• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Forkball

Finished the Companions quest line. Overall it had an interesting story with likeable characters, I hope the other major quest lines are as good as this one. Getting to the final area was pretty epic too. It was the first time I had traveled that far north and I had no idea what to expect. It was a bit hard to navigate due to all the steep mountains and the blizzard blocking the view of the distance. I was on a horse and decided to just tail it when I ran into a frost troll. I tried to run past him but then all of a sudden a huge ice blast almost hits me. Turns out a dragon is right behind me. Normally I'd jump at the opportunity, but I just wanted to get to where I was going. So a dragon is attacking me right on a cliff with a frost troll coming at me, so I decide to see if I can jump to the next cliff with my horse. I jump and... completely miss it. I land maybe a hundred feet below and my horse dies from the fall but I survive. I keep close to the cliffside but the dragon is still following me and he lets out another frost attack. Eventually he gets bored with me and I manage to get to the tomb.

This game is amazing, bravo Bethesda. Though you could have made it crash less.

Darkman M

Finished the Companions quest line. Overall it had an interesting story with likeable characters, I hope the other major quest lines are as good as this one. Getting to the final area was pretty epic too. It was the first time I had traveled that far north and I had no idea what to expect. It was a bit hard to navigate due to all the steep mountains and the blizzard blocking the view of the distance. I was on a horse and decided to just tail it when I ran into a frost troll. I tried to run past him but then all of a sudden a huge ice blast almost hits me. Turns out a dragon is right behind me. Normally I'd jump at the opportunity, but I just wanted to get to where I was going. So a dragon is attacking me right on a cliff with a frost troll coming at me, so I decide to see if I can jump to the next cliff with my horse. I jump and... completely miss it. I land maybe a hundred feet below and my horse dies from the fall but I survive. I keep close to the cliffside but the dragon is still following me and he lets out another frost attack. Eventually he gets bored with me and I manage to get to the tomb.

This game is amazing, bravo Bethesda. Though you could have made it crash less.

Thieves guild quest are amazing, the best Ive played so far and Ive done DB and companions. I thought for sure DB would be my top one, saving the imperial/stormcloak factions for later.

Echoplx

Thieves Guild was a HUGE letdown, there was barely any actual thieving and it was pretty much just filler for another quest line.

Echoplx

Disagree.
Care to elaborate? What was so good about it? They were literally all randomly generated go here and steal x from y person quests, only the first one involving the meadery was good.

Did you complete all the quest? Im doing a shit load of stealing and heist quest right now just to get the last quest.
Yeah a shit load of 'infinite quests' as Beth likes to call them, if that's what you think makes a good Theives Guild I suggest you go back and play Oblivion, now THAT had some crazy heists.

Darkman M

Care to elaborate? What was so good about it? They were literally all randomly generated go here and steal x from y person quests, only the first one involving the meadery was good.

Yeah a shit load of 'infinite quests' as Beth likes to call them, if that's what you think makes a good Theives Guild I suggest you go back and play Oblivion, now THAT had some crazy heists.

I played oblivion from the day it was released till the day Skyrim dropped, ill pass.

cackhyena

I haven't finished, but I'm finding them to be very good so far. The extensive search for whatserface in that one dungeon and how it all played out was great. I'm only a few past that, but they are fun to me. *shrugs*

Echoplx

The problem is you don't have point, i said the thieves guild was my favorite faction so far, and i don't need to explain shit to you.

I don't have a point? So my point about the Thieves Guild being better in Oblivion isn't a point?

Thanks for letting me know.

Echoplx

I haven't finished, but I'm finding them to be very good so far. The extensive search for whatserface in that one dungeon and how it all played out was great. I'm only a few past that, but they are fun to me. *shrugs*
That's the problem, how is that thieving? In what way does that fit the guild? Like I said it was just filler for that quest line, which has nothing to do with the Thieves Guild other then some poorly thought out tie to 'luck'.

When the fuck did i even mention Oblivion's thieves guild?
Surely you can't be this dumb? I compared it to Oblivion because OBLIVION DID IT BETTER. What's next, are you going to tell me I can't make that comparison?

The Thieves Guild Heist quests aren't just infinite. Do enough of them and
after about 20 of them they unlock further proper 'Special Job Request' missions that further the Thieves Guild story.

The Thieves Guild Heist quests aren't just infinite. Do enough of them and
after about 20 of them they unlock further proper 'Special Job Request' missions that further the Thieves Guild story.

What? So.. which ones? There are two people that give infiniquests, does it matter which? OR what type of job I choose? Just keep doing them? I thought it all ended rather abruptly...

Does it rain or thunder storm? Or just snow?

At the very least it rains, though it's not really hmm... It doesn't feel rainy. I'm not sure, they did a poor job capturing the mood of rain in this game, which is oh so odd since they have done so in the past and do the snow so well currently. Not sure about thunder.

Thieves Guild was a HUGE letdown, there was barely any actual thieving and it was pretty much just filler for another quest line.

Those infinite quests need to be done to trigger 5 more non-random quests. Doing 5 random jobs in Winterhold, Solitude, Markath, or Whiterun triggers a unique quest. Do them all to get the last one.

Edit:
Yes and I did them all and restored the guild fully. Not worth it at all.
Oh, okay. Yeah, those quests are tedious. But you can't say they don't involve thievery.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Feels good being able to fuck up the larger more dangerous wildlife with just my Legendary grade Ebony Dagger. I also steal their souls 'cause fuck them!

Luthos

Loving my mage so far.

Only level 7, with basically just the first level spells, but I find myself staring at my favorites list unsure of how I want to approach battles. So much versatility.

I kinda wish conjured weapons damage was based on conjuration, but yea. It's not like I have to put perks in one-handed or whatever. I still find the bound weapon spells really cool. Though it seems I'm gonna level up really quick if I'm getting skills up in most magic trees and a few weapon trees through bound weapon spells.

Khezu

The storm call shout makes it thunder storm, the second and third rank in particular are really cool, the clouds in the sky form a really cool hurricane funnel formation and lightning zaps everyone with a nice sound.

I think its past the point where we have to spoiler shouts.

Zeliard

Loving my mage so far.

Only level 7, with basically just the first level spells, but I find myself staring at my favorites list unsure of how I want to approach battles. So much versatility.

I kinda wish conjured weapons damage was based on conjuration, but yea. It's not like I have to put perks in one-handed or whatever. I still find the bound weapon spells really cool. Though it seems I'm gonna level up really quick if I'm getting skills up in most magic trees and a few weapon trees through bound weapon spells.

The Bound weapons are more useful for the two excellent utility perks attached to them than for outright damage-dealing, though they can be nice to get some decent shots in while waiting for mana to regen.

Soul Stealer is one of the most useful perks in the entire game for obvious reasons, and Oblivion Binding is also fantastic since it one-shots anything that's a summon. It renders enemy summons completely trivial (and helps you easily deal with an enemy turning one of your summons on you).

It also turns enemy zombies against their owners though I haven't a chance to try that out yet.

Echoplx

Oh, okay. Yeah, those quests are tedious. But you can't day they don't involve thievery.

Well sure but I didn't think anyone was crazy enough to consider infinite quests entertaining.

Think about some of the crazy heists you pulled in Oblivion and how awesome and mysterious the Guild itself was, even discovering it and completing the first mission was epic.

Then you get to Skyrim and it's a bunch of wankers in a sewer handing out infinite quests that leads to a completely unrelated quest line that feels really poorly thought out.

GavinGT

Banned
Code:
Current Players	  Peak Today	 	    Game

119,409	    226,089	 	The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I've never seen a game more active than this on Steam before, and I imagine it was even higher launch week.

Maybe Portal 2?

Did you miss the news about Skyrim shattering the concurrent user record on Steam?

NBtoaster

Just got Sanguine's Rose. This guy is OP. Killed a dragon in a few swipes. Now I finally have something to usew against frost dragons which raped me before ;D

It is strange why Sanguine's artefact is summoning the servants of Mehrunes Dagon though :x /obsessed smelly nerd

Luthos

The Bound weapons are more useful for the two excellent utility perks attached to them than for outright damage-dealing, though they can be nice to get some decent shots in while waiting for mana to regen.

Soul Stealer is one of the most useful perks in the entire game for obvious reasons, and Oblivion Binding is also fantastic since it one-shots anything that's a summon. It renders enemy summons completely trivial (and helps you easily deal with an enemy turning one of your summons on you).

It also turns enemy zombies against their owners though I haven't a chance to try that out yet.

Wow, I just checked those out. Sounds awesome. Will definitely have to get those. Is the Soul Stealer a normal 60s effect?

Zeliard

Wow, I just checked those out. Sounds awesome. Will definitely have to get those. Is the Soul Stealer a normal 60s effect?

Ya it casts Soul Trap on the target and if you kill them within 60 seconds you steal their soul. If you're a mage and are going to do any enchanting whatsoever (which you should if you're a mage), it's absurdly useful.

You'll be filling up gems with ease, allowing you to add various nice enchantments as well as refill your staves. You can also make good money by enchanting stuff and then just selling it.

TheExodu5

Banned
For physical characters: only do 1 second Soul Trap enchantments. It only uses up charges when the enemy actually dies, so there's no reason to make it any longer than that, provided you're killing the enemy with the Soul Traped weapon.

For anyone who completed the dark brotherhood quest storyline, who felt that Oblivion's was better? I think Oblivion's had more fun and creative quests compared to Skyrim's and please let me explain before I get flamed to Oblivion :) I like the ideas that they had in Skyrim's DB storyline
Assassinating the emperor is freaking awesome, as is murdering someone at their own wedding
but the way that your character would pull it off would leave not much freedom during the actual quest. ex. both quests I just mentioned had no special thing to it tbh. It was simply go up and do the job. Sure, you had to sneak around, but that gets easy when you have a high sneak level and have an intelligence above a small child's. I mean, you wouldn't have the courage to look at me straight in the face (through your monitor) and tell me that that one DB quest in Oblivion that had you try and kill 6 people in a locked house was not more fun than any of the ones in Skyrim.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is: Oblivion= meh ideas, good storyline, great execution. Skyrim= great ideas, good/great storyline, poor execution. Skyrim's ideas look beautiful and seem fun to do on paper, but once you actually go out and do it you see that it is quite linear. The chef thing, for ex, was totally scripted. And having X (you know who) just sitting there waiting for you doesn't make it as great as if X was unsuspecting of you. Also, there were fewer quests than in Oblivion. I think it took me about 4 to 5 hours to do them whereas Oblivion took closer to 8-10. One more thing: the characters you met in the sanctuary in Oblivion were much more fleshed out. I remember doing side quests for Ocheeva and reading up on how the vamp assassin hated the blonde one because she would put garlic in the food. It seemed more lively tbh. Anyone agree?

TheExodu5

Banned
For anyone who completed the dark brotherhood quest storyline, who felt that Oblivion's was better? I think Oblivion's had more fun and creative quests compared to Skyrim's and please let me explain before I get flamed to Oblivion :) I like the ideas that they had in Skyrim's DB storyline
Assassinating the emperor is freaking awesome, as is murdering someone at their own wedding
but the way that your character would pull it off would leave not much freedom during the actual quest. ex. both quests I just mentioned had no special thing to it tbh. It was simply go up and do the job. Sure, you had to sneak around, but that gets easy when you have a high sneak level and have an intelligence above a small child's. I mean, you wouldn't have the courage to look at me straight in the face (through your monitor) and tell me that that one DB quest in Oblivion that had you try and kill 6 people in a locked house was not more fun than any of the ones in Skyrim.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is: Oblivion= meh ideas, good storyline, great execution. Skyrim= great ideas, good/great storyline, poor execution. Skyrim's ideas look beautiful and seem fun to do on paper, but once you actually go out and do it you see that it is quite linear. The chef thing, for ex, was totally scripted. And having X (you know who) just sitting there waiting for you doesn't make it as great as if X was unsuspecting of you. Also, there were fewer quests than in Oblivion. I think it took me about 4 to 5 hours to do them whereas Oblivion took closer to 8-10. One more thing: the characters you met in the sanctuary in Oblivion were much more fleshed out. I remember doing side quests for Ocheeva and reading up on how the vamp assassin hated the blonde one because she would put garlic in the food. It seemed more lively tbh. Anyone agree?

I haven't actually gone through Skyrim's DB storyline, but I have doubts that it could top the one in Oblivion. The DB Oblivion storyline was the highlight of that game, for me.

Darkman M

I definitely preferred Oblivion's DB hands down, still can't go back and play it after skyrim though.

Mik2121

Alright so... I just got my house in Whiterun. I have no money for furniture right now but there's a chest next to the bed on the second floor. Is it safe to leave all my stuff (books) that I don't need to brink around, and will it stay there forever or eventually disappear?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I will never forget the one DB quest in Oblivion where you're in the cabin and have to kill everyone else off, having them all blame eachother and go crazy. Highlight of the entire game for me.

Almost completed the companion's guild, haven't started the college(or even BEEN to that area yet, goddamn), got glitched near the start of the thieves guild, and so far the DB has been great.

Tenck

I feel like I am seriously over my head. Leveling up Alchemy, Smithing, Sneakyness, light armor, and Archery. Don't think I will get the most out of all of them by the time I finish the main quest.

MedIC86

For people interested in finishing the thieves guild properly, or how to become
guild master
of the thieves guild.

After you finish the nightingale stuff, it seems like the story is over. this is not the case. You have to do 5 jobs from Vex and Delvin for every major city they give (Whiterun/Solitude/Windhelm/Markath/Riften) it does not matter if you do the same job 5 times or do 5 different ones. best way to do this is just to decline and accept just as long till you get quests in the city you still need to do. After doing 5 quests for one city you get a special request. After you've done all the special requests (5 in total / 5 city's) you get the quest "Under new management" and voila

Top Bottom