• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

gblues

Banned
I'm finally high enough level that I can take normal dragons and blood dragons without too much problem. I love dragon hunting with my horse
Shadowmere
because the damn horse hates dragons with a passion, and apparently the feeling is mutual because once my horse aggros the dragon, the dragon completely ignores me.
And since Shadowmere can't be killed, he makes the perfect bait! Muahaha! I am Sithis incarnate for you dragon motherfuckers!

Midou

I'm finally high enough level that I can take normal dragons and blood dragons without too much problem. I love dragon hunting with my horse
Shadowmere
because the damn horse hates dragons with a passion, and apparently the feeling is mutual because once my horse aggros the dragon, the dragon completely ignores me.
And since Shadowmere can't be killed, he makes the perfect bait! Muahaha! I am Sithis incarnate for you dragon motherfuckers!

Actually
Shadowmere can be killed, he just regenerates like crazy, I had to hit him with all I had to kill him

ss_lemonade

I thought they fixed the level scaling crap with skyrim? I find it ridiculous when I can take down 2 or 3 dragons in a row, heal myself back to full health, gear up and find a group of bandits in some abandoned ruin later that can kill me with just 1 fucking arrow to the shoulder. I mean seriously, why need a dragonborn when he can be killed with just 1 measly arrow?

Mudo

Reading the comments on this page make me a bit sad - I have played about 40 hours and am level 33 right now. The game is really fun but already too easy. I am playing on Adept difficulty but I guess at this point I'm going to move it up. I am doing Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy all to some degree and can already tell that it's making me too overpowered. My main skills are Sneak and Archery...

So I am thinking about starting over, and not taking a single point in any of those 3 crafting lines. Has anyone done this, and if so, your thoughts on whether this will make the long haul of the game challenging? I love the game so much, I don't want it to become dull because I'm a GOD~

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I thought they fixed the level scaling crap with skyrim? I find it ridiculous when I can take down 2 or 3 dragons in a row, heal myself back to full health, gear up and find a group of bandits in some abandoned ruin later that can kill me with just 1 fucking arrow to the shoulder. I mean seriously, why need a dragonborn when he can be killed with just 1 measly arrow?

I can understand the idea of scaling. What I don't understand is having it apply to certain enemies but not others.

GaimeGuy

Reading the comments on this page make me a bit sad - I have played about 40 hours and am level 33 right now. The game is really fun but already too easy. I am playing on Adept difficulty but I guess at this point I'm going to move it up. I am doing Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy all to some degree and can already tell that it's making me too overpowered. My main skills are Sneak and Archery...

So I am thinking about starting over, and not taking a single point in any of those 3 crafting lines. Has anyone done this, and if so, your thoughts on whether this will make the long haul of the game challenging? I love the game so much, I don't want it to become dull because I'm a GOD~

I haven't even really delved too much into enchanting, smithing, and alchemy perks to be honest. My main tree has also been sneaking (playing a mage/thief). Level 19 but have 9 perks unused.

It definitely makes a difference. See my above post about the companions quest

moop1167

Anyone else get stuck on these Thieve's Guild quests because of a bug? I can't advance. I finished talking to Brynjolf and he told me to meet with Maven because she wants to talk to me, but she doesn't have any dialogue options related to a quest and won't give me anything.

Mik2121

Do you guys know what are the best places to kill..

- An Orc
- A Falmer
- A Dark Elf
- A Wood Elf
- A High Elf

... that doesn't involve killing NPCs related to quests or shops? It's for a quest I have to complete (that I jumped onto accidentally.. and it's pretty damn awesome).

- An Orc
- A Falmer
- A Dark Elf
- A Wood Elf
- A High Elf

... that doesn't involve killing NPCs related to quests or shops? It's for a quest I have to complete (that I jumped onto accidentally.. and it's pretty damn awesome).

I know that one. If you found Pinewatch go there and clear shit out + find a dwarven ruin for the falmer.

Arjen

- An Orc
- A Falmer
- A Dark Elf
- A Wood Elf
- A High Elf

You can find Falmers a lot in Dwemer ruins.
I got the rest fairly quikly just by raiding some random forts and caves.

Double D

Shadowmere

First horse I got. Thought he was invincible. A fall from a mountain proved otherwise.

AEREC

Started the Mage College questline, which I was not planning on doing before since Im a Nord warrior, and I think it's kind of dumb you can become the head of every faction in Skyrim (just like Oblivion before it)...but I kind of had too since the main quest forces you to become part of the College and some other quests in my log requires you to go places only accessible through the Mage quests.

But so far I have to say it feels a lot more interesting than the Companions questline so far.

ckohler

I tinkered around last night with enchanting but found that even at level 50ish, it seemed pointless. Once I get to Enchanting level 100 I'll try again but for now, the stuff I make enchanting is pretty weak.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
For a change of pace, I decided to switch from my Nord warrior to a Wood Elf thief character, and I have to say the game is alot more enjoyable. A lot less boring hack and slash combat to deal with. I love sneaking in the shadows and sniping foes in the shadows, much more satisfying.

GaimeGuy

For a change of pace, I decided to switch from my Nord warrior to a Wood Elf thief character, and I have to say the game is alot more enjoyable. A lot less boring hack and slash combat to deal with. I love sneaking in the shadows and sniping foes in the shadows, much more satisfying.

so you restarted the game? o_O

Started the Mage College questline, which I was not planning on doing before since Im a Nord warrior, and I think it's kind of dumb you can become the head of every faction in Skyrim (just like Oblivion before it)...but I kind of had too since the main quest forces you to become part of the College and some other quests in my log requires you to go places only accessible through the Mage quests.

But so far I have to say it feels a lot more interesting than the Companions questline so far.

Not to mention the way it all happens is lame.
killing off important faction members to make room for you to be the leader

Aurora

if you're a stealth character why are you letting yourself be seen? :)

Put some perks into your stealth rating, snipe and retreat if you have to.

You know the windhelm companion quest where you have to invade a giant camp? I took out the mammosks and giant on the outside of the camp with nothing but iron/steel equipment at like level 15 by hitting them with bow sneak attacks and retreating. Was able to do the same hting with the giant inside the cave although it required someclever maneuvering and non-sneak attacks/retreating from the cave... and a few attack dodges.

felt like a badass hiding against a cliff while two mammosks and a giant were walking right above me on the cliff edge looking for me, hearing the footsteps and seeing the ground shake from the mammoths, knowing htat if I was spotted, I was dead. :)

The only perks I had enabled PERIOD on my character were the +20% sneak perk and the bows do 3x damage on sneak attack perk. And I took out two mammoths and two giants. With iron and steel equipment. no potions or anything.

Ifthere's a group of enemies you're fighting, try to fire off an arrow to catch their attention, and only one of their attentions. Then you can lure it away from the group and take it out, and rinse and repeat.

Yeah it'll require lots of reloading, but you can do it
Yeah, that's exactly how I play my character. I have all available Sneak and Archery perks for my level, I've invested in Light Armor and One-handed, and I have good equipment with boosted Ebony weapons. Yet these enemies I was facing were still able to insta-kill me with executions if I had anything below 60% health.

This doesn't affect me most of the time because I am able to pick enemies off undetected, but this particular incident was in a super confined dungeon with about 7 of these guys all able to perform executions. No idea what the rationale was behind it, they trigger off randomly so it was just a case of reloading over and over again until one chose not to do any executions. Very lame.

krioto

Yep - comments like this amuse me - oh no - I've broken the game by exploiting a bug related to enchanting/smithing/alchemy - start over FFS - the game is far better when you don't exploit it's stacked weaknesses.

I'm level 49 - no smithing/enchanting/alchemy by choice as I discovered they make you completely overpowered. Full conjuration/destruction mage - i have no armour.

GhaleonEB

My understanding is executions don't do extra damage, but rather trigger on the last blow of a kill.

I ran into an enemy last night that could one-hit me when I had full health. Which he did three times because I got cocky. This was after one and two-shotting every other enemy in the camp without being touched (mostly from sneak). Then the chief pops out and nails me on one slo-mo blow.

I've found the game to be like that lately, where I can plow through scores of guys and a handful of super powerful enemies can wipe me off the face of the planet in a single blow. The only solution I've found is to take Mr. Miyagi's advice and not get hit.

Enco

I fucking hate the stupid Belethor voice.

Couldn't that jackass have tried using a different voice? So many people sound exactly the same. If the voice wasn't so distinct it would be fine but damn!

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I kept my old character saves, and started a new save with my thief, which I play whenever I get bored with my warrior.

I like to play with multiple characters also. I'm playing right now with a Nord 2h warrior that uses no magic or enchanting at all. Soon I'm going to make a destruction mage and/or a conjuration mage and a theif assassin.

I find these games much more enjoyable playing as specific roles and only doing quest lines that make sense rather then jack-of-all-trades guy who does every single quest.

Anteater

I've started a new shield/axe(or sword/mace, not sure yet), dudebro character and taking up some conjuration/alteration spells, since I don't know what many of those spells do, anyone have any suggestions on spells/perks? Should I start the mages college quests as soon as possible?

I think I will leave smithing for later this time and roll with the loot from quests/chests.

bengraven

I fucking hate the stupid Belethor voice.

Couldn't that jackass have tried using a different voice? So many people sound exactly the same. If the voice wasn't so distinct it would be fine but damn!

He sounds exactly like

barry-weiss-storage-wars.jpg

Every time I walk into the pawn shop...

GreekWolf

Adept difficulty is waaaaaay too easy for anyone with even moderate skills. Beth has neutered the difficulty settings, with the influx of new/mainstream gamers in mind. It's by far the easiest Elder Scrolls title in the series.

I've tried a mix of everything, and found Expert level to be the absolute perfect sweet spot. It's essentially Morrowind on normal difficulty (default sliders). You'll still one-shot many baddies, but dragons and boss monsters provide an adequate challenge, without ever feeling frustrated.

Arjen

I agree on it being to easy, i've been playing on Master since level 38 or something, i still kill giants with 2 arrows, draught deathlord can one shot me with an arrow, but they're usually dead before they can reach for their bow.
Still having a lot of fun though, but i wish it was a bit more challenging some time.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I find these games much more enjoyable playing as specific roles and only doing quest lines that make sense rather then jack-of-all-trades guy who does every single quest.

Exactly. My musclebound Nord is only a member of the Companions and the Imperial Legion. He's not gonna join some sissy Thieves Guild or egg head Magic college.

Adept difficulty is waaaaaay too easy for anyone with even moderate skills. Beth has neutered the difficulty settings, with the influx of new/mainstream gamers in mind. It's by far the easiest Elder Scrolls title in the series.

I've tried a mix of everything, and found Expert level to be the absolute perfect sweet spot. It's essentially Morrowind on normal difficulty (default sliders). You'll still one-shot many baddies, but dragons and boss monsters provide an adequate challenge, without ever feeling frustrated.

The easiest? This game is a lot harder than Oblivion. If you're not careful on the early levels, you will get slaughtered.

A lecturer at my University clearly takes Skyrim very seriously.

Dr Christopher Carman - Jarl in Policy Change

I shit you not http://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/courses/politics/staff/carmanchristopherdr/. I had no idea that was a real title/thing :\
If I'm not mistaken, 'Jarl' is where the english word 'Earl' comes from.

GhaleonEB

I like to play with multiple characters also. I'm playing right now with a Nord 2h warrior that uses no magic or enchanting at all. Soon I'm going to make a destruction mage and/or a conjuration mage and a theif assassin.

Agree, that's the approach I'm taking as well. I'm taking my stealth character through the main quest, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the civil war from the Stormcloak perspective (and a ton of side quests).

My battle mage will do the Companions and College of Winterhold, then the main quest again and the civil war from the Imperial perspective, as well as a ton of side quests. I want some overlap because I'm interested in how the different characters play the same scenarios.

I'll probably top this character out at around 200 hours of play (about two more weeks) and then move on to my second. I'll spin up a new, 3rd character when the expansion(s) hit.
The easiest? This game is a lot harder than Oblivion. If you're not careful on the early levels, you will get slaughtered.
Agree. Though, I'm playing on the notch above Adept/normal. It's a good sweet spot of challenge. My next will be on the hardest setting.

The archery mechanic in this game is fucking broken, though. I'll have my crosshair on the head of an enemy a reasonable distance away, and the arrow will actually manage to fly OVER his head.

Dresden

The actual challenge of playing on Master comes early on when you don't have the gear or the perks to build a demi-god, imo. After a while the difficulties just kinda blend together.

And this game is more difficult than Morrowind. >.>

GhaleonEB

The archery mechanic in this game is fucking broken, though. I'll have my crosshair on the head of an enemy a reasonable distance away, and the arrow will actually manage to fly OVER his head.

I'm not fond of the arc, but I don't think it's broken; after I realized it was in, I've adjusted and rarely even think about it now. The arrow follows a predictable arc (unless we're on uneven terrain, in which case it can fly all over the damn place). I just know I need to take the arc trajectory into account when aiming. I nail 90%+ of my long distance shots by factoring it in. It's actually pretty satisfying to nail someone by leading the shot and arcing it right into their face.

I'd still rather it not be in and shots go where we expect, though.

Holy crap at Kvenel The Tongue, he always obliterates me so i let him be and come back after gaining 5 levels + smithing + armor, etc, I try again and he obliterates me just as easy, is that boss broken, keeps leveling up with me it seems :(??

I'm not fond of the arc, but I don't think it's broken; after I realized it was in, I've adjusted and rarely even think about it now. The arrow follows a predictable arc (unless we're on uneven terrain, in which case it can fly all over the damn place). I just know I need to take the arc trajectory into account when aiming. I nail 90%+ of my long distance shots by factoring it in. It's actually pretty satisfying to nail someone by leading the shot and arcing it right into their face.

That's what I feel. If they give us a visual indicator of where our shot ought to be going, but it doesn't go there, it's broken. It's not horribly broken, but still kinda broken.

By the way, do 360 players here know if the latest patch actually fixed the texture streaming issue?

GaimeGuy

I kept my old character saves, and started a new save with my thief, which I play whenever I get bored with my warrior.

What I'm asking is don't you need to start a New Game to get a new character? So basically you have two different playthroughs that you're doing simultaneously

Double D

So I've been playing on the 360 with the day 1 patch, not installed to HDD, and saving to a USB. My load times are getting atrocious. It just now dawned on me that New Vegas had an issue with loading times (installed or otherwise) when saving to the USB. I'm going to try this later tonight, but has anyone else experienced this?

nel e nel

Found a real answer to the Markarth glitch:

-Get a real bounty amount first, doesn't matter how much.
-Run to the Shrine of Talos. You can bypass the other guards by asking them to take you to jail, then dipping out of the conversation and bolting.
-Get conversation aggro'd by a guard in the Shrine of Talos. The other guards might be attacking you during this.
-Ask them to take you to jail, you'll have a new dialogue option: "..."
-Follow that dialogue tree.
-Get convo-aggro'd by them again, pay your bounty. You'll spawn in the city minus stolen goods, and the glitch is fixed. Seems like the guards themselves inside the Shrine are the ones causing it.

Tried this several times last night to no avail, just get the dialogue feedback loop. Guess I'll have to join the Stormcloaks? I can't really get with any faction because they all seem like a bunch of fascist pricks.

Too bad because I wasn't done exploring the Dwemer keep yet.

GhaleonEB

That's what I feel. If they give us a visual indicator of where our shot ought to be going, but it doesn't go there, it's broken. It's not horribly broken, but still kinda broken.

By the way, do 360 players here know if the latest patch actually fixed the texture streaming issue?

I tend to throw a hissy fit at mechanics I think are broken and avoid them like the plague, so we just use the terms differently (see: Deus Ex, Reach). It's a minor nuance to me. I really love playing an archer in Skyrim, it's been incredibly satisfying in ways Oblivion never dreamed of. I kinda like the idea of an arc to learn (so there's a touch more to archery than "point here and shoot"), but it's not communicated well in game or otherwise.

mrplaid

I know people are probably sick of "Skyrim Moments/Radiant AI Stories", but I feel the need to share my account of a funny bug I encountered (ever so slight Dark Brotherhood and Morthal spoilers):

In Morthal, you can undertake a quest to go kill a master vampire at its lair just outside of town. A couple of townspeople decide to join you, but they all end up hanging around the entrance instead of following you inside except for one of them (I think they're supposed to chicken out and walk back to town, but something happened that didn't cause that to trigger so they all just ended up standing in front of the entrance doing nothing).
One of the townsfolk that followed me to the lair was a bard that I was contracted by the Dark Brotherhood to assassinate. The bard, along with a few of the other townsfolk, stood stupidly around the entrance while I completed the quest. When I emerged from the vampire's lair they were all still just standing there and I was unable to interact with them. I was hoping the bard I would wander back to the inn eventually so I could kill him later, but on my way back to town a message popped up saying that the DB quest was complete.
I wandered back over to the entrance to the vampire's lair and found two dead frostbite spiders along with the dead bard and the rest of the townsfolk that followed me over. Apparently a group of randomly spawned enemies went aggro on them and took care of my contract for me. I should have resurrected those spiders and kept them as pets. :p

I know people are probably sick of "Skyrim Moments/Radiant AI Stories", but I feel the need to share my account of a funny bug I encountered (ever so slight Dark Brotherhood and Morthal spoilers):

In Morthal, you can undertake a quest to go kill a master vampire at its lair just outside of town. A couple of townspeople decide to join you, but they all end up hanging around the entrance instead of following you inside except for one of them (I think they're supposed to chicken out and walk back to town, but something happened that didn't cause that to trigger so they all just ended up standing in front of the entrance doing nothing).
One of the townsfolk that followed me to the lair was a bard that I was contracted by the Dark Brotherhood to assassinate. The bard, along with a few of the other townsfolk, stood stupidly around the entrance while I completed the quest. When I emerged from the vampire's lair they were all still just standing there and I was unable to interact with them. I was hoping the bard I would wander back to the inn eventually so I could kill him later, but on my way back to town a message popped up saying that the DB quest was complete.
I wandered back over to the entrance to the vampire's lair and found two dead frostbite spiders along with the dead bard and the rest of the townsfolk that followed me over. Apparently a group of randomly spawned enemies went aggro on them and took care of my contract for me. I should have resurrected those spiders and kept them as pets. :p
We're not sick of 'em at all.

nel e nel

I understand the sentiment behind this, but if they do away with the arc (which is a thing you have to consider in real life BTW) then they should do away with stamina, magicka, sleep and weight burden as well.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Archery is much better when you turn off the crosshair. I love archery in this game.

I understand the sentiment behind this, but if they do away with the arc (which is a thing you have to consider in real life BTW) then they should do away with stamina, magicka, sleep and weight burden as well.

Why? Those are features that have a purpose, imo. That arc is just odd in relation to the crosshair, you know, the thing you aim with.

I'm just annoyed by it because I'm still used to Oblivion's archery. Arrows tended to go where you pointed them and would keep flying lower until they hit the ground. In Skyrim, they want to get as close to the sky first.

nel e nel

I've started a new shield/axe(or sword/mace, not sure yet), dudebro character and taking up some conjuration/alteration spells, since I don't know what many of those spells do, anyone have any suggestions on spells/perks? Should I start the mages college quests as soon as possible?

I think I will leave smithing for later this time and roll with the loot from quests/chests.

Conjuration spells are pretty sick. Get any and all of the Atronach spells you can find. Been playing with a flame Atronach and it's badass. You can also conjure a familiar that will fight for you, and I just did a quest where the lady I was fighting with was summoning zombies.

Top Bottom