• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

How do you guys feel about not being able to max everything out for your character?
It doesn't affect me at all. I usually make different characters, each with their own set of skills and quest lines. For instance, my orc warrior won't ever touch any of the magic or rogue skill trees.

Anyways it's pretty obvious right now that you have to be choosy with your perks. Kind of frustrating but I can understand why they would do this. How do you guys feel about not being able to max everything out for your character?

I don't mind at all, I have no intention of ever wearing heavy armour so maxing it out would be pointless. As long as I can max out five or so I'll be happy.

I don't mind at all, I have no intention of ever wearing heavy armour so maxing it out would be pointless. As long as I can max out five or so I'll be happy.
Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about. I'm currently playing as a mage and haven't really leveled any of my trees up because I don't want to make a bad decision to start out, especially if I can only max out a few trees.

Gregorn

They'll probably keep raising the level cap with DLC (and expansions? :O) so after a while choosing perks shouldn't be as important as it currently is.

They'll probably keep raising the level cap with DLC (and expansions? :O) so after a while choosing perks shouldn't be as important as it currently is.

I seriously doubt that. There's not even a real hard level cap in the game, so it'd be pretty hard to raise it. I don't see 'em allowing us to raise your skills further than 100, either.

Wallach

Man. I spent some time wandering just to wander, and in such adventures I started a quest called Discerning the Transmundane. Holy fuck this quest turned out to be amazing; I just lost like three hours. So fucking good.

On a completely unrelated note, Paralyze is still hilarious. It has become a mini-game unto itself, where I try to get people to stick in absurd poses or roll away so that my Dremora Lords have to chase after them.

Lakitu

st5fu
Haha, I just got attacked by like 8 cave bears at once in Fallowstone Cave. I'm laughing because I'm trying not to cry. They're killing me here.

I was walking down High Hrothgar after the "Season Unending"-quest with (MQ)
Baalgruuf, Tullius, Rikke, Elisif, Elenwen, Delphine and Esbern
in tow when all of a sudden an Elder Dragon appeared and started raining fire on us.

We proceeded to slaughter that bitch. Afterwards
the Jarls and Elenwen just stood there spouting the same random villager-dialogue after seeing a dragon
, while
Rikke and Tullius got stuck trying to climb a step.

eek5

I don't think so. If you max out all your skills to 100 you'll be at level 81 so I don't see where you'd go from there. I'm at 64 now and I really don't even see how I'm going to increase much more. Most of the skills I use are at 100 or very close to it. I'd basically have to grind out stuff like 2H and shields to keep leveling

Gregorn

I don't think so. If you max out all your skills to 100 you'll be at level 81 so I don't see where you'd go from there. I'm at 64 now and I really don't even see how I'm going to increase much more. Most of the skills I use are at 100 or very close to it. I'd basically have to grind out stuff like 2H and shields to keep leveling

Wait what? I thought you stopped levelling at 50.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just spent around 40 minutes maxing out Smithing. Levelled up several times in the process.

Raiden

Banned
It might be my mindset, but im enjoying this game a hell lot more than i did with Oblivion. When i finished Oblivions main story line i did not feel compelled to look back and do more. But now i finished the main story and i feel like i have seen about 5% of the game.

Still need to visit all the holds etc!

Also the game is crazy good looking on Xbox, pretty insane that a 2006 machine is pulling this.

Wanace

Was it me or was that huge statue in the one Thieves Guild quest a statue of Vivec? Looked a lot like him.

I've started accumulating so much shit now, it's ridiculous. I've gotta cut back or else my house in Solitude will look like an episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive.

MrBig

How are people levelling so fast? I've played for 40 hours and am only at 17.

I've been doing so much I leveled pretty fast to 25. Got a mod that exponentially increased the skill xp algorithm that significantly slowed it down. Have been level 32 for the last ~6 hours and only need one more skill level to bump it up to 33

this game is so addictive

65 hours into it, barely touched the main story, map is littered by uncovered locations found in books. It can really be overwhelming at times

and I love how much creativity you can put in fights. I was in a bandit hideout, level 6, i went for warrior build.
Sneaky killed everyone minus the last boss, an Orc with a two handed axe. who was obviously much more powerful than me, so i decided to use the Staff of Dead Zombies. The bizarre fight had me running around a kitchen table reanimating a bandit a LOT of times until the Orc was dead. Took ten minutes, lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm just under 40 hours in and my character is level 27... or 28. Definitely approaching 30. As far as the main quest line is concerned, my current mission is to investigate the two watch towers adjacent to Whiterun.

Okay, I'm definitely abusing fast travel right now. Want to find some more words of power and dragon scales/bones before advancing in the main quest any further. Thought I'd have enough dragon scales saved up, but you need a lot for Dragon armor, apparently.

eek5

But there's a perk limit, right?

Yeah when you max out 100 on all stats. I think think you should plan on allotting 80 points though. Something like 65 perk points is what I would consider reasonable. You might be able to push up to 68-70 if you end up grinding out skills you don't use at the end of the road.

I'm saving my perk points now to see where I'm at once I finish maxing out some of my primary skills (seriously how have I not 100'd destruction and restoration yet!?)

Okay, I'm definitely abusing fast travel right now. Want to find some more words of power and dragon scales/bones before advancing in the main quest any further. Thought I'd have enough dragon scales saved up, but you need a lot for Dragon armor, apparently.

Souls might be finite but dragons are unlimited afaik. Unless you plan on making 4-5 sets you should have enough

bloody hell, getting rid of Vampirism was a PAIN IN THE ASS

random cool story bro story: first Thieves' Guild' mission:
Loud and Clear. I sneaked my way inside Goldenglow estate, passed through several mercenaries and avoided pickpocketing the elf because it woulda been impossible. Unlocked the safe and got out to burn the beehives but there's a goddamn merc with a torch (I went there nighttime) just in front of the entrance who doesn't move at all, so I decide to wait on the adjacent water. i wait for several hours; tired of waiting, I prepped my bow and give up about the non-kill requisite...then a dragon approaches the mansion, grilling all the outside mercs including my man

thanks, dragon. I'll spare your life for now

eek5

I know, that's not my problem. I just sold a lot of scales already, so now I need to hunt some dragons to find more. :lol

Just keep fast traveling to winterhold :lol The encounter rate there seems way higher than any other area

Had my first dragon die and not give up a soul today. Booooo. At least I was able to loot it. When I went back it was just gone, no corpse or bones.

The whole dragon bones thing in general seems pretty buggy. In running across some of the places I've killed dragons, the bones have been in all kinds of fucked up positions, or flopping around off some distance from where they originally laid. Neat idea but turned out a little flaky.

Haha I had a time when I had like 3 downed dragons in the college courtyard and every time I'd fast travel there they'd all be flopping around. At least they made it so you could walk through the skeletons.

I've killed 2 dragons with no souls now :/

Wallach

Had my first dragon die and not give up a soul today. Booooo. At least I was able to loot it. When I went back it was just gone, no corpse or bones.

The whole dragon bones thing in general seems pretty buggy. In running across some of the places I've killed dragons, the bones have been in all kinds of fucked up positions, or flopping around off some distance from where they originally laid. Neat idea but turned out a little flaky.

eek5

my house in Whiterun is a piece of arse. Wish I had never bought it

None of the houses I've gotten have been that great. Some don't have enchantment tables, others have it but don't have storage boxes close to it or the alchemy station. No smithing upgrades for any of the houses. Not enough mannequins! No houses that are extremely close to fast travel (I think whiterun is the closest; solitude is ok if you fast travel to blue palace and do the
whirlwind shout
. Can't wait for creation kit

Rookie

Neo Member
None of the houses I've gotten have been that great. Some don't have enchantment tables, others have it but don't have storage boxes close to it or the alchemy station. No smithing upgrades for any of the houses. Not enough mannequins! No houses that are extremely close to fast travel (I think whiterun is the closest; solitude is ok if you fast travel to blue palace and do the
whirlwind shout
. Can't wait for creation kit

You need to visit the person who sold you the house, you can purchase decorations for your house to upgrade it to make it purrrty

dantehemi

I'm just about level 100 smithing, how have you guys Been using perks in the smithing tree? I think I might have used too many? Put about 4 perks into so far.

I was fighting an undead mage of some sorts at the bottom of an island near that town at the base of throat of the world. I was attacking him and my weapon just disappeared! I spent like ten minutes wandering around the room thinking he knocked it out of my hand or something before I gave up. What the hell happened?

NBtoaster

It's interesting that this is the first Bethesda game I've played without restarting my game some time in. In Oblivion I found lockpicking too hard and I kept drowning, so I restarted with an Argonian with the tower key sign (which ended up being a poor sign). In Fallout 3 I restarted after the "Trouble on the Homefront" quest because it was just so depressing. And I've restarted morrowind several times trying to get into it.

Top Bottom