• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Just had an Ancient Dragon attack Falkreath. On Master Difficulty (I always switch from Expert to Master when dragons show up). The thing killed five named NPC's, including the owner of the sawmill, the barmaid and the town smith. Me and at least twelve city guards then proceeded to relentlessly wail on the helpless dragon 'til I whacked it a couple of times on the head with Affliction and it died. While on the one hand, it felt kind of fitting having so many people dead in a city built around a graveyard, on the other hand I felt like I wanted to try again.

So I reload, and this time, I lure the dragon outside of town. Three or four guards follow me. Two are on top of the city wall, shooting arrows at it from afar. Me and the other two guards keep hacking at it, me using Dragonrend every time it tries to fly off. When it dies and I absorb its soul, all the town guards and a few of the NPCs that died last time around come pouring through the gate to gawk at the dead dragon.

I felt like a boss.

Dyno

Self-quote because my post was the last of the page. Thanks!

I just got 100 Smithing and 100 Enchantment. I am about to make my definitive armour set and I have some questions for you kind folk.

Double Enchantment - I bought it. Are two enchantments on the same item at the same power level as just a single enchantment? Do I need to use two soul gems?

Enchantment Stacking - If I start giving the same enchantment to different pieces of armour, do they stack? In the Active Effects list I see two entries if I'm wearing two items with the same enchantment but the name of the second item doesn't come up. Instead the first item is listed twice. Is that just a glitch and the Active Effects are counting on my character like I want them to?

KorrZ

I just got 100 Smithing and 100 Enchantment. I am about to make my definitive armour set and I have some questions for you kind folk.

Double Enchantment - I bought it. Are two enchantments on the same item at the same power level as just a single enchantment? Do I need to use two soul gems?

Enchantment Stacking - If I start giving the same enchantment to different pieces of armour, do they stack? In the Active Effects list I see two entries if I'm wearing two items with the same enchantment but the name of the second item doesn't come up. Instead the first item is listed twice. Is that just a glitch and the Active Effects are counting on my character like I want them to?

Yes dual enchantments are the same power level as a single enchant, you only need one soul gem to enchant them.

Your enchants definitely do stack. If you have 4 items enchanted with "Fortify One-Handed" you should see that listed 4 times in your active effects. If it's not showing up like that it's probably just a UI glitch, the effects should still stack on your character.

You use one soul gem per piece of armour, and both enchantments are fully powered, it doesn't 'dilute' or anything. Just make sure to you grand souls obviously.

And enchantments do stack, no matter what it says. This is how people create enchantments to make certain spells cost nothing to cast, you add the cost reduction 25% to 4 different things.

Dyno

Thanks for your help. Tonight I shall smith a Great Work. First there will be a builder's suit that will Fortify Blacksmithing and then on to a Daedric suit of unspeakable power.

Mwuhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Dyno

I'll pass on a little email convo I had with a friend this afternoon...

Friend - I wrapped up the main quest in Skyrim last night. It was satisfying. But I am absolutely shit angry with myself for misplacing one of the dragon lord masks somewhere in the wasteland. I've got 7, and there seems no way to go back and find the 8th without replaying the game. There is no earlier save option worth discussing.

Huzzah.

Me - Nice man! Congratulations and well done! That said your mask situation is a fuck up of mammoth proportions and you only have yourself to blame. What? You wanted a pep talk or perhaps some consolation? Not from me numb-nuts. I can't wait to find the eight masks and bask in the glory thereafter. I talk to my masks everyday so that I know I haven't lost them. I'm even nice to the wood one because I know it's day will come. Then again, I'm a father, I've learned how to be responsible for my young. You, I don't know what you are but it disgusts me.

Your like Britney

Wearing lots of smithing perk clothing, and drinking smithing potions and smithing level of 100 = Badass weapons and armour ahoy.

Q: never bothered with a sidekick before, but willing to give it a go now. If I get better armour and weapons to a sidekick will they equip them and use them? Don't want Lydia hacking at Deathlords with a crappy steel sword.

GhaleonEB

Three things.

My melee brawling orc is working out very well. I've decided to tweak his build, and am about to enchant his mace with absorb health; I've concluded that would be much better use now, when I am lower level and constantly chugging potions, than later. I'll add the elemental damage as the secondary effect, down the road. His daily power (2x damage output, 1/2 damage taken reduction) is fantastic and the perfect cure for those difficult dungeon bosses. I went toe to toe with a Draugr Death Overlord in Soljund's Sinkhole - the one I couldn't kill with my last melee character, resulting in a lengthy rant by me in the thread. I tossed that on, cast my flame atronoch, and went toe to toe with him for about two straight minutes. Very intense, very challenging, richly satisfying to drop him.

The radiant story telling system is pretty neat to see in action on multiple characters, as quests I thought were fixed end up leading me to all sorts of different places. I just scooped up Meridian's Beacon at Sundered Towers, home of the Red Eagle quest. Great location, very fun place to brawl through, and a nice little quest coda to finish it.

Which brings me to thing three. I am still just gobsmacked at how effective the draw distance is in this game. It's a nice clear day, and from the cliffside to the north east of Rebel's Cairn, you can see Solitude perched on its arch quite clearly from like, across the freaking world map. It looks like a beautiful painting. Just wow. The views in this game continue to amaze.

Volimar

Wearing lots of smithing perk clothing, and drinking smithing potions and smithing level of 100 = Badass weapons and armour ahoy.

Q: never bothered with a sidekick before, but willing to give it a go now. If I get better armour and weapons to a sidekick will they equip them and use them? Don't want Lydia hacking at Deathlords with a crappy steel sword.

They will use the best equipment you give them.

Well, my third soundtrack arrived to day, neatly packaged in cardboard and wrapped twice in bubble paper. Cost me a bit more, but this is how they should've sent it internationally in the first place.

And now I can make back the cost by selling the other two OSTs for a minimal price. :lol

The CE's also slowly looking to dip in price over here: it's €130 now. I'm gonna wait and see if it drops to below €100 levels before buying. If it doesn't, ah well.

GhaleonEB

That's suprising!

I usually stay focused on the main story but if it's that short i will go exploring.
The main quest is basically a highlight tour for what the rest of the game has to offer. It's got some great fights, dungeons and locations, and gives you some great abilities (shouts tied to the main quest) as a draw. But you'll only see a small fraction of the game world and content if you just stick to it.

Yup, I was so glad this was the case.

I got the Platinum for Skyrim on the PS3 not so long ago now, and haven't picked it up since. Reading this thread though makes me want to play again, although i did want to hold out until news of DLC came out.

Are there any indications of when we'll see any?

I've played through it twice now, 400+ hours between them (the joys of unemployment!) and it took me until later on in my second play through to realise that holding the Shout button made it stronger (dependant on you having more than one word). It feels like i missed out on loads haha.

After more than a week's hiatus from Skyrim, I got to spend a couple of hours back in game last night. After clearing out a couple of Forsaken strongholds (hate those guys. Loot is awful!) I headed back to town to clear out some inventory, then made my way back to Labyrinthian. I've only visited the place as part of the Mage College quest, so I had to go back to explore the other areas. I just got there when it was time to call it a night, but hoping to explore further tonight.

In the loading screen hints it occasionally says that merchant caravans will pass through Labyrinthian. Anyone ever seen traders in the area? The few times I've passed through, it has been nothing but Ice Trolls.

Andrew.

Banned
So last night i got the
"something's razor"
I currently have a burning glass dagger with the backstab 15x perk....is the daedric weapon's perk even worth my time....or should i stick with my tried and true glass fire dagger?

Level 50. Oh yeah.

Tried experimenting with taking a sidekick with me (Lydia) . Pointless. They get lost as I go clambering over mountains, are hopeless at fighting, and offer nothing to the experience. "oh look, a cave. Wonder what's inside it". Fascinating insight.

Back to being a lone wolf.

Effect

Was the companion setup this bad in Fallout 3? I don't remember. It was great in Fallout: New Vegas but Bethesda didn't make that game. I went solo in FO3 so dont' recall how it was. As for Skyrim I've been kicking around with Mjoll once I read up that she was labeled an essential npc and thus can't die. She's helped out in some of the bigger fights. She however won't shut up. Sometimes she and Lydia would climb certain areas others they don't move at all. Ugh. If I know I have to go someplace like that requires me to climb over areas to get to it I'll just leave them behind still I can fast travel there. Then go back and get one of them.

Dyno

That's suprising!

I usually stay focused on the main story but if it's that short i will go exploring.

Let me give you an example of what happens in Skyrim:

I was doing the Thieves' Guild quest line and it sent me to a far-off city to talk to a wizard. Before the wizard would help me I needed to solve a problem for him in a nearby cave. I did that easy enough but found a door in the cave that lead to a massive underground structure. Ancient metal was found all over this place, great stuff for my smithing, but I soon became encumbered. I decided then that getting a home in the city would allow me to dump this good stuff and get back inside exploring quickly, so I went to visit the local Jarl. I was told in court that if I took care of a bandit lord then they might find a place for me and so off I went to deal with that. While travelling cross country I came to a dark mountain and suddenly was struck by the awful shrieks to two dragons. And that is when I discovered why the god Talos had brought me to this place...

Son, you are Dovakiin, the Dragon Born. Your life is the game's main quest.

Dyno

Was the companion setup this bad in Fallout 3? I don't remember. It was great in Fallout: New Vegas but Bethesda didn't make that game. I went solo in FO3 so dont' recall how it was. As for Skyrim I've been kicking around with Mjoll once I read up that she was labeled an essential npc and thus can't die. She's helped out in some of the bigger fights. She however won't shut up. Sometimes she and Lydia would climb certain areas others they don't move at all. Ugh. If I know I have to go someplace like that requires me to climb over areas to get to it I'll just leave them behind still I can fast travel there. Then go back and get one of them.

The big difference is that in Fallout you were using ranged attacks and VATS a lot. Your companion didn't get in the way because he probably wasn't charging into melee while you were going a power attack. Also the terrain wasn't nearly as mountainous. Skyrim is just a tougher place for a dumb AI to get by in.

GhaleonEB

So Rudo has entered the second phase of his questing now. Phase 1 was doing low level bounties and starting up the quest lines he's going to work on (Civil War, Main Quest, Companions, Daedric, Bard's) while I saved for a house and got my skillset to the point where I could survive out in the wild without frequent deaths.

Just hit level 26, bought the house in Solitude as my abode and am about to dive deeper into Companions, Civil war and the main quest. I'd already decided that the spare room downstairs was going to be my Thalmor trophy room: every Thalmor I kill, I'm going to strip their main armor and then lay them out in that room as my 'scalps'.

Just now, while heading for Civil War target, I get attacked by three Thalmor. I take them down - barely - and find a note on the leader that I've been targeted for termination by the Thalmor. Which is pretty neat - I hadn't seen that before. Looks like my collection is off to an early start.

The big difference is that in Fallout you were using ranged attacks and VATS a lot. Your companion didn't get in the way because he probably wasn't charging into melee while you were going a power attack. Also the terrain wasn't nearly as mountainous. Skyrim is just a tougher place for a dumb AI to get by in.

It's annoying enough outside, but when you go into a dungeon with narrow passageways and traps everywhere it's a wonder NPCs manage to live as long as they do.

Overdoziz

Banned
Which brings me to thing three. I am still just gobsmacked at how effective the draw distance is in this game. It's a nice clear day, and from the cliffside to the north east of Rebel's Cairn, you can see Solitude perched on its arch quite clearly from like, across the freaking world map. It looks like a beautiful painting. Just wow. The views in this game continue to amaze.
4834-1-1326753476.jpg

The draw distance is nice, but beyond 50 meters the game looks atrocious. It stands out a lot and bugs me every time I look into the distance.

GhaleonEB

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/images/4834-1-1326753476.jpg
The draw distance is nice, but beyond 50 meters the game looks atrocious. It stands out a lot and bugs me every time I look into the distance.

Eh. When I first saw this post, I thought you were pointing out how good it looks. Then I scrolled down. :lol

Aside from the jagged edges on the water, that shot looks great. I've never noticed the water looking quite that bad in my game. A lot of the views that are so remarkable are from mountain or cliff sides, which don't present the LOD gaps you are highlighting. And jagged water aside, I still love that shot. There's more to visuals than clean water lines.

But that's sort of the story of this game: there are rough edges all over, but the big picture is pretty incredible, and that applies to the visuals. I just now got back to working Meridia' Shrine, and when we
flew into the air the view is absolutely spectacular. Even better, the dragon that was circling above me is now circling down below. Which is pretty amusing to watch.

cory021

Neo Member
Just had an Ancient Dragon attack Falkreath. On Master Difficulty (I always switch from Expert to Master when dragons show up)
Ha, I used to do this before my Nord got too powerful. Expert seemed like the sweet spot for everything except dragons. Now, with Daedric Armor and Level 100 One-handed, Blocking, and Heavy Armor, even Master difficulty is pretty easy.

Dyno

Ha, I used to do this before my Nord got too powerful. Expert seemed like the sweet spot for everything except dragons. Now, with Daedric Armor and Level 100 One-handed, Blocking, and Heavy Armor, even Master difficulty is pretty easy.

Could be time to finish up the main, put an arrow in your character's knee, and try out a new build.

NBtoaster

It always annoyed me how many useless iron ore deposits there were around, but I completely forgot about the transmute spell. Been missing out on so much profit!

Volimar

It always annoyed me how many useless iron ore deposits there were around, but I completely forgot about the transmute spell. Been missing out on so much profit!

Love transmuting! Make jewelry, enchant jewelry, sell jewelry to wizard npc in Whiterun, buy more soul gems, profit!

the_id

Have been playing for 150 hours now on my ps3 and these slow downs are getting worse. It's up to the point now where nausea starts to kick in. I'm still hoping the next patch will help with these issues.

Overdoziz

Banned
Eh. When I first saw this post, I thought you were pointing out how good it looks. Then I scrolled down. :lol

Aside from the jagged edges on the water, that shot looks great. I've never noticed the water looking quite that bad in my game. A lot of the views that are so remarkable are from mountain or cliff sides, which don't present the LOD gaps you are highlighting. And jagged water aside, I still love that shot. There's more to visuals than clean water lines.

But that's sort of the story of this game: there are rough edges all over, but the big picture is pretty incredible, and that applies to the visuals. I just now got back to working Meridia' Shrine, and when we
flew into the air the view is absolutely spectacular. Even better, the dragon that was circling above me is now circling down below. Which is pretty amusing to watch.

The biggest problem is in between the area close to you and the mountains in the background. It's pretty noticeable on open planes or when standing on a cliff edge. Textures looks really low-res while the objects are still fairly high detail which results in a weird looking picture. Also, the jagged waters looks really terrible. There's a PC mod that fixed that but sadly I only play the 360 version.

Is it just me or is the reward for finding all of Shalidors books literary the most underwhelming reward in all of videogaming? Also, the large green statue you encounter towards the end of the thieves guild quests reminds me of Yogurt's statue from Spaceballs.

Volimar

Is it just me or is the reward for finding all of Shalidors books literary the most underwhelming reward in all of videogaming? Also, the large green statue you encounter towards the end of the thieves guild quests reminds me of Yogurt's statue from Spaceballs.

I found Gaulder's amulet to be pretty lackluster....

Yeah... same thing with the white phial. Although maybe its my fault for tackling those quests at level 40. Shame the attributes if quest items like that don't scale.

By the way, I named one of my previously enchanted items after you, in honor of the thread where you got robbed by Wario. :lol Spent a while running around with 'The Wise Old Man's Helm'.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So last night i got the
"something's razor"
I currently have a burning glass dagger with the backstab 15x perk....is the daedric weapon's perk even worth my time....or should i stick with my tried and true glass fire dagger?

You can one shot anything with it if you're lucky. Dragons included.

I've actually found most of the loot to be underwhelming. I feel like I have decent gear, but that I had so much better stuff, especially at this point of the game, in Oblivion.

On that note, what is the best one-handed sword that anyone has found? I've been using Dawnstar and Chillrend for a long time now and I'd love to get an upgrade.

I finished off Labryrinthian last night, but found I'm two dragon masks shy of a full collection. That will give me something to do for the next few play sessions. :)

Seanspeed

Banned

Not me. I'm still using it.

I guess I find loot like this nice because I hardly use enchanting. Sounds like being powerful at enchanting really breaks the game.

I dont really smith, either, for the same reason.

GhaleonEB

Not me. I'm still using it.

I guess I find loot like this nice because I hardly use enchanting. Sounds like being powerful at enchanting really breaks the game.

I dont really smith, either, for the same reason.

I've found that smithing and enchanting don't break the game at all, though I'm playing on Master difficulty so that probably helps offset. So long as you don't use exploits to boost them, but just follow the normal perks and improvements, I've found the balance to be fine.

It does make most of the found loot worthless, though, since my smithed stuff is always better. Currently at level 27, I have smithing and enchanting in the mid-50's and am still having protracted fights with bosses and even middling Stormcloaks take a good 6-8 whacks with my nasty orcish flaming mace of doom. I can one-hit the lowest level bandits and wolves, but snowy saber cats and many bosses take a long time, and generally kill in 2-3 hits at the most. All in all it feels about right. (I think Master without smithing and enchanting would be far too punishing.)

I find with enchanting that you need to spend a lot of perks to get much out of it. I'm mid 50's in enchanting, and my enchanted stuff is pretty ineffective compared to the stuff I find. I'm hoping to start buffing that up now that I finally got some of the sneak and archery perks I've been trying to get.

Early in the game I tried to really pump smithing up, but I neglected my combat stats and got worked pretty badly. My character may just be spread too thin in general though (Archery, One handed DW track, Illusion, light armor, sneak, smithing, enchantment, a few points tossed into alchemy too.)
Speaking of weird rewards, it seems like the initial reward for joining the Dark brotherhood is one of the most powerful items in the game for a stealth character. WTF at that one.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
As with Oblivion and Morrowind before it, my 1-character-do-it-all run is finished after some 130 odd hours. I think I'm done with Skyrim until the first DLC expansion comes around now..

iqqxa0ToqeEFK.jpg
iEEAjNvsXRHj9.jpg

ibyFdhWA2RXXlg.jpg
ib1NnscClij8Ay.jpg

(every skill is 100'd)

:D

Top Bottom