• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Seanspeed

Banned
Anyone else taking a break from this game until the DLC is released? I haven't played this game in over a month because I didn't want to be burned-out on it when the DLC arrives. It's been really hard not to play this game haha. It's just sitting on my shelf, taunting me, but I won't give in! I need this DLC - whatever that may be - to be released soon.

I'm still going with my first playthrough. Just taking my time with it because I'm probably not gonna pick it up again until most of the DLC is out. I'm also leaving myself quite a bit to do for that 2nd playthrough that I haven't touched this time around. I imagine it'll probably be a year/year and a half before I start that 2nd playthrough, so things should be nice and fresh and there will be lots of new stuff to do aside from just the DLC.

A respec option would have been so handy. I actually have spent only a handful of my skill points and have been banking the others, just so I wouldn't fall into such a trap.

Somewhat agree. I like to live with thee consequences of my choices, but early on I was too sporadic with how I spent my points and I later wished I had been more prudent without I spent my skill points.

The one thing I find incredibly frustrating.....and I know this will be an unpopular opinion....is that I think this game needs a longer and far more in depth tutorial for first time elder scrolls players. There are too many actions in this game that have lasting consequences and if you don't know that going in you can royally fuck it up.

GhaleonEB

The one thing I find incredibly frustrating.....and I know this will be an unpopular opinion....is that I think this game needs a longer and far more in depth tutorial for first time elder scrolls players. There are too many actions in this game that have lasting consequences and if you don't know that going in you can royally fuck it up.

I wonder how many people know about the help screen. It's very in depth.

Seanspeed

Banned

Like what, specifically? I'd agree that a respec ability for your skills would be nice(though I doubt you're gonna royally fuck anything up), but cant think of much else.

I don't disagree with you and I'm sure that is a real challenge for Bethesda to walk that line of creating something easy for new players that isn't frustrating for veterans. I can tell you, having played ever Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall, that the beginning of each game is unbearably slow for me. I can't wait to get through the "on-rails" sections at the start and get out into the world.

On the other hand, I know how incredibly daunting it can be for a new player to be released into the world completely unprepared. It can be overwhelming at first, so any tutorial would help, as long as it doesn't take me longer to get going. ;)

I wonder how many people know about the help screen. It's very in depth.

Thank you for mentioning this. Didn't know it existed lol

Like what, specifically? I'd agree that a respec ability for your skills would be nice(though I doubt you're gonna royally fuck anything up), but cant think of much else.

For example. Early on all I knew is that books = magic. So I collected every one I could find and spend a good half hour reading each one only to realize none of them did anything. So I read them all again.

I also stumbled into a camp of guys who I promptly attacked since they were off the beaten path and I assumed they were baddies. Like 10 of em....took me forever to kill them all....and one guy kept coming back and attacking me till I died.....have no idea what was going on. Had to run....... no clue if I did something wrong.

I don't disagree with you and I'm sure that is a real challenge for Bethesda to walk that line of creating something easy for new players that isn't frustrating for veterans. I can tell you, having played ever Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall, that the beginning of each game is unbearably slow for me. I can't wait to get through the "on-rails" sections at the start and get out into the world.

On the other hand, I know how incredibly daunting it can be for a new player to be released into the world completely unprepared. It can be overwhelming at first, so any tutorial would help, as long as it doesn't take me longer to get going. ;)

I would like an optional tutorial to walk you through all the mechanics of the game. Crafting, alchemy, etc. Right now alchemy to me just means picking three random herbs and making a potion and hoping it works out. I am focusing on magic yet the game gives no guidance on other gear...should I use light gear? Why? Are there specific weapons i should be using as a magic user? Can I equip more than two spells (I like keeping heal bound at all times lol) All these little RPG mechanics are driving me mad. What are words of power? How do I use them? All these things go unanswered so right now I am a destruction/healing dude in all heavy armor running around knowing I am missing some key game play mechanics.

Still having fun with the game though.

GhaleonEB

I agree. Though, having only played Oblivion, I was impressed by Skyrim's more compact intro dungeon. Having gone through it four times now, it's still remarkable how many 'teaching moments' they crammed into something so brief.

What drives me nuts is the long wagon ride/execution scene. It feels like it takes as long as the dungeon itself. :lol

Seanspeed

Banned
For example. Early on all I knew is that books = magic. So I collected every one I could find and spend a good half hour reading each one only to realize none of them did anything. So I read them all again.

I also stumbled into a camp of guys who I promptly attacked since they were off the beaten path and I assumed they were baddies. Like 10 of em....took me forever to kill them all....and one guy kept coming back and attacking me till I died.....have no idea what was going on. Had to run....... no clue if I did something wrong.
Thats not really messing anything up, though.

I agree they could explain more of the mechanics of the game to you, but I think they do a pretty good job of ensuring you're not going to screw up your game irrepairably.

Thats not really messing anything up, though.

I agree they could explain more of the mechanics of the game to you, but I think they do a pretty good job of ensuring you're not going to screw up your game irrepairably.

Eh that is yet to be seen for me. The first quest out of the starting area I killed guy I was suppose to talk to to finish quest. Was told to just go to next town.....not sure how that will fix anything but will try it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh that is yet to be seen for me. The first quest out of the starting area I killed guy I was suppose to talk to to finish quest. Was told to just go to next town.....not sure how that will fix anything but will try it.
You have not royally fucked up anything, dont worry. Its a minor, unimportant quest and there's not very many that you can mess up by killing people. There will be hundreds of quests to do still.

Also, you cant get upset that you cant finish a quest if you go around killing people. I dont know what you expect. Maybe when you start a game, it should pop up and say, "Caution: your actions may have consequences." But you'd think most people would realize this going in. I'm not sure what else you want them to do about it.

You have not royally fucked up anything, dont worry. Its a minor, unimportant quest and there's not very many that you can mess up by killing people. There will be hundreds of quests to do still.

Also, you cant get upset that you cant finish a quest if you go around killing people. I dont know what you expect. Maybe when you start a game, it should pop up and say, "Caution: your actions may have consequences." But you'd think most people would realize this going in. I'm not sure what else you want them to do about it.

They attacked me first :p

How was I to know killing a chicken would illicit their rage? lol

I would like an optional tutorial to walk you through all the mechanics of the game. Crafting, alchemy, etc. Right now alchemy to me just means picking three random herbs and making a potion and hoping it works out. I am focusing on magic yet the game gives no guidance on other gear...should I use light gear? Why? Are there specific weapons i should be using as a magic user? Can I equip more than two spells (I like keeping heal bound at all times lol) All these little RPG mechanics are driving me mad. What are words of power? How do I use them? All these things go unanswered so right now I am a destruction/healing dude in all heavy armor running around knowing I am missing some key game play mechanics.

The game introduces a lot of those mechanics (although not all) either by pop-ups or if you just do as the game explicitly tells you and follow the first few quests. I guess the game could have had a longer on-rails dungeon right at the beginning but the game tries to incorporate learning the mechanics in a more natural-feeling way, and I don't necessarily see how the developers are at fault if you refuse to use the methods they gave you.

If you're really that baffled just go to gamefaqs.

Eorland Grey-Mane is dead, and I don't know why :-\ Not that it's a game breaker, but still a bit Wtf.

also, how dare I be told to kill
Paarthunax! I felt like killing esbern and delphine for even suggesting it.

GhaleonEB

Just to follow on to this, both the manual and the Help tutorials describe things like Alchemy at the level of detail you're asking for. Instructions are also provided the first time you use an alchemy station. n both loading screen tips and the help menu (and I think the manual, I'll need to check), you're told the pros and cons of the armor classes (light is silent, lets you move faster, weights less; heavy protects more but is noisy, slows you down and is heavy).

They won't tell you things like what pairings of play styles (weapons/magic) work well together, becuase shaping your own character along those lines is a big part of the game. Most are pretty intuitive.

Man, this Blood on the Ice quest could do a better job with giving you freedom to improvise.

Detective Dragonborn already cracked the case wide open with decisive evidence (
Calixto's journal from his lock box that spells out that he's the culprit and what his motive is
). Yet the game doesn't let me confront him,
instead I have to go and accuse the court wizard even though I know he's innocent!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Normally you can jump through objectives pretty easily, but I guess the problem there is the conclusion doesn't really let you confront him. You kill him and that's the end of it.

This is all actually in the game

If you talk to the Smith in the very first city, Riverwood, and I actually think any Smith they have a dialogue option like, "Can you help me improve my weapons" and they'll literally give you a quest to sit at the grinding stone and improve your sword, create an armor piece at the forge, and tan leather. The mage in Dragonsreach teaches you how to enchant gear, I think he even gives you a filled Petty or Common Soul Gem - also tells you how to Soul Trap. I can't think of which Alchemist does it off the top of my head but I bet the one in Whiterun will teach you how. At most, Bethesda should of maybe put those Tradeskill quests in your log from the start but they are there. You're expected to actually walk around and talk to the various shopkeepers and tradeskill workers on your own volition.

As for magic questions, there's no such thing as a "magic character" really... you can make your character proficient in magic but doesn't stop him from also being proficient in weapons as well. I do agree they could probably put across the benefits/drawbacks of light and heavy armor better... specifically that heavy armor hurts your chances of successfully sneaking. The other consideration though, the weight, is obvious from the stats.

I remember Morrowind's opening. You stepped off the boat, created your character, got a few brief hints, and then the game said "go get 'em, tiger" and left you alone forever.

I remember Morrowind's opening. You stepped off the boat, created your character, got a few brief hints, and then the game said "go get 'em, tiger" and left you alone forever.

... And then you went and raided the bandit cave and looted Skooma that you sold in Balmora to a certain Khajit! The memories...

Anyway, I started the King Olaf's Verse quest (entry quest to Bard's college), cleared the dungeon, found the dead body... and no book. :( It seems there is a bug with the quest and v1.4 doesn't fix it.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Man, this Blood on the Ice quest could do a better job with giving you freedom to improvise.

Detective Dragonborn already cracked the case wide open with decisive evidence (
Calixto's journal from his lock box that spells out that he's the culprit and what his motive is
). Yet the game doesn't let me confront him,
instead I have to go and accuse the court wizard even though I know he's innocent!

You don't have to accuse the court wizard. Go talk to him. But accusing him is pretty amusing.
There are a few ways for this quest to play out. I agree that it's silly that you can't use found evidence early. I found the journal before the quest even started.

... And then you went and raided the bandit cave and looted Skooma that you sold in Balmora to a certain Khajit! The memories...
I always did that quest at the lighthouse, then followed and caught that sneaky thief who hides the goods in the tree trunk... of course that was after taking absolutely everything from the custom's house and selling it to the vendor so I could get a full set of armor. Oh, and running out of town so I could loot that falling mage of his sweet robes, journal, and fortify agility scrolls. Ah... Seyda Neen

That sneaky thief? One cannot forget Fargoth!
Well yeah, he was a great little wood elf. I'd find his awesome ring in the census office, return it to him to get my reputation up with the trade-house so everything was cheaper, then I'd steal the ring back when I found his hiding place. Even better, you'd do the quest to find the hiding place and grab all the gold in there but then just not turn in the quest (since the reward is actually less than what you find) - later on when I'm rich as hell I go back and give the guy whatever petty amount it was to complete the quest - but keeping that gold for yourself is really helpful early on and there's no penalty.

I played the beginning of Morrowind WAY too many times

You don't have to accuse the court wizard. Go talk to him. But accusing him is pretty amusing.
There are a few ways for this quest to play out. I agree that it's silly that you can't use found evidence early. I found the journal before the quest even started.

Well yeah, I meant I have to
confront/accuse the court wizard directly. Not go tell the authorities. I skipped the parts of the quest where it tells you to go talk to Jorilef, other than the one to trigger the investigation. Like I broke into the house instead of asking for permission to go in
. Detective Dragonborn plays by his own rules!

NBtoaster

Feel silly for putting so many quests off. I'm getting a lot of "thanks for that, let me teach you a few tricks" that are supposed to increase skills, but I've already maxed a lot of them :L And the frostflow Lighthouse reward is quite useful to me as a Restoration user.

At least this means I'm getting the highest level loot from the Thieves Guild. Chillrend is extremely good.

metalshade

I am having a problem with starting a daedric quest, the sanguine rose one in fact.
I talk to the guy to initate drinking, I drink a few, then he says hes had enough, then I say something like THASH GRAPE! , and then....nothing happens.
I am level 80, have played though absolutely everything, and I cannot do this quest to get the achievement for collecting them all, now I am getting really annoyed, what to do GAF?

Effect

Finished the main story tonight. Not as good as it could have been. Overall I did like how things played out. Just that the ending, like so many games, didn't hold up and provide a satisfying conclusion. Finished that and I also finished the civil war missions. Sided with the Imperials. I tried to give both sides the benefit of the doubt but couldn't side with the Stormcloak's leader. Steam is telling me I put in 57 hours. I'd say for $40 (what I paid) I got a good deal of entertainment out of it. I really doubt I'll be playing anymore to any serious degree though. Might log in at times just to mess around or clear out my inventory. Do want to marry my character off just to have done it.

Not on to other games finally.

Argonions are weird.

I needed to talk to two of them to finish two quests in Windhelm but they were both locked in the argonion bunkhouse place behind a master lock in the middle of the afternoon and just kept saying "you need to leave" when I broke in. Wonder what I interrupted...

Argonions are weird.

I needed to talk to two of them to finish two quests in Windhelm but they were both locked in the argonion bunkhouse place behind a master lock in the middle of the afternoon and just kept saying "you need to leave" when I broke in. Wonder what I interrupted...

Well, consider this. If you locked your door only to have someone you don't know pick the lock and enter to talk to you, how would you react? :lol

And those stupid guards in this game are annoying. I needed to get inside the College of Winterhold for the Main Quest, so I told the elf outside that I'm the goddamn Dragonborn and she let me in. I didn't talk to anyone to further any College quests, just went straight to the library to talk to that Orc and then left again.

Fast-forward five or six hours, and I've just emerged from Blackreach. Tired and starved, my character stumbled back into Whiterun, heading for his home. A guard's waiting at my door, so I push him out of the way. He simply shrugs and tells me "Hey, you're the one from the College, I heard about you!"

Are these people dense? Don't they know who the fuck I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

Aqcw7.jpg

I was wondering if I'd get treated differently in the orc strongholds, now that I'm an orc. I'm pleased that the answer is yes.
I'veoften wondered if the race you choose hasany bearing on how different groups react to you. If I was a Dark Elf and went to Windhelm would I be treated like an outsider by the locals? If I was a Nord would I be welcomed with open arms by my kin, but shunned by imperials/high elves etc...

I'm playing a Breton, it annoys me when other Bretons aren't more welcoming to me. In fact it annoyed me when the Jarls Breton cook started telling me all about his homeland, I thought the game would've at least thrown in a "but look who I'm telling this to" line.

I'veoften wondered if the race you choose hasany bearing on how different groups react to you. If I was a Dark Elf and went to Windhelm would I be treated like an outsider by the locals? If I was a Nord would I be welcomed with open arms by my kin, but shunned by imperials/high elves etc...

I'm playing a Breton, it annoys me when other Bretons aren't more welcoming to me. In fact it annoyed me when the Jarls Breton cook started telling me all about his homeland, I thought the game would've at least thrown in a "but look who I'm telling this to" line.

It's very minimal. Thalmor will still talk down to you, even if you're a High Elf. The people in Windhelm don't give a crap if you're a Dark Elf. I think the Stormcloak questline reacts a bit to your race, but it's also very minimal.

I mean, coupling that with the lack of different voice actors for player characters, is kinda disappointing. I think there's only two different voices for male characters: one for Elves (with the Altmer voice actor) and one for everyone else. The least Beth could've done was give the Argonians and Khajiit another voice actor, no? Just seems so... Lazy.

Well, consider this. If you locked your door only to have someone you don't know pick the lock and enter to talk to you, how would you react? :lol

But they do know me, they both asked me to do things for them and this is the thanks I get?!

They left the room as soon as I did too. It's all very suspicious....

But they do know me, they both asked me to do things for them and this is the thanks I get?!

They left the room as soon as I did too. It's all very suspicious....

Slippery lizards. :lol

No, in all seriousness, the game just considered you a trespasser, so the Argonians reacted in an unwelcoming way. :p

Slippery lizards. :lol

No, in all seriousness, the game just considered you a trespasser, so the Argonians reacted in an unwelcoming way. :p

Yeah, just seems like a glitch. They were seemingly supposed to be out doing work at that time of the day. Maybe trapped behind the locked door somehow since they left after I opened it.

I've also noticed Adrianne from Whiterun seems to have quit her blacksmithing job and spends her days sitting inside her shop instead, holding an invisible drink. She still wanders to the bar to drink visible ones, though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, just seems like a glitch. They were seemingly supposed to be out doing work at that time of the day. Maybe trapped behind the locked door somehow since they left after I opened it.

I've also noticed Adrianne from Whiterun seems to have quit her blacksmithing job and spends her days sitting inside her shop instead, holding an invisible drink. She still wanders to the bar to drink visible ones, though.

Depending on the weekday she's not working the smith but sit indoors instead, weekend/day off I presume.

Time to enchant this Daedric sword into Oblivion. Fiery soul trap's a great effect because it gives you so many charges, and I'm thinking about putting in Absorb Health as well. This really cuts into my usage amount, though, so maybe I should focus on getting Azura's star next. :lol

I also thought about adding in the Silent Moons Enchant instead of Absorb Health, just for shits and giggles. Name it 'Light in the Darkness' or something like that.

Effect

I have two Alik'r warriors hanging around in Whiterun. Is this a bug? I've finished the quest/task/mission that included them a long time ago as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They're both there on my file as well. Guess it's a normal Bethesda thing, or the Alik'r are simply still looking for her.

Had some trouble coming up with a name for my newly enchanted blade. Went through Soulreaver, Heartsdrain, Lifebane, Gemfeeder and ultimately settled on Death's Harvest.

Also turned the bones of Viinturuth and Vulthuryol into armor and enchanted them, so I'm running around with Viinturuth's Maw and Vulthuryol's Spine right now. Pretty awesome. :lol

I need to find some more named dragons.

EDIT: Huh, what the shit. I just finished 'Alduin's Bane', and the sword's now called 'Daedric Sword' again. It was called 'Death's Harvest' before I fought him, and now it's back to 'normal'. It's still enchanted, though...

Very fucking weird. In any case, I was going to smith up either a new Blades sword or an Ebony Sword and use that, I don't really like the look of Daedric.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I haven't gotten any better hand weapons forever. I have a glass dagger and mace, and have had them for a long time now. I'm level 36. Should I be finding better stuff soon?

Also, why does destruction magic seem to suck? My best spells do like 40-50 points of damage, which is nothing when trying to kill things...

Karl2177

So I haven't gotten any better hand weapons forever. I have a glass dagger and mace, and have had them for a long time now. I'm level 36. Should I be finding better stuff soon?

Also, why does destruction magic seem to suck? My best spells do like 40-50 points of damage, which is nothing when trying to kill things...

I'm around the same level and I have a superior ebony sword and bow. They do pretty good damage until I can start daedra smithing.

Top Bottom