• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Gravijah

How far along in the Thieves Guild quest line am I?

I've just
become a Nightingale and am going after what's his name the betrayer. Just cleared out the bandits from the entrance.

one major quest after that and you've got a bunch to do afterwards to restore the guild. doing that also gives you more fences and merchants, new armor, etc. that new armor might unbreak your fence.

Wallach

Yeah, well I'm not planning on getting everything from these trees. Just getting things I want from each tree really. I am planning on focusing more on armour and weapon though. For block, I've actually been using wards from the restoration tree, I'm not actually sure if they are any decent compared to blocking. It just saved me having to use perks in the blocking tree.

It wouldn't work out well for you as a melee character. Wards get dramatically more expensive to cast and while they do block magic attacks, they offer no passive armor and otherwise have no utility. You have enough perks that investing into Block would be a better idea even if you had to take them from Restoration. The actual healing spells in Restoration by comparison are much easier on the magicka pool and will allow you to take more health and stamina on level gains. Plus you can get some very powerful utility moves via the Block perk tree that will be more useful to a melee-oriented character.

Atrus

Gold Member
Went through the Stony Creek Cave and found an unmarked dungeon in the far back named Kagrenzel. The path appears unreachable at first but when you look at your map it clearly highlights something behind. After a few well placed jumps on the left side up to it, I made it through.

It's pretty strange but unique in the sense that it looks to be one long path heading down to a large underground cavern with massive waterfalls pouring in.

Also fought my first Ice Dragon and pretty much used all my Wabberjack charges to mostly kill it. It caught me alone on the road and I clearly wasn't able to fight it off (Master difficulty) so I ran inside a nearby cottage near a mill.

I waited an hour and then went back out and sure enough, it was kind of gone. I couldn't see it but I could swear that I could hear it's roaring but I finally just wrote it off as the wind. Not more than 50 feet of travel and sure enough, he comes back around the mountain and I'm basically spending the next 20 minutes fighting it all over this little logging mill with no potions.

I saw a second one later near Stony Creek Cave but since I ran to the nearby legion encampment, it just swooped around and then ran away.

Dresden

You don't need more than four or so points in Restoration if all you're going to cast are heals. Invest in Regeneration for the healing boost and Respite for the stamina recovery and then just cast Fast Heal after fights.

Dresden

Man, all the ritual stones are kinda useless except the Steed Stone.

Along with the extra pockets perk, high stamina, and a follower, I'm never over-encumbered and I'm making a shitload of money.

The Lord and the Atronach stones are fucking ace.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Haha. I thought the same thing when I first bought it. I was so excited and having spent pretty much every cent I had on it, I had high expectations. Walked in and...........severe disappointment. Looked like shit.

However, fully upgraded(which doesn't cost that much), its a pretty nice place. I'm pretty happy with it, but I could use more bookshelf space.

Buy upgrades from the same person you bought the house from.

Is it actually useful though? Otherwise, I'll keep my precious money for other stuff. I just needed a place to stash 1000 pounds of crap.

Plasmid

Pretty much.
Black souls are always Grand which beats out one that can hold Petty to Grand. Lets you always get Grand Souls without much effort since, really, what the hell do you need Petty to Greater for besides skilling up?

How do you absorb souls anyway, i have 0 idea on how to do this lol.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sometimes the musics sounds just like Fallout 3.

Anyone know anything about the random drops to the desktop in the PC version? Happened twice today, no errors either.

Hazanko

Banned
It wouldn't work out well for you as a melee character. Wards get dramatically more expensive to cast and while they do block magic attacks, they offer no passive armor and otherwise have no utility. You have enough perks that investing into Block would be a better idea even if you had to take them from Restoration. The actual healing spells in Restoration by comparison are much easier on the magicka pool and will allow you to take more health and stamina on level gains. Plus you can get some very powerful utility moves via the Block perk tree that will be more useful to a melee-oriented character.

Yeah you're probably right lol. I kinda just wanted to make a warrior priest type of character. Was thinking of enchanting my armour to get the restoration cost down, plus have powers against undead but it probably might not work out well.

abundant

How do you absorb souls anyway, i have 0 idea on how to do this lol.

Cast Soul Trap spells, then kill the animal/person (Black Souls) within 60 seconds. If you haven't been putting anything in magic, find a weapon with a soul trap enchantment. You'll know when you caught a soul.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it actually useful though? Otherwise, I'll keep my precious money for other stuff. I just needed a place to stash 1000 pounds of crap.

I couldn't go without it. Vendors hold so little money that I end up needing a place to put all the stuff they cant afford to buy. With all the potential potions I have to make, all the dragon bones and amulets and gems and armor and weapons, I'm sure I've got about 20,000 gold sitting around in my house.

And besides it being useful, it just feels good to have a 'home'. Seriously, after a few quests adventuring out in the world, its nice having a place to go to where you just feel comfortable and can relax and organize your belongings.

I know, but did they recycle the music or just use the same composer?

Different composers, kind of surprised you feel this way. It doesn't sound like Fallout at all to me, but it does sound an awful lot like the rest of Soule's work from Morrowind on. Bunch of mixed tunes as well. Awesome shit.

Wallach

Yeah you're probably right lol. I kinda just wanted to make a warrior priest type of character. Was thinking of enchanting my armour to get the restoration cost down, plus have powers against undead but it probably might not work out well.

Oh, I see. Well it's something you could definitely try, since it still won't take a lot of perk investment. At worst I guess you would wind up making some fortify Restoration gear that you maybe drop later. I just don't know if you'll find the trade-off of benefit against undead worth losing the Block tree stuff which works against quite a lot of stuff.

Plasmid

Made a wrong turn today and had to turn around in some guys driveway, saw through his window driving away him fighting a dragon :lol.

100 smithing, i can finally get dragon armour.

kaskade

This game has too many choices. I don't know if I want to be a one handed sword kinda guy or a two handed. I just got an awesome fire battle axe.

scy

Heavy Dragon isn't the best Armor, though it's easier to get the materials for than Daedric. Doesn't help that both Dragon options don't look that great either. Actually, I don't like the way most the Light Armor looks as well so my Archer pimps street clothes; Defense be damned!

So, is anyone high enough level to tell us if you find high-end armour (dragon, daedric) in the wild at some point?

I haven't seen Dragon or Daedric (in my 50s on two characters) but Ebony and Glass are definitely out in the wild. Either as equipment, Chest rewards, or literally just lying around.

Luthos

What is the key to read a book or note while you are looting something? Like if I wanted to read something from a body or chest, but don't want to pick it up.

Plasmid

Heavy Dragon isn't the best Armor, though it's easier to get the materials for than Daedric. Doesn't help that both Dragon options don't look that great either. Actually, I don't like the way most the Light Armor looks as well so my Archer pimps street clothes; Defense be damned!

O i was gonna use it for light armour, my Light armour skill is like.. 60? and heavy armour is 37 lol.

Man, I really wish I'd known that mass-forging Iron Daggers was the best way to raise Smithing and Enchanting back when I made a hundred of those things a few days ago. At first I was just going for Smithing because I wanted me some Dragon armour, but now I feel like branching out into Magic and I'm falling right down the Enchanting hole. I've got the Black Star, I enchanted myself a Soul Trapping sword, but I wish there was a faster way of harvesting souls. I've just been loading up on Soul Gems (by stealing them from merchants) and venturing out into the wilderness to kill things, but the Black Star only holds one human soul and killing one dude and then fast traveling to an Arcane Enchanter to enchant a weapon won't get me anywhere fast. I'm thinking about using the console to get a bunch of duplicate Black Stars.

scy

...but I wish there was a faster way of harvesting souls. I've just been loading up on Soul Gems (by stealing them from merchants) and venturing out into the wilderness to kill things, but the Black Star only holds one human soul and killing one dude and then fast traveling to an Arcane Enchanter to enchant a weapon won't get me anywhere fast. I'm thinking about using the console to get a bunch of duplicate Black Stars.

Buy them. Checking the vendors of 3 cities, I can get 10-ish pre-filled Petty to Common per loading cycle (and that's not even buying out every Mage vendor in Winterhold, just the one in the city proper) and I have a ton of Daggers to sell anyway so it lets me refresh vendor gold supplies. Cost isn't a big deal since filled Petty - Common are all like 60-300 a pop and good Enchants on the Daggers can get you 300-1000+

Deadbeat

Banned
With all the bonuses in the end light armor will cap out close to the max defense.

SPOILERS IN ITEM NAMES HERE http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

Damage reduction is capped at 80%. If you are wearing all four pieces of armor, this occurs at 567 displayed armor rating. If you have 100 skill and all relevant armor perks, this requires a smithed armor rating of about 135. You can increase your smithed armor rating by 1 roughly every 2 points of Smithing with the appropriate perk, or every 4 without. Therefore, at 100 Smithing you will need 85 base armor with the appropriate perk, which is not achievable with Light Armor (though Dragonscale comes close at 82 for the set) and requires at least a Steel Plate set for Heavy Armor. With Fortify Smithing apparel you can boost Smithing even further, which can potentially allow any material for which a Smithing perk exists to reach the cap. At the extreme end, you will need about 126 Smithing to make Steel Armor hit the cap, and about 154 Smithing for an Elven set. Unfortunately, Fur, Hide, Studded, Leather, and Iron armors are not affected by any Smithing perks and so cannot be improved as much.

Spells and the Lord Stone can reduce the base armor required to hit the cap even further, but these require more management.

punkypine

i dont fully understand this whole gem thing

when you are enchanting a weapon, is there any benefit to use a higher level gem? and i figured out how to trap souls into gems, but whats the point? what does that accomplish?

Plasmid

I have an arrow and a frostbite sickle through my characters body and they get annoying to look at, anyway to get rid of these?

Cudder

i dont fully understand this whole gem thing

when you are enchanting a weapon, is there any benefit to use a higher level gem? and i figured out how to trap souls into gems, but whats the point? what does that accomplish?

As far as I can tell, higher level gems/souls give more power to your enchantments. And the point of trapping souls is so that you can enchant in the first place.

With all the bonuses in the end light armor will cap out close to the max defense.

SPOILERS IN ITEM NAMES HERE http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

So between this and the nearly identical perk trees, there's little practical difference between heavy and light armor late game. You are basically choosing either avoided damage and stamina regen or reflected damage and less stagger. It's poor design when light armor protects as well as heavy and when there is no difference in weight or movement speed between the two.

punkypine

As far as I can tell, higher level gems/souls give more power to your enchantments. And the point of trapping souls is so that you can enchant in the first place.

so without a soul it just does nothing? i guess i never noticed since i always had so many filled ones

Khezu

I hate the atronach stone, I swear it keeps eating my summons.

I flash blue and get my mana back and no summon comes out, really annoying.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Man the house in Whiterun sucks, it's so tiny. I've got a huge pile of Dragon Bones and Scales in the Alchemy room, my table is full of spare weapons, my bed is full of spare armor, now I've got nowhere to put all the loot I've been finding.

Gonna need to make Solitude my hometown very soon, hope the house is worth that 25K...

EDIT: I've still got 4 of the main cities that I haven't even visited, maybe I should check those out first...

I'll be excited when I can finally fit my entire library of books in a house via mods.

Until then Ill wait to sit back by the fire in my Markarth home and read.

The M.O.B

Man the house in Whiterun sucks, it's so tiny. I've got a huge pile of Dragon Bones and Scales in the Alchemy room, my table is full of spare weapons, my bed is full of spare armor, now I've got nowhere to put all the loot I've been finding.

Gonna need to make Solitude my hometown very soon, hope the house is worth that 25K...

EDIT: I've still got 4 of the main cities that I haven't even visited, maybe I should check those out first...

You should check the city that starts with Ri
ften

Grisby

I have an arrow and a frostbite sickle through my characters body and they get annoying to look at, anyway to get rid of these?
Well for arrows you actually have to get shot with more arrows. Then they should disappear. For the sickle,er, try the same thing?

Yo Gotti

Banned
You should check the city that starts with Ri
ften

Been there, it's my favorite city so far thanks to the
Thieves Guild
, but I can't seem to buy the house there. I did at least 2 of the sidequests from the Jarl/Steward but the option never appears to buy the house.

I need a house that's Manor sized so I can throw loot everywhere and not have to worry about using dressers/chests.

Top Bottom