• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
what the fuck.
DnOsI.png

do they not put sleeves inside the cases anymore? lol i opened the game out of the shrink wrap and the sleeve was just wrapped around it.

I know that feel.

Mine on 360 was the exact same, confused the hell outta me.

That quest is awesome too.

Are you attempting to leave before you talk to
Molag Bal
or something?

I'm not crazy promise. :) The only reason I posted it was because I researched the quest on the two wikis and then found this noted on the bug list. The door to get out of the house is locked and requires a key, and this only occurs after you talk to
Molag Bal
. I didn't want to check the wikis but I was forced to when I searched the whole place and found nothing, no levers, keys, etc.

I was just trying to help other people, but it seems that this is an uncommon issue rather than a common one.

V-Gief

FUS..RO...DAH!!!

I heard that waiting for 30 days (game time) may fix the bug because it will reset certain perimeters in the dungeon you need to go to complete that quest, but I haven't tested it yet.
Shit, might have to try that out just to rule it out if nothing else. Thanks for the heads up!

J-Rzez

So, where does this fit in people's GOTY lists?

I don't see how I can't give my personal GOTY to it. Uncharted 3 was awesome, but not as good as 2. And Arkham City was amazing, but Skyrim pulls me in like no other game. I'll be playing it for a long time to come.

Probably won't be in my top 5. Not that it's a bad game content wise, but how they pushed this game out in the pathetic state it's in with crashes/bugs takes it off my list. I should have known better since I knew Bethesda's track record. But I thought there would be no way this game would be in the shape it is for a game released in 2011, especially their flagship, and not to mention how obvious it was that it's a console port. The fatal bugs/glitches in this game are killer.

Skyrim has made me realize that TES series has some of the best lore and world building of any game ever.
I think only The Legacy of Kain series beats it out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Who buys almost anything near whiterun? Or at least jugs an plates.

edit: oh, general store.

why is the resale value so low??

I got a PS3 not long ago, and it seems this game has been getting alot of attention. I'm not usually into these kinds of games and the people who play them have always kind of creeped me out, as they seem to put hundreds of hours into it, get obsessed, and memorize the world and places as if its reality. But thinking of getting this. Have never played anything in the series. So this is basically GTA with dragons? Is it online? I thought it wasnt but people in this thread are talking like it is.

Yes it's GTA with dragons. You ride around on a stolen horse, kill elven hookers, sell skooma (fantasy version of drugs yo) and kill skooma dealers because hey scarface was pretty cool, go to the gym to just improve your character cosmetically, and eventually you get a jetpack.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Looks like I got my first quest breaking bug in Darkness Returns.

Noctural goes under the well at the end of her speech, and the arrow just sits there, the objective doesn't complete and Karliah is there with her arms in the air...
really sucks.

Okay, I forced myself past this glitch by waiting 1 hour after it happened. It fixed itself for a second then after a quest conversation started acting funny again. I waited one more time for an hour and everything was working.

Wallach

Skyrim has made me realize that TES series has some of the best lore and world building of any game ever.
I think only The Legacy of Kain series beats it out.

Hah, my brother said this very thing not two days ago. I don't quite agree with it, but I do really love the LoK lore. It was so rewarding to play the later games because they played on the world from the original Legacy of Kain so well.

But yeah, TES lore is awesome and one of the primary reasons I love exploring in these games. It makes the places you discover feel genuine.

Ezduo

Banned
Some hired bandits came up to me and roughed me up pretty good, when I killed them I found a contract by someone named Rjelo (spelling?) who says I stole from them. Anyone remember who this is? I've been careful about my stealing to do it only when I'm completely hidden and no one has ever made a scene when I stole something from them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Probably won't be in my top 5. Not that it's a bad game content wise, but how they pushed this game out in the pathetic state it's in with crashes/bugs takes it off my list. I should have known better since I knew Bethesda's track record. But I thought there would be no way this game would be in the shape it is for a game released in 2011, especially their flagship, and not to mention how obvious it was that it's a console port. The fatal bugs/glitches in this game are killer.
It's not actually possible to make a game this big without bugs and glitches happening. I honestly don't think there's a developer at all that could make this game without a lot of things not working.

VandalD

Definitely time to bump it up to Master. Between Breton 25% magic resist, alteration 30% magic resist and changing to light armor, nothing really hurts me anymore. I haven't even used the Dragon Skin greater power. Kind of wish I was playing on Master from the start, but playing unarmored was enough of a hobbling to make things tough through the main quest.

Found the "super hard"
dragon priest, Krosis
some of you talked about. Between Impact and all my magic resistance, it was a joke of a fight. I show a lot of shouts near the end of the video, if you don't want to see them. Was scrolling through to see if I needed to actually spend a dragon soul.

Definitely time to bump it up to Master. Between Breton 25% magic resist, alteration 30% magic resist and changing to light armor, nothing really hurts me anymore. I haven't even used the Dragon Skin greater power. Kind of wish I was playing on Master from the start, but playing unarmored was enough of a hobbling to make things tough through the main quest.

Found the "super hard"
dragon priest, Krosis
some of you talked about. Between Impact and all my magic resistance, it was a joke of a fight. I show a lot of shouts near the end of the video, if you don't want to see them. Was scrolling through to see if I needed to actually spend a dragon soul.

I'm playing a Khajhit Thief type on Adept and have been having a fun, yet challenging time.

Darklord

Banned
What exactly is the difference between light and heavy armour in this game? I want to play a one-handed/magic class but I'm not sure what armour what suit that. Is light more for range and stealth?

What exactly is the difference between light and heavy armour in this game? I want to play a one-handed/magic class but I'm not sure what armour what suit that. Is light more for range and stealth?

I think the difference is encumbrance and noise. Light armor of course is lighter and makes less noise when sneaking.

scy

Light Armor is lighter and quieter but with less defense overall. There's perks to offset basically any of their differences so it comes down to Light Armor eventually can allow you to Stamina Regen faster and dodge hits sometimes while Heavy Armor reflects damage.

Dresden

Doesn't really matter for mages. Use what you think looks cooler. It's more about what enchants you put on your armor than what type you're wearing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why the fuck don't all my armor show up for sale at the blacksmith?? I can only sell him a few of what I have, the rest doesn't show up in the list.

Izayoi

Banned
Ilive1up said:
who doesn't use the companions?
Companions are awful, especially as a Stealth character. The dog was cute and I felt bad about getting rid of him, but he just doesn't work if you're trying to stay hidden.

Found the "super hard"
dragon priest, Krosis

Is he supposed to be hard? I died the first time fighting him, but then I downed a couple Resist Fire potions and he wasn't able to damage me and I just bowed him to death.

I try not to. I will usually do things solo, and if I find a dungeon particularly difficult, I will run to Whiterun and grab Lydia. Then, once I'm done, back she goes to drink mead all day at my home in Whiterun.

where are the companions? all i know about them is the loading screens. is the skyforge thing worth finding?

I'm fairly certain most inns have a mercenary for hire. Other than that, I have found three or four from doing odd quests. I can link or PM you more details about them if you want.

Companions are awful, especially as a Stealth character. The dog was cute and I felt bad about getting rid of him, but he just doesn't work if you're trying to stay hidden.

All that fucking thing does is bark. For no reason. I wanted to strangle it, but then I remembered Michael Vick.

It isn't online and fuck off.

Why so butthurt? I was honest and said I traditionally was never interested in these types of games, but thinking of picking this up cause of all the attention its getting. And yes, people who memorize every facet and lore of these games creep me out. You dont need to be so fucking offended and angry.

Ok I am getting my ass beat in fist fight brawls
the minstrel and especially the guy you intimidate for the first companions quest
Any advice?
Does armor actually matter?

Really? Brawls are pretty easy...all you have to do is dodge the blows and connect a few punches. Don't try blocking, it won't do you any good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why the fuck don't all my armor show up for sale at the blacksmith?? I can only sell him a few of what I have, the rest doesn't show up in the list.

Because he doesn't want it.

Really? Brawls are pretty easy...all you have to do is dodge the blows and connect a few punches. Don't try blocking, it won't do you any good.
Dodging just makes it more likely to hit someone else and incur a bounty. Just stand your ground and use both hands and you'll win all of them handily.

watershed

Banned
So I bought this game a few days ago and I've put in 5 or so hours so far. I'm really liking it but the PS3 version seems to be having some visual issues like stuttering and lots of pop up. I'm also having an odd audio glitch like a quiet static noise in the background but it doesn't happen when I play other PS3 games. Are these common issues and is there gonna be a patch?

Other than that its pretty fun so far. The world is huge and kinda overwhelming. Are there any good tips for combat? I think that's the least interesting part of the game for me so far.

Angry Grimace

Why so butthurt? I was honest and said I traditionally was never interested in these types of games, but thinking of picking this up cause of all the attention its getting. And yes, people who memorize every facet and lore of these games creep me out. You dont need to be so fucking offended and angry.
"I was honest when I called you all creepy losers, so why u so mad?"

I knew this super defensive, butthurt shitpost was coming in response to the totally called for inevitible backlash. I knew it. I almost was going to predict it in a post, but I figured it would cause you to not post it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So some hired thugs killed me, is it because I keep stealing stuff? I didn't get caught...

VandalD

Rune magic is a cool idea, but it's nearly pointless in how the AI handles things. It's no more stealthy than throwing a fireball at a dude, which makes no sense. I guess its only use is laying down a rune before a fight, regaining your magicka, and then starting the fight. I guess I was expecting more.

Is he supposed to be hard? I died the first time fighting him, but then I downed a couple Resist Fire potions and he wasn't able to damage me and I just bowed him to death.
Supposedly he's a really high level enemy, and some folks here mentioned getting destroyed by him. I guess with him throwing nothing but fireballs, all that matters is your magic/fire resist.

I don't. They just get in the way, get killed, or get into a fight when I'm trying to be stealthy. They're apparently great pack mules though. Maybe I'll use one if I play again as more of a fighter type.

Izayoi

Banned
VandalD said:
Found the "super hard"
dragon priest, Krosis
He was the first one I killed.

At like level 8.

He was supposed to be hard?

Wallach

Rune magic is a cool idea, but it's nearly pointless in how the AI handles things. It's no more stealthy than throwing a fireball at a dude, which makes no sense. I guess its only use is laying down a rune before a fight, regaining your magicka, and then starting the fight. I guess I was expecting more.

Runes probably benefit the most from the Illusion perk of silent casting.

Oh yes they are. Who do I sell it to? The cats outside whiterun?

I'm not sure of all the vendors that are considered fences for illegal goods. I know there's at least one such fence within the Thieves' guild.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Screen_Shot2.png

Wooooooo Hooooooo!

I gots me a dove-hah-keeen!

Meet the wood elf, kenpachi RAMASAMA.
Aspiring, light armor wearing archer, enchanter, one handed warrior and blocker-in-chief.

He is also gay... uh, I mean blind.

P.S.: "You may take away my stats but you will nevar take mah freeeeeedum!!"

Angry Grimace

Is there unbreakable lockpick in Skyrim like Oblivion? Never liked lockpicking.

Yes and no. The same one, in fact. But you don't get to keep it.

You have to take the lockpicking talents up to get "lockpicks never break." However, my opinion is strongly recommending you put 0 points into lockpicking. Lockpicking in this game is mostly just trial and error and if you buy all of the Theives Guild fences's lockpicks every time you go to her it's not really a big deal, even on Expert locks.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Okay, 60 hours into the game and I'm just trying a horse for the first time

LOL @ the horse mountain climbing physics. I'm gonna have to hold on to this horse just because of how easy they make climbing these impossible hills.

Loxley

So, where does this fit in people's GOTY lists?

I don't see how I can't give my personal GOTY to it. Uncharted 3 was awesome, but not as good as 2. And Arkham City was amazing, but Skyrim pulls me in like no other game. I'll be playing it for a long time to come.

I know this is very hyperbolic considering Skyrim has been out for barely a week, but its quickly become my favorite game of this generation, with Red Dead Redemption being the former owner of that crown. Sure there's plenty of broken stuff, but man...when all the pieces come together, there's no other game like this out there.

Granted I do have a slight bias towards the game since I eat up anything fantasy related like pretzels, and a good way to make me love your game is to give it an amazing soundtrack (which Skyrim obviously has). Plus the MMO player in me adores the open-world, "craft your own story" approach to game design. But that said, I haven't touched any other game since Skyrim's release, and have no urge to either. The constant excitement over exploring the world and slaying dragons appeals to the 10-year old in me in such a huge way.

And I'm only 34 hours in.

Top Bottom