• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

scy

Any further info about this? How how do I need to have my Enchanting skill/what items are required?

You're basically not going to get the cost to 0 without maxing out the skill and getting all the relevant perks; it takes four slots at max skill and you only have four slots available for these Enchants (Chest, Head, Ring, Necklace). No real trick to it, though. Get the Fortify Destruction/Conjuration/etc. Enchants by disenchanting equipment with it (Robes use a different Enchant entirely and the bonus from those isn't that good) and then Enchant stuff with a Grand Soul. Not much else to it, honestly.

If you use Alchemy potions to push your skill up, you should be able to use the -Cost and +Regen Enchant on your Chest and still get -100% cost. It's a small amount of Regen, though, so it's really not that big of a deal.

erragal

RE: Food... that it lets you just quaff down soup in the middle of a fight is really the problem there. You should have to camp or something in order to eat. Drakensang would not allow this sort of loosey goosey interpretation of "life" in a fantasy world!

Are you saying I shouldn't be able to drink 17 different potions a split second before an axe hits my skull? You are an enemy of fun!!

Seriously though a potion/food cooldown mechanic could REALLY amp up the difficulty even if it was a combat only type one. Still wouldn't fix the vegetable soup though; the flat stam regeneration eliminates the wait there usually is when you run out so you can chain shield bashes. Any ability to do this (even if made more annoying) trivializes combat.

Agentnibs

Does anyone else feel like the world is just too big for it's own good or design? Most of this is based on my play styles, but I still think things could be designed differently.

These games for me always start with an amazing 4 - 8 hours of exploring, collecting stuff, venturing into unknown caves and ruins, and all of this on the trip from the beginning to the first city. After that the quests are designed to take you across the map even from the start, so I'm left just fast traveling non stop till the end of the quest(s). Once this pattern of fast traveling starts I just never return to the amazing experience of exploration. Sure, I could just not use any fast travel methods, but I know I wouldn't last long and certainly would never finish the damn game.

This is one thing that's bugged me. It seems like every mission has you traveling from one side of the world to the other. Very rarely do you have quests that are anywhere near where they started. I understand they want you to explore the world but it does get old especially with wonky framerates and the mountains in the way making your trip time even longer

Boogdud

My favorite dragon encounter so far was a random blood dragon who attacked me. He proceeded to fly off a ways and start breathing fire on something else. I ran over to a cliff and saw he had aggro'd a giant and 2 mammoths. Summoned my atronach and started throwing fireballs at everything. Really fun fight and incredibly entertaining.

I was on the way to one of the companion "animal extermination" quests where you need to kill an animal in some lady's house. I'm on a cliff and near the quest and get jumped by a dragon. I start shooting it and it takes off then dives over the cliff and doesn't come back up or circle around. I thought it was bugged so I peek down over the cliff.

There's a little cottage with a garden beside it, where a woman is attacking the dragon with a broom. After laughing at this, I notice two of her chickens are also attacking the dragon. I'm tearing up at this point while I finish it with my bow.

I jump down to the cottage where the woman runs up to me and screams "GET IT OUT OF MY HOUSE!" (keep in mind this dragon carcass is blocking the door). It turns out, it was her house for the quest and apparently a sabre cat in your house is like a million times scarier than a dragon on your front lawn...

<3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys, I've been playing Skyrim on PC and am now up to level 12 (after 21 hours of play), and I have a bug that I can't seem to find any info on or anyone else having.

My guy is mute.

I can't hear him say the whole FUS RO DAH thing, when I swing and don't hit anyone, my swings are mute, however when I hit someone I can hear the blade clashing, my kill animations are also completely silent.

How can I fix this? It's getting kind of annoying.

Edit: On Steam.
Sounds a lot like your sound setup is configured improperly, like the game things you have 5.1 when you have stereo, or something of that nature?

webrunner

Are you saying I shouldn't be able to drink 17 different potions a split second before an axe hits my skull? You are an enemy of fun!!

Seriously though a potion/food cooldown mechanic could REALLY amp up the difficulty even if it was a combat only type one. Still wouldn't fix the vegetable soup though; the flat stam regeneration eliminates the wait there usually is when you run out so you can chain shield bashes. Any ability to do this (even if made more annoying) trivializes combat.

Doing it like New Vegas (food is over time, stimpacks are rarer and instant) would be reasonable.

Of course, healing potions would have to be rarer.

calder

Hmm thanks for the mana regen ideas guys, I'm thinking of putting more points into enchanting (I've already leveled it up a bit) and going for mana-less spells in destruction. I take it the mana reduction for items does not stack with the reduction you get for like Apprentice Destruction right? So I need to get my 'fortify destruction' spell to max effectiveness for how many pieces? May get to use that glass armor yet lol.

Sounds a lot like your sound setup is configured improperly, like the game things you have 5.1 when you have stereo, or something of that nature?

Is that something that I set in the game directly? Or on my computer itself? I'm at work right now and can't check.

I also forgot to mention that I already set my sound to 24bit 44.1k and even tried 48k just to be sure, didn't fix it, all the sounds in game are at max.

Edit: But thanks for the tip! Didn't think about that.

scy

Hmm thanks for the mana regen ideas guys, I'm thinking of putting more points into enchanting (I've already leveled it up a bit) and going for mana-less spells in destruction. I take it the mana reduction for items does not stack with the reduction you get for like Apprentice Destruction right? So I need to get my 'fortify destruction' spell to max effectiveness for how many pieces? May get to use that glass armor yet lol.

I actually haven't checked how they stack. I think someone mentioned it before that they stack separately so it's kind of pointless (i.e., the Perk halves the cost and then equipment -Cost reduces that remaining one).

And you'll need to use four slots. You also only have four slots to put them on (Chest, Head, Neck, Ring), for the record.

erragal

Doing it like New Vegas (food is over time, stimpacks are rarer and instant) would be reasonable.

Of course, healing potions would have to be rarer.

Getting rid of 'full heal' potions would help. Without exploiting you're capped right around 234 health per created potion. Put restore health only on rarer ingredients and add some more power regenerate health potions. They're slower but much more reasonable for how you'd want Skyrim combat to work.

I really want to work on a balance mod for this game. There's actually a lot of potential once you start identifying all the outright broken things and find ways to limit them.

GhaleonEB

I'm rethinking my playthrough strategy for Skyrim.

Original plan: take my current badass archer/thief through the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Then roll a spell/sword and go through main quest, Companions, and College of Winterhold.

New plan is the reverse of what I did for Oblivion: keep my initial character (which was a spell/sword in Oblivion), and romp through the game until the expansion hits. Then roll a new character and take them into the expansion and start fresh.

I'm loving my current character too much to change it, bows are just too awesome. The 50% slow time zoom, plus stagger, equals absurdly awesome. Doing the slow time effect to dodge incoming arrows and then land the return fire feels so great. I know if I start a second character now I'll just end up being an archer again.

On to the main quest. Dragons, here I come.

Anyone else encounter or know of a way to fix the following quest bugs?

When you are told to speak to the circle at the end of the Companion quest before heading to the last dungeon, I spoke to one of them and accepted a quest. This seemed to be the only thing that would trigger the next scenario. I received the quest, "Secret Plans". I've already done a variation of this quest with the same name but a different dungeon as one of the jobs leading up the final quest. I didn't bother with completing the job and after the Companion quest line was completed, the quest now shows up in my journal but cannot be selected as an active quest and the "Show on Map" text is grayed out. I cleared the area anyway but there was no sign of the quest item. I tried speaking to all the quest givers but they just end up giving me a new job called "Animal Extinction" with no mention of the other one. How do I get this thing out of my quest log?

The same thing happened to the quest for killing the dragon at Shearpoint which I did for the Jarl of Dawnstar. I turned the bounty in and collected the gold reward but the quest still shows up in my journal as "Return to collect bounty etc." but cannot be selected as the active quest and has the "Shown on Map" text grayed out and is stuck in my journal.

bitoriginal

I'm rethinking my playthrough strategy for Skyrim.

Original plan: take my current badass archer/thief through the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Then roll a spell/sword and go through main quest, Companions, and College of Winterhold.

New plan is the reverse of what I did for Oblivion: keep my initial character (which was a spell/sword in Oblivion), and romp through the game until the expansion hits. Then roll a new character and take them into the expansion and start fresh.

I'm loving my current character too much to change it, bows are just too awesome. The 50% slow time zoom, plus stagger, equals absurdly awesome. Doing the slow time effect to dodge incoming arrows and then land the return fire feels so great. I know if I start a second character now I'll just end up being an archer again.

On to the main quest. Dragons, here I come.

Funny enough, I'm going to roll a new char fairly soon exactly like yours. This playthrough has been a one handed destruction mage and it's been nothing but regret. I'm like a warrior with an identity crisis. Going full on stealth archer assasin for my next playthrough.

I need some advice. I've put in 15 hours of game time. But AC Revelations is out, and I have that, and 5 other games to finish.

So, should I finish them all first, then get back to Skyrim in a couple weeks time or continue Skyrim?

I want to play AC solely, with no distractions, so I may leave Skyrim for a bit.

MedIC86

Sorry for crossposting from Reddit but i've found this pretty funny. ill give a short summary:

I left home at 16 to join a cult across the country and then spent over a year in deprogramming therapy AMA.
I was part of a cult for about three years. After two years I went to live with some friends who were in the cult. I stayed for a few weeks before getting into a car accident and coming home. I spent a year in deprogramming therapy. I met the leader of this cult, his name was Astrid online when I was 14ish by stumbling across some of his music on myspace.

/cut bs story

First few reply's

she asked me about the cult leader,Astrid
You were in the DARK BROTHERHOOD???

:lol

Jintor

Anybody else getting this weird physics bug where you arrow a dude and instead of being hit by it they just scoot out of the way instantaneously by a few feet?

You can level past 50, no? Or is that just a goal you've set? I'm ~43 atm, will probably be done with the Daedric Quests and Dragon Priests by 50.

Yeah, you can. Level 50's just my goal. I'm already have to farm skills I normally never use: it's going to take forever. Once I've gotten the level 50 achievement I'm retiring Wulf until the first expansion comes around.

Also, I got a bit spoiled for the Dark Brotherhood questline:
Holy shit, I can't believe you actually kill the Emperor. Insane.

dammit, steam installed the patch and now when I go in the stores the stuff is thrown around like I went around bumping into things. seemed to happen to other places too. not only does this look bad, now I am paranoid that something important may have been moved around and I wont see it (say in a dungeon like a cool item)

HTuran

Yeah, you can. Level 50's just my goal. I'm already have to farm skills I normally never use: it's going to take forever. Once I've gotten the level 50 achievement I'm retiring Wulf until the first expansion comes around.

Also, I got a bit spoiled for the Dark Brotherhood questline:
Holy shit, I can't believe you actually kill the Emperor. Insane.

Yeah, exact same for me. Gonna finish up the Daedric stuff and Dragon Priests, then wait for DLC. No point in my Stealth character doing the Mage and Companion questlines.

Dark Brotherhood is fantastic. That encounter you mention is humbling.

Alchemy

Am I the only person who wants all these different characters and builds consolidated into a single character? I'm only rolling the one character I've been playing, and doing every single thing he can.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just came across one of the most beautiful areas of the over world. Lost Valley Redoubt/Bard's Leap Summit in the southwest area of the map.

Yeah, exact same for me. Gonna finish up the Daedric stuff and Dragon Priests, then wait for DLC. No point in my Stealth character doing the Mage and Companion questlines.

Dark Brotherhood is fantastic. That encounter you mention is humbling.

I'll do a playthrough of Halo CEA and then come right back to Skyrim, probably. I still need to roll a character for the Companions and Stormcloaks, a character for the College, and a companion for the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.

You know, now that I've finished the Imperial Legion questline, I feel like I missed a great opportunity.
When Ulfric requested I be the one to execute him... I should've done so with a Shout.
I still have a savegame from right before, I'll probably do it once to see if it works. :lol

Also, it feels kinda right that my heroic Nord Dragonborn warrior saves Skyrim and the Empire and my upcoming two-hander character will be a nasty
werewolf
mercenary working for the Stormcloaks.

Just came across one of the most beautiful areas of the over world. Lost Valley Redoubt/Bard's Leap Summit in the southwest area of the map.
Try jumping down from Bard's Leap Summit. If you survive, there's a nice surprise.

What did the patch fix?

Also, does anyone know if Skyrim will have Steam cloud support eventually? I just realized Oblivion and Morrowind have it but Skyrim does not. Kind of strange.

Davedough

Ok, so I'm in a quandry and I need help from the higher levels.

I'm level 17. I wanted to check out Riften and after failing a quest there and having a dragon engage me, then fly away, I decided to just go wander. I came across a cave south of Riften with an Imperial commander or something posted out front. The name, is something like Frostyll... I dunno, begins with an F (I'm typing from memory of last night). Well, he asked me to go check out this haunted den of Dragon Cultists and retrieve a mask from someone there. I thought cool! Lets go!

Well, Lydia stepped in the way of my giant plume of fire long ago, so I was going in there armed with Janessa. I've got my Elvish armor that's mildly enchanted and a Dwarven War Axe that has the soul sucker enchantment on it. I'm armed with my fire in my right hand and I decide to go in.

The beginning part of the dungeon was pretty decent. Had some hard moments with some cultists that were spellswords, but I took them out pretty significantly. I got halfway through to the Crypt and then the ghosts turned to Draugrs... and not your normal Draugr, I'm talking Scourge and Writt or whatever the other ones are called. I started having a pretty hard time taking these fools down.

Well, several deaths and lots of saves, I make it through what I think is about halfway through the Crypt portion of the dungeon and I'm at a point where 4 Scourges are after me. One is a conjurer, One is a two handed axe beast, one an archer and the other a one handed guy. The Conjurer summons a giant Frost minion that doesn't go down easily at all and then shoots ice spikes at me from across the hall. Janessa got killed and I'm stuck with not wanting to give up on the dungeon but also thinking I'm just not juicy enough to handle it.

What do you guys do in this situation, or am I just far too low level to even be messing around in this dungeon? I want a cool mask, but think that I haven't levelled right or anything to be powerful enough for the mobs that I'm facing. I'm too poor because I'm taking the goody two-shoes route and not pickpocketing or stealing so I haven't been able to max my smithing and enchanting into godly levels yet either.

MedIC86

I have a question concerning the Dark brotherhood..

i finished almost all quests, killed the real emperor etc, now i have 20k gold. but im not planning on doing more quests for them, so would be kinda wasted to spend 20k gold on redecorating that shit hole right?

i finished almost all quests, killed the real emperor etc, now i have 20k gold. but im not planning on doing more quests for them, so would be kinda wasted to spend 20k gold on redecorating that shit hole right?

Basically. I just did it cause I love the DB :p

So I am wondering if I should go with a 2H spec, 1H sword spec + shield or a 1H sword spec with magic?....So many options.

Which one is the most entertaining?

BurningNad

I'm starting to get a little bored with my Dark Brotherhood backstab assassin type character. I'm thinking of starting over with a pure caster. Gotta decide if I'll tough it out... I put 30 hours into my first character, I don't want to just stop playing him.

Double D

So I am wondering if I should go with a 2H spec, 1H sword spec + shield or a 1H sword spec with magic?....So many options.

Which one is the most entertaining?

I started out with 1 hand sword and 1 hand shield. Switched up to 1 hand sword, 1 hand magic around level 5. I kinda see myself alternating those as the game goes on. 2H to me just seems like you are limiting yourself, unless you just want to whack the shit out of some dudes and don't care about magic.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finished the main quest earlier,
was pretty bad and just ended, never really felt like much went on.

MrBig

Ok, so I'm in a quandry and I need help from the higher levels.

That dungeon was pretty difficult for me at 32. The payoff is worth it to continue.

My favorite side quest so far is Beothias Calling.

I actually sacrificed Lydia.

When I heard the the reward is just an Ebony mail - but Beothia alluded that the armor's is customized to my abilities and was wondering if everyone got a heavy armor with rouge stats or is it based on my current build?

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/SirHypnotoad/SneakHeavy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I got the same armor and I use heavy armor.
Got rid of that mail once I found and improved another set of ebony since the black aura kept obstructing my vision.

FStop7

Banned
I bought Vigilance the dog outside of Markarth. He joined me and Lydia on our adventures. The problem was that Vigilance's pathing kind of sucks. He would block doorways, trap me between walls and fixed objects, once he even pushed me out from behind cover which led to my getting killed. So when Vigilance died in a particularly tough fight, I wasn't that bummed and didn't bother re-loading my save. I just let him stay dead.

The torture chamber will pay for itself. Also, why not do more quests?
It's very easy to reach a point in this game where you don't need gold, so why not.

Top Bottom