• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Philthy

No fast travel would turn a 40 hour game into a 5000 hour game. There is simply no way.. Every quest has you going from one end of the world to the other. I enjoy exploring a lot, but man.. I couldn't imagine no fast travel.

Man, had an interesting encounter this past night. Was wandering around, trying to find a location for a quest. Ended up going the wrong way on top of a mountain, but found another place, so I was exploring that.

First encounter with a Blood Dragon. Thankfully, it's saving my ass from a Draugr Deathlord, as they were mainly fighting each other. The Deathlord was tougher than the dragon itself. Got an Ebony 1H Sword off the Deathlord, which was the first I've seen of that quality. The vendors tend to have Elven or Dwarf stuff for me right now.

Also messing around in Riften for the first time, after I got a few quests that led me there. The Thieve's Guild Intro quest is pretty entertaining.

daebo

*sigh*

Love the game. Finished the main story line. Got 50 hours in. Trying to do other quests/shit but the game is buggy as hell. I can't even start the thieves guild story line because it's completely bugged out with the entire riften market standing in the middle of the market. Can't sell/buy from them...
Brynwolf or whatever the hell his name is
won't leave the market and meet me below... Frustration. This is 4 quest lines bugged out and won't go on for me.

*sigh*

Daedra artifacts are incredible! I didn't pursue them in Oblivion. In this game, I want every one of them.
Peryite's shield! Blood dragon came down, blew fire at me and it did nothing! I laughed in it's face, jumped on it's head and beat the living shit out of it.

Boo. Had a dragon kill bug out on me. Killed it, but didn't absorb its soul. That's fine, cause I may have hit the limit for accumulated souls? This Dovahkiin is picky about which shout he unlocks.

erragal

To actually exploit the system requires some sort of metagame knowledge also. Within the game if you have max alchemy, with a full set of crafted alchemy gear (29% per slot) you can make 32% enchanting boost potions. Even with a 32% enchanting boost potion you still can't make alchemy gear that shows higher than 29% alchemy bonus; the only way it works is the game must be saving partial percentages on enchantments/potions but not displaying them.

So really if you had no prior knowledge of the exploit there'd be no reason to think it infinitely loops at all.

After about 60 hours I've finally hit my wall. I need a bit of a break from it. Still, it's been an amazing experience. I've done only a bit of the main quest and none of the civil war storyline. GOTY for sure.

edit: I didn't touch the crafting "exploits", but looking at them, they're awesome. I'm glad this kind of shit is in there.

Daedra artifacts are incredible! I didn't pursue them in Oblivion. In this game, I want every one of them.
Peryite's shield! Blood dragon came down, blew fire at me and it did nothing! I laughed in it's face, jumped on it's head and beat the living shit out of it.

Boo. Had a dragon kill bug out on me. Killed it, but didn't absorb its soul. That's fine, cause I may have hit the limit for accumulated souls? This Dovahkiin is picky about which shout he unlocks.

Not a bug. That just happens when you kill too many random dragons in one general area. They want you to explore the world for souls, not prey on the weaklings.

TheContact

No fast travel would turn a 40 hour game into a 5000 hour game. There is simply no way.. Every quest has you going from one end of the world to the other. I enjoy exploring a lot, but man.. I couldn't imagine no fast travel.

I think the only way they could get away with fast travel would be to have more horse and carriage hubs... and I was a little disappointed that the carriage rides were instant. It would be awesome to just sit on a carriage and watch the world in the passenger seat.

Lakitu

st5fu
I just saw a Hargraven and Spriggan fighting each other in the forest, so I just fus ro dah'd them and they went flying. :D I love this game.

Ezduo

Banned
God damn does this game piss me off sometimes. Just fought some boss in the Labyrinthian who could two shot me with a lightning attack. I had to sit on a perch and waste over 70 arrows on the bastard. Is there a specific level I'm supposed to be doing this at? I can't imagine anyone other than a thief being able to take him down easily. Not to mention the tons of ice mages I had to fight to get to him. Why is everyone in this game an ice mage? It wouldn't bother me if they didn't slow you every time they peg you with one of those damn ice spikes so I feel like I'm trudging through molasses just to get close enough to hack them to death.

fanboi

Banned
God damn does this game piss me off sometimes. Just fought some boss in the Labyrinthian who could two shot me with a lightning attack. I had to sit on a perch and waste over 70 arrows on the bastard. Is there a specific level I'm supposed to be doing this at? I can't imagine anyone other than a thief being able to take him down easily. Not to mention the tons of ice mages I had to fight to get to him. Why is everyone in this game an ice mage? It wouldn't bother me if they didn't slow you every time they peg you with one of those damn ice spikes so I feel like I'm trudging through molasses just to get close enough to hack them to death.

Hey!

He one shooted me so stop complaining! (I was a lvl 11 mage).

Fantomen

Neo Member

Same thing happened to me, just thought i wasn't meant to absorb it, our just a bug.

Have a strange and annoying bug happening right now.
I have done the quests in Markath where you end up in jail and escape (The Forsworn Conspiracy and No One Escapes Cidhna Mine).
After that i helped the Stormcloakes take over Skyrim.
And now when I'm doing the Thieves Guild (when you need the Falmer translation) in Markath, the guards want to arrest me, but i cannot go to jail or pay the bail.
So i can just run around while the guards try to kill me.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Edit: On PC btw.

GlamFM

Banned
At the end of my descent into blacksmithing, alchemy, enchanting and madness I walked forth a god.

bow.jpg

I still have no idea how to get weapons like this or how smithing works.

Is there a guide somewhere on the internets?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think the funniest moment for me so far was when I fast traveled to an area and had both a dragon and assassin trying to kill me. I'm running around frantically trying to escape the dragon and kill the assassin, and the guy is completely oblivious to the dragon. He ended up trying to go for a kill directly in the dragons line of sight...and ended up being burned alive by the dragon trying to kill me. Bwahaha

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There is something i dont understand about shouts and dragon souls.

I've found like 4 shouts so far and i have 5 dragon souls. But when i try to unlock the shouts, it says "require a dragon soul".

WTF dude, i've got 5 of them!

daebo

I've found like 4 shouts so far and i have 5 dragon souls. But when i try to unlock the shouts, it says "require a dragon soul".

Press X to purchase them.

It should show a separate button to unlock with depending on what version your playing.

scy

My Mage just destroyed him with infinite stun via Impact; Archer can just Stealth abuse. Honestly, I can't imagine him being hard for basically anyone but pure Melee and even that's pushing it kind of (chain stun in melee). Both of these done around Level 46-50 on Master and with good, but not broken, equipment.

Though, I do make it a priority to get Resists somewhere so there's that.

I still have no idea how to get weapons like this or how smithing works.

Is there a guide somewhere on the internets?

Smithing is pretty easy. You can only make equipment you've gotten the Perks for (+ the basics you always can do, Iron, Leather, etc.); having the Perk also means that you can upgrade that equipment at a lower skill level (i.e., you need a Skill of over 100 to upgrade Daedric to Legendary but can upgrade it in the 90s with the perk).

As for making the ridiculous equipment:

1) Make a full set of +Alchemy Enchanted equipment; if you have any +Enchantment Alchemy Poitons (made or purchase), use them here.

2) Make +Enchantment Alchemy potion while wearing the above equipment.

3) Make another full set of +Alchemy Enchanted equipment after using the Potion made above.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 forever, basically.

5) When you're done looping those, equip your +Alchemy equipment and make a +Smithing Potion. Also, down a +Enchantment potion and make yourself a set of +Smithing equipment. Go and improve your equipment. Hooray!

Do note there's a Defense cap so getting to obscene values there isn't really a big deal. Weapons don't cap as far as I know (besides "Everything gets one-shotted").

webrunner

If a weapon/armor doesn't appear on the grinding stone interface or workbench, does that mean it can't be upgraded?

Can you upgrade Daedric Artifacts? Or priest masks?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
At the end of my descent into blacksmithing, alchemy, enchanting and madness I walked forth a god.
That's good in it's due time, however he was talking about crafting dragon armor when he's at the very start of the game. Technically you CAN grind smithing too 100 then, but it's not a good idea.

Yeah, I recommend that to any shield user. I guess eventually I'll probably have to develop enchanting and do something better myself, but as for now, it's incredible and I can continue to upgrade it as my smithing goes up.

Cynar

Press x to unlock and use a soul on the shout screen

Dice

Press x to unlock and use a soul on the shout screen
He's doing that and it is giving him that message. It was happening to me for some time, then started working for an unknown reason.

iNvid02

i came out of this cave and there were 3 red dots, i was puzzled because i lay waste to everyone.

as i approached closer i couldn't see anyone, but then 3 goats jumped out and started running at me. goats, wtf. they had that weird expression they always have too lol, those eyes.

maybe it was to do with
the taste of death quest, i had just finished feasting on someone

erragal

That's good in it's due time, however he was talking about crafting dragon armor when he's at the very start of the game. Technically you CAN grind smithing too 100 then, but it's not a good idea.

Yeah, I recommend that to any shield user. I guess eventually I'll probably have to develop enchanting and do something better myself, but as for now, it's incredible and I can continue to upgrade it as my smithing goes up.

There is no shield you can make that's better than that one for normal use, IMO. You can make more situationally useful shields but honestly it's crazy how easy it is to get for how powerful it is. I've used that same shield from level 19 to level 52 and counting! Fortunately it looks neat so I've had no complaints.

Mupod

To actually exploit the system requires some sort of metagame knowledge also. Within the game if you have max alchemy, with a full set of crafted alchemy gear (29% per slot) you can make 32% enchanting boost potions. Even with a 32% enchanting boost potion you still can't make alchemy gear that shows higher than 29% alchemy bonus; the only way it works is the game must be saving partial percentages on enchantments/potions but not displaying them.

So really if you had no prior knowledge of the exploit there'd be no reason to think it infinitely loops at all.

Geez. And here I thought my bow was impressive, I didn't even realize I could go that much further. I mostly just stumbled upon the synergies between the professions and was surprised to see that I could improve things further with the right buffs even at 100 blacksmithing skill. It's the first elder scrolls game that I made it out of the intro without falling asleep or uninstalling though, I heard Morrowind was even crazier than this.

As for the whole powergaming vs going with the flow argument, to me it's more fun to crank it up to Master and chase dragons like I'm playing Monster Hunter. And then make stuff out of them. I think Dragonscale looks cool anyways, at least on my lizard.

Dunlop

Brave Companion question:

Now that I am the leader, can I store my crap in my room? Also can you buy containers or do you have to buy a house to have them?

Posted this stupid early this morning

also, is it normal to have not seen a dragon yet? I'm about lvl 19, I have a shout but can't use it

Zeliard

Think my game is bugged with the Companions. I completed their main quest line but I don't have the option for any Radiant quests or otherwise, like I apparently should. The Companions I talk to just give me the option to have them follow me, but they're not offering any quests.

Reason I think it could be a bug is because in my Misc section I have a quest that says "Talk to the Companions leaders for work," but that doesn't exactly make sense given the circumstances, and there's no objective marker attached to it.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

garath

also, is it normal to have not seen a dragon yet? I'm about lvl 19, I have a shout but can't use it

Did you get to the
first dragon
in the main quest? (very early main quest spoiler).

If not, that's why you haven't seen any dragons.

zeitgeist

I think this must have been scripted:

I was heading to Hrothgar and I was stopped by a thief who wanted my stuff. I was about to persuade him to leave me alone but then a bear just busts out of nowhere and starts mauling him.

It was pretty awesome.

iNvid02

Think my game is bugged with the Companions. I completed their main quest line but I don't have the option for any Radiant quests or otherwise, like I apparently should. The Companions I talk to just give me the option to have them follow me, but they're not offering any quests.

Reason I think it could be a bug is because in my Misc section I have a quest that says "Talk to the Companions leaders for work," but that doesn't exactly make sense given the circumstances, and there's no objective marker attached to it.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

yep i had to give up on the rest of the radiant stuff because one quest where i had to
intimidate a guy just didnt work, the guy just sat there unresponsive when he should
have been causing a ruckus. i ended up killing him and now the quest is just frozen.

luckily the radiant companion stuff isnt that interesting, i moved on to thieves guild
and dark brotherhood (both very fun), will go back and finish the companion stuff
if they fix it

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

i'm the leader of the mages and i store all my shit in the room with no theft yet although dudes walkin' through my crib is making me nervous. I am curious if marrying somebody will put em in my room so i can reduce the chance of theft.

and no it's not normal. Since like lvl 7, I've been attacked like mad. At least once every four fast travels. I have 6 dragon corpses vibrating around the mage college since i took control over it 5 levels ago.

You have to play the second quest of the main quest line first before the dragons spawn all over the map. And to activate shouts you have to select them in your menu then press R or whatever button (easy to miss but it's explained at the bottom of the screen).

Dice

FUUUUUUUUUU

I just accidentally unlocked a shitload of achievements because I used "caqs" command. I thought it only applied to the current active quest and I was trying to fix a bugged one. I just used command quit, but it still managed to unlock a bunch. Oh well.

Zeliard

yep i had to give up on the rest of the radiant stuff because one quest where i had to
intimidate a guy just didnt work, the guy just sat there unresponsive when he should
have been causing a ruckus. i ended up killing him and now the quest is just frozen.

luckily the radiant companion stuff isnt that interesting, i moved on to thieves guild
and dark brotherhood (both very fun), will go back and finish the companion stuff
if they fix it

I'm also not getting any of the stuff that's supposed to come after though, like Totems of
Hircine
. I wanted to
upgrade my Werewolf powers
. :(

Do I need to progress further in the main quest to unlock some of that stuff?

So I'm starting to get PISSED off here.

Why the fuck doesn't my arrow fly straight anymore? It's like I'm pissing arrows or something. I've never had this before. I shoot an enemy, it falls down like ONE meter further. Then the second shot goes straight.

What's wrong?

Pollux

It's funny reading how people are using those exploits to max out. I can't get any fun out of the game like that. Instead I make concept characters. Pure mage with no weapons and armor, pure fighter with no magic etc. So much more satisfying to get things done that way.

I know what you mean. Although on my first character (I've made two others, will get into that below) I always try to make him as close to a god as possible. I'm spending perks on one handed (only swords though because I never plan on using maces, axes, or dual wielding), block, and smithing. I've spent a couple perks in the speechcraft tree because making money is so much easier when you're selling shit for 750 gold a pop. I've got my sneak up into the 70's by running around at night in Whiterun in the DB armor, and then upped my lockpicking by picking every chest/door that I can find. Right now I'm transforming my warrior into a thief without using any real perks. I'll be saving all perks from here on out and putting them into enchanting.

I'm lvl 35 and have my health around 250 and my stamina and magic around 180 each. I'll finish up the thieves guild and then do some random quests while I only use magic. Then If I have perks after leveling enchanting I'll put them into the Conjuration and Destruction trees. After that I should be able to do what I want on any given day with that character.

If I want to roll as a warrior, cool. Thief/stealthy assassin, check. Powerful mage, got it. combo of any of the above, can do.

I just like the variety.

Now I've started two other characters:

(1) Khajit assassin/thief whose a pure archer and uses a dagger for stealth kills in close quarters.

(2) Dark Elf battle mage. Sword in hand and spell in the other, or spell in both.

I'll be starting a third in a couple months just for the hell of it.

(3) High Elf pure mage. Nothing but magic. Period. Never done a character like that, and I think it would be very interesting to try.

vaelic

Banned
So I screwed myself and lost 2 days of play time ugh.....

Basically, I went in to this cave, I forget the name..... (some pit you jump in to and cant make your way back out of). I only had 3 manual saves and the rest were quick/auto saves. I go far in the cave but I kept dying and there was just no way I was going to escape. I went to reload an older saved game and it was from 2 days ago :(

So I'm starting to get PISSED off here.

Why the fuck doesn't my arrow fly straight anymore? It's like I'm pissing arrows or something. I've never had this before. I shoot an enemy, it falls down like ONE meter further. Then the second shot goes straight.

What's wrong?

Do you wait till the arrow is fully stretched from the bow all the time or do you sometimes just quickly press it expecting it to go all the way with every strike?

Top Bottom