• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

Hehe, this game is so much more enjoyable when you actually role play a little.
Yeah, I find myself doing actual role playing much more than I have in any previous game. It just makes it more fun.

This might sound weird, but I like to narrate what I'm doing in my head as if I'm sending a letter to someone describing my recent exploits.

Heh, I do the same.

Edit: I just learned that on A Deadra's Best Friend,
the axe isn't the Daedric artifact! You have to NOT kill the dog to get it. All the other Daedric quests I've done had an evil twist to them in order to get it, so I assumed that was it. I learned this from my daughter, who didn't kill him.

Now, apparently, I can't get the Oblivion Walker achievement. Is that right?

NBtoaster

Looking for pre-placed unleveled loot in the creation kit..some info:

A pair of unleveled ebony boots exists in the orc stronghold Narzulbur, they appear to be stuck in the side of one of the smaller huts, though you can probably still get them.
In the same hut, there are 2 ebony arrows.
In Tovald's Cave there are 2 glass arrows in a skeleton.
A single glass arrow is in a wilderness cell near Twilight Sepulcher.

That appears to be it. No other guaranteed Dragon, Daedric, Ebony or Glass loot appears to exist at the start of the game (out of enemies inventory at least).

It's better than Oblivion at least, where you couldn't even find Dwarven, Orcish or Elven equipment at the start. And there are some quest rewards that are unleveled and better than Elven.

Svafnir

Glad to hear PS3 problems are pretty much fixed, I will be coming back to the world of skyrim! I still have the thieves guild/Mage college and a few Daedric quests left.

End of dark brotherhood was pretty epic though.
God damn that was a cool moment on the boat, he knew he was going to die and just let's it happen. Sneaking onto the boat, all of it was amazing. Also it was the only assination I had to think about

Hopefully the other quests are even better! Stoked to play more.

Yeah, I find myself doing actual role playing much more than I have in any previous game. It just makes it more fun.

Heh, I do the same.

Edit: I just learned that on A Deadra's Best Friend,
the axe isn't the Daedric artifact! You have to NOT kill the dog to get it. All the other Daedric quests I've done had an evil twist to them in order to get it, so I assumed that was it. I learned this from my daughter, who didn't kill him.

Now, apparently, I can't get the Oblivion Walker achievement. Is that right?

I think you can get around it by getting both artifacts in Ill Met By Moonlight.
Help the werewolf kill the hunters, get the ring, then go back in and kill the werewolf

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Glad to hear PS3 problems are pretty much fixed, I will be coming back to the world of skyrim! I still have the thieves guild/Mage college and a few Daedric quests left.

End of dark brotherhood was pretty epic though.
God damn that was a cool moment on the boat, he knew he was going to die and just let's it happen. Sneaking onto the boat, all of it was amazing. Also it was the only assination I had to think about

Hopefully the other quests are even better! Stoked to play more.

The evil twist here is
forcing Clavicus to keep Barbas as his pet rather than alleviating him of the annoying dog.
:p

ksimm

I haven't played for a while so booted up 1.4, and damn I had major stutter outside. Turns out running in window mode makes it silky smooth... I await the fix in 1.5 :[

Serious problem guys. I'm playing the PC version with the 360 controller and I've remapped the A button to LT and now I can't use the menu to save/change the controls as everytime I go to activate, it now switches tabs instead. Is there a way of changing the controls back to default?

Aaand I guess I should just throw it in here: do not make the fortify sneak/lockpick enchantments for your apparels. They're bugged (although to be fair I don't know whether they're fixed on the latest patches or not)
Whats this bug you mention. I havent heard about it, could you please elaborate?

Edit: So I was hunting down Grimsever for Mjoll when I come across two falmers. So I drop one with my bow and the other goes to check on him and right then I nail him in the chest with an arrow.

Heres a pic of how they fell, I thought it was funny so I figured I'd share it.

0PhTJl.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Whats this bug you mention. I havent heard about it, could you please elaborate?

If the combined value for your sneak/lockpick from the skills and the enchantments goes beyond 100 percent, the enchantments will actually make it harder for your character to sneak/lockpick. Note that apparently this bug only applies to the enchantment version of the fortify sneak/lockpick... It seems like other methods to strengthen those skills (like from drinking potions) are working as intended.

Card Boy

Banned
80hours in i got these achievements left to do. My character is level 44 and i can't be stuffed doing the rest outside the main mission. I will wait for an expansion/dlc before getting back into it.

edgrb.png

If i beat the game can i do other shit after? Or is it like vanilla Fallout 3 where it just ends after the last mission?

Game is buggier than ever for me right now. The new HD texture pack for PC users is also very buggy :\ NPC's keep repeating lines over and over and other weird things. Also this..

Xgdoi.jpg

Never had that before :p

nHDR

Banned
Ok, got some questions for you guys regarding enchanting and so forth.

1. I want to make an amulet that resists 100% magic. Would I have to create "fortify enchant" potions and then just drink them all before I make the enchantment? How many potions would I need to consume???

2. How useful is the extra effect perk for enchantments?

3. I'd like to create an amulet that resists magic 100%, a ring that boosts two-handed weapon damage by 100%, and something that regenerates health or whatever. Is this possible?

I actually levelled up a bunch of loot without saving, just wanted to see the possibilities. I managed an armor rating of 920 with enchantments, and 74% more two-handed damage. I then took a daedric greatsword and gave it maximum flame damage. I could kill a giant on master difficulty in 2 hits, lol.

Silphatos

Banned
Balgruuf doesn't have an option for the Ulfric's axe and I'm at Sovngarde right now. Will I be able to give that after the main quest? If not I have to go back to an (much) older save.

Tunic

Just wanting to clarify if I am really stuck in a bind here with the game:

Is it really impossible to purchase daedra hearts from Enthir at the College of Winterhold when you become the Arch-Mage and never traded with him before?

KorrZ

Just wanting to clarify if I am really stuck in a bind here with the game:

Is it really impossible to purchase daedra hearts from Enthir at the College of Winterhold when you become the Arch-Mage and never traded with him before?

Yes, although that isn't the only way to get Daedra Hearts. If you really need some I'd suggest doing a specific quest:
Pieces of the Past, in Dawnstar

Reposted:

Serious problem guys. I'm playing the PC version with the 360 controller and I've remapped the A button to LT and now I can't use the menu to save/change the controls as everytime I go to activate, it now switches tabs instead. Is there a way of changing the controls back to default?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I installed the mod which makes darker night and darker dungeons. Is there some night vision spell or potion in the game? I saw a mod but I'm not sure if in-game solution doesn't exist.

Volimar

After ending the civil war, I wish I could approach the Redguards of Hammerfell and broker an alliance to fight the Thalmor together...

Woorloog

Banned
Sword and shield playstyle is odd, for me. I like it... yet i get bored of it very quickly. Might have something to do with Deflect Arrows perk being broken and capping shield defense VS melee as well as arrows... Or something. The same applies to Oblivion as well. In Morrowind i did like shield a lot and didn't get bored to using it, despite it being chance to block instead of being manually used. Odd.

I swear i will not buy DLC on 360 but rather i will double dip Skyrim from Steam once i get a proper gaming PC and get DLC for that version. Skyrim has so many things so close to perfection (yet so far on consoles...) and so many things that need total overhaul. I will have to make my own overhaul mod. (So far the only overhaul mod i like (in theory anyway, since i have New Vegas on 360) is J. Sawyer's Fallout New Vegas mod, all Oblivion and Fallout 3 overhauls had something that made me turn them away instantly.)

By the way, are Speech persuade and intimidate choices chance or threshold based? IE does save-load pass them eventually or not. Also, is there some easy way to train (without a trainer) Speech early on?

By the way, are Speech persuade and intimidate choices chance or threshold based? IE does save-load pass them eventually or not. Also, is there some easy way to train (without a trainer) Speech early on?

It's all threshold as far as I know. Instead of training try to find an Amulet of Dibella or something similar to increase your skill level.

Woorloog

Banned
It's all threshold as far as I know. Instead of training try to find an Amulet of Dibella or something similar to increase your skill level.

Eh, i want the perks, specifically Fence (and other trading ones), i don't feel like going back to the thieves guild everytime i steal something.
I don't care if they're worthless, roleplaying my characters so...

EDIT if it is threshold, Persuasion lowers that by 30% then?

kylej

Banned
finally playing through this now... absolutely fantastic. I wish I could see the look on people's faces who are high as a kite when Meridia
flings you up into the air to talk to you
. Blew my mind a few seconds ago.

strem

Skyrim has just become the first game that I got all 1000 achievement points in! What a fantastic game. About to play it on the PC now

Tunic

Yes, although that isn't the only way to get Daedra Hearts. If you really need some I'd suggest doing a specific quest:
Pieces of the Past, in Dawnstar

I did just complete this quest but I am looking to get a full set of the armor. Is there a way to get 3 additional Daedra Hearts?

KorrZ

I did just complete this quest but I am looking to get a full set of the armor. Is there a way to get 3 additional Daedra Hearts?

If you wait 1 week in game, all the Daedra will respawn at the shrine from that quest, so you can kill them all again and farm hearts that way.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyway to get past a glitch in the civil war story? I took out the wagon and went back to report to Galmar but the next quest doesn't start.

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked Skyrim. What a disappointing ending, i was expecting something huge.

I got 4 achievements left to 100% it. I'm level 44 and i can't be bothered getting 6 levels.

bOJqR.png

Shoogoo

I finally 1000/1000ed Skyrim with my archer, what a ride! I want to start over with a new character but I can't decide what path I want to take.

I was considering a 2 handed hammer guy, but doesn't that get boring after a few hours?

Also, magic maybe.. But I wasn't impressed by the variety of spell books I found during my 1st playthrough.

What did everyone play as?

Volimar

I finally 1000/1000ed Skyrim with my archer, what a ride! I want to start over with a new character but I can't decide what path I want to take.

I was considering a 2 handed hammer guy, but doesn't that get boring after a few hours?

Also, magic maybe.. But I wasn't impressed by the variety of spell books I found during my 1st playthrough.

Duel dagger wielding assassin is surprisingly fun. Decapitating/throat slitting is very satisfying.

Arjen

I did a 2-handed breton after my archer, including some conjuration. It's fun for a couple of hours, but i enjoyed my archer a lot more honestly

Shoogoo

I did a 2-handed breton after my archer, including some conjuration. It's fun for a couple of hours, but i enjoyed my archer a lot more honestly

Yep that's what I'm afraid of.

The assassin might be a good idea, but I already played a sneak character :/

MMaRsu

I like summoning the spectral assassin but GODDAMN any way to shut this bastard up? Ps3 version so no modding for me :(. Fuck this guy just wont stfu..

DID YOU HEAR ABOUT RICHARD BLABLA TREACHERY OF CHEYDENHAL A BOY KILLED HIS MOTHER BLABLA

Fuck just wanna kill this guy. Summon something else works but I want him, but I want him to stop fucking annoying me lol :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm still on my first playthrough as a pure magic user, focused on fire spells, no armor or weapons of any kind, and I'm absolutely loving it. With no armor at all and points invested in alteration, as long as I keep my ebonyflesh spell up my armor rating is decent. My only real regret is that the game doesn't have kill animations for spells. It really needs them, I have a level 9 paladin I started, and the kill animations are so awesome.

Surprisingly enough, at level 38, the monsters that give me the most challenge in combat are other strong magic users. Some enemy mages are weaksauce, but every now and the you get the one that throws lightning and ice storms at you from behind cover while using wards to block your own fireballs. Mage battles freaking rock in this game! I've got so many different spells that I find myself playing around with combinations just for the fun of it. You need to buy spell books from vendors though to get most of them, I haven't found much variety out in the wild in random loot at all.

GhaleonEB

Yep that's what I'm afraid of.

The assassin might be a good idea, but I already played a sneak character :/

I recommend giving Illusion some love. I'm currently playing a mace and shield orc who uses Illusion spells heavily (namely, calming and frenzy spells) to manage battles. It's a lot of fun just sitting back and making fights break out, then heading in for mop up duty.

I even played a second archer character, with Illusion mixed in. It added a lot more than I was expecting to the mix; being able to have guys fight each other while I managed the battle from afar and then finished off the survivors felt great. I called it the puppet master build.

Mr.City

I've been playing this game a lot lately. I've been playing as two characters, an Orc heavy armor/ max physical damage build and a Dark Elf thief/ assassin type. Good God, the thief build is so overpowered; sneak attacks one shot most enemies.

I'm still playing my Archer/Illusionist... beat the main quest a while ago but I'm still just exploring - I'm pretty convinced it's the most fun combination in the game. That being said, it's a little crazy at this point how powerful I am; I feel I really should increase the game difficulty but I might just wait until I make a new character (probably a mage but with some more magic mods like Midas).

I'm 100 Archery and 90 something Illusion at level 45 or so... I have a good chunk of points in Alteration, Alchemy, and Enchanting as well. I just wear a full suit of glass armor; helmet and gauntlets enchanted with Fortify Archery, chest with Fortify Illusion, boots with Carry Weight, and then ring and necklace with Fortify Archery as well. My Daedric Bow isn't enchanted, it's just improved up a tiny bit (Exquisite I think) but only because I'm intentionally limiting myself - I already one-shot practically everything or only take a handful of shots to kill Dragons/Mammoths (god-forbid I poison my arrows, then it's just silly).

I usually sneak around dungeons keeping Muffle and Invisibility up between spurts of Detect Life, I was calming and frenzying a lot in dungeons but I can usually just shoot down most enemies now without worrying too much about it. Now-a-days calm is coming in most handy in the wilderness keeping surprise animal attacks at bay or for simply clearing out Giant Camps quickly.

I'd probably stop playing with my wood elf archer if it wasn't so satisfying to sneak in and kill enemies in one or two shots. The sounds of archery really add a lot too. I do some shield and one hand melee when I just want to bash things from time to time. It satisfies another need of mine. I have the difficulty on expert but I'm on the verge of bumping it up.

Volimar

I'd probably stop playing with my wood elf archer if it wasn't so satisfying to sneak in and kill enemies in one or two shots. The sounds of archery really add a lot too. I do some shield and one hand melee when I just want to bash things from time to time. It satisfies another need of mine. I have the difficulty on expert but I'm on the verge of bumping it up.

I'm not even level 50 and I'm already god tier even on highest difficulty with my archer character. The problem though is that if I handicap myself by using weaker weapons etc. I'm too squishy because I didn't put any perks in defensive slots. So it's pretty much take everything out in 1-2 hits or take way too much damage...

HildyB

I did pure conjuration mage. When I did fight I only used conjured weapons. Was very fun summoning other minions to fight for me and only use staves or summoned weapons in my own one on one combat.

Top Bottom