level archery. He's the one who
asks you to give the forged letter to the woman he loves to split her up with her man.

If you don't do it for him, or do the opposite of what he asks I believe you lose the option. Like I did :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So uh... regarding the end of the main quest:

Is there... not an ending? No credits play? This is weird.
Welcome to how true open world games should end (as in, not at all).

If you want credits, there's an option in the main menu. Enjoy!

Christine

So uh... regarding the end of the main quest:

Is there... not an ending? No credits play? This is weird.

MQ is but one of many destinies that tug at the dragonborn, hoping to be fulfilled. Her quest must continue for so long as she feels necessary.

The game is over when you're done playing. The credits are on the main screen--and I'm pretty sure you can watch them immediately on installation.

Aeana

Welcome to how true open world games should end (as in, not at all).

If you want credits, there's an option in the main menu. Enjoy!

MQ is but one of many destinies that tug at the dragonborn, hoping to be fulfilled. Her quest must continue for so long as she feels necessary.

The game is over when you're done playing. The credits are on the main screen--and I'm pretty sure you can watch them immediately on installation.

I finished the main quest because I decided I was done doing everything else. So now I'm left with no closure. I realize that doesn't bother most people, but it really does bother me. :\

Oh well.

I finished the main quest because I decided I was done doing everything else. So now I'm left with no closure. I realize that doesn't bother most people, but it really does bother me. :\

Oh well.

You could always go and whirlwind sprint off of The Throat Of The World, and join your brothers in Sovngarde.

Deadstar

I was in the mages college just speaking with someone and the game just crashed. This is really frustrating. I thought the patch was supposed to fix these problems!

Mastperf

Two questions:

Yes, the 360 version is excellent. 3rd person is a lot better than before but still doesn't feel as natural as 1st person.

Chris_C

Question about bound weapons. What kind of damage do they do? I've got a few scrolls but have hesitated to use them as I haven't got a clue.

Piggus

Quick question:

I ordered the four disk soundtrack about a week after the game came out and it still hasn't shipped. >_> Has anybody else who ordered it received theirs? It was supposed to ship the week after Skyrim came out.

They are as strong as Daedric weapons without any enchantments or smithing upgrades.

That's only after putting a point into the bound weapon conjuration perk. I really enjoy using bound weapons, probably because I'm anal about capture every possible soul. There's a perk that gives all bound weapons 4 seconds of soul trap on hit. Awesome with bound bow for sniping souls :)

GhaleonEB

Quick question:

I ordered the four disk soundtrack about a week after the game came out and it still hasn't shipped. >_> Has anybody else who ordered it received theirs? It was supposed to ship the week after Skyrim came out.

I ordered mine when it was available for pre-order, a few weeks before Skyrim came out. It arrived this week. Jeremy Soule is signing all of them shipped until just before Christmas, and shipping seems to take a while.

Had a neat moment in a random cave (
Snapleg Cave, in the way up the mountains to the northwest of Riften, which I'd found but not cleared before.
) just now. It's a small-ish cave, with several main chambers and some great loot. Near the end, I find the witches that live there and their Hagraven master have a Spriggen in a cage. I clear them out, and then unlock the cage, fully expecting the Spriggen to attack me. Which would make no sense since I just saved it and all

It doesn't - it just heads for the door. I open a gate, grab some final loot and we leave the cave together and go our separate ways. Very nice touch, gave me a warm fuzzy feeling to finish the day with.

Finished Hail Sithis! tonight. It was gud. I'd say more but I'm supposed to be in bed an hour ago.

This game.

IJoel

I'm considering getting the OST for this game, and noticed some here have ordered it and received it already. Is directsong a reputable online retailer?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
With my thief character, I've been pickpocketting/stealing sweet rolls and reverse pickpocketting them in the guard pockets.

I have planted the seeds of revolution.

Christine

If you hotkey a 1H weapon, you can hit the hotkey immediately after casting Bound Sword to "summon" your weapon--it will appear floating horizontally, using the spell's weapon ready animation. It's a showy waste of mana, but it makes me feel badass to summon up
Mace of Molag Bal
or similar.

With my thief character, I've been pickpocketting/stealing sweet rolls and reverse pickpocketting them in the guard pockets.

I have planted the seeds of revolution.

I'm doing something similar, but I'm actually hoarding tons of sweet rolls and then dumping them all one by one in Breezehome. Should be sweet.

Top Bottom