• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

voltron

Any word on DLC yet?

I still havent the main story. Put in well over 200 hrs... for its just a place I go and fuck around if for a while then leave. Thats the way I always enjoy playing these sorts of games I guess.

Its more rewarding as a sense of place that you visit rather than following the story a lot of the time. Its fun to throw on a podcast, have a couple of beers or whatever and just explore.

edit, lol no fucking wonder I couldnt find this thread.... when did this community tab happen?

Well, I'm gonna take a break from the game for a while. Finished Wulf 2.0., and ultimately left a bit of tiny quests behind because I just wanted it to be over with. Next time I'm doing a 'big' playthrough, I'm gonna make some key changes to the way I play and explore. Most notably, no more smithing and enchanting my gear up to insane levels. I'm gonna play this entirely like it's Morrowind or Oblivion. I'm probably going to set the hud to as opaque as possible while still being able to see my bars: I really wish Bethesda could've just given us a toggle option for that. It can't be that hard (then again, judging by what I've seen from the hi-res texture pack, for them it just might be).

I'm gonna focus on Mass Effect 1 and 2 now, and try to squeeze in a short Companions playthrough afterwards if I still have the time. We'll see.

Any word on DLC yet?

edit, lol no fucking wonder I couldnt find this thread.... when did this community tab happen?

Not yet. And the Community section's been around for a few years, I think. :lol Try subscribing to the thread if it's hard to find.

So, what do I do with
the Leggetes at the Imperial camps? If I can't kill them, what do I do with them?

Minor spoiler regarding the civil war questline.

It's simple, you join them. For the glory of the Empire!

So, what do I do with
the Leggetes at the Imperial camps? If I can't kill them, what do I do with them?

Minor spoiler regarding the civil war questline.

voltron

Not yet. And the Community section's been around for a few years, I think. :lol Try subscribing to the thread if it's hard to find.

Yeah Ive been aware of it... never really noticed that official threads land here though. Guess I wasnt paying enough attention.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Already a few mods I like. Guards now only comment on skills I've raised over 75 instead of 30. Night Eye no longer blurs screen edges. Now I just need to replace all the dynamic shadows with static ones - or try to do it myself.

Svafnir

I havent played in a while, been waiting for patch to fix some PS3 issues. (My game was pretty much unplayable)

Seem's like that patch is hitting soon, so im stoked on getting back into skyrim :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I didn't know about this. So if you save, smack a vendor, then reload they will have their money again?

I found that saving, damaging, and reloading changed their inventory but didn't restock their gold. Killing them and reloading did though, so try that if the first method doesn't work.

It works in Whiterun vendors, well at least in the inside building vendors such as Belathor and War Maiden.

Makes the Speech skills lose yet another significant chunk of its usefulness.

It works in Whiterun vendors, well at least in the inside building vendors such as Belathor and War Maiden.

Looks like it works with everybody. I did it to Farelda until she had the Master Robes of Destruction in stock. Great trick.

It also gave me the perfect opportunity to dump all of the excess loot I had. Thanks for the tips folks.

Dyno

Elder Scrolls in my hand! Man, Blackreach is a creepy and unsettling place. Gave me a Demon's Souls vibe. Now I think I'm off to hunt Word Walls and Dragon Priest Masks.

Elder Scrolls in my hand! Man, Blackreach is a creepy and unsettling place. Gave me a Demon's Souls vibe. Now I think I'm off to hunt Word Walls and Dragon Priest Masks.

I thought I was done with Blackreach after scouring through it three or four times to find Crimson Ninroots. Turns out that quest was bugged somehow and even though it told me I found the required number, when I exited, it said I was down two plants.

Now I have to go back in there one more time and find two more. The place is indeed creepy, although I did manage to slay the dragon last time through there.

GhaleonEB

Any news on 360 patch?

It's still in cert. If it follows the timing of the last one, from the time it was submitted to being released, I think it will hit later this week. But it's hard to tell with these things.

I'm pretty hopeful the DLC for Skyrim will be remarkable. The improvement seen in Oblivion from the base game to the Shivering Isles was significant, and without a fractured DLC team working on lots of small buckets of content, Skyrim should see at least that kind of improvement.

In particular I hope they re-focus on making some extraordinary quests. That's the area I'm most disappointed with in Skyrim. The world, towns and dungeons will be superb, but I hope for more engaging story lines and scenarios to follow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh for fuck sake.

How come I just discover the save ---> smack the vendor ----> reload thing only after innumerable amount of hours already spent boringly hopping from one shop to another?

When you do it vendor will re-roll his/her inventory and his/her money will be reset. Very useful so you don't have to hop around or waiting for 48 hours game-time to look for things that you want.

Gah, so much time wasted.

At that point, why not just open up the console and give yourself whatever amount of gold you need (assuming you're playing the PC version)? There are so many things like that in Skyrim, where it's just so easy to exploit you start to wonder if there is any point to any of it at all.

Volimar

At that point, why not just open up the console and give yourself whatever amount of gold you need (assuming you're playing the PC version)? There are so many things like that in Skyrim, where it's just so easy to exploit you start to wonder if there is any point to any of it at all.

WILLPOWER!

Use it.

Dave Long

Banned
Yes, this is true, but I don't get the complaining. "This game is boring because I can cheat and win!"

Then don't!!

GhaleonEB

Yes, this is true, but I don't get the complaining. "This game is boring because I can cheat and win!"

Then don't!!

I have this same thought often. There have been a number of people who have said they abused the smithing and enchanting systems to create maxed out armor and weapons (boosting rings to improve smithing, then doing it again, and again...), or employed some form of grinding to boost skill quickly. Then, lament that the game is no longer difficult. Well, don't do that then. Duh.

I wonder why they don't just set the game to Novice and save the effort.

gaf_spit0wz4o.gif

And according to Beth, console users will be getting the patch tomorrow.

So I completed all the Daedric quests, killed the dog, and sold off many of the daedric artifacts I deemed unimportant. Am I screwed out of the oblivion walker achievement? Should I go around searching for the artifacts I sold or am I still screwed because I killed the dog? Also, any chance the patch will fix this???

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Then don't!!

The problem is that the game is so broken that it's hard not to exploit it in some fashion. For fuck's sake, just doing blacksmithing and/or enchanting to a high level will break the game and enable god mode. Even before that, just about every combat encounter is easily exploitable, too, due to poor enemy pathing.

It's kind of ridiculous that you have to artificially limit yourself and how you play because so many of Skyrim's systems are poorly thought out or just plain broken.

I look at it like this:

In Morrowind I could jump like crazy. By the end of the game I could jump over Balmora in a single leap. My pants were enchanted. My clothes were enchanted...everything. So. Much. Jumping.

Skyrim doesn't have that. So I will gladly exploit the Bryers Inn speech glitch and the Wack-a-vendor trick to make up for it.

I think the corollary here is obvious.

And according to Beth, console users will be getting the patch tomorrow.

That would be almost hilariously timed for me... I just today hit the magic lag inducing number of 13 megs and the game just became unplayable. I was lagging a bit where it was annoying but acceptable (to me) but it turned a corner this morning.

Would warm my heart if I could turn around and pick up the game again tomorrow with no real loss in motivation.

STG

That would be almost hilariously timed for me... I just today hit the magic lag inducing number of 13 megs and the game just became unplayable. I was lagging a bit where it was annoying but acceptable (to me) but it turned a corner this morning.

Would warm my heart if I could turn around and pick up the game again tomorrow with no real loss in motivation.

that means you expect that this patch will actually fix the lag?
I wish I could believe that too :(

Woorloog

Banned
Can't wait for the patch, i want to start Skyrim again.
Of course i'm stuck at choosing the character type...
Dual axe wielding something or Thief-inspired thief character?

GhaleonEB

The problem is that the game is so broken that it's hard not to exploit it in some fashion. For fuck's sake, just doing blacksmithing and/or enchanting to a high level will break the game and enable god mode. Even before that, just about every combat encounter is easily exploitable, too, due to poor enemy pathing.

It's kind of ridiculous that you have to artificially limit yourself and how you play because so many of Skyrim's systems are poorly thought out or just plain broken.

In my experience, the default difficulty is very easy; it feels aimed at those unfamiliar with the series. Set to Expert (one notch up from default), it was a happy medium, though I did enter god-tier near the end of my lone character on that setting.

I'm playing on Master difficulty now, and the smithing and enchanting systems are not game breaking. I actually find them essential to keep up. I would have liked to see the other settings more evenly balanced, but I feel I have the tools to ensure my game is balanced to my liking, given what ever set of skills I choose to employ.

No argument on the AI pathing (the stealth mechanic in particular is easy to game).

Woorloog

Banned
In my experience, the default difficulty is very easy; it feels aimed at those unfamiliar with the series. Set to Adept (one notch up from default), it was a happy medium, though I did enter god-tier near the end of my lone character on that setting.

Adept is the default. Do you mean Expert?

Woorloog

Banned
Why not use "Easiest, easy, medium/normal, hard, hardest"? Or keep the difficulty slider from Morrowind. I don't like Expert, i'd like something beetween Adept and Expert... (I tend to play without armor and low health so i die easily already).

The save/kill/reload trick is a godsend. Hated the money limit. Hated it even more that it was so low.

But who has the highest gold cap? I need to sell my enchanted legendary dragonplate armors :p

Volimar

The save/kill/reload trick is a godsend. Hated the money limit. Hated it even more that it was so low.

But who has the highest gold cap? I need to sell my enchanted legendary dragonplate armors :p

I don't use this trick. In whiterun it's not hard to sell everything. You've got 2 npcs in warmaidens (only use the guy while the girl is outside), the drunken huntsman, the old smith at the skyforge, and belethor's shop in addition to the wizard in dragonsreach and the alchemy shop. I rarely have trouble getting rid of everything...

Dave1988

Tonilla of the Thieves Guild has a 5k gold cap once you restore the Guild to its former glory. I think I saw some vendors that have 5k,too, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was.

I hope 1.4 will really fix the lag issues. My save is over 15 mb and after half an hour of playing Skyrim becomes Lagrim for me. :/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Tonilla of the Thieves Guild has a 5k gold cap once you restore the Guild to its former glory. I think I saw some vendors that have 5k,too, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was.

I hope 1.4 will really fix the lag issues. My save is over 15 mb and after half an hour of playing Skyrim becomes Lagrim for me. :/

The person you help out via the guild to restore it to its glory in each city is a fence and has the same cap as Tonilla, 5k.

I don't use this trick. In whiterun it's not hard to sell everything. You've got 2 npcs in warmaidens (only use the guy while the girl is outside), the drunken huntsman, the old smith at the skyforge, and belethor's shop in addition to the wizard in dragonsreach and the alchemy shop. I rarely have trouble getting rid of everything...

No, it's just that I vendors can't even afford to buy my armor that's worth like 2k, even with their full gold cap.

Volimar

Nice!

No, it's just that I vendors can't even afford to buy my armor that's worth like 2k, even with their full gold cap.

Restore the thieves guild, or I think there's a perk in speechcraft that raises the threshold, but I pretty much completely ignore the speechcraft perk tree...

Edit- Also, if you can find a shopkeeper npc that can train a skill for you, the training funds go into their till. It won't make you as rich, but you can make the money back selling stuff that you pay to train...

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Did anyone catch Todd Howard's talk at DICE? The week after Skyrim came out Bethesda employees had one week to do anything they wanted and put it in Skyrim. They showed a video of some of the creations and it looked awesome!

Horse combat, spears, GIANT mudcrabs, dragon mounts, Build your own house, season changing, and more. Really neat stuff.

Video is around 21:00 in his DICE keynote
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=skyrims_todd_howard_dice_keynote20120208

venom2124

Did anyone catch Todd Howard's talk at DICE? The week after Skyrim came out Bethesda employees had one week to do anything they wanted and put it in Skyrim. They showed a video of some of the creations and it looked awesome!

Horse combat, spears, GIANT mudcrabs, dragon mounts, Build your own house, season changing, and more. Really neat stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=skyrims_todd_howard_dice_keynote20120208

Some of that stuff is amazing. Thanks for posting it. I really hope some of those features make it into dlc. We need more mammoth water monsters popping out of the murky depths.

If the patch does indeed release tomorrow (barring complications), it looks like I'm diving back in. It should fix a bunch of things I had problems with - here's hoping it doesn't break anything new.

I had played for 70ish hours already anyway, but I still have a lot to do.

Volimar

Some of those are amazing. Holy shit at flying vampire lord. I'd love love love some harder enemies...

FUCK! That's a big mudcrab!

Just watched that video. Holy fuck. If they weren't so committed to a release date and took an extra month or two, the game could have been significantly improved in many areas.

Not counting polish.

Hopefully we see some of that stuff trickle down as DLC. We'll almost certainly see some of it as mods in the future, released by Bethesda or otherwise.

GhaleonEB

I'm watching the video end to end right now; great stuff. Just got through the Jam Week sizzle reel. Lots of great stuff in there, but one I really wish was in Skyrim: dark dungeons. A couple with no natural light at all. I went through the game hoping to run into them.

If a fraction of those ideas make DLC, holy crap. 0_o

Top Bottom