• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Seanspeed

Banned
6887952745_04e0c63bab_b.jpg

FYI, I did pay the full price on this unfinished product, and I encourage people not to do so.

Sounds like you enjoyed it enough to get all 50 acheivements.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
In my experience, the more you'll focus on hunting achievements, the more easily you'll become frustrated with a game's flaws (see: me and Halo Reach's You Ate All the Chips).

Willectro

Banned
Agreed. It's like we are playing a paied beta. Why should we pay for an incomplete beta? We should just download it off BitTorrent. Refuse to buy it untill game is fully polished and bug free.

Worked for Minecraft.

I enjoyed Skyrim enough to have no problem paying for it. I can deal with the bugs just based on how huge and amazing the game was.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I totally suck at this game. I've gone mage, for some reason and it seems beyond under powered. I can't kill anything, even some wolfs are kicking my ass.

I'm thinking I should respec so i can run around like an idiot with a sword + shield. I did already start the, I doubt it's really a spoiler,
mage quest thingy at winterhold?
. So part of me is feeling like i'm somewhat stuck with it.

dual cast. get mana regen and destruction fortify gear.

i recommend you start with sword and shield, max smith, enchant and alchemy then craft a set of gear that grants you 0 magicka cost for destruction spell.

Loxley

Agreed. It's like we are playing a paied beta. Why should we pay for an incomplete beta? We should just download it off BitTorrent. Refuse to buy it untill game is fully polished and bug free.

How advocating game piracy on one of the biggest video game message boards on the internet to justify your point makes sense to you is a complete mystery to me.

Since you clearly have the skill and know-how to make a game on the scale of Skyrim completely bug-free within it's allotted development time, I'm sure Bethesda is avidly awaiting your application in the mail.

As successful as Bethesda are, they're not Blizzard or Valve. They don't have a constant stream of money coming in to to fuel years of development and beta testing. They need to set deadlines and meet release dates because Zenimax have these pesky things called stock-holders and investors who like making money. They do what they can in the time they're given, but eventually their games have to come out because the cash-flow slows down. If they keep delaying games despite not having a Steam or World of Warcraft to keep feeding them, they'll become the next Pandemic :p

VALKYRAY

Banned
as a matter of fact i did apply for a position in bethesda yesterday. if i get hired, i will do my best to make their games bug free. its such a shame that this awesome game is filled with flaws. its like a hot chick with bad breath, such a trun off.

as a matter of fact i did apply for a position in bethesda yesterday. if i get hired, i will do my best to make their games bug free. its such a shame that this awesome game is filled with flaws. its like a hot chick with bad breath, such a trun off.

This post is awesome. A real trun on.

I'm about 125 hours into this game and I've only completed 2 questlines. I'm still discovering some big locations, a few hours ago I just stumbled upon Labyrinthian, and I haven't been to Falkreath yet. This game is so big. I had beaten Fallout 3, with all DLC, much much sooner than this and I am pretty close to the end of New Vegas, including 3 DLC, with about 100 hours clocked. I can't believe this game is going to get bigger.

I've started playing a dual-wielding character, but now I'm having all sorts of drama when it comes to weapon switching. Basically, quick-keyed weapons go to the right hand, and quick-keyed spells go to the left, so I'm constantly having to bring up the favorites menu to reequip a left-handed weapon. Trying to cast spells during the middle of battle, and then switching back to dual-wield, is pretty cumbersome.

Is there any way to fix this? Is there a mod that allows you to quick-key a pair of weapons?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

People from Bethesda read this thread and this forum, daily. After your rant and support for pirating Skyrim instead of buying it, a game the company has put their heart and soul into for years and are very proud of, I don't see you having any chance of getting hired by them. Next time think before you speak.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Best of luck to you, bud..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've started playing a dual-wielding character, but now I'm having all sorts of drama when it comes to weapon switching. Basically, quick-keyed weapons go to the right hand, and quick-keyed spells go to the left, so I'm constantly having to bring up the favorites menu to reequip a left-handed weapon. Trying to cast spells during the middle of battle, and then switching back to dual-wield, is pretty cumbersome.

Is there any way to fix this? Is there a mod that allows you to quick-key a pair of weapons?
There's no perfect solution that I know of. I've just gotten fast at using the favorites menu. If you happen to be dual-wielding the same item in each hand, you can press the hotkey for that item twice to dual wield it.

There's no perfect solution that I know of. I've just gotten fast at using the favorites menu. If you happen to be dual-wielding the same item in each hand, you can press the hotkey for that item twice to dual wield it.

But then I keep running into the bug (?) where if I have more than one identical weapon in my inventory, it will periodically lose its hotkey assignment. Am I the only one that gets this?

They'll still be favorite-ed, but unassigned.

Volimar

But then I keep running into the bug (?) where if I have more than one identical weapon in my inventory, it will periodically lose its hotkey assignment. Am I the only one that gets this?

They'll still be favorite-ed, but unassigned.

Yep. Rename your weapons when you enchant them.

GhaleonEB

Finally got up to smithing Daedric armor for the first time. Had enough hearts for a new mace, shield and armor, which blend very nicely with the ebony. I was disappointed that my mace does identical damage as the ebony one, though. I thought it would go up.

My enchanting was higher to the fire damage is greater, so it was still worth making. But still. :\

The gap between orcish and ebony armor on the Smithing perk tree is too long, and the gap from ebony to Daedric too small. Should have been spaced more evenly.

nHDR

Banned
I really love this series, Morrowind is my favorite game of all-time. With that said, I've cooled a bit on Skyrim lately. The presentation is impressive and all, but I miss some of the little things that made Morrowind so good. Its a shame that the guild quests weren't too long, and some of them were pretty generic. The main issue I've had is with looting: It stinks! Once I got Daedric Armor I didn't have any reason to pick up anything else. I'm somewhere close to the end of the main quest, just want to finish it so I can make an Argonian Dark Brotherhood assassin.

I think Morrowind is still king at the end of the day.

Volimar

Started smithing/enchanting banish daggers.... now I need to find someone wealthy enough to buy them.

Thieves guild fences and perks in speech are about the only advice I can give. If you find a merchant that can train you, train and the money gets added to their till and you can sell stuff to them and get your money back.

Volimar

I really love this series, Morrowind is my favorite game of all-time. With that said, I've cooled a bit on Skyrim lately. The presentation is impressive and all, but I miss some of the little things that made Morrowind so good. Its a shame that the guild quests weren't too long, and some of them were pretty generic. The main issue I've had is with looting: It stinks! Once I got Daedric Armor I didn't have any reason to pick up anything else. I'm somewhere close to the end of the main quest, just want to finish it so I can make an Argonian Dark Brotherhood assassin.

I think Morrowind is still king at the end of the day.

I'd love to play Morrowind again. I feel like I missed so much from my only playthrough (didn't even get to the end of the MQ before my friend wanted his copy back...).

Fox the Sly

Is asking for Steam coupons bannable in this thread? I didn't see anything in the OP. I can finally afford the game, but would rather save whatever dough I can, obviously. :p Too bad I missed out on the last Steam sale.

Hahahaha, wow man.

kylej

Banned
Goddamnit. I cleared Mzinchaleft a while ago, just now got the Locate Grimsever quest from that chick in Riften, but when I went back to the Mzinchaleft exit elevator to quickly warp down into the basement and pick up the sword, the game put a gate up in front of the elevator... are you serious? Even though it's cleared I have to run through that entire thing again? C'mon Skyrim.

Quick question about the Thieves Guild/Nightingales.

I got to the point in the questline where I get the Nightingale armor. At this point in my game I'm not ready to proceed with that quest and just want to use the armor in the rest of the game. Can I leave the Hall and come back later?

Edit: Seems you can! So far no glitches but I made a save back there just in case.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Quick question about the Thieves Guild/Nightingales.

I got to the point in the questline where I get the Nightingale armor. At this point in my game I'm not ready to proceed with that quest and just want to use the armor in the rest of the game. Can I leave the Hall and come back later?

Edit: Seems you can! So far no glitches but I made a save back there just in case.

Iirc it used to bug previously if you left the hall (next quest wouldn't work properly) but I think they fixed that.

I'd recommend continuing the questline until you're supposed to enter the
Twilight Sepulcher
and then leave it at that.

Iirc it used to bug previously if you left the hall (next quest wouldn't work properly) but I think they fixed that.

Twilight Sepulcher

Good to know. This armor is awesome.

30 hours in and I haven't killed a single person. Core stealth is actually not-half-bad in Skyrim. A few AI oddities aside, of course.

Kaiken

Banned
So did that last patch fix the Thieves Guild questline glitch where you leave Riften and it disappears?
Would I be able to go back or do I still need to start from scratch?

GhaleonEB

So, Ulfric is toast and his clothes are bound for my trophy mannequin at home. The fight through Windhelm was a lot of fun, the winding alleys made for some great places to toss packs of guys with Unrelenting Force around. I paralyzed Ulfric, so he delivered his last lines lying straight on his back. How appropriate.

As Commander what's-his-face heads out the door for his speech, I decide to loot the Palace of Kings before joining him. While looting the second upstairs section, I come across a room that has every important person in town hiding in it. The Jarl prisoners, shop keepers, nobles, etc. all huddled up in this little plush living quarters. I chat up a few of them, and they seem to think all is normal.

I'm on my way out the door when some snobby bitch makes a remark about the Empire. That will not do. I turn around and hit the entire pack of them - over a dozen people - with Unrelenting Force. Naturally, they all turn hostile. Assuming they're all invincible, I head on out, thinking that was that.

Nope. They follow me into the throne room, and then outside, still hostile and after my head. I expect a brawl to break out with all the Imperial troops gathered for the speech and all, but no. They are all cheerfully ignoring the fight. I weave in and out of the crowd while General Tallius gives his speech. The only part I make out over all the pounding on my shield is something about putting down any residual rebellions. Hey dude, over here!

Finally I decide I want some help, and bust out Frenzy on the soldiers all lined up. Two casts is enough to hit the entire pack, including the pack chasing me. Now I have over 30 guys all brawling in the middle of Tallius' speech.

And he's still giving it.

Edit: the brawl ended when my spell wore off. All the guys that were originally pissed at me left me alone, and the leaders of the Imperials - Tallius and his legates - were all after my head. No yield accepted, I leave town, enter the stable owners home, then head back out. Battle music is still playing. Approaching Windhelm down the walkway again, I run into General Tallius who alone has trekked out to greet me, sword drawn. I lured him up the steps to the guard lookout and launched him 200 feet to the ice below using Unrelenging Force. Popped him straight up into the air, too, dude really went flying.

I think I'm going to need to reload. :lol

Edit 2: I thought I'd go ahead and delete one or two 'bad' saves since I initiated the shitstorm, before loading one up. Turns out there was somehow only one autosave depite going through multiple loading cells, and that's the one I nuked. The last one was near the end of a dungeon I hit on the way to Windhelm. So I need to do the entire battle over again. Well, it was fun, and murdering Stormcloaks does not get old.

Only, my save was before the boss of this dungeon. And I just killed him again, and ran into the creepiest glitch in the game so far. Video in the morning. :lol

Twilight Sepulcher

Take this advice! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm still loving the item that I'd have to get rid of during that leg of the quest. I don't ever want to give it up!

Edit: GhaleonB- Spoilers man.

lil smoke

Banned
So, Ulfric is toast and his clothes are bound for my trophy mannequin at home. The fight through Windhelm was a lot of fun, the winding alleys made for some great places to toss packs of guys with Unrelenting Force around. I paralyzed Ulfric, so he delivered his last lines lying straight on his back. How appropriate.

As Commander what's-his-face heads out the door for his speech, I decide to loot the Palace of Kings before joining him. While looting the second upstairs section, I come across a room that has every important person in town hiding in it. The Jarl prisoners, shop keepers, nobles, etc. all huddled up in this little plush living quarters. I chat up a few of them, and they seem to think all is normal.

I'm on my way out the door when some snobby bitch makes a remark about the Empire. That will not do. I turn around and hit the entire pack of them - over a dozen people - with Unrelenting Force. Naturally, they all turn hostile. Assuming they're all invincible, I head on out, thinking that was that.

Nope. They follow me into the throne room, and then outside, still hostile and after my head. I expect a brawl to break out with all the Imperial troops gathered for the speech and all, but no. They are all cheerfully ignoring the fight. I weave in and out of the crowd while General Tallius gives his speech. The only part I make out over all the pounding on my shield is something about putting down any residual rebellions. Hey dude, over here!

Finally I decide I want some help, and bust out Frenzy on the soldiers all lined up. Two casts is enough to hit the entire pack, including the pack chasing me. Now I have over 30 guys all brawling in the middle of Tallius' speech.

And he's still giving it.

Edit: the brawl ended when my spell wore off. All the guys that were originally pissed at me left me alone, and the leaders of the Imperials - Tallius and his legates - were all after my head. No yield accepted, I leave town, enter the stable owners home, then head back out. Battle music is still playing. Approaching Windhelm down the walkway again, I run into General Tallius who alone has trekked out to greet me, sword drawn. I lured him up the steps to the guard lookout and launched him 200 feet to the ice below using Unrelenging Force. Popped him straight up into the air, too, dude really went flying.

I think I'm going to need to reload. :lol

Edit 2: I thought I'd go ahead and delete one or two 'bad' saves since I initiated the shitstorm, before loading one up. Turns out there was somehow only one autosave depite going through multiple loading cells, and that's the one I nuked. The last one was near the end of a dungeon I hit on the way to Windhelm. So I need to do the entire battle over again. Well, it was fun, and murdering Stormcloaks does not get old.

Only, my save was before the boss of this dungeon. And I just killed him again, and ran into the creepiest glitch in the game so far. Video in the morning. :lol
That is hilarious. I just finished that battle, took me quite awhile to figure out how to get into the darn building, while realizing the Stormcloak were respawning. All my running around in anxiety trying to get in resulted in my one and only companion Benor getting killed to my dismay, of course Brother Verulus, my other follower wielding nothing but a silly pocket knife and some weak shock spell, did not help at all, even with constant courage spells.

Felt good after it was all done. Benor's body still lays at the entrance of Windhelm and it is somewhat nice to see the residents occasionally consoling his naked cold body laid across the steps.

Unfortunately the city just feels so cold and gray, I don't know if it's in me to do further quests here.

KorrZ

So...shit. I'm trying to finish up the Oblivion Walker achievement and I've only got one Daedric quest left to do. The Whispering Door... problem is, the innkeeper is dead from upwards of 50 hours ago. Ysolda seems to have taken over the job but has no option to ask about rumors. Balgruuf and his kid won't trigger any dialogue and the door itself does nothing for me. I can't pickpocket any keys. Is there any other way for me to trigger this quest or am I just completely screwed?

GhaleonEB

So, here's the glitch I mentioned. I used paralysis on the guy, and my last swing landed right when he started to get up.

He got up anyways. I was pretty freaked out for a moment since he was really powerful. I forgot to show that I could actually search him - that's why he's naked, I'd already grabbed his robe.

Two pics from the melee after taking Windhelm:

Sitting back watching the brawl. I couldn't get a good pic that showed everyone:

IMG_6474.jpg

It's over, and the leaders of the Imperials come after me for starting it:

IMG_6475.jpg

The Imperial soldiers are actually lining right back up for the rest of the speech, even though Tallius is coming after me.

People side with Imperials????

Skyrim belongs to the nords!

jk I don't care much for either but I'm always down for some good old-fashioned rebel action

GhaleonEB

People side with Imperials????

I played the Stormcloak side of things with an earlier character. Having now completed both, I would opt to side with the Imperials on the war. They're assholes, and in many ways doing pretty terrible things. But the Stormcloaks are racist assholes, and I don't roll that way.

Pretty sad that the events you experience on either side of the civil war are pretty much identical, right down to the side missions. Courier, prison break, wagon, the works. Very weak stuff, Bethesda.

I played the Stormcloak side of things with an earlier character. Having now completed both, I would opt to side with their side on the war. They're assholes, and in many ways doing pretty terrible things. But the Stormcloaks are racist assholes, I don't roll that way.
True but I feel the racism is an essential part of the Elder Scrolls universe. :p

I must say. After modding and starting over as melee / archery character made me enjoy this game multiple times more than my time with my first character (caster).
Also I found that more methodical and slow playstyle helped a lot. Minimal amounts of fast travelling and more relaxed way of picking up and finishing quests is the way to go.

Although me being in the bed with a harsh flu for most of the past two weeks, with nothing else to do, might also be part of why this game finally clicked with me. God I have played so goddamn much lately.

Volimar

I played the Stormcloak side of things with an earlier character. Having now completed both, I would opt to side with them on the war. They're assholes, and in many ways doing pretty terrible things. But the Stormcloaks are racist assholes, I don't roll that way.

Pretty sad that the events you experience on either side of the civil war are pretty much identical, right down to the side missions. Courier, prison break, wagon, the works. Very weak stuff, Bethesda.

I helped the Stormcloaks on my first character. Now we're going to open talks with the Redguards in Hammerfell and and make those Thalmor bastards pay.

FOR TALOS!

Top Bottom