• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

iNvid02

I'm also not getting any of the stuff that's supposed to come after though, like Totems of
Hircine
. I wanted to
upgrade my Werewolf powers
. :(

Do I need to progress further in the main quest to unlock some of that stuff?

i managed to do that one, and then the bugged quest came right after.

the guide says there are 13 radiant quests after you finish the main companion ones
there is an "initial wave" of small jobs, a second wave, and the final wave which
includes
totems ofhircine
- so yeah do a few more 1st/2nd wave
stuff and you should get it (aela gives it you, farkas/vilkas give you 2 other final
wave quests making it 3 in total).

here are all of em, just the quest names

wave 1
- animal extermination
- animal extermination v2
- hired muscle
- trouble in skyrim
family heirloom
escaped criminal
rescue mission

wave 2
striking heart
stealing plans
retreival

final wave
totems of hircine
purity
dragon seekers

Do you wait till the arrow is fully stretched from the bow all the time or do you sometimes just quickly press it expecting it to go all the way with every strike?

Of course I wait until it's fully stretched... My first shot is super weak, but the second is good. This sucks when I want to do a sneaky shot. It's driving me insane.

ckohler

How did you get two enchantment effects on the same bow?
I believe you have to have the perk for that. It's at the top of the Enchanting perks tree.

Secondly, I asked this question 10 pages back but nobody answered. For mages out there who enchant, what's the best way to enchant your clothes? Is it to buff your health, resistance, what? I want some strategy recommendations. Thanks!

scy

I believe you have to have the perk for that. It's at the top of the Enchanting perks tree.

Secondly, I asked this question 10 pages back but nobody answered. For mages out there who enchant, what's the best way to enchant your clothes? Is it to buff your health, resistance, what? I want some strategy recommendations. Thanks!

For a Mage? -Casting cost. Remember to use the Fortify School ones and not the Fortify School & Magicka Regen for your chest; you'll get better Casting cost reductions. Any left over slots can be used for Resistances and then Health; if you use a weapon occasionally, I'd use that over Health personally. My Mage goes around with -100% Destruction and Conjuration and with some maxed Resists and +1H Damage.

Dunlop

Thanks for the responses,

I am just starting the second quest in the main story (go too into the Brave Companions story arc and needed to finish it) which I guess explains the lack of dragons

Nightz

My goodness it took me a couple hours to find the steps to get to High Hrothgar. I kept going up the wrong side of the mountain and kept running into dead ends. Turns out I just took the wrong path from Ivarstead. I felt so stupid when I found the actual path. :(

ced

I wish my spectral assassin would just STFU at this point, god he is annoying with the "Have you heard of the story of..." YEAH you told me about it 5 mins ago you spectral being that gets stuck on physical objects...

He also sounds like an evil movie trailer announcer, pretty funny.

Zeliard

i managed to do that one, and then the bugged quest came right after.

the guide says there are 13 radiant quests after you finish the main companion ones
there is an "initial wave" of small jobs, a second wave, and the final wave which
includes
totems ofhircine
- so yeah do a few more 1st/2nd wave
stuff and you should get it (aela gives it you, farkas/vilkas give you 2 other final
wave quests making it 3 in total).

I just fixed the issue. It was a problem with the dumb NPCs not triggering properly and heading back to Jorrvaskr.

I had to go back to Ysgramor's Tomb and talk to Vilkas again (and I already had, every option was grayed out), and then his brother Farkas magically popped up out of nowhere and both of them suddenly sprinted out of the tomb and back to Jorrvaskr. I fast traveled back and Aela was there offering a new line of quests, when she hadn't been before.

Strange stuff but at least it ended up getting fixed. Though if I hadn't gone back to the tomb and talked to Vilkas it may not have, unless the NPCs would have just automatically reset eventually.

Thanks for the responses,

I am just starting the second quest in the main story (go too into the Brave Companions story arc and needed to finish it) which I guess explains the lack of dragons
haha I assume you're not talking about the Bloody Mummers ;)

In Skyrim they're just the "Companions"

I don't blame you though, there is a lot of overlap between Song of Ice and Fire and Skyrim.

garath

My goodness it took me a couple hours to find the steps to get to High Hrothgar. I kept going up the wrong side of the mountain and kept running into dead ends. Turns out I just took the wrong path from Ivarstead. I felt so stupid when I found the actual path. :(

You're not alone. I spent 2 hours trying to find the steps. I was using Clairyvoyance and it led me to the center of Ivarstead instead of the steps (because I put a manual mark there) and instead of looking around Ivarstead for the steps, I figured it led me wrong and I fast traveled back to Whiterun and searched around the entire mountain.

I felt dumb.

I don't think I have ever found the correct path, on all my characters I get annoyed and just kill the hunter riding his horse around and climb the mountain with his horse.

Kworn

Banned
Guys

One about the greybeards and retrieving the horn quest

I arrived at the tomb to find a note instead of the horn and it said quest failed?? Now I am to meet someone in an inn

What have a done that could have caused this?

Cheers

Guys

I arrived at the tomb to find a note instead of the horn and it said quest failed?? Now I am to meet someone in an inn

Cheers
It's part of the quest, don't worry.

AiTM

Banned
I detest the level scaling. It's absurd that my mage used mow down bandits at level 10, but now, he can die from two arrows.

I detest it as well. You never feel truly weak and helpless or truly powerful and godly. You always feel a little weak or a little powerful. I wish I could go back into the opening area and feel like a god among men, but instead I go to a camp by where I started, now being at level 47, and still some random powerful mage or archer can kill me in a few long range shots.

legbone

Guys

Cheers

happened to me to. i think that is the way it is supposed to go.

erragal

I detest the level scaling. It's absurd that my mage used mow down bandits at level 10, but now, he can die from two arrows.

That's not even the level scaling that you have a problem with. Even if everything were fixed levels those bandits would still one shot you; there are several forts filled with high level bandits in the game by design. How does it have anything to do with the level scaling if they're actually higher level than you? If anything the game needs MORE scaling on master once you hit 50+; there are a multitude of areas that are capped at very low levels and will become VERY easy when you're high level. There's no lack of opportunities to feel overpowered in the game.

Arrows are also one of the few things that can still be deadly even when you are really overpowered; Deathlord with a bow up a flight of stairs is not fun.

Dunlop

I took the shield perk to not receive damage from arrows when blocking...but I still do.

Bug or did I read the perk wrong?

Nightz

You're not alone. I spent 2 hours trying to find the steps. I was using Clairyvoyance and it led me to the center of Ivarstead instead of the steps (because I put a manual mark there) and instead of looking around Ivarstead for the steps, I figured it led me wrong and I fast traveled back to Whiterun and searched around the entire mountain.

I felt dumb.
LOL. Good to know I wasn't the only one.

I don't think I have ever found the correct path, on all my characters I get annoyed and just kill the hunter riding his horse around and climb the mountain with his horse.
Yeah that's where I was going at first. Turns out the actual path
starts in Ivarstead itself. In the northwest section I believe. You'll see a small bridge and the steps there.

That's not even the level scaling that you have a problem with. Even if everything were fixed levels those bandits would still one shot you; there are several forts filled with high level bandits in the game by design. How does it have anything to do with the level scaling if they're actually higher level than you? If anything the game needs MORE scaling on master once you hit 50+; there are a multitude of areas that are capped at very low levels and will become VERY easy when you're high level. There's no lack of opportunities to feel overpowered in the game.

Arrows are also one of the few things that can still be deadly even when you are really overpowered; Deathlord with a bow up a flight of stairs is not fun.

I'm talking about bandits in a camp that I cleared out at the very beginning of the game.

It's inexcusable that, suddenly, they're killing me before I can even get a heal off.

Level scaling is fine, but it's broken/implemented poorly in many instances.

GhaleonEB

So I definitely broken the fence in the Thieves Guild permanently.

By selling the armor I was given at the start of the quest line - to the fence, no less - when the time came to upgrade my armor, that became the only topic she would discuss. I've now completed the main quest line for the guild, and the bitch is still talking about my missing armor (that I sold to HER).

I got a fence in Winterhold for a while, an elf, but after a couple uses he vaporized from the inn and I haven't been able to find him since. Is there a way to get another? I can't sell any stolen merch.

I'm currently doing jobs for the guild that involve stealing specific items or other work that doesn't require bringing back lots of loot, that way it's pulled from my inventory. Does that lead to me getting a fence at some point?

It's a bit mind-boggling to me that such a simple thing broke her. All that is needed is adding the option to discuss the armor upgrade alongside the buy/sell dialog option.

(I could probably get pickpocketing up to 100 and then steal some off the back of someone in the guild, but I don't want to grind that.)

ezekial45

Banned
What do you use the Dragon bones/ scales for? Making Dragon armour or something? I've got like 35 of each stored in my house.

Yes, for Dragon Armor. But if that's not something you want, then sell it. You can get a lot of cash for them at General stores.

Dragons are not in short supply, so you can build up the materials as much as you want.

bengraven

Wait, so there are Radiant quests after you finish the guild quests?

So do they continue forever or stop after you finished this wave 3?

Gravijah

So I definitely broken the fence in the Thieves Guild permanently.

By selling the armor I was given at the start of the quest line - to the fence, no less - when the time came to upgrade my armor, that became the only topic she would discuss. I've now completed the main quest line for the guild, and the bitch is still talking about my missing armor (that I sold to HER).

I got a fence in Winterhold for a while, an elf, but after a couple uses he vaporized from the inn and I haven't been able to find him since. Is there a way to get another? I can't sell any stolen merch.

I'm currently doing jobs for the guild that involve stealing specific items or other work that doesn't require bringing back lots of loot, that way it's pulled from my inventory. Does that lead to me getting a fence at some point?

It's a bit mind-boggling to me that such a simple thing broke her. All that is needed is adding the option to discuss the armor upgrade alongside the buy/sell dialog option.

(I could probably get pickpocketing up to 100 and then steal some off the back of someone in the guild, but I don't want to grind that.)

you'll get more fences from the special jobs. you'll also get some merchants, and a new set of armor... which might unbreak her. i dunno though, just speculation.

Wait, so there are Radiant quests after you finish the guild quests?

So do they continue forever or stop after you finished this wave 3?

forever.

newsguy

So for about 5 hours I've had the
Sanguine Rose
and I have to say it's an amazing weapon.
Summoning thay demon
makes taking down dragons a breeze!!

Chavelo

Guys

Cheers

YOU CAME INTO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD

skyrim1-640x360.jpg

MOTHERFUCKER

Part of quest, no worries! :D

Loving the game. Lv 7 so far, have had my ass kicked by giants, mammoths and practically everyone else. A nice change against Oblivion's easiness. Nord melee fighter, for my first playthrough I'll be going the old-school way, with gnashed teeth and clenched fists.

Are the recommended perks for this style of gameplay the obvious? (one-handed, bow, shield).

GhaleonEB

you'll get more fences from the special jobs. you'll also get some merchants, and a new set of armor... which might unbreak her. i dunno though, just speculation.
Thanks.
I'll do a ton of the side jobs tonight. I just wanna go looting, dammit.

Also - is the house in Solitude the most expensive thing in the game? That was my first house, and while I'm planning to pick up one in every hold, I'm wondering if there's anything else that expensive lurking out there. The coin is starting to flow freely, and I've fully upgraded it.

Dresden

Loving the game. Lv 7 so far, have had my ass kicked by giants, mammoths and practically everyone else. A nice change against Oblivion's easiness. Nord melee fighter, for my first playthrough I'll be going the old-school way, with gnashed teeth and clenched fists.

Are the recommended perks for this style of gameplay the obvious? (one-handed, bow, shield).

Yeah, just choose what you want. One handed + Block all work well, Block in particular. Also remember to keep Smithing up so you can craft and upgrade your gear.

bengraven said:
How many dragon bones/scales do you need to make the armor anyway if someone wanted to hoard it to get it out of the way?
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Armor

scy

He's probably
in his room in the College
, unless that's where you've been checking and haven't seen him there.

Also, shouldn't
Mallus, at the Meadery
also be a Fence? I know he is in my game.

Actually, I don't think it pops up on them. At least, I haven't seen it on any of them, though I haven't checked in a long time.

erragal

I'm talking about bandits in a camp that I cleared out at the very beginning of the game.

It's inexcusable that, suddenly, they're killing me before I can even get a heal off.

Strange that the respawns in an already cleared area are so tough; is it still outdoors? Outside enemies don't seem to be locked to level ranges as much.

Also what 'rank' of bandit is it? Every enemy type has different 'tiers' and even a level 5 Bandit Chief is going to be pretty tough. What difficulty are you playing on?

Skyrim really is not a greatly balanced combat game so the primary way you still lose at high levels is by being one shot; if it frustrates you that much the game is probably going to make you really angry as you keep leveling/up the difficulty. Just so you're aware.

scy

I should really finish one of the guild storylines just for fun.

Just one. Don't want to get too deep into the game, despite the 30 hours I've put into it. I would hate to see too much too "soon". ;)

90 Hours across two files. I've only done 1 Main Quest (well, did that one quest twice so there's that, I guess). Before this weekend, I had only done 2 Guild Quests. :/ I'm not entirely sure what I spent all my time on, to be honest...

bengraven

90 Hours across two files. I've only done 1 Main Quest (well, did that one quest twice so there's that, I guess). Before this weekend, I had only done 2 Guild Quests. :/ I'm not entirely sure what I spent all my time on, to be honest...

I honestly spend most of my time running back and forth either stealing junk, selling it, killing dragons, or looking for more quests. I'll do a Misc quest every once and a while.

I've done the MQ up to the dragon's appearing and the first TG and Companion's quests and maybe 3 or 4 official side quests. Kind of sad. ha

Dresden

About seventy hours (>_> I feel sad now) across like four files. I've finished the Dark Brotherhood and Mage quests so far, and went a bit into the main quest. Tried out smithing and enchanting, never bothered with alchemy because it was pretty tedious.

There's huge chunks of the game I haven't seen - I plan to do the rest with a final character, an archer/thief, playing on Master with no enchanting or power leveling smithing.

Derrick01

Banned
I should really finish one of the guild storylines just for fun.

Just one. Don't want to get too deep into the game, despite the 30 hours I've put into it. I would hate to see too much too "soon". ;)

I haven't done the mages guild yet but I did the other 3. If you just want to do the shortest one to get a guild finished then do the Companions. By far the shortest of the other 3.

Main quest finished, Imperial quest finished, just rounding up some sidequests and then Wulf's going to get married and settle down in Whiterun for a while, I think. :lol

I'd still like to get to level 50, though, but all my main skills are filled up... Which skills are easy to increase? (save from smithing, that's already at 100)

Dresden

Main quest finished, Imperial quest finished, just rounding up some sidequests and then Wulf's going to get married and settle down in Whiterun for a while, I think. :lol

I'd still like to get to level 50, though, but all my main skills are filled up... Which skills are easy to increase? (save from smithing, that's already at 100)

Conjuration (you can spam soul trap on a corpse) or Illusion (spam Muffle or spam Courage on an npc iirc).

erragal

Crafting skills, Alteration once you get telekinesis and Illusion once you get muffle. And for alteration prior to that just get into a fight that isn't dangerous and recast your armor spells; as long as you're in combat every cast will raise your skill.

Conjuration (you can spam soul trap on a corpse) or Illusion (spam Muffle or spam Courage on an npc iirc).

Hmm, nice. I'm going to level up enchanting, too. I'm halfway the 45 - 46 gap right now. I've got blade, block and smithing at 100, with heavy armor lagging behind at 99. My speech can use some increasing, it's at 67 right now. I'm just gonna find a good trainer for that, too. I'm loaded with Septims.

I love charging into combat with the final Block perk unlocked. I'm a goddamn tank.

ParityBit

Bandits can't kill stuff and get XP while your gone? Maybe they are off leveling up and training just like you. I would hate a static world where this couldn't happen.

Top Bottom