• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Is he the bandit chief in a fort somewhere near orphan rock/helgen? I had the same problem..he was using a battle axe of damage stamina and I couldn't run away from him or use any power attacks. He killed Lydia with one hit. :(

I eventually got him by reloading a previous save file, sneaking up behind up naked (armor make noise) and got a sneak bonus critical hit with my elven greatsword.

I think I know which part you are talking about. There was a bandit marauder which just destroyed me if I try to to head to head with him.

Sneaking + archery is the way to go. I think the game is generally a lot easier if you go sneaking plus archery route. You are usually able to pop in 4-5 shots with sneak attack bonuses before he gets close. That's how I killed the guy.

Spokeys

tell me this glitch you speak of...

He's usually in Haelga's Bunkhouse in Riften or the Black Briar Meadery. Talk to him and choose the
Tell me about Maven Black-Briar
and choose the Persuade option. You can keep on repeating the persuade option and it will still count as experience for Speech.

Orlandu84

Even after more than 10 random dragon encounters the fights are still so good. I came across one outside of Markarth. We were fighting it near the edge of a cliff when it took off and started fighting with a random Imperial soldier a little further away. As I rushed over toward them the dragon grabbed the Imperial in its jaws, thrashed him around like a doll and then flung his body off of the cliff. O_O Just out of curiosity I re-loaded the save I made right before the fight started and that didn't happen again, it was totally unscripted.

I was exploring in the mountains when a Blood Dragon attacked me. As I was fighting it, our battle spilled into a bandit controlled fort. Killing the dragon weakened me up so much, that the fight with the remaining bandits took twice as long as my fight with the dragon! These dragon fights are just plain awesome for being so unpredictable!

Mothman91

Aight guys, 100 smithing. Oh yeah, but Daedric armor is better for me as I've heard (Heavy armor). So is it better to put my point into Dragon smithing, and make the armor for profit? ORRRR, just sell my scales/bones by itself?

Mik2121

Damn.. I thought I had become sort of friends with this old lady from the stable outside Whiterun. The lady called Lillith Maiden-Loom. But today I was on my way to a quest over at Fort Fellhammer when a dragon appeared. I fought as hard as I could, but the damn dragon kept making his way to Whiterun. I saw him throw some fire breath around the ground behind some walls I couldn't see.
After killing him from afar with my bow and looting everything he had, I noticed that besides a guard corpse, there was also another dark silhouette. I feared the worst.. and it was, indeed. Ol' Lillith Maiden-Loom was dead.

And all she had of valor was 8 coins and the keys to the stable. I took 'em.

Is he the bandit chief in a fort somewhere near orphan rock/helgen? I had the same problem..he was using a battle axe of damage stamina and I couldn't run away from him or use any power attacks. He killed Lydia with one hit. :(

I eventually got him by reloading a previous save file, sneaking up behind him naked (armor make noise) and got a sneak bonus critical hit with my elven greatsword.

It was in east empire trading warehouse. Everybody in there was tough as balls with what i had. I need more conjuration and enchanting, cause destruction blows at this point (lvl26).
Edit: brine water grotto is the place.

mr.beers

Should I finish the main quest before thieves guild and dark brotherhood?

Edit: meaning will either of these quests effect the outcome of the main quest or vice versa? Do the advanced shouts break the game?

HTuran

5ZiPal.jpg

One mountain too many for ol' Frosty.

PnDsyl.jpg

eek5

It was in east empire trading warehouse. Everybody in there was tough as balls with what i had. I need more conjuration and enchanting, cause destruction blows at this point (lvl26).
Edit: brine water grotto is the place.
There is no destruction damage buff so it never gets really good unless you cheese it with 100% enchant so you can spam expert/master spells. One thing you can do at lower level is get dual casting and impact and spam double flame instead of keeping it held down. I'm pretty sure you can stun lock opponents while backpeddling.

edit: I think they should've made the destruction enchant buff the destruction damage instead of reducing magicka cost. Destruction benefits the most from reduced magicka cost and it doesn't make sense. The master spells do like 100 damage compared to bows and swords that can hit for hundreds late game. Doesn't make sense

balddemon

Banned
ok since my previous question is mostly irrelevant now, whats the best way to level up alchemy? i jjust made 100 healing potions, got me up two levels. anything add more experience?

I've noticed a couple of times dragons will swoop over my character but never actually attack me. How do I make them come down so I can kill them? I tried shooting arrows and ice bolts, no luck.

eek5

ok since my previous question is mostly irrelevant now, whats the best way to level up alchemy? i jjust made 100 healing potions, got me up two levels. anything add more experience?

I think the best thing is to create 3-5 effect potions. That's what got it up the most for me. Also use trainers every level

Dark Brotherhood quest line is extremely enjoyable. I actually felt kind of bad about
killing the emperor because he was so polite :(

I did too and
I thought about killing the contact but you're not supposed to do that against someone who performs the Black Sacrament.

Mothman91

Ok I got a question about enchanting. I want to put an enchant on my weapons/armor, but am wonder if I'm able to put an enchant on that weapon/armor in the future once I find something better to put on it. Am I able to do that, or once I put an enchant on an weapon/piece of armor, I can't put another enchant over it "destroying" the previous enchant. Anyone?

Rookie

Neo Member
Yes.

How anyone's Lydia survived anything outside of guarding the house is a shock to me.

My Lydia, helps me slay dragons, kill Bandits and is generally awesome. She wears enchanted plate mail that I gave her with a nice dwarven sword that she swings at nasty people.

HTuran

I did too and
I thought about killing the contact but you're not supposed to do that against someone who performs the Black Sacrament.

Oh, but that line. How could I not.

There is one last thing... An honourable request, from an honourable man.

Ok I got a question about enchanting. I want to put an enchant on my weapons/armor, but am wonder if I'm able to put an enchant on that weapon/armor in the future once I find something better to put on it. Am I able to do that, or once I put an enchant on an weapon/piece of armor, I can't put another enchant over it "destroying" the previous enchant. Anyone?

You can get a perk at lv. 100 that lets you enchant twice, but otherwise no.

Once you enchant something, it's done, you can't undo it. You'll have to find/smith another copy of that item.

Once you enchant something, it's done, you can't undo it. You'll have to find/smith another copy of that item.

Correct, but it's also worth stating that there isn't really anything so precious out there that it would be ruinous to put a 'suboptimal' enchantment on it. So don't stress it too much.

So best option is to get the 100% enchanter and enchant the weapons/armor for best stats? I have the daedric sets, and those ebony ores are hard to find.
Once you get to a high enough level, even things like ebony ingots and daedra hearts can be bought in stores, so unless your enchanting is really low, waiting for a higher enchanting level isn't really necessary.

Raxus

So best option is to get the 100% enchanter and enchant the weapons/armor for best stats? I have the daedric sets, and those ebony ores are hard to find.

I just enchanted iron daggers with paralyze/absorb health and sold them. It is great for making cash and you can flip stones people sell you like crazy (I did most of my enchanting in whiterun and the court mage and the general goods store clerk sell stones (empty and full). Buy what you can and keep enchanting until you reach level 100.

Also disenchant everything you can, doesn't matter how good the item is as long as you put points into enchanting you will have better enchants than anything the game offers.

*edit* Just to give you an idea how buying expensive stones still nets you a profit on enchanting). Just with 100% improved enchanting I managed to make 10 gold daggers worth around 450 gold with one enchant. It is a crazy money maker.

If you need someone to help you fill your soul gems then get a (non mage) partner to hold the empty soul gems and give them strong soul capture weapons.

Aight guys, 100 smithing. Oh yeah, but Daedric armor is better for me as I've heard (Heavy armor). So is it better to put my point into Dragon smithing, and make the armor for profit? ORRRR, just sell my scales/bones by itself?

Oh, is dragon armor light armor? Maybe I should just sell all these dragon bones and stuff I've been accumulating for when my smithing gets high enough...

Wallach

There is no destruction damage buff so it never gets really good unless you cheese it with 100% enchant so you can spam expert/master spells. One thing you can do at lower level is get dual casting and impact and spam double flame instead of keeping it held down. I'm pretty sure you can stun lock opponents while backpeddling.

edit: I think they should've made the destruction enchant buff the destruction damage instead of reducing magicka cost. Destruction benefits the most from reduced magicka cost and it doesn't make sense. The master spells do like 100 damage compared to bows and swords that can hit for hundreds late game. Doesn't make sense

There aren't any passive enchantment damage buffs for magic, but all of the potion buffs that fortify spell schools increase damage/effectiveness rather than duration or spell cost. You can make them incredibly strong by investing into the Alchemy tree. I don't know just how strong you can make them but I know someone said they were using +170% Destruction damage potions. On top of that, if you really wanted to you could use resistance poison to cause stupid amounts of damage. I think it's pretty fair that way, considering magicka is a self-replenishing resource and you have such strong control & utility as a mage on top of that.

Oh, is dragon armor light armor? Maybe I should just sell all these dragon bones and stuff I've been accumulating for when my smithing gets high enough...

Dragon plate is heavy and dragonscale is light armor.

However, daedric armor edges out dragonplate AND there are no dragon weapons in the game (yet) so I would just sell the bones and put the point elsewhere if you don't plan on leveling light armor.

Yeah, the only reason to do otherwise is because dragon bones are really easy to find, especially compared to daedra hearts.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

There are two kinds of dragon armor. One is plate/heavy armor, the other is scale/light armor. For heavy armor, daedric has better stats, but for light armor, dragon armor has the best starting stats.

GhaleonEB

I'm on what I think is the last main quest of the Thieves Guild and I'm really confused.

After getting past Gallus, I was attacked and killed by another Nightingale Sentinel. Am I really supposed to be killing them?

One more question, is it save to store my stuff in my room in winterholm? I have a shit ton of dragon scales and bones with me that I don't want to sell and they take up like 100 something weight.

Pollux

The guy at the counter at the Black Briar Meadery, you can ask him about Maven and infinitely choose the persuade option.

Thank you. and now my speech skill is 100 lol. well worth it just to make a profit on those damn iron daggers i've been making on smithing.

Yes, today I found a Dragonbone shield in a chest at the end of a dungeon. I was level 43.

Nearly 70 hours and level 47 for me and I haven't seen anything beyond occasional pieces of ebony, so I feel like the perks spent on smithing are well worth fast forwarding yourself 40+ hours in the itemization game. The only drawback I really see that it takes the fun out of certain other aspects of the game, like looking forward to item chests, and the combat is quite boring when any fear of death is gone because your maxed out, fully upgraded heavy armor and doubled up 100% enchants cause you to take damage from absolutely nothing, while dealing ridiculous damage with regular two-handed swings. On master difficulty, it takes about 7 clicks to kill a dragon, mammoth, or giant. Casters were giving me a bit of trouble until I stacked a few 18% magic resist enchants and picked up the 50% magic absorb stone.

scy

How anyone's Lydia survived anything outside of guarding the house is a shock to me.

Not sure if it is the same for PS3/360 but Companions are basically unkillable unless they're inflicted with a Lingering Damage effect or hit by friendly fire.

Plus, you can always give them some ridiculous equipment.

ok so i'm trying to get some good enchanting potions made. my alchemy is at 26 (lol i thought it was @ 50, this might be the problem). the strongest i can make (with +75% stronger created potions) are Fortify Enchant potions that last 30 seconds and increase the enchantments by 20%. what gives? do i need a higher level of alchemy?

You basically need maxed Alchemy and with the relevant perks (+100% Effectiveness, +Skill Potion effectiveness) to get the potions at their best.

I just enchanted iron daggers with paralyze/absorb health and sold them.

*edit* Just to give you an idea how buying expensive stones still nets you a profit on enchanting). Just with 100% improved enchanting I managed to make 10 gold daggers worth around 450 gold with one enchant. It is a crazy money maker.

Banish/Paralyze should be the most for dual Enchants I think? I'd have to check as I just drop Banish on them and go on with things. That's around a value of ~2000 even with just a Petty Soul on an Iron Dagger. Pretty damn ridiculous, honestly.

Pollux

Nearly 70 hours and level 47 for me and I haven't seen anything beyond occasional pieces of ebony, so I feel like the perks spent on smithing are well worth fast forwarding yourself 40+ hours in the itemization game. The only drawback I really see that it takes the fun out of certain other aspects of the game, like looking forward to item chests, and the combat is quite boring when any fear of death is gone because your maxed out, fully upgraded heavy armor and doubled up 100% enchants cause you to take damage from absolutely nothing, while dealing ridiculous damage with regular two-handed swings. On master difficulty, it takes about 7 clicks to kill a dragon, mammoth, or giant. Casters were giving me a bit of trouble until I stacked a few 18% magic resist enchants and picked up the 50% magic absorb stone.

But come on...it's pretty damn fun to be god.

At the armor cap Dragr overlords can barely hurt me on master. It might take 10 dual incinerates to take each one down, but they can't kill me now.

Woo-Fu

Banned
In my experience the character builds that wear light armor are also the builds that typically make a point of avoiding getting hit. I wouldn't bother with the dragonscale, I'd just make a few suits of glass armor and use the perk point elsewhere.

You *do* want the daedric perk though as that is what you'll use to make the weapon that 1-hits >90% of the mobs in the game. :p

I have a lvl 46 archer/assassin whose light armor skill is mid-30s because she simply doesn't get hit very often. I should probably power-level it with summons or a wild critter that does low damage.

One interesting thing I noticed is that it seems to put the "hits" on your heaviest piece of armor if you're wearing a mixed set. Before I had any enchanting I had a couple heavy items that I'd carry around for utility (speech, waterbreathing, selling prices, etc.) and I'd often forget and wear them into combat and sure enough if I did get an armor skill up it would be heavy even though the rest of my kit was light.

Wallach

I think when I start a new character that's melee-oriented, I'm going to make a break for the oathblade. I'm pretty sure you can stay high enough to sneak past everything relatively easy... then maybe just fuckin' run your way out? Sounds like a plan to me.

Top Bottom