• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Trick_GSF

Banned
Going to spoiler this just for the sake of the blackout dudes that don't want to know anything about the game, no major spoilers here, though.

Okay, so I just got Skyrim today, after playing Oblivion all last week and..
I just took on a giant. I walked straight up to the fella as I didn't think they was hostile due to walking right by one earlier today. My god that was some epic shit. The fight took me about 10 minutes, most running for my life and firing arrows when I got a little clearance. Fuckers are fast though.

He finally went down on his knees and I fired a arrow straight into his head, he let out a roar and dropped dead. Damn, I was smiling from ear to ear. It's moments like this. This is why I spend my money on games and sit up all damn night playing em.

Sorry for my over-enthusiasm, that just got my blood pumping a bit there. I've only been playing for a few hours too. Can't wait to see whats to come.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm currently doing the Stormcloak line of quests, and went to
find the Jagged Crown. Is this ebony claw now permanently stuck in my inventory?

Luthos

I'd like to know this, too, but I doubt it. Maybe go to Winter Hold or wherever the guy was Jarl of and see if you can't turn it in there?

It was Dawnstar, and I've tried talking to him again, but I dunno.

Maybe I can do a second bounty from Dawnstar, and it'll cancel the other out? Yea, it bugs me.

Davedough

Trying to
behead
me for no reason just makes for bad first impressions. Anyhow, anyone know if I'm stuck with a quest item forever now?

You were caught crossing the border along side a bunch of murderers, simple mistake... guilty until proven innocent by dragonfire.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just lost 45mins of play because something bugged and removed all of my blessings (including enchantment on my armor) except necklace & ring. WTF.

Luthos

So, is there any quest requirement or some purpose out there for the dragon scales/bones besides the armors you make with 100 smithing?

Like if I'm a mage, and don't plan on smithing, should I sell every one?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I just started up Steam, something updated, started Skyrim and it took a whopping 20 seconds of gameplay until the game just freezed on me. Never had that before. Is this common?

Hugs

So, question about the Daedric quest Boethiahs Calling.
Do I have to kill everyone stealthily. I'm not very stealthy at all and I have no perks in it. What happens if I just kill them all in open battle, like a true Nord. Do I fail the quest?

abundant

So, is there any quest requirement or some purpose out there for the dragon scales/bones besides the armors you make with 100 smithing?

Dragon Bones and scales are only important if you have the Dragon Armor perk. Just sell them.

So, question about the Daedric quest Boethiahs Calling.
Do I have to kill everyone stealthily. I'm not very stealthy at all and I have no perks in it. What happens if I just kill them all in open battle, like a true Nord. Do I fail the quest?

No. I did the quest by just running into the dungeon and killing everything and I completed it.

derFeef

I really feel comfortable with my 2-handed heavy armor Nord now. Some hours ago my character felt really fragile, but after a little bit of leveling I am a beast right now.

Luthos

Another question, how do I read something (notes, books) off of a body or chest, without looting it? I know there was a button to do it on the consoles. But I find on the PC, I can only loot it, then I have to go into my inventory to read it.

calder

Dragon Bones and scales are only important if you have the Dragon Armor perk. Just sell them.
Sweet. It's going to take a few trips from my dorm room at the College, but I'm going to be rich when I empty out that wardrobe of all the bones and scales. :D

eosos

Banned
So if I'm mainly a one handed and shield warrior nord who does a bit of archery and is trying out conjuration will I be able to do the dark brotherhood quests? Or should I just be like fuck it and do them when I try out a stealthy ninja assassin character?

I saw a pretty cool post on Giant Bomb yesterday about making an unarmed heavy armor wearer, and it had to be Hkajit.

Hah, yeah, I think I'll gun for this one. I don't need to worry about specializing in an offensive school, so I can focus on passives. As a Khajiiti monk, I will specialized in enchanting, restoration, heavy armor (I might only wear the gauntlets, for roleplaying reasons), perhaps alteration, as well. Alot of potential here when your main damage-dealing avenue isn't even a skill to invest in.

abundant

Sweet. It's going to take a few trips from my dorm room at the College, but I'm going to be rich when I empty out that wardrobe of all the bones and scales. :D

Even if you have the perk, you only need like 15 bones/scales to make the full set + shield.

KingK

What do you have to do to become eligible to own property in Riften? I don't even have the option to bring it up in conversation with the Jarl or her steward.

One thing I would've liked that the end of the main quest...

They should've made the fight against Alduin a two-parter. First you get to kick his ass in Sovngarde, after which he's ejected into Mundus again. You follow him, emerge on the Throat of the World, and proceed to kick his ass for all of the world to see. Assuming they're looking up.

All in all, though, I'm satisfied with the conclusion of the main story. It felt like when I beat Morrowind.

What are cells? and then what is this LAA patch?

Cells are essentially "squares" of land. Basically, because we don't have infinite memory available, the game only loads the square of land your character is in, plus a few surrounding in full detail. When your character moves, it will trigger cells to load and unload if you come too close to the boundary of a cell because you'll be seeing/treading on empty land unless the cell is loaded.

Big Chungus

argh, still don't know what type of armor I should go for, light or heavy for a 1h/shield warrior.

my companion is a mage so ranged is already covered, i just wanna get in there and take on enemies.

Hah, yeah, I think I'll gun for this one. I don't need to worry about specializing in an offensive school, so I can focus on passives. As a Khajiiti monk, I will specialized in enchanting, restoration, heavy armor (I might only wear the gauntlets, for roleplaying reasons), perhaps alteration, as well. Alot of potential here when your main damage-dealing avenue isn't even a skill to invest in.

Ya, it definitely looks fun. I was thinking about doing it too--and I'm in the same boat of not wanting to wear heavy armor. It would be neat if you got the huge backstab bonuses from the sneak tree if you are unarmed, or if you could behead and get the neat kill animations. (Not that you can't--I just don't know either way...)

My character has had an arrow stuck in his head for the last 6-8 hours. I know this is a known thing (supposedly if you get shot again it goes away?) but I'm hoping I can make it through the game without losing it. I switch to 3rd person for a good chuckle every now and then.

I'm not sure if it's a battle wound or if he's trying to take the Steve Martin bit to Tamriel.

interior-stevemartin.jpg

I love this game.

That being said, Bethesda should be absolutely ashamed at the state this game plays on PS3.

All fear and distrust of them was completely justified, and I am a little heart-broken that I can't play for more than 2 hours without the frame rate dropping to 5.

I am also a bit disappointed that this issue did not seem to be in the reviews, despite it happening to pretty much everyone on PS3 that plays for long enough.

iNvid02

i forgot about this, but i started doing the imperial quests yesterday and decided to try out shield/sword for them, but my block stats really sucked despite having a good dragonscale shield.

if you lure an enemy soldier just let him keep attacking at your shield, they usually cant do enough damage to cause you major harm and your shield takes it all, i levelled up from about 20-50 in about 5 minutes.

the best guy for this is
the courier
assuming your fighting for the legion.
you'll find him in the inn on one quest

I don't think there is any other use for them, but you might want to craft more than one set of armor for different enchantment purposes if you vary your playstyle.

Blizzard

Banned
DO NOT FORGET that if you leave your stuff in a container (such as that dorm room) for more than 72 ingame hours, it may vanish. According to forum people at least. You have to buy a house. :(

Ya, it definitely looks fun. I was thinking about doing it too--and I'm in the same boat of not wanting to wear heavy armor. It would be neat if you got the huge backstab bonuses from the sneak tree if you are unarmed, or if you could behead and get the neat kill animations. (Not that you can't--I just don't know either way...)

Nor do I. How cool would it be if there was an epic neck-snapping critical animation for unarmed?

Lol i knew something was up with the guy who starts the drinking game. I was dicking around in werewolf form and attacked him, he unloaded magic attacks on me and summoned some redface mob. Loaded up the save and did the quest and come to find out he is a
God
thats was just dicking around

Shane86

Why does alchemy take so long to level up?

I think it has to be addressed in the next patch, I've made hundreds of potions, I've revealed the 4 properties of nearly every ingredient I've found and I'm still only level 31

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Never mind about the quest item thing, guess that got cleared up once I got to the actual end of the quest instead of just using the item. Moving on, can you re-enchant an item later on when your enchantment skill is improved, or would you have to get another unenchanted item to do a new enchantment on? My skill is not so great, but I've been using this pair of iron gauntlets with the fortify one-handed enchantment for too long as figured I'd disenchant it and add it to my new set of dragonplate. Problem is that I probably won't get as good a level as the original item.

I think it has to be addressed in the next patch, I've made hundred of potions, I've revealed the 4 properties of nearly every ingredient I've found and I'm still only level 31

You level up by making potions that have high value. $250+

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

I think it has to be addressed in the next patch, I've made hundreds of potions, I've revealed the 4 properties of nearly every ingredient I've found and I'm still only level 31

Are you using the correct Stone that'll raise the speed of Alchemy leveling (I believe its Sneaking). It does take a good while though but the speed at which its raised is directly related to the cost of the potion. So, when I was nearing 100, I would go around buying certain reagents that gave me the highest costing potions as output (Giants Toe + Wheat with my enchanted mask, ring and necklace for Alchemy would give me a Potion of Health Fortification worth 2.2K gold). Also experiment within a given potion type by mixing and matching. Some reagents will give you two effects (be it two good, two bad or a good and bad effect) that can significantly raise the price of the potion.

Wanace

As said you must make expensive potions. Look for things like Damage Magicka Regen, Slow, Frenzy, Paralysis, etc. I'm at 89 with my alchemy.

Top Bottom