• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Dresden

In my experience the character builds that wear light armor are also the builds that typically make a point of avoiding getting hit. I wouldn't bother with the dragonscale, I'd just make a few suits of glass armor and use the perk point elsewhere.

You *do* want the daedric perk though as that is what you'll use to make the weapon that 1-hits >90% of the mobs in the game. :p

I have a lvl 46 archer/assassin whose light armor skill is mid-30s because she simply doesn't get hit very often. I should probably power-level it with summons or a wild critter that does low damage.

The thing about Dragonscale is that you can reach it without dipping into the light armor branch of the Smithing tree. Glass is out of reach if you go for Daedric unless you dump points for no reason at all in the left tree.

Raxus

Banish/Paralyze should be the most for dual Enchants I think? I'd have to check as I just drop Banish on them and go on with things. That's around a value of ~2000 even with just a Petty Soul on an Iron Dagger. Pretty damn ridiculous, honestly.

Absorb health is likely the first health a low level will come across when leveling enchanting. Banish and paralyze come much later.

Muffled is pretty good for boots since it doesn't scale, great for burning off petty and lesser gems.

Pollux

Alchemists sometimes sell them. And by sometimes, I mean almost never. Worth checking though, I got one from the alchemist in Whiterun.

cool, I'll check it out tomorrow. Now i'm going to bed. Good night all. Good night Skyrim. Good night you annoying dragons that are not as bothersome as flies since I'm decked out in ebony armor enchanted to the max.

scy

Thank you. and now my speech skill is 100 lol. well worth it just to make a profit on those damn iron daggers i've been making on smithing.

Where do I find "Daedra Hearts"

Pray that you see one for sale on Alchemy vendors? Besides that, there's
three from the Azura Star quest and a few as part of the Mehrune questline. I think the student Mage Guild vendor sells two pretty often

The thing about Dragonscale is that you can reach it without dipping into the light armor branch of the Smithing tree. Glass is out of reach if you go for Daedric unless you dump points for no reason at all in the left tree.

Plus, Glass Armor looks atrocious. Also, for those who didn't know, you can't go Dragon Smithing -> Daedric (or Dragon -> Glass) since there's pre-requisites. Probably obvious but, hey, worth mentioning. Maybe.

Absorb health is likely the first health a low level will come across when leveling enchanting. Banish and paralyze come much later.

Muffled is pretty good for boots since it doesn't scale, great for burning off petty and lesser gems.

True. Thought it was just on a profit scheme since dual Enchanting was in play. Plus, Banish is seemingly fairly rare (or I just have terrible luck, whichever) anyway. Absorb Health is fairly common and is still worth a good amount. Probably the most likely best option for doing the Enchanting grind.

Raxus

cool, I'll check it out tomorrow. Now i'm going to bed. Good night all. Good night Skyrim. Good night you annoying dragons that are not as bothersome as flies since I'm decked out in ebony armor enchanted to the max.

If you want daedric hearts then check the College. There is a guy who deals with black market items there that almost always has them for sale.

Zeliard

So lame that spells don't unlock till you hit the proper level threshold, i.e. expert spells not unlocking for any spell type until you hit skill level 75 with them. You could have a solid magicka count & regen and still be forced to wait arbitrarily.

The perks that halve mana cost don't unlock until you reach the appropriate skill level anyway, so that would ensure that higher-level spells have a high mana cost and keep them limited in combat. But they should still be somehow available if the player wants to use his entire magicka reserve to unleash one powerful spell. They would also be fairly expensive to buy earlier on, keeping these same prices, so that's another natural and appropriate limitation.

If nothing else, they should have at least made its so you can create higher-level spells earlier on through the Atronach Forge by going around and procuring certain rare materials. That would have rewarded the mage player for working early to travel around and find certain things, as well as had a skill level limit that could be legitimately circumvented if the person was willing to work for it.

Instead you just have to wait till the proper skill level, at which point every vendor in Skyrim is apparently informed of the Dovahkiin's status. Like most forms of scaling, it sucks from both a gameplay and immersion standpoint.

Wallach

So lame that spells don't unlock till you hit the proper level threshold, i.e. expert spells not unlocking for any spell type until you hit skill level 75 with them. You could have a solid magicka/count regen and still be forced to wait arbitrarily.

The perks that halve mana cost don't unlock until you reach the appropriate skill level anyway, so that would ensure that higher-level spells have a high mana cost and keep them limited in combat. But they should still be somehow available if the player wants to use his entire magicka reserve to unleash one powerful spell. They would also be fairly expensive to buy earlier on, keeping these same prices, so that's another natural and appropriate limitation.

If nothing else, they should have at least made its so you can create higher-level spells earlier on through the Atronach Forge by going around and procuring certain rare materials. That would have rewarded the mage player for working early to travel around and find certain things, as well as well as had a skill level limit that could be legitimately circumvented if the person was willing to work for it.

Instead you just have to wait till the proper skill level, at which point every vendor in Skyrim is apparently informed of the Dovahkiin's status. Like most forms of scaling, it sucks from both a gameplay and immersion standpoint.

Yeah, I can't say I really understand the logic behind skill gating spell tomes. They regulate themselves through magicka cost, if not just plain cost since they are fairly expensive per tome at higher ranks.

GhaleonEB

Okay, 2/5 of the way through the last Thieves Guild quest.

The statue - what does she want? Something intangible, not material, but I can't figure out what that might be; there are no prompts. Been souring this place for a while.

The notes in the journal about the first test being the Sentinels makes sense now.

Edit: I tried lighting the candles with a flame spell and the game hard locked on me, my first. I'm guessing that's not it. :lol

Edit: found'em! It was the exact opposite of what I was trying. :lol

Dresden

I was really disappointed when I learned that some rewards for faction/guild questlines were scaled. You'd think that after all that negative feedback from Oblivion, Bethesda would take note.

scy

Okay, 2/5 of the way through the last Thieves Guild quest.

The statue - what does she want? Something intangible, not material, but I can't figure out what that might be; there are no prompts. Been souring this place for a while.

The notes in the journal about the first test being the Sentinels makes sense now.

Edit: I tried lighting the candles with a flame spell and the game hard locked on me, my first. I'm guessing that's not it. :lol

You just
pull the two chains next to the candles

I was really disappointed when I learned that some rewards for faction/guild questlines were scaled. You'd think that after all that negative feedback from Oblivion, Bethesda would take note.

Really? What scales if you happen to know off-hand.

Goddamnit, I just beat an elder dragon and was up on this high narrow cliff when I dragon voiced on accident. Now I'm not sure if I echo'd or if the vibration caused my finger to hit down on the stick but I ended up falling to my death. Didn't get the damn soul either.

Grrrrrr.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, what the fuck were they thinking with the magical anomalies (mage college quest(? I've been fighting them for like ten minutes now, and they're still all over the place. It's not that they're hard to fight, but they seem to have a massive pool of HP. Is there any trick to killing them, or is it just goofy like that?

scy

The
Nightingale Armor
, according to the wiki. The buffs to stamina and such change according to your level. Same for weapons.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveled_Items

Note that you can ignore all of the robes on this list. As far as the player is concerned those items aren't really leveled.

Figures. I actually just finished getting
the Nightingale set
but it's maxed out so I suppose that's not a big deal. It's not like the Enchants on most of them are any good which is more disappointing than them scaling honestly.

Eagerly awaiting some mods down the road to add some of the Unique equipment that can be player Enchanted at the very least; some of the Armors look too good to be stuck with their terrible enchants.

Wallach

Man, what the fuck were they thinking with the magical anomalies (mage college quest(? I've been fighting them for like ten minutes now, and they're still all over the place. It's not that they're hard to fight, but they seem to have a massive pool of HP. Is there any trick to killing them, or is it just goofy like that?

Pretty sure they have stupid levels of magic resistance. It took me quite a while to get through that part.

Zeliard

Yeah, I can't say I really understand the logic behind skill gating spell tomes. They regulate themselves through magicka cost, if not just plain cost since they are fairly expensive per tome at higher ranks.

It's a shame since spell combat in Skyrim is otherwise sturdy and a lot of fun. To have allowed for the option of higher-level spells at huge mana costs would have just deepened it, since you're weighing cost versus potential reward (or just fun).

bunbun777

I love sweet rolls. Can not get enough of them.

Currently level 37 with 440 M- 220 H- 100 S-

Destruction is 79, Conjuration 62, Restoration 53

also Arch 53, Sneak and Lockpicking at 69.

I had to retire Lydia. Once you want to start using fireballs and chain lightning and ice storm, anyone that gets in the way is gonna get hurt. I find it more exciting on my own now, when I find a companion I just let them join till they die. Which has only been one so far, an orc that immediately turned on me when i inadvertently fireblasted one of his orc brothers.

Maybe I should be using that one
evil red ebony
blade on companions>? hmm i have no clue really.

Rookie

Neo Member
I am highly enjoying the game so far I am only lvl 23, have slayed a few dragons. I get nervy around giants. I have Bosmer Alchemist/ Archer build and my select poisons seem to really help, I am looking forward to gaining the perk that allows my poisons to last for more than one shot with my arrow, it can be frustrating to poison the bow, and then as a fluke Lydia will step in the way as a loose my arrow into her instead of the target and she falls flat on her face from paralysis.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So lame that spells don't unlock till you hit the proper level threshold, i.e. expert spells not unlocking for any spell type until you hit skill level 75 with them. You could have a solid magicka count & regen and still be forced to wait arbitrarily.

If nothing else, they should have at least made its so you can create higher-level spells earlier on through the Atronach Forge by going around and procuring certain rare materials. That would have rewarded the mage player for working early to travel around and find certain things, as well as had a skill level limit that could be legitimately circumvented if the person was willing to work for it.

I agree but there are plenty of scrolls.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

use the staff you have. also focus on the sphere.

Anyone else bummed at the lack of conjuration spells this time? No more armour, no more daedric beasts, and I really miss the wraiths and liches.

I love how they last much longer this time though, they've certainly been useful.

Wallach

It's a shame since spell combat in Skyrim is otherwise sturdy and a lot of fun. To have allowed for the option of higher-level spells at huge mana costs would have just deepened it, since you're weighing cost versus potential reward (or just fun).

It is, though I can't say I felt like it was too big of a deal, either. I think they were trying to instill a sense of progression for mages where itemization was not really going to fill that role, but it feels weird because the world never really addresses it directly, it just happens.

I almost like the idea that the patrons of the College would not sell you these tomes unless you were at least approaching the skill needed to "safely" cast them. That is, after all, one of the driving themes of the institution - though I would have appreciated them directly stating as much when inquiring about buying spells. I think it would be smarter to solve this through better world itemization (both placed and random), and the occasional less scrupulous (or ignorant) vendor who might sell a particular high level tome to anyone without worry for caution.

Edit - A mechanism like the Atronach Forge would have also been a cool way to give the player means to acquire spells.

I finally finished the main quest, and
man what a let down. There's no closure at all, Alduin dies, you teleport back, and some random dragons are chanting. Does Paarthurnax talk to you if he's still alive, because this is just awful. I feel like random fetch quests got more of an ending than the main quest.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay guys, so apparently you do NOT want to use your storm shout when fighting a dragon in the middle of town.
Morthal is now littered with bodies.
They were dicks, anyway.

Rookie

Neo Member
Skyrim 1.2 Patch Due by December 2??

I was just reading games on Net, and they have stated that a patch will be released no later than december 2nd. Does anyone know if this is factual?

Pretty sure they have stupid levels of magic resistance. It took me quite a while to get through that part.

i just smacked away with a bound sword, it seemed easier than trying to magic them.

Zeliard

It is, though I can't say I felt like it was too big of a deal, either. I think they were trying to instill a sense of progression for mages where itemization was not really going to fill that role, but it feels weird because the world never really addresses it directly, it just happens.

Well, I think that sense of progression would naturally come as the game goes on, when enchants start improving and you start amassing large magicka reserves and a speedy regen, able to unleash several higher-level spells when earlier in the game you're much more limited. By the time I had level 75 Conjuration spells I didn't really feel like I had progressed to that point, but rather that I should have had the access to this stuff far earlier.

Wallach said:
I almost like the idea that the patrons of the College would not sell you these tomes unless you were at least approaching the skill needed to "safely" cast them. That is, after all, one of the driving themes of the institution - though I would have appreciated them directly stating as much when inquiring about buying spells. I think it would be smarter to solve this through better world itemization (both placed and random), and the occasional less scrupulous (or ignorant) vendor who might sell a particular high level tome to anyone without worry for caution.

Edit - A mechanism like the Atronach Forge would have also been a cool way to give the player means to acquire spells.

It isn't necessarily being locked out of buying them that bugs me - though I do feel it's jarring (there's an actual black market guy at the Mage College after all) - but being locked out of them entirely. I think having an option to complete various side quests and/or find various items to be able to gain access to them earlier would have been a good idea, like the Atronach Forge thing. It would have benefited the more adventurous player who wants to take risks and face difficulty earlier on to get something nice in return.

Derrick01

Banned

The scary thing is they do. Supposedly Howard himself reads the gaf OTs and no doubt other sites/forums. So basically they just blatantly ignored complaints about loot scaling.

Ezduo

Banned
Do enchanted items stack? I've got two pieces of equipments that raise my one handed by 14%, does that mean it's twice as powerful or does it just raise it the 14%?

Rookie

Neo Member
Do enchanted items stack? I've got two pieces of equipments that raise my one handed by 14%, does that mean it's twice as powerful or does it just raise it the 14%?

Can you check in your active effects section under magic. Hopefully it should show the effects there.

Ezduo

Banned
Can you check in your active effects section under magic. Hopefully it should show the effects there.
Hmm, it shows two different "increase one handed by 14%" so I guess that means I get twice the power? Maybe? I assume if I got four magic regeneration enchantments each around 25% that I would regenerate magic instantly? Or something?

Wallach

Well, I think that sense of progression would naturally come as the game goes on, when enchants start improving and you start amassing large magicka reserves and a speedy regen, able to unleash several higher-level spells when earlier in the game you're much more limited. By the time I had level 75 Conjuration spells I didn't really feel like I had progressed to that point, but rather that I should have had the access to this stuff far earlier.

I do too. In fact, as much as people talk about loot scaling, mage progression in this sense is actually quite a bit more rigid. There definitely needs to be some more options in place like the High Gate Ruins stuff to even get to parity.

Does siding with the imperials/stormcloaks offer different rewards/powers?

I'm thinking of siding with the stormcloaks since I'm playing a nord and have always hated the imperials. But I feel the imperial faction would have better rewards?

Rookie

Neo Member
Hmm, it shows two different "increase one handed by 14%" so I guess that means I get twice the power? Maybe? I assume if I got four magic regeneration enchantments each around 25% that I would regenerate magic instantly? Or something?

I would assume so as well. the best way to check would be by doing a similar cheap experiment with heath, stamina or magicka enchantments. then you should be able to actually see the increases in numbers on those traits.

Wallach

Well no, +100% magicka regeneration would grant you twice what your normal magicka regeneration rate is, silly.

Aspiring

This game is amazing! Im now level 9 and I can't put it down. I was worried as I hates Oblivion. I have tried but just can't get into it. But something about this game. Just learned my first shout. It's so addictive. Just one thing really pissed me off.
I was doing the mission with the golden claw, and I got to the part where I needed to activate the door. So I finally realized I had to activate the doors in order and found that order in the claw, but I spent near an hour backtracking thinking I missed something. So I turned it off ate dinner, put it back on and low and behold it let me activate the door!
stupid glitch.

Does siding with the imperials/stormcloaks offer different rewards/powers?

I'm thinking of siding with the stormcloaks since I'm playing a nord and have always hated the imperials. But I feel the imperial faction would have better rewards?

The rewards are the same for each side. In fact, each questline is almost a mirror image of the other. There's no reason to go with one or the other besides roleplaying reasons or personal preference.

Top Bottom