• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Damn, just downloaded this controller mod for the 360 controller on pc; if you haven't it yet I highly recommend it. It lets you assign hotkeys to each direction in the d-pad, and lets you add 4 more when you couple it with the right bumper. Shouts have been changed to y, jump to b, the combination of LB and a, b, x and y take you to your map, magic, items and skills respectively. As a mage, 2 hotkeys just doesn't do the trick.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
tl;dr - I've got a shitload of dragon guts that I need to do something with because I can't loot anything to make money, which I need to buy a house. Do I sell it? Can I make something with it? ALso can I pick up some meaningful sidequests in the College of Winterhold?
I have dropped books on the gorund in Whiterun and they have stayed there ever since. So long as you don't drop valuable shit like that where someone will take it, it should be fine. Any container next to where you sleep in a guild should be fine. Also, if you didn't see already, dragon armor is the ugliest shit in the entire game, and you can improve other armors to amazing levels, so you might just want to sell that shit.

Two things I wish this game had:

The ability to bang my mace twice against my shield in a "come at me bro" kind of way. I've seen some NPCs do this so I wonder if the animation could be modded into your character provided the right things are equipped.

A detailed stat tracking feature per character on the OS level, a la team fortress 2. It would be cool to go online from work and see my character's various skill levels, outstanding quests, general stats, etc.

Pollux

This game is amazing! Im now level 9 and I can't put it down. I was worried as I hates Oblivion. I have tried but just can't get into it. But something about this game. Just learned my first shout. It's so addictive. Just one thing really pissed me off.
I was doing the mission with the golden claw, and I got to the part where I needed to activate the door. So I finally realized I had to activate the doors in order and found that order in the claw, but I spent near an hour backtracking thinking I missed something. So I turned it off ate dinner, put it back on and low and behold it let me activate the door!
stupid glitch.

It's not a glitch, you're supposed to read the thief's journal. Do a little investigation ya know...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damn, just downloaded this controller mod for the 360 controller on pc; if you haven't it yet I highly recommend it. It lets you assign hotkeys to each direction in the d-pad, and lets you add 4 more when you couple it with the right bumper. Shouts have been changed to y, jump to b, the combination of LB and a, b, x and y take you to your map, magic, items and skills respectively. As a mage, 2 hotkeys just doesn't do the trick.

There are some interesting controller mods for sure. I'm waiting to see if that is the best one or we get something inevitably better.

Double D

Just turned into a werewolf, fuck yeah.

Not a spoiler, right?

This seems awesome. I never went vampire in Oblivion because I didn't like the negative aspects, and really don't know anything about becoming a werewolf in Skyrim. What's the pros and cons of going werewolf?

Derrick01

Banned
This seems awesome. I never went vampire in Oblivion because I didn't like the negative aspects, and really don't know anything about becoming a werewolf in Skyrim. What's the pros and cons of going werewolf?

You can't heal normally or access your inventory. You can only heal by feeding on corpses, but you still take damage if there's other people around while you do it and it's an animation you can't break out of manually. You can only do it once per day too I think.

Pros are your health is much bigger and you do a lot more melee damage, though I found the higher you level the less effective you are since the enemies scale and do more damage/take less damage.

Pollux

Yeah, fuck that guy. Dark Brotherhood spoiler:
Attempting to assassinate fellow members of the Brotherhood is not cool. After throwing all that shit at me when I tried to get to him, there was no way in hell I'd let him get away with everything. Also, I didn't summon Lachance when I confronted him so I didn't know that Sithis wanted him alive. Sithis go suck a dick, Cicero is insane.

"Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."

not cool bro, the shade of Lucian Lachance is coming for you and he WILL have a witty retort ready for anything you have to say in your defense

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

Pros: You sprint faster than a horse in wolf form. You cannot become diseased. You are a fucking Werewolf.

Cons: Cannot gain rested bonuses. Can only turn into a wolf once per day. Cannot loot or interact with anything whilst a werewolf.

ttocs

Derrick01 said:
You can't heal normally or access your inventory. You can only heal by feeding on corpses, but you still take damage if there's other people around while you do it and it's an animation you can't break out of manually. You can only do it once per day too I think.

Pros are your health is much bigger and you do a lot more melee damage, though I found the higher you level the less effective you are since the enemies scale and do more damage/take less damage.
That's only when you are in werewolf form. If you are a werewolf, but aren't currently in in the beast form, you can heal normally and access inventory just fine. The only thing is you don't gain sleeping bonuses.

A pro is that you don't contract diseases when you have the werewolf disease.

Syntsui

Guys, I commited the mistake of getting the average Azura Star so I used the console command to get the Black Star. After that I fought a dragon but didn't get its soul. Using the console command somewhat breaks the game or was it a coincidence and I can't get some dragons souls?

Shadybiz

I came across an odd glitch (?) yesterday. I was in one of the dungeons for the Mages Guild questline
the 'fetch 3 books' one
, and my Magicka gauge disappeared. Wouldn't even come up when casting spells, a lot of the time. So I did some experimenting, and found out that I basically had unlimited Magicka. Not sure how this happened. Maybe it's related to the PS3 save file issue? All I know is that I breezed through the dungeon because of it. Hopefully, it fixes itself. Unlimited Magic is cool and all, but I felt dirty for using it.

Double D

I have dropped books on the gorund in Whiterun and they have stayed there ever since. So long as you don't drop valuable shit like that where someone will take it, it should be fine. Any container next to where you sleep in a guild should be fine. Also, if you didn't see already, dragon armor is the ugliest shit in the entire game, and you can improve other armors to amazing levels, so you might just want to sell that shit.

Re: Books - Do you 'need' them? I mean, I'm not really into reading every one of them, so I've just been hitting 'A' to read them and then immediately close them, getting any spells or sidequests that may pop up. But, aside from them having value, once you've gotten what you need out of them, are they just dead weight?

Re: Dragon armor. Looks like shit, huh? Now that I think about it, is it even light armor? I don't wear heavy so that would definitely be a waste of time if you can't make something light. Furthermore, am I even able to make it this early in the game? I'm thinking even if I can't wear it, maybe I should make it and sell it? Or would it be just as cost effective to sell off these dragon guts. Oh, one more question, is this dragon armor the only thing these guts are good for?

Double D

Pros: You sprint faster than a horse in wolf form. You cannot become diseased. You are a fucking Werewolf.

Cons: Cannot gain rested bonuses. Can only turn into a wolf once per day. Cannot loot or interact with anything whilst a werewolf.

That's only when you are in werewolf form. If you are a werewolf, but aren't currently in in the beast form, you can heal normally and access inventory just fine. The only thing is you don't gain sleeping bonuses.

A pro is that you don't contract diseases when you have the werewolf disease.

I never sleep anyways, so I'm not really seeing any reason not to do this. So I get that you can only change from human to werewolf once per day, but can you immediately turn back into a human whenever you want? Another thing, do you transform into a wolf, or like a werewolf humanoid looking thing?

Carcetti

I came across an odd glitch (?) yesterday. I was in one of the dungeons for the Mages Guild questline
the 'fetch 3 books' one
, and my Magicka gauge disappeared. Wouldn't even come up when casting spells, a lot of the time. So I did some experimenting, and found out that I basically had unlimited Magicka. Not sure how this happened. Maybe it's related to the PS3 save file issue? All I know is that I breezed through the dungeon because of it. Hopefully, it fixes itself. Unlimited Magic is cool and all, but I felt dirty for using it.

Siphoning the magic out with the wonder gloves did that to me by giving the character tons of +magicka which faded in couple of hours RL time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Re: Books - Do you 'need' them? I mean, I'm not really into reading every one of them, so I've just been hitting 'A' to read them and then immediately close them, getting any spells or sidequests that may pop up. But, aside from them having value, once you've gotten what you need out of them, are they just dead weight?
The only value is if you want to actually read them. Some of them seem interesting/useful to learn some ES lore, which I don't know. I put them in a chest until I got a bookshelf in my house.

Re: Dragon armor. Looks like shit, huh? Now that I think about it, is it even light armor? I don't wear heavy so that would definitely be a waste of time if you can't make something light.
It can be, but the light version is even uglier.

Furthermore, am I even able to make it this early in the game?
Technically yes, if you grind smithing to 100. But that has all sorts of problems related, so no, not if you are sane.

I'm thinking even if I can't wear it, maybe I should make it and sell it? Or would it be just as cost effective to sell off these dragon guts.
The money you get for it then won't be worth as much as the money you get for the parts now. Also, it's not much more and selling shit in this game sucks ass and is extremely limited anyway.

Oh, one more question, is this dragon armor the only thing these guts are good for?
Pretty much.

Congratulations. You have been informed of the most disappointing aspects of the game.

Double D

Thank you for that detailed answer. Not only will this free up a shit-ton of inventory, but it will get me that much closer to buying a house.

Boogdud

**You can't heal normally or access your inventory. You can only heal by feeding on corpses, but you still take damage if there's other people around while you do it and it's an animation you can't break out of manually. You can only do it once per day too I think.

Just wanted to make it clear that you can't heal normally while you are a wolf. Any other time you're like any other character and can heal normally. Another con is that you can't gain "rested" bonuses (lover's bonus for sleeping next to your hubby, +% xp bonuses, etc. after resting). But that's pretty much it. Also, you are a badass wolf...

Don't forget you can use the shout button as a wolf and it terrifies everyone and they go running, also pushing forward/left/right and holding the attack does a big attack (just like melee weapons), most of the time the enemies go flying way up in the air, it's hilarious.

Naeblish

Just met Ulfric Stormcloak for the first time.

For an alleged war-happy racist, I like his character quite a bit. When you first meet him he has a really long conversation with one of his men and sat through it all, I like what he had to say about the war and his reasons for fighting it. I think all of the racism you hear in the game, etc is meant to represent the extremism brought about by years of oppression, Stormcloak himself doesn't seem to give a fuck about who does what as long as Skyrim prospers. I'd say so far he's the most interesting character in Skyrim that I've met yet.

Plus, he hints that he trained with
the grey beards
, so he's a badass in my book.

I've ignored this part of the game for a long time, but now I'm gonna take a trip to wherever it is that the Imperials are headquartered and hear their side of the story, then pick a side.
The hint is true, i tried a shout just to mess up the table in front of him sending all the stuff flying. But it hit him and they attacked me, he returned me a shout and it 1-shot killed me.

Mupod

Technically yes, if you grind smithing to 100. But that has all sorts of problems related, so no, not if you are sane.

At the end of my descent into blacksmithing, alchemy, enchanting and madness I walked forth a god.

bow.jpg

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I never sleep anyways, so I'm not really seeing any reason not to do this. So I get that you can only change from human to werewolf once per day, but can you immediately turn back into a human whenever you want? Another thing, do you transform into a wolf, or like a werewolf humanoid looking thing?

You have to wait for the transformation to wear off which can get pretty annoying if you want to interact with the stuff around you. Also you turn into a werewolf humanoid looking thing!

I never slept either and have yet to regret my decision to turn :)

Derrick01

Banned
Just wanted to make it clear that you can't heal normally while you are a wolf. Any other time you're like any other character and can heal normally. Another con is that you can't gain "rested" bonuses (lover's bonus for sleeping next to your hubby, +% xp bonuses, etc. after resting). But that's pretty much it. Also, you are a badass wolf...

Yeah that's what I meant, sorry about that.

I think you have to wait until it's done, or you can just use the wait button to speed it up. If you don't feed it only lasts a minute or two anyway.

And you transform into a big walking wolf, though when you run it's on all 4 feet.

eek5

I'm using the one that has LB as modifier. LB+RB = quicksive

Up is favoritess menu, left/down/rigth for 1,2,3 lb+left/downright 4,5,6 and lb+select/start for 7,8. Still lets you customize the other buttons too (I use a for jump, Y for activate)

abundant

Woah woah, do you actually need high level magic to do the mage college quests, or is that some extra stuff?

I'm a 2H battleaxe user, but I've kept some "major" magicka regen/increase items in case I needed some magic here and there. In Oblivion only like one part actually needed some kind of magic.

You don't need high level magic to complete the College's main quest line or most of the side missions tied to the College. They're talking about a side mission that requires lvl 90 - 100 in all five schools of magic.
Doing them unlocks Master level spells.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yesterday, i saw a dragon and a giant fighting in the distance. Was pretty cool to watch.

Then the giant won. The dragon was dead. I stayed the fuck away from him. :lol Havent dare to fight one yet, but im still only lvl 23.

JoeBoy101

I have it but it only holds 11 books. I put everything else in the chest on top. I want like a full size library and display cases, like at the mages college. I expect by the time I'm "done" with the game I'll have books numbering in the hundreds.

You want the house in Markath. Its quietly an awesome mage's home. Three bookcases, 18 books per shelf, 3 shelves per case.

owlbeak

Can we all agree that the Nightingale armor is 100% badass. Not to mention, the weapons you get from that group are pretty great as well

Syntsui

Guys, I commited the mistake of getting the average Azura Star so I used the console command to get the Black Star. After that I fought a dragon but didn't get its soul. Using the console command somewhat breaks the game or was it a coincidence and I can't get some dragons souls?

Can anyone confirm this please? It's bothering me a lot...

FHIZ

egads... the possibilities combined with sneaking, holy shit.

I need to look into this.

In other news, man bethesda, ESVI, widen those tunnels. I can't tell you how many times I'll take someone out with my bow, then try and hide, only to have Lydia's dumb ass standing there blocking the way half the time, the other half, she's going all Leeroy Jenkins on everyone and ruining my tactics.

I swear, my motto for the game is "God damn it, Lydia."

iNvid02

i have a similar bow but about half as powerful, and with some enchanted armor which increases bow damage plus the sneak bonuses i can kill in one shot almost anything.

but with that thing you could just run in with no armor and take everything down lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Son of a...

I'm something like Level 26, and my main weapon is still in the 30 damage range, and my best bow is like 20...

Smithing, huh...

eek5

Son of a...

I'm something like Level 26, and my main weapon is still in the 30 damage range, and my best bow is like 20...

Smithing, huh...

Not just smithing

btg.png

game breaking alchemy/enchanting/smithing lol

might as well take it to the next level if you're going to do that though!

peaceoutbro.png

TekDragon

Banned
I'm doing a mild version of the alchemy-enchanting exploit. Just enough to bring my steel plate armor up the same armor level as my Dragon Bone armor with 100 smithing.

There is no way I'm walking around looking looking like a fucking Chaos Space Marine.

Although I still don't get to play as much as I'd like (Looking forward to Thanksgiving!) I had a bit of time with Skyrim over the weekend and totally sucked into the experience. After climbing the 7000 Steps, I've returned to Whiterun and started the Companion Quests, which so far are rather mundane, but I'm just getting going.

I managed to pick-up a few more shouts. Disarm is great and I got the Dragon Fire one, although tonight I need to go dragon hunting to I can activate it.

Two things that made me chuckle while playing over the weekend. Taking out a bandits lair, one of the Bandit Thugs charged me and we got into a melee. As she's trying to hit me and I'm dancing around getting in shots where I can, she yells something like: "Stop moving around so I can kill you and take all of your stuff!" :)

Also, while exploring a tomb with one of the companions, I accidentally picked up a burned book, and immediately went into my inventory and tossed on the floor. Later, when I chatted with my companion he said: "Hey, you dropped this back there and I though you might want it." The burned book was then added to my inventory.

Double D

Just a foreword that, if it isn't already obvious, I just started playing it this weekend and now am sitting at work, thinking about nothing but Skyrim. So, I will be asking a butt-load of questions in here that I'm sure could be answered somewhere else, or even earlier in one of the two threads. Sorry to those people this is going to piss off, and thanks in advance for those who want to help me.

Moving on, so guilds and stuff.

-Can I join all of them, like in Oblivion, or if I join 'X' guild will I be locked out of 'Y' guild.

-I was attacked by an
assassin in the dark brotherhood. She had a note that detailed the hit on me
. Where can I kick off the dark brotherhood questline?

-How do I kill a giant? I just want a mammoth tusk!

-Sabre Cat out of fucking nowhere! (this is not a question)

Derrick01

Banned
please tell me you can name the item whatever you want. Touch of Death gloves? Hahaha

Yeah you can. I'm trying to stay away from game breaking stuff though, it's fun at first but when you're bowling over everyone the game gets boring fast. It's fun that the option is there though.

Carcetti

It's funny reading how people are using those exploits to max out. I can't get any fun out of the game like that. Instead I make concept characters. Pure mage with no weapons and armor, pure fighter with no magic etc. So much more satisfying to get things done that way.

-I was attacked by an
assassin in the dark brotherhood. She had a note that detailed the hit on me
. Where can I kick off the dark brotherhood questline?

I believe in Riverwood the tavern owner gives you information regarding a kid performing weird rituals in another city. That kicks things off if you do it right.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, don't get all the exploiting in various forms, would ruin the game for me.

Playing it pure and learning everything as I go along, no fast travel either.

Having the time of my life.

Deadly

I can't seem to activate
Beast form
or use Nightingale Strife. I had one equipped but nothing would happen... Help?
EDIT:nevermind, didn't realize you had to use Z instead.

Reuenthal

Banned
Those exploits are interesting and I might make use them to the extend where I can create some cool items that look the way I want them, have the stats I want and won't make everything too easy. I hope I don't overdo it.

Davedough

Hit level 17 over the weekend. Didn't get to play as much as I'd wanted to and got my ass kicked by a bunch of ghosts in a cave near Riften. So love this game. I seriously contemplated calling in sick from work to play all day today. Is that considered addiction??

Top Bottom