• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Question on the thieves guild.

In Oblivion the thieves guild had... not quite honor, but something. They weren't evil. They were fighting against corruption and uneven justice.

I found myself in Riften and it's a city filled with corruption. First thing I hear (not a spoiler, cause literally everyone talks about it) is how this one opulent and truly corrupt citizen has the thieves guild wrapped around her finger while she brutalizes the city.

I don't need details, but I would like to know if Skyrim's thieves guild is as corrupt and evil as it appears on the surface.

I did the whole questline and nothing seemed particularly evil to me. They even say that killing people is a last resort, you'd be better off going to jail and paying the fine if you get caught.
The thieves guild in this game is in dire straits, they're falling apart and need to build up a name for themselves
. It's worth doing the questline even if this version of thieves guild seems to exist in a grey area instead of a group of robin hood types.

robotrock

Banned
Does anyone else have this glitch where Esbern in the main quest can't talk and his animations get bugged? For example, he kept on putting the same book down on a table, he did not open the door for me, and his subtitles go really quick.

Gravijah

I just finished Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim.

I have to say, Dark Brotherhood quest was MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT.

DB quest in Oblivion was way more satisfying than this piece of sh. WTF is this, Bethesda?

thieves guild is much better, imo.

dark brotherhood:

it always felt like it was moving towards something bigger, but it... doesn't. you get to your new sanctuary with the survivors, and then nothing really happens.

I keep hearing about
a reusable black soul gem for enchanting. It has something to do with a shrine, I remember? What quest chain lets me get it?

xxczx

dark brotherhood:

it always felt like it was moving towards something bigger, but it... doesn't. you get to your new sanctuary with the survivors, and then nothing really happens.
plus the new sanctuary is shit, I prefer the old one. I have to admit I didn't expect Astrids nearly-dead body when I walked round the corner, found it sad in a way but that bitch tried to kill me.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
:/

When I go to Markarth, the guards confront me. I say I'll go to jail. Then there's an option for "what's the problem" or something.

I get trappeed in a convo loop and if I try to just leave they attack me.

Gravijah

plus the new sanctuary is shit, I prefer the old one. I have to admit I didn't expect Astrids nearly-dead body when I walked round the corner, found it sad in a way but that bitch tried to kill me.

i did enjoy it (that part especially) and i think
killing the emperor was pretty damn cool. but it still wasn't quite as good as oblivions, and it felt a bit.. incomplete.

Kikarian

dark brotherhood:

I think the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion was better. It seems to industrialised and not really secret anymore.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm loving this game way too much now. Magic is so much better than it was in Oblivion. I am loving my conjuration/destruction/alteration mage. I will summon an atronach in a room, then place a rune on the ground in front of me as a safety mine in case the enemy comes after me, and then I have my mage companion who does a ton of damage. Shooting magic just feels right and dual casting is fucking bad ass.

I just installed the mod that let's you kill kids but I haven't tried it yet. I don't want to tinker with the gameplay mods at all yet, but I do want to be able to silence the snotty little shits that I come across lol

Derrick01

Banned
I just finished Dark Brotherhood quest in Skyrim.

I have to say, Dark Brotherhood quest was MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT.

DB quest in Oblivion was way more satisfying than this piece of sh. WTF is this, Bethesda?

Yup it was a huge disappointment. Honestly a lot of the guilds and quests feel like disappointments compared to Oblivion. I would probably say the Thieves guild is better as a whole but
it doesn't have a massive heist like stealing the elder scroll
. The only one I haven't done yet is the mages guild.

I think I'm going to start a new character as a warrior or mage. Since my thief/assassin is apparently broken I may as well roll a character that is competent in non-stealth combat.

I think I screwed over one of the few fences I have in the game. Joined the thieves guild and sold the armor right away, now I have a quest to exchange pieces of my armor for other pieces from the fence, but I sold them all and she isn't letting me buy anything back until I exchange them. Am I screwed or is there some way to get another piece of thieves guild armor?

Gravijah

The problem I have with the thieves guild is
it continues after the main quest is finished to restore the TG to its former glory and it is a real grind to finish.

yeah, definitely a grind, but it was still nice to have incentive to do the radiant quests.

I just finished the main quest storyline. All I have to say is: are you serious?
There's no cutscene or anything to make me feel like I just saved the world! The dragon explodes and I get sent back and....I'm at the throat of the world and no one shows up or anything. Sure, paarthanux shows up but I doubt I will see him again. Where's esbern? Why isn't there any cutscene showing the world is better? Can I still kill dragons? Why did they take such an awesome final quest and ruin it? The whole sovengarde thing was awesome, and then you win and you expect everyone to cheer for you but no one shows up. You're just watching a bunch of dragons fly away. Whoever thought of the main quest storyline deserves to be fired imo. It's so good and then.......nothing.
Sorry for the huge spoiler wall of text, but it's the only way I can vent my anger without spoiling everyone else's fun.

TekDragon

Banned
I don't know how people are enjoying the thieves guild if all you are is the bitch of the corrupt local oligarchy.

It'd be like playing Deus Ex and fighting for the evil corporations.

Tenck

Yeah and it doesn't work all of the time for whatever reason, probably because they can already spot me really easy. The invisibility given by that perk only lasts about 1 second.

By any chance are you walking? When I was playing just crouching wasn't enough. I had to press the walk button (caps lock for PC) and I could finally get past people.

I don't know how people are enjoying the thieves guild if all you are is the bitch of the corrupt local oligarchy.

Just going there to sell stuff is worth it for me. So far I'm playing as a Sneaky Archer. The Thieves guild is a perfect fit for me. Just need to turn into
werewolf
and I can be deadly from any range.

Kikarian

I'm loving this game way too much now. Magic is so much better than it was in Oblivion. I am loving my conjuration/destruction/alteration mage. I will summon an atronach in a room, then place a rune on the ground in front of me as a safety mine in case the enemy comes after me, and then I have my mage companion who does a ton of damage. Shooting magic just feels right and dual casting is fucking bad ass.

I just installed the mod that let's you kill kids but I haven't tried it yet. I don't want to tinker with the gameplay mods at all yet, but I do want to be able to silence the snotty little shits that I come across lol
There's a mod to do this?

I can now go on a killing spree of the kids, who think they are better than anyone. Bethesda, you really did go over-board with the kids saying stuff and you not being able to kill them!

Gravijah

you aren't. maven black-briar has almost no involvement after the beginning.

Yeah im not a massive fan of that part, I felt like an asshole doing some of the stuff and there wasnt any kind of niceish way to go about doing any of it via pursuade or just out right telling the woman to do one.

TekDragon

Banned
you aren't. maven black-briar has almost no involvement after the beginning.

And the fact that you don't rob her blind and expose her during the quest line shows the thieves guild in Skyrim is the polar opposite of the one in Oblivion.

I don't know why Bethesda decided to turn the thieves guild into an oppressive band of jack boot licking under-thugs.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah im not a massive fan of that part, I felt like an asshole doing some of the stuff and there wasnt any kind of niceish way to go about doing any of it via pursuade or just out right telling the woman to do one.

I haven't played Thieves and Dark Brotherhood lines but props to Bethesda if they made assholes to behave like assholes and didn't turn them into charming daredevils. I wish they did the same for the main quest.

Noricart

I like how nearly everyone in the thread is agreeing that (general quest spoiler)
the quest-lines just come to an abrupt end/not really hit a good climax.

Is there somewhere I can go to level up enchanting?

Also, I'm not totally sure on the process... anyone have like a link to a guide or wiki or whatnot?

Many thanks!

TekDragon

Banned
I haven't played Thieves and Dark Brotherhood lines but props to Bethesda if they made assholes to behave like assholes and didn't turn them into charming daredevils. I wish they did the same for the main quest.

Uhhh... there's plenty of factions that are assholes acting like assholes. Bandits, necromancers, evil mercenaries, etc.

The Skyrim Thieves Guild is a perversion of the one in Morrowind and Cyrodiil (and likely the rest of the civilized nations). It's supposed to be about fighting inequality and opulence.

Yeah it was underwhelming. I stood there for a few seconds waiting for something else to happen then I just left. I should've killed Paarthurnax right then.

So
can I still kill other dragons or are my dragon killing days over? Also, can I ever get to see Paarthurnax again? What about Esbern and the other one? I tried looking for them but they were nowhere to be found? I also couldn't find the highbeards.
wtf bethesda! Did you accidentally stop development of the game just so you could reach that gimmicky 11/11/11 release date? Cause it honestly seems like you did.

www.uesp.net/

great wiki.

also, there's an enchanting trainer in the college of winterhold.
Thanks. I was running around everywhere in the college and couldn't find the dude. I had seen him before, too >_<

EDIT - Huh, such a complicated process. I have to find souls and put them in soul gems and then yadda yadda. I guess I'll just skip enchanting for now.

Wanace

So
can I still kill other dragons or are my dragon killing days over? Also, can I ever get to see Paarthurnax again? What about Esbern and the other one? I tried looking for them but they were nowhere to be found? I also couldn't find the highbeards.
wtf bethesda! Did you accidentally stop development of the game just so you could reach that gimmicky 11/11/11 release date? Cause it honestly seems like you did.

You can still see Paarthurnax, Esbern and Delphine if you so desire. And yes, you'll still be attacked by dragons in the world and there are lots of mountaintop peaks where dragons live and you can find them.

Korosenai

Does anyone know where I can go to sell my stuff for quick cash?

Right now I only know two people (my wife in the game, and that girl in thieves guild). I've got a ton of stuff and don't feel like waiting a day a time for them to restock their coins.

ckohler

What's a good strategy for fighting mages when you yourself are a Mage? I'm level 19 and I'm now fighting stronger mages. They use wards and keep blocking my shots.

scy

Thanks. I was running around everywhere in the college and couldn't find the dude. I had seen him before, too >_<

EDIT - Huh, such a complicated process. I have to find souls and put them in soul gems and then yadda yadda. I guess I'll just skip enchanting for now.

I basically grinded my Enchanting by just going from town to town to town (Winterun, Riften, Winterhold) and checking Mage vendors and General Stores for pre-filled Petty to Common gems (eventually, Grands just to stockpile them). Use those to enchant Iron Daggers or whatever you have a ton of and go through your Enchants one by one to see what gives you the most bang for your buck (Banish is the hands down best I believe; the Absorbs are all nice as well if you don't have Banish and Enchanting Sneak gives a huge boon to Armor/Jewelry for some reason).

Or just make a weapon with Soul Trap enchanted onto it and kill things in the wild. Bonus if you do it with
the Black Star, so you can just kill an enemy, trap their soul, recharge weapon, rinse, repeat until max Enchanting

Edit: As an aside, anyone use the Investor perk and have vendors randomly revert back? I got my normal vendor of choice (the Warmaiden owner) up to ~6000 Gold and had it kept there for awhile. Now he's down to ~1600 and I can't figure out why. He seems to break the most often so I'm having a suspicion it has something to do with the other vendor since they seem to have a shared max Gold pool despite having two separate inventories/gold stashes.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
CHEEZMO&#8482;;32835679 said:
:/

When I go to Markarth, the guards confront me. I say I'll go to jail. Then there's an option for "what's the problem" or something.

I get trappeed in a convo loop and if I try to just leave they attack me.

Apologies for quoting myself, but in regards to this; would I be able to stay away until I use one of my perks on the Bribery option and see if that works?

I'm effectively barred from Markarth because they always try to kill me -_-

Played for about 10 hours, [spoilers]done a surprising amount of the main quest, up until I killed the dragon with the Blades woman. Also just finished the Battle of Whiterun with the Imperials.[/spoilers]

What's really impressive is how content packed this is. It reminds me of Fallout:NV in how there seems to be things to do everywhere. There's so many more quests, particularly smaller ones, and there's more variety than in previous ES games. At the same time, the world is the same size or larger than Oblivion's with an increased vertical-ness.

oneils

CHEEZMO™;32834464 said:
"Assist the people of Hjaarlmarch (2/3)"

Where could I find someone that needs help?

I think you can
donate a penny to either a drunk or broke person - if you can find one in the hold
. That should be considered a deed that goes toward the quest.

Wanace

CHEEZMO™;32836632 said:
Apologies for quoting myself, but in regards to this; would I be able to stay away until I use one of my perks on the Bribery option and see if that works?

I'm effectively barred from Markarth because they always try to kill me -_-

Do they say "Wait, I know you..." and you say "You're making a mistake?"

After that you should have the option to pay, or go to jail etc. Make sure you're scrolling down, there could be dialogue options that are hidden.

I have no perks in Speechcraft and have never run into this problem. Alternatively you can join the Thieves Guild and then bribe them by saying you're with the guild, but I think that doesn't remove your bounty, only delays it.

Rimfya

Banned
I think I've plunged too far deep into the main quest -- tell me am I near the end?

Me, Daphine and the guy from the Ratsway are headed off into some mountain to find Alduin's Wall. It doesn't feel like the end but the way Daphine talks to the guy in the bar sounds like it might be. Wondering if I should pull out now as my desire to keep playing might diminish if I finish it now.

I think I've plunged too far deep into the main quest -- tell me am I near the end?

Me, Daphine and the guy from the Ratsway are headed off into some mountain to find Alduin's Wall. It doesn't feel like the end but the way Daphine talks to the guy in the bar sounds like it might be. Wondering if I should pull out now as my desire to keep playing might diminish if I finish it now.

two to three hours left if you do it really fast. When you get to the end and you wonder to yourself, "Where's the cutscene." know that there is no cutscene. You finish the main quest and then....that's it. Go on with your life.

Top Bottom