• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

SlickVic

Think I ran into a glitch at the end of the Mage's college quest line.
I'm guessing Ancano is supposed to die at the end of the fight? Well after I defeated him, he just got up again and ran away. Quest completed and everything so I'm assuming it's not game breaking, just would be funny to run into him again somewhere in Skyrim.

Dyno

Not me. I'm still using it.

I guess I find loot like this nice because I hardly use enchanting. Sounds like being powerful at enchanting really breaks the game.

I dont really smith, either, for the same reason.

I've been keeping my smithing and enchanting in line with my destruction and it's kept me competative with the challenges. Now that all three skills have hit 100 and I've made my ultimate suit I'll let you know if I've broken the game.

I'm getting keen to start a new character that uses all of the perks that I avoided with my first character. Melee weapons, shields, bows, speech, lockpick, light armour.

Maybe tonight!

clashfan

I kind of wish weapons would break or wear away just to make loots more important. If you find a good weapon early, you almost don't need to find anymore weapons.

Helmholtz

Finished the main quest, I have around 70 hours played now. I thought it was a pretty good quest line, definitely better than Oblivion's which I couldn't finish out of boredom. It didn't seem as short as a lot of people seem to say it is, I though it was a good length, especially considering the massive amount of other worthwhile content in the game.
I've only run into one major glitch so far, (thieves guild spoiler)
Karliah not showing up at the end of the final thieves guild quest when I chose my power. I had to spawn her using console. If I werent on PC I would have been seriously pissed.

GhaleonEB

I think Forbidden Legend is broken for Rudo.

I'm in Folgunthur, and have now killed the big bad in there three times in a row. On all three occasions, he dies and I'm not able to select him to loot the body for the amulet fragment. I've tried taking him down before his thralls, after, and a third fight for good measure. I can use Unrelenting Force to toss his body around, but it's as if his body is not there otherwise.

Aside from the big arrow pointing to him telling me to find the fragment. What the fuck. :\

Think I ran into a glitch at the end of the Mage's college quest line.
I'm guessing Ancano is supposed to die at the end of the fight? Well after I defeated him, he just got up again and ran away. Quest completed and everything so I'm assuming it's not game breaking, just would be funny to run into him again somewhere in Skyrim.

It's not enough to just run into him after that, you have to hunt him down, start recording, and FUS RO DAH him off the highest of cliffs. A proper send-out.

I think Forbidden Legend is broken for Rudo.

I'm in Folgunthur, and have now killed the big bad in there three times in a row. On all three occasions, he dies and I'm not able to select him to loot the body for the amulet fragment. I've tried taking him down before his thralls, after, and a third fight for good measure. I can use Unrelenting Force to toss his body around, but it's as if his body is not there otherwise.

Aside from the big arrow pointing to him telling me to find the fragment. What the fuck. :\

Tried waiting hours before the fight or doing a little side mission, its helped me in the past when things have become bugged, you could pickpocket it

Heh, feel kinda bad about the end of Waking Nightmare.

Just had to murder Erandur so I could keep the Skull of Corruption. If only he listened to me when I told him maybe we shouldn't destroy it...

I mean sure it was used by a cult of mages loyal to a daedric prince to torment the dreams of probably innocent orcs, and now that no one has been using it started acting on it's own and freak out everyone in Dawnstar, but I'm sure I can use it responsibly!

Like that there was actual choice in the quest though. Too many other quests you're just sorta along for the ride once you start it.

I kind of wish weapons would break or wear away just to make loots more important. If you find a good weapon early, you almost don't need to find anymore weapons.

Having played all the former Elder Scrolls games, I actually found that I didn't miss weapon and armor degradation at all. It was always just a housekeeping chore to me, and it sucked when you were stuck in a dungeon somewhere and important piece of gear broke on you.

I also didn't find anything early on in Skyrim that i would still consider using as I now approach level 50. My gear has continued to slowly upgrade, I just wish I could find a few more epic items.

Anyone want to share a hint as to where I can find dragon armor? Preferably of the light variety?

As with Oblivion and Morrowind before it, my 1-character-do-it-all run is finished after some 130 odd hours. I think I'm done with Skyrim until the first DLC expansion comes around now..

:D
are-you-wizard.jpg

Level 81 on a console? How the F did you do that in 130 hours? It's a cinch on PC with the console and mods, but I doubt you grinded your way or used trainers.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Heh, feel kinda bad about the end of Waking Nightmare.

Just had to murder Erandur so I could keep the Skull of Corruption. If only he listened to me when I told him maybe we shouldn't destroy it...

I mean sure it was used by a cult of mages loyal to a daedric prince to torment the dreams of probably innocent orcs, and now that no one has been using it started acting on it's own and freak out everyone in Dawnstar, but I'm sure I can use it responsibly!

Like that there was actual choice in the quest though. Too many other quests you're just sorta along for the ride once you start it.
I thought I'd try to all the achievements in Skyrim, since they seemed pretty attainable, but decided against it after seeing some of the stuff you have to do in the Daedric questlines. My Argonian is a decent person, not a Dark Elf!

Infinite telekinesis may just be the greatest thing ever. I'm running around Whiterun just pulling items towards me and shooting them away again, laughing maniacally.

It's all part of being the Goddamn Dragonborn, folks.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You know things are bad when you get distracted from your goal of finishing Skyrim on Xbox 360 by Skyrim on PC due to a new patch.

Started a Khajiit. Not planning on using any magic whatsoever. Two Hand/Heavy Armor/Sneaking/Blacksmithing/Archery/Pickpocket.

Creation Kit's planned for a Tuesday release, btw. According to Beth's Facebook page, they'll also have a special announcement along with it.

I'm guessing a DLC announcement, but who knows. Maybe a hardcore mode, wouldn't that be awesome.

I was just thinking that this game really needs some slower skill progression. You can get your main skills to 100 by just doing the main quest and some sidequests, really. This was nowhere near the case in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Volimar

Creation Kit's planned for a Tuesday release, btw. According to Beth's Facebook page, they'll also have a special announcement along with it.

I'm guessing a DLC announcement, but who knows. Maybe a hardcore mode, wouldn't that be awesome.

I was just thinking that this game really needs some slower skill progression. You can get your main skills to 100 by just doing the main quest and some sidequests, really. This was nowhere near the case in Morrowind and Oblivion.

I am so ready for some quality DLC.

GhaleonEB

Would be amazing if they announced some way for some of the mods to get onto consoles. Even if it's a tiny subset hand-picked by Bethesda.

DLC news would rock my socks.

I already have my final character planned for vanilla Skyrim (the Argonian named Iggy the Booger who pickpockets everyone's clothing).

Volimar

Would be amazing if they announced some way for some of the mods to get onto consoles. Even if it's a tiny subset hand-picked by Bethesda.

DLC news would rock my socks.

I already have my final character planned for vanilla Skyrim (the Argonian named Iggy the Booger who pickpockets everyone's clothing).

I would skygasm so hard at that....

Just gotta find someone I can mooch a hard drive off of....damn 4 gb flash memory ain't cutting it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
humble bundleconsole games. I don't even think Epic would try that again.

Containment + Ancient Dragon + my poor horse in Winterhold = Sweet Jesus, lower the difficulty setting! First time I tried my horse and two villagers perished.

Edit: Anyone else get sub 1fps in the Labyrinthian Tribute Room after the soul gem proximity defense section?

GhaleonEB

There's a mod for that you know. :p

There's also a perk for it. :p

Just spent over an hour fighting a Dragon Priest in
Forsaken Cave.
Not one of the eight Dragon Priests, but still. I'm level 29, with a shield enchanted to protect from 15% magic. I chug a potion to defend from 21% frost damage. Dude's giant freaking ice spikes of doom still kill in one hit. This after a dungeon of tough draugr I dismantled without much difficulty. I had to use my atronochs as a distraction, run in and land a couple blows, then hit Become Ethereal and run away; the kicker was he'd hijack my atronoch after just a moment, then I'd have two guys on my ass.

Took an hour. But now he's dead, so at least I know it's not impossible. Time to buff up my magical resistances though, holy crap.

Question: Is there anything out there immune to absorb health? I finally got a weapon to disenchant had it (the one from the Forbidden Legend dude), and I'm debating whether to tote it and my fire mace around. If some things are immune to it, I'll keep my fire mace on hand for those.

Anybody having issues with this last update on PC? Started getting infinite load screens, leading to the road out of Solitude crashing to desktop. Tried to unload some plugins and reset my ugrids, but now the only saves that will load are my first couple saves. Every other save for the past 50 hours of gameplay crashes to desktop while loading. Now trying to get back all the way to vanilla and try to ressurrect any of these saves. Eesh.

Edit: reinstalled from scratch and trashed my ini files, seems to be working again. Thank god.

VALKYRAY

Banned
this game is full of glitches.
firt time it fucked me when i was trying to aquire clear sky shout, the guy refuse to show me the words. the auto save were fucked too so i had to reload my save wich i saved 2 days ago and replay the whole shit again.

then the game fucked me second time today. the game refuse to give me the focusing crystal. I searched all over the place and couldnt find it. I searched on youtube, apparently its on the gloomlurker falmer, you fight right before you meet the guy who request crystal from you. i striped him and he had everything but the crystal. i reloaded 2 times and the results were the same, the crystal could not be found.

since i can't advance anyforther i guess i am done with this piece of shit?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I managed to pry myself from the PC version and continue with the Xbox playthrough last night, and I'm very glad I did. Blackreach cemented this game on my list of all time favorites. I'm a suckered for good world building and environment, so finding a massive underground city was amazing. My biggest complaint with Oblivion was that Tamriel was a flat, boring landscape of Ayleid ruins and bandit towers, and I'm shocked that they were able to top the wonder I felt when I first played Morrowind.

I'm sold on Bethesda. They only took 3 months to fix a number of my PC issues too, so that's an improvement!

since i can't advance anyforther i guess i am done with this piece of shit?

Sounds like it. 3 of my questlines glitched on me (Thieves, Dark Brotherhood & Companions) so they couldn't be completed, never even bothered trying to complete the main questline and never have I been burnt quite so badly by such a hyped and anticipated release, and I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I played all the way through vanilla Morrowind on the original Xbox and even that wasn't as glitchy a experience as Skyrim on the PS3 has been.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That kind of cell modification will be day one stuff once the Creation Kit comes out. I'm also hoping for a shader that removes the screen blur when using Khajiit Night Eye, sharks/dreugh in deep water (underwater combat, where you'd move at land 'walking speed' with a weapon drawn) and ghosts (dwemer especially).

Damn, reading an old description for the Imperial City made me realize how epic Oblivion really should've been.

Refayj's famous declaration, "There is but one city in the Imperial Province,--" may strike the citizens of the Colovian west as mildly insulting, until perhaps they hear the rest of the remark, which continues, "--but one city in Tamriel, but one city in the World; that, my brothers, is the city of the Cyrodiils." From the shore it is hard to tell what is city and what is Palace, for it all rises from the islands of the lake towards the sky in a stretch of gold. Whole neighborhoods rest on the jeweled bridges that connect the islands together. Gondolas and river-ships sail along the watery avenues of its flooded lower dwellings. Moth-priests walk by in a cloud of ancestors; House Guards hold exceptionally long daikatanas crossed at intersections, adorned with ribbons and dragon-flags; and the newly arrived Western legionnaires sweat in the humid air. The river mouth is tainted red from the tinmi soil of the shore, and river dragons rust their hides in its waters. Across the lake the Imperial City continues, merging into the villages of the southern red river and ruins left from the Interregnum.

The Emperor's Palace is a crown of sun rays, surrounded by his magical gardens. One garden path is known as Green Emperor Road-here, topiaries of the heads of past Emperors have been shaped by sorcery and can speak. When one must advise Tiber Septim, birds are drawn to the hedgery head, using their songs as its voice and moving its branches for the needed expressions.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nonetheless, for a game, I was still impressed by the size and amount of stuff to do in the Imperial City.

The time it would take to create whats described there, along with populating it and having stuff to do everywhere, will probably never happen in a game.

As with Oblivion and Morrowind before it, my 1-character-do-it-all run is finished after some 130 odd hours. I think I'm done with Skyrim until the first DLC expansion comes around now..
I'm amazed that you did it all in 130hrs! I played over double that and still didn't max out all skills, and didn't finish a few borked quests. I think I spent a lot of time exploring, enjoying the landscape and generally fucking around.

Nonetheless, for a game, I was still impressed by the size and amount of stuff to do in the Imperial City.

The time it would take to create whats described there, along with populating it and having stuff to do everywhere, will probably never happen in a game.

True, at least not in the first few years. Greg Keyes' descriptions of the Imperial City are really awesome, too.

Beth's later TES games (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim) are really more 'scale representations' of the world. Daggerfall was an attempt at crafting the whole world to-scale, and doing it with the look and systems of the later games is just not feasible.

I've started playing on the PC noticed there is a slight input lag in 3rd person view . It takes a split second register a movement and it's the same when press attack or block on the mouse. The movement is silky smooth at 60 fps and no lag with mouselook.

The movement and combat lag is gone when i switch to 1st person and controls seem much more responsive. I've got a quad core 3gb process and a gtx 480 with 8gb ram, so I don't think system is the problem.

Anyone else have the same issue.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm amazed that you did it all in 130hrs! I played over double that and still didn't max out all skills, and didn't finish a few borked quests. I think I spent a lot of time exploring, enjoying the landscape and generally fucking around.

I'd guesstimate 20 of those hours were spent running around aimlessly getting stuck on broken quests. Still have a few unfinishable ones in the quest log (Repairing the White Vial for example, had a Briar Heart in the inventory and can now never finish it until it's patched).

Oh and I forgot about the Dragon Priests, only have 6 out of 9 of those masks, stopped going for those once I had my double-enchanted Daedric set.

PatzCU

Just started playing this... MOTHER OF GOD. This game is going to be crack for me. I tried to get into Oblivion but never really could due to the whacky skill/leveling system. I'm really loving the Skyrim character system which seems to be a mix of typical Bethesda "level what you use" and a talent tree. Also liking that there is no karma system so I can pretty much do whatever I want without feeling OCD about how it's going to affect me down the road.

Quick question though, can I respec my talent tree down the road? I think I'm going to go the magic route but I don't want to sink a bunch of points into destruction only to find out conjuration is awesome later (I have no conjuration spells currently).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just started playing this... MOTHER OF GOD. This game is going to be crack for me. I tried to get into Oblivion but never really could due to the whacky skill/leveling system. I'm really loving the Skyrim character system which seems to be a mix of typical Bethesda "level what you use" and a talent tree. Also liking that there is no karma system so I can pretty much do whatever I want without feeling OCD about how it's going to affect me down the road.

Quick question though, can I respec my talent tree down the road? I think I'm going to go the magic route but I don't want to sink a bunch of points into destruction only to find out conjuration is awesome later (I have no conjuration spells currently).

No respec, that said I never used up all the perk points you get from leveling up myself. Got 16 spare at max level. So I wouldn't worry too much about putting points into things that ends up being "useless" later on.

I went Destruction Mage > Thief/Archer > One Handed Weapon/Heavy Armor master throughout my play-through. You have enough points and spare at that to max out several talent trees.

So, rumor has it the special surprise included with the Creation Kit on tuesday might be an official hi-res texture pack for PC users. Would be very cool of them (and make me even more envious I don't have a good gaming rig yet).

iNvid02

So, rumor has it the special surprise included with the Creation Kit on tuesday might be an official hi-res texture pack for PC users. Would be very cool of them (and make me even more envious I don't have a good gaming rig yet).

hopefully, i deleted my borked save and am gonna start afresh, would be great to get better textures

VALKYRAY

Banned
Sounds like it. 3 of my questlines glitched on me (Thieves, Dark Brotherhood & Companions) so they couldn't be completed, never even bothered trying to complete the main questline and never have I been burnt quite so badly by such a hyped and anticipated release, and I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan. I played all the way through vanilla Morrowind on the original Xbox and even that wasn't as glitchy a experience as Skyrim on the PS3 has been.
I used a code to bypass that focus crystal section. Now I'm continuing on. Im glade I got the pc version.

VALKYRAY

Banned

That's no special. Pc should have that on day one. What should be special is a fucking patch that prevent glitch shit from happening. No more npc refuse to act with you. No more key item Mia.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I've started playing on the PC noticed there is a slight input lag in 3rd person view . It takes a split second register a movement and it's the same when press attack or block on the mouse. The movement is silky smooth at 60 fps and no lag with mouselook.

The movement and combat lag is gone when i switch to 1st person and controls seem much more responsive. I've got a quad core 3gb process and a gtx 480 with 8gb ram, so I don't think system is the problem.

Anyone else have the same issue.

Mouse acceleration in the configuration file?

I'm very happy my game only crashed once in the 60+ hours I've played so far and only had one game hurting glitch (ultimately got through the mission by reloading) where a character refused to move even though I had to follow him.

It's been an incredible experience.

I am at the end of the Thieves Guild quest and have run into a character that never dies, and allows me to pummel them with destruction magic.

Am I safe to grind it out here? The character is
The spirit of Gallus
and I don't want to do it if I will bork the quest.

Bah! Looks like I ran into my first game bug. One of the Companions quest require me to go to Driftshade Refuge which I've already cleared so the quest never starts. Looks like it's gonna be fixed in the next patch though.

GhaleonEB

Well this is interesting.

I'm on the way back from the fetch portion of A Daedra's Best Friend (hilarious quest) when I decide to nudge the main quest along a bit on the way. I swing by Riverwood and talk to Delphine, with Barbas in tow, and head to Kynesgrove to kill the dragon there. I like to travel with guys and snag ingredients on the way, so the three of us start hoofing it. On the way, we run into some Stormcloaks.

I'm Imperial, and I don't let Stormcloaks saunter on by on my watch. I start taking them out - they don't last long - and then turn to find my two companions at one another's throat. Barbas and Delphine are really going after each other. Amusingly, Barbas was winning.

Leaving them to their squabble, I and head to the dragon burial mound. After my target has emerged, we engage - I'm quite formidable now, though I still have to watch it around dragons. Part way through the fight I get tagged by an arrow. I turn around and Delphine is targeting me! And good ol' Barbas is attacking her from behind. Good dog.

I lock her in a case of ice for a while and focus on the dragon, eventually felling it. Now I've got its soul, and Delphine is still after my ass. :lol

Unfortunately, I can't talk to her and Calm isn't strong enough to chill her out. I'm going to leave her and Barbas to their little spat and hope that Delphine chills out after I take a wagon ride or two.

My speculation is that Delphine attacked me when I turned on the Stormcloaks, and since Barbas is assigned to me as a companion, he sprung to my defense. But they're both invincible, so their rivalry might never end.

If this turns out to have broken the main quest, I'll just reload from when we left Riverwood and send Barbas on his way. What a weird situation...

Top Bottom