• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I think I've plunged too far deep into the main quest -- tell me am I near the end?

Me, Daphine and the guy from the Ratsway are headed off into some mountain to find Alduin's Wall. It doesn't feel like the end but the way Daphine talks to the guy in the bar sounds like it might be. Wondering if I should pull out now as my desire to keep playing might diminish if I finish it now.
you're still pretty far out: there's a lot left to do.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So apparently I have a non-main quest for the College of Winterhold for
Sergius where he requires [at least] five greater soul gems. I have five greater soul gems (greater) but the option to give them to him is not there. It only says "what do you need again" and "I can't find the gems"... Is this quest glitched? I tried saving and then saying I couldn't find the gems. I then asked if there was any College business I could attend to and he gave me an entirely different quest.

Also, I got the House of Horrors quest but I heard it was bugged for the 360 version so
if I don't go into the house and wait for the bug to be fixed, I'll be alright, correct? The guy that wanted me to search it with him went in and I suppose as soon as I enter the house it will act like I just followed him in.

Syntsui

Does anyone know where I can find an item with Fortify One-Handed and one with Fortify Heavy Armor?? I want to create my ultimate set, but I need these enchantments.

Trevelyon

ffs! You should be absolutely be told when your companion has died. Been with Aela since I arrived at Whiterun, got split up in Blackreach (though, I've been split up by game jankiness many, many times before) she at some point was killed, went searching for crimson nitroot and found her corpse in the middle of nowhere (I think that lone giant down there was the cause)

Had to do two separate runs to recover her stuff. So fuckin' frustrating, if I had of known I'd of just reloaded a save at that point, gone to the surface and hopefully she'd appear on me, like stuck/lost NPCs tend to do.

scy

So it's better to give it to nelcara in the inn than the girl at the shrine?

Pretty much.
Black souls are always Grand which beats out one that can hold Petty to Grand. Lets you always get Grand Souls without much effort since, really, what the hell do you need Petty to Greater for besides skilling up?

Dunlop

I'm loving this game way too much now. Magic is so much better than it was in Oblivion. I am loving my conjuration/destruction/alteration mage. I will summon an atronach in a room, then place a rune on the ground in front of me as a safety mine in case the enemy comes after me, and then I have my mage companion who does a ton of damage. Shooting magic just feels right and dual casting is fucking bad ass.

I just installed the mod that let's you kill kids but I haven't tried it yet. I don't want to tinker with the gameplay mods at all yet, but I do want to be able to silence the snotty little shits that I come across lol

this is all making me realize that my mage alt will just not happen with the console controls. I'm already jugging too many menues with my archer

Detect life-->equip bow-->equip shield and axe when people in melee range

The favorite and quick key system kinda sucks, I wish left would save one config and right another

I am confused by dragon shouts. I just got this shout, ice form, that doesn't seem to do anything on its own, or at least not when I'm pointing at an enemy. In addition, apparently I need three such unlocks togetthese attacks to work? How exactly does this work?

MrBig

I am confused by dragon shouts. I just got this shout, ice form, that doesn't seem to do anything on its own, or at least not when I'm pointing at an enemy. In addition, apparently I need three such unlocks togetthese attacks to work? How exactly does this work?

Find a wall: Learn a word
Kill a dragon: absorb a soul point
Use soul point to unlock a learned word.
3 words for each shout, each one increasing the power of the last when it is unlocked.

Hazanko

Banned
I've been wondering if I'm taking on too many skills. I wanted to make a warrior that used restoration. So I've been doing heavy armour, restoration but I also needed to level up one handed.

Then I realized how good enchant and smithing is, so I've been leveling that too. Is that too many things to level up?

Dresden

Does anyone know where I can find an item with Fortify One-Handed and one with Fortify Heavy Armor?? I want to create my ultimate set, but I need these enchantments.

Just check shops now and then. Random.

So I have +50% block damage reduction - hope it helps. Enjoying the sword and shield melee, and my conjuration is up to a point where I can cast Revenant. Master is feeling really easy now at level 25 but that'll hopefully change once I fight something more challenging than Hagravens.

Also didn't grab any smithing or enchanting perks on purpose - don't want to craft a full set of Daedric right of the bat. Smithing is at about 60 on this guy.

Mothman91

So I'm doing the Shrine of Azura quest, and
once I get Azuras star, I have a choice to return it to the shrine or the Elf? I heard the Elf gives you the black soul gem which is a better item than whatever the Shrine gives you?

abundant

So whats the best type of armor for a 1h weapon/shield warrior?

Heavy or Light armor?

Light if you want to be stealthy, heavy if you want to be a tank.

So I'm doing the Shrine of Azura quest, and
once I get Azuras star, I have a choice to return it to the shrine or the Elf? I heard the Elf gives you the black soul gem which is a better item than whatever the Shrine gives you?

Returning it to the Shrine gives you a reusable Grand Soul Gem. The Black Star is better because every Black Soul is grand.

Esch

Banned
And the fact that you don't rob her blind and expose her during the quest line shows the thieves guild in Skyrim is the polar opposite of the one in Oblivion.

I don't know why Bethesda decided to turn the thieves guild into an oppressive band of jack boot licking under-thugs.

And realistically they would be conforming to some other ideal?

Vire

Hmm, I can't find
Shadowmere...

(Dark Brotherhood Spoiler)

I think she disappeared/glitched out for me?

ShinNL

ffs! You should be absolutely be told when your companion has died. Been with Aela since I arrived at Whiterun, got split up in Blackreach (though, I've been split up by game jankiness many, many times before) she at some point was killed, went searching for crimson nitroot and found her corpse in the middle of nowhere (I think that lone giant down there was the cause)

Had to do two separate runs to recover her stuff. So fuckin' frustrating, if I had of known I'd of just reloaded a save at that point, gone to the surface and hopefully she'd appear on me, like stuck/lost NPCs tend to do.
When Brelyna dies I get a new quest, so I always know and always reload when that happens :p

Enco

Will my house always look that shitty in Whiterun?
238-1-1321527513.jpg

Mods.

KingK

I finally made my way up to Solitude today (after 60 hours of play), and I'm now trying to save up the money for a house there plus all the improvements. The house is 25,000 and the improvements are 11,000. So I need 36,000 gold total, and I'm at 27,000 currently.

I would help if I hadn't just invested like 15,000 into my new house in Markarth yesterday, only to find out that the best house is in Solitude, lol. Plus my housecarl in Markarth is a dude, and I don't want him around my wife all day.

I can't believe I've been playing the game this long and I still haven't been to Falkreath, Morthal, or Dawnstar, and I've barely explored the Rift. The only major questline I've completed is the Companions (I think I'm fairly far into the College of Winterhold though). So much stuff in this game.

edit: Also, this PS3 framerate is getting ridiculously bad.

zam

So I just found out tthat I'm boned out of the Oblivion Walker achievement (obtain 15 daedric artifacts) because I didn't get the
Skull of Corruption
because I didn't
kill Erandur but chose to let him live
. At first when I looked at the elder scrolls wiki I saw there were 16 daedric artifacts in the game, so I figured as long as I get all the others it would be good, but apparently one of them (
Skeleton Key
) doesn't count :( Oh well, after I've finished the game I will have to go back and reload an earlier save, still sucks tho.

Also, over 60h in and I have barely touched the main quest. Or there Bard's College, the Stormcloak vs Imperials, and have done 1 quest in the Thieves Guild. This game is gonna last me a long time.

I'm loving the dungeons too, in Oblivion I rarely went into a dungeon outside of quests, but in the one I go inte tons of random dungeons, cause there is usually something cool, either a new dragon shout, a cool quest that starts when you go in, or sometimes even a Dragon Priest mask. Trying to get the whole set of those, have 4 so far.

Wow Lydia was in my house the whole time. I thought she died, the companions are so weird in this game. But I don't need here anymore, Marcurio is amazing, even though he steals a lot of my kills.

Seanspeed

Banned
How do you do that? Mine is currently looking like a dump.

Haha. I thought the same thing when I first bought it. I was so excited and having spent pretty much every cent I had on it, I had high expectations. Walked in and...........severe disappointment. Looked like shit.

However, fully upgraded(which doesn't cost that much), its a pretty nice place. I'm pretty happy with it, but I could use more bookshelf space.

Buy upgrades from the same person you bought the house from.

GeoramA

So I just found out tthat I'm boned out of the Oblivion Walker achievement (obtain 15 daedric artifacts) because I didn't get the
Skull of Corruption
because I didn't
kill Erandur but chose to let him live
. At first when I looked at the elder scrolls wiki I saw there were 16 daedric artifacts in the game, so I figured as long as I get all the others it would be good, but apparently one of them (
Skeleton Key
) doesn't count :( Oh well, after I've finished the game I will have to go back and reload an earlier save, still sucks tho.
Aw crap. Don't tell me this has missable trophies/achievements...

Okay, I have a question about level scaling, specifically how it pertains as experience in Oblivion. Since I can't spend the $$$ on Skyrim yet (2012 for me!) I've been trying to sate my self with Oblivion. I finished it off the other night, and now I'm on my 2nd play of it, and I decided to try a stealth-based Underlevel run this time.

I'm finding this to be enormously fun, more even than the first time playthrough (leveled normally, finished the game around lvl 24). It is possible to finish all of Oblivion as lvl 1 (though being lvl 2 makes it significantly easier as far as the main quest goes).

Does such a mechanic exist in Skyrim? Has anyone tried NOT leveling up?

Granted I'm only 9 hrs into the game but just from looking at the world map I was kind of surprised by how small the world itself is. It's still pretty dense since I'm discovering new places every few minutes but I guess I just expected Skyrim to be bigger.

I haven't played an RPG since Mass Effect 1 though so I'm not really familiar with any of the TES games or how vast they are. But I've been loving every second of it so far.

Gravijah

Okay, I have a question about level scaling, specifically how it pertains as experience in Oblivion. Since I can't spend the $$$ on Skyrim yet (2012 for me!) I've been trying to sate my self with Oblivion. I finished it off the other night, and now I'm on my 2nd play of it, and I decided to try a stealth-based Underlevel run this time.

I'm finding this to be enormously fun, more even than the first time playthrough (leveled normally, finished the game around lvl 24). It is possible to finish all of Oblivion as lvl 1 (though being lvl 2 makes it significantly easier as far as the main quest goes).

well, you can stop yourself from ever leveling by not clicking level up.

Granted I'm only 9 hrs into the game but just from looking at the world map I was kind of surprised by how small the world itself is. It's still pretty dense since I'm discovering new places every few minutes but I guess I just expected Skyrim to be bigger.

I haven't played an RPG since Mass Effect 1 though so I'm not really familiar with any of the TES games or how vast they are. But I've been loving every second of it so far.

try walking all the time and you'll realize how big it is.

Wallach

I've been wondering if I'm taking on too many skills. I wanted to make a warrior that used restoration. So I've been doing heavy armour, restoration but I also needed to level up one handed.

Then I realized how good enchant and smithing is, so I've been leveling that too. Is that too many things to level up?

Not at all. Perks wise, you aren't going to want to try and actually max out every tree, but you could comfortably put perks into all of them. Skills wise you want a decent stable of stuff being raised so that you are leveling consistently as you get higher (30+). I would probably add Block to that list, in fact; use Block, One Handed and Heavy Armor as your "primary" dumps where you slot most of your perks, and Restoration, Smithing and Enchanting as your "secondary" where you level them regularly but don't slot as many perks.

Seanspeed

Banned

It'll feel much bigger once you start trekking out on foot.

GhaleonEB

How far along in the Thieves Guild quest line am I?

I've just
become a Nightingale and am going after what's his name the betrayer. Just cleared out the bandits from the entrance.

I ask because I want to do a hajillion more of the thieving side quests, but I broke the fence in the guild (note: don't sell your guild armor), and the one in Winterhold disappeared after the first time I sold to him. He was in the inn, but now he's gone. I'd like to do more looting before moving the quest line forward. That's why I joined in the first place. I just need a non-broken fence. :\

Grinchy

Banned
There's a mod to do this?

I can now go on a killing spree of the kids, who think they are better than anyone. Bethesda, you really did go over-board with the kids saying stuff and you not being able to kill them!

haha yep! http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=774#

You may need to have a membership to see it, though. I don't know if they classify this as adult content or not.

this is all making me realize that my mage alt will just not happen with the console controls. I'm already jugging too many menues with my archer

Detect life-->equip bow-->equip shield and axe when people in melee range

The favorite and quick key system kinda sucks, I wish left would save one config and right another
Totally agree. I have a shitload of spells already and I'm relatively early into the game. What annoys me is that I can't just summon an atronach and then hit a button to go back to dual wielding sparks. I have to go into the menu for basically every spell I want to use. I might actually prefer more of a MMO setup, where there is a hotbar on the bottom of the screen that I can put whatever spells I want into. Then I'd barely ever have to pause the action but I guess I'd have to play with KB/M which is ok.

Hazanko

Banned
Not at all. Perks wise, you aren't going to want to try and actually max out every tree, but you could comfortably put perks into all of them. Skills wise you want a decent stable of stuff being raised so that you are leveling consistently as you get higher (30+). I would probably add Block to that list, in fact; use Block, One Handed and Heavy Armor as your "primary" dumps where you slot most of your perks, and Restoration, Smithing and Enchanting as your "secondary" where you level them regularly but don't slot as many perks.

Yeah, well I'm not planning on getting everything from these trees. Just getting things I want from each tree really. I am planning on focusing more on armour and weapon though. For block, I've actually been using wards from the restoration tree, I'm not actually sure if they are any decent compared to blocking. It just saved me having to use perks in the blocking tree.

Yo Gotti

Banned

I imagine that this would be very hard in Skyrim compared to Oblivion, but maybe it's doable. You can still level up your armor and weapons by Blacksmithing. Power yourself up through enchanting, etc. Using no perks is going to put you at a serious disadvantage though.

The world is enormous, it extends past the clouded areas and there's actually stuff out there. Plus you can't see the size of these dungeons before you go in, some of them are enormous, add them all to the size of the world map and you have a ridiculously huge game.

GeoramA

Man, all the ritual stones are kinda useless except the Steed Stone.

Along with the extra pockets perk, high stamina, and a follower, I'm never over-encumbered and I'm making a shitload of money.

Moofers

Tell me about it. I've had to restart like 10 times now because both Lydia and Aela have gotten stuck on terrain and have been unable to move. Its infuriating. The bugs are really starting to kill this game for me. Its going from game of the year contender to "had fun with it".

Top Bottom