• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Echoplx

I feel like I am seriously over my head. Leveling up Alchemy, Smithing, Sneakyness, light armor, and Archery. Don't think I will get the most out of all of them by the time I finish the main quest.
The 'Main Quest' in these games is pretty much irrelevant, it's all about the rest of the game. Out of my 140 hours of play so far only ~15 hours of that was the main quest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lmao

I encountered a female named "Temba Wide-Arm."

(It's a reference to a Star Trek: TNG episode named "Darmok")

Labadal

Got a power that raises the dead so they fight for me. It was awesome in one fight I had with five enemies. I killed three of them, but the other two gave me much trouble, so I used the power to revive the enemies I had killed. Then I stepped aside and watched the fight. I wonder if this works for every enemy in the game.

Mik2121

Alright so... I just got my house in Whiterun. I have no money for furniture right now but there's a chest next to the bed on the second floor. Is it safe to leave all my stuff (books) that I don't need to brink around, and will it stay there forever or eventually disappear?

Guys?... :(

I've stored all my stuff there and nothing's disappeared yet. It should be safe.

I have my own problem. The last companion I had was Lydia, who's corpse is rotting at the bottom of some dungeon somewhere. I tried to recruit a new follower, but they say I already have one. Does this mean I need to go tell Lydia's body to stop following me? Or did I accidentally pick up a follower I don't know about?

Yo Gotti

Banned
I haven't actually gone through Skyrim's DB storyline, but I have doubts that it could top the one in Oblivion. The DB Oblivion storyline was the highlight of that game, for me.

That storyline was just fantastic by any standard, Bethesda writes good stories but they really worked magic with that one, way above pretty much anything else they've done imo.

I just started the DB in Skyrim and I already don't like the first guy who gives me quests.

The main story in Skyrim is keeping me very entertained though, if it keeps up it will definitely be my favorite questline since the DB in Oblivion.

Tenck

The 'Main Quest' in these games is pretty much irrelevant, it's all about the rest of the game. Out of my 140 hours of play so far only ~15 hours of that was the main quest.

I don't feel too powerful though. A lot of the times I'm fighting someone, I have to rely on dirty tactics to win. I'll keep going at it and see how well I do :/

Jin

I haven't actually gone through Skyrim's DB storyline, but I have doubts that it could top the one in Oblivion. The DB Oblivion storyline was the highlight of that game, for me.

I thought the DB story in Oblivion was better. Skyrim DB storyline was too over the top and a bit predictable for me and they didn't have anyone as cool as Lucian Luchane.

KingK

I finally bought a second house (the one in Markarth) and fully furnished it. It's so much bigger an nicer than that shack in Whiterun! I had my wife move there, but then I became Thane of the Reach and found out my new housecarl is a dude. Not sure I'm comfortable with some dude being in my house with my wife all day, lol. Too bad Lidya can't just move in.

Are you able to get a house/be Thane/have a houscarl for every city?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't feel too powerful though. A lot of the times I'm fighting someone, I have to rely on dirty tactics to win. I'll keep going at it and see how well I do :/

Bump the difficulty down then.

Some people wanna min/max like crazy and play on Master. Others wanna dabble in a ton of skills and not feel too punished.

Neither approach is right/wrong... each gamer is the center of their Skyrim universe, free to play the game how they like.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How high is your Alchemy? The higher a skill is the longer it takes to increase by one point.

Only like 32 or so. I don't make all that much, but it just seems like I leveled up smithing much quicker for a lot less work. I don't smith much either.

Tenck

Bump the difficulty down then.

Some people wanna min/max like crazy and play on Master. Others wanna dabble in a ton of skills and not feel too punished.

Neither approach is right/wrong... each gamer is the center of their Skyrim universe, free to play the game how they like.

Haha problem is I'm playing on Adept. I can still tune the difficulty up but I will get slaughtered.

Edit:
Out of my 140 hours of play so far only ~15 hours of that was the main quest.

Just re-read this. Holy fuck man! Closest I've seen to that is 80 hours.

GhaleonEB

Deepwood Vale --> Hag's End sequence as part of the House of Horrors quest was deeply satisfying.

An sniping approach to the camp taking out guards and archers, some heavy combat with the tough guys in the middle, lots of one-shot kills to clean up the riff-raff. Then, finding Hag's End and the chase that ensured was the icing on the cake. Learned a Shout (still no dragons around, though), finished that bitch off on the tower. Her twin Frost Wraiths were a pain in the rear.

Hagravens are just terrifying in battle. Those fire balls....yowza. World-enders.

As an added bonus, I got to beat a helpless man to death. Three times.

The mace now sits on my wall as a trophy.

That makes any day a better day.

Earlier today I enabled and then participated in an act of cannibalism in order to earn some coin for an upgrade to my kitchen. Gotta make a living somehow. The kitchen is nice, BTW.

Don't judge me.

Wanace

Only like 32 or so. I don't make all that much, but it just seems like I leveled up smithing much quicker for a lot less work. I don't smith much either.

To level alchemy you should mix random ingredients together. As you try and fail/succeed and learn new effects and create potions, your levels will go up.

Best way is to just get a shitload of ingredients and start mixing. I agree it does go slower than some other skills, I've been focusing on alchemy and I'm only at like 70.

Tenck

I am 12-13 hours in the game. I have yet to touch the main campaign. Side quests and exploration all day.

44 hours into the game myself and only did the first dragon quest. After that, it was happy fun time for me while I did side quests and guild related quests.

Meier

I felt the same way about Draugr Deathlords.

Yeah, they're beastly as well but at least with him I could run away and heal some then shout, rinse and repeat. The chaurus reapers do insane melee damage and then that poison is ridiculous and they're FAST! It's crazy how some of the random enemies are harder than bosses.. my one real "complaint."

Now that I have my Black Star and Soul Trap sword, I can go to work making enchanted gear to sell for a profit.

Question: Is it worth taking multiple ranks in the base +20% Enchanting perk?

Malo

Banned
A night to remember was such a great quest.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a standing stone? I'm 18 hours in and I've yet to find one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I'm in the skill tree here and all of a sudden my archery number is in the red. Why would that be?

Sickness? Is in your active buffs stats, when you go into the magic tab.

mileS

If its not this, its a bug. Has happened to me and plenty of other people. Said archery was at 20 (when it was supposed to be 58) but I was still doing as much damage as I should be and when I ranked up it went back to normal.

cackhyena

Oh, yep. I'm over 60 hours into this and it's the first time I've been afflicted with something. Must have been that wolf I just got jumped by. It's called Rockjoint. Affects Melee. Wonder how I get rid of it, or if I just have to wait.

Bluth54

Was there ever any confirmation of the Reddit thing where someone (people?) said their house was burgled? Or is that just a myth.

I've occasionally had people who I just talk to outside my house follow me into my house, which I'm guessing is a glitch of some kind. Maybe a thief NPC followed them into their house?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, yep. I'm over 60 hours into this and it's the first time I've been afflicted with something. Must have been that wolf I just got jumped by. It's called Rockjoint. Affects Melee. Wonder how I get rid of it, or if I just have to wait.

Glad to help :) You made me want to play Skyrim again now. And I never have had any disease as well, I got the impression they were way more common in the previous games.

mileS

rockjoint doesn't have anything to do with archery. Its probably the bug I mentioned.

eso76

guys do you think it's safe to store your stuff in a thieves' den i've just cleared ?
there's this hideout north of Solitude that looks great and i'd like to settle there but i suppose i can't.

Also, rather early in the main quest
when you're told to infiltrate thalamors' palace
can the guy
who helps you be saved ? and can the guy who is executioned when you enter Solitude be saved as well ? Well i guess so because i tried killing the guards and if you're quick enough he runs away, but does it make any change in the main quest ?

mileS

Well you can melee with the bow, so maybe it's incorporated?

no when my archery was stuck in the red I didn't have it and I'm positive rockjoint doesn't effect it. Anyways you cure these things by activating the shrines in various places. Theres a temple or something in whiterun that lets you do this. "Shrine of Talos"

anyways go and cure it, if archery is still red its the bug I mentioned and it will go back to normal once you skill it up once more.

Apparently training the skill in red fixes it if you've got that bug. I wish I'd known that earlier, I reloaded from an earlier save because my single handed skill was glitched and I couldn't fix it.

cackhyena

no when my archery was stuck in the red I didn't have it and I'm positive rockjoint doesn't effect it. Anyways you cure these things by activating the shrines in various places. Theres a temple or something in whiterun that lets you do this.

Oh yeah. Thanks for the reminder.

mileS

Apparently training the skill in red fixes it if you've got that bug. I wish I'd known that earlier, I reloaded from an earlier save because my single handed skill was glitched and I couldn't fix it.

its a strange bug. I even loaded a save from 2 hours beforehand and I still had it. I just hope I don't manage to get it once I have my archery skill maxed at 100. It would piss me off to see it back to 20 and red when I go to the skills tree.

you don't need to pay for training if thats what you're saying. You can just rank it up yourself it doesn't matter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I had the same bug with One-Handed (from 70 to 20). Its a pain in the ass and I hope the skill doesn't get stuck if you've mastered that skill.

Blizzard

Banned
its a strange bug. I even loaded a save from 2 hours beforehand and I still had it. I just hope I don't manage to get it once I have my archery skill maxed at 100. It would piss me off to see it back to 20 and red when I go to the skills tree.

you don't need to pay for training if thats what you're saying. You can just rank it up yourself it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I have been wondering if it can even be fixed if it happens at level 100, that would be horrible.

Battlemage?
I play as BM, with Destro and Conju as focus (going to max both trees (possibly) minus one or two perks each (rune mastery, something from Conju)). Smithing and Enchanting secondary, as i wear heavy armor. All heavy armor perks from Smithing but not Advanced Armor's one. All but recharge/soul stealer perks from Enchanting as i don't use weapons (other than bound sword occasionally). I probably don't have to spend points in Heavy Armor, Daedric Armor upgraded to Legendary status and enchanted should give me enough protection though Conditioning would be useful as i don't focus on Stamina at all. Any leftover perks will go to One Handed for Bound Sword or artifact swords.

There are no truly useless perks (outside the whole lockpicking tree) though some are rather marginal, catering only to specific playstyle.
Remember that if you use Alchemy or Enchanting, the basic perk needs to be upgraded to max ASAP. Otherwise choose only the perks you really need. From Enchanting, for example, don't pick weapon enchant perks unless you intend to use weapons with those enchants.
Are you going to be a summoner or a necromancer? I'll go both so i take all perks but unless you do the same, you might choose only one path and leave the other alone. I'm not convinced Conju Dual casting is useful, 60 second is good enough spell lenght most the time, at least for me.
In Destruction remember to consider are you going to use all damage types or not. And if you're, do you really need the special effect perks for all? Flame and Frost ones are quite similar in practice, not to mention nigh useless most of the time, dying targets are dead so soon anyway.
Both Alteration and Restoration have useful perks but you probably won't get enough perks to maxime both ones so consider carefully.

Yes, I plan to play as BM. Thanks a lot for very helpful reply, you are right - there are not really useless perks to begin with, plus I'm sure sooner or later a mod will allow us to re-specc in case we mess something up. Restoration has some great perks - Wards regenerating Magicka FTW! (wonder if it works on dragon's breath?), however it's a pain to level up.

Now that I look at it Alchemy is really troublesome - finding ingredients, etc. Much better idea will be to simply max Enchanting and enchant your gear.

Also, I recommend everyone pick up Steed Stone - first three stones are useless i.e. you will increase your skills anyway + levelling to quickly might cause enemies to scale too quickly. Steed stone is great, esp. when someone wants to use heavy armor.

I can easily see this taking me longer than F:NV, and that was 131 hours, without Lonesome Road. Man, I love wRPGs.

Killing my first dragon was awesome, especially cause I was only level 2-3. I just destroyed it with fire....Really intense fight considering I didn't think I was ready.

Anyways it's pretty obvious right now that you have to be choosy with your perks. Kind of frustrating but I can understand why they would do this. How do you guys feel about not being able to max everything out for your character?

Top Bottom