• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Wallach

What the hell, scale armor isn't as good as Elven? I just went through a bunch of trouble getting my smithing up high enough to build it and it's actually weaker than the current stuff I'm wearing. Do enchantments do something weird with it? I don't have any armor enchantments or anything, just magic resistance.

Dragonscale? Or something else? Because light Dragonscale is definitely superior in armor rating to Elven.

Edit - Oh there is just a Scaled set. I think only the chest piece should be stronger if it is Gilded.

Ezduo

Banned
CHEEZMO™;32869272 said:
What do you use to make Scale armour?

Is it just Dragonscale stuff?
No, I'm at level 50 in smithing. It's under the steel section and uses basically the same ingredients.

Here it is:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Forge#Advanced_Armors

After further investigation it appears that the boots and gauntlets are better but the armor isn't as good. Odd. Guess I'll keep my elven guilded armor but change the boots and gauntlets.

Question for any Sneak Assasins/Bow/Dagger specs..

Do you guys max out Sneak and put the point in the 100 pt skill?

Sounds pretty awesome but wasn't sure. Any advice?

snack

UpcKk.jpg

Someone's got hoarding issues.

i've been researching smithing/enchanting and so far there are a few great options

creating leather helmets
creating iron daggers

or getting the spell that turns iron to silver and then silver to gold and create gold jewelry and then add enchanting for maximum profit/skill building

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hello everyone.

Everyone and their brother around me is playing Skyrim, and wondering why I'm not doing the same. The thing is, I wanted to be excited about this game, but Oblivion bored me to death and I can't shake the feeling that this will be a prettier version of Oblivion.

Please sell me on this game. What does this game do that makes it better than Oblivion? Is the gameplay different, or is it fundamentally the same as Oblivion?

Anyone?

nib95

Banned
Ok so I killed my first dragon and damn, the stuff it dropped is crazy heavy. Any place I can store this stuff, hopefully without having to spend $5k on a house!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's not just prettier, it has life. That is the best way I can think to describe it. Everything in Oblivion is stale saltine crackers. This is fresh coffee. It's thoroughly engaging and refreshing.

AEREC

Ok so I killed my first dragon and damn, the stuff it dropped is crazy heavy. Any place I can store this stuff, hopefully without having to spend $5k on a house!

A house is the only place to store it so it doesnt get stolen...I left some Dragon scales in a Barrel in Ivarstead and they stayed there for a while, but eventually were gone later.

Forkball

Should have picked a Breton

I'm an Imperial, and while the starting bonuses were nice and suited for my playstyle, that 50% magic resistance looks amazing right about now. I could enchant some stuff, but it will only be 18%, which I guess is better than nothing but I don't want to waste my dragon armor.

Sell it. There are an infinite number of dragons in the game and you won't have any use for it for a while.

RurouniZel

It's not just prettier, it has life. That is the best way I can think to describe it. Everything in Oblivion is stale saltine crackers. This is fresh coffee. It's thoroughly engaging and refreshing.

Is there more going on in the outside world? Is the First Person melee combat still clunky (I thought it was anyway, no offense to anyone), or has that been improved?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
fuck this game man. Every time i go to Riverwood the game sends a dragon EXCLUSIVELY TO KILL THE BLACKSMITH.

I fucking shit you not. I've tried waiting several days before going. Every time it comes swooping in. everytime the dragon completely ignores me and rapes the blacksmith. I try to focus healing hands on him and the dragon just nukes him constantly. if my pets widdle down the dragon enough he'll drop to the ground and this fool will run up and get one shot every time. It must be doing it because I like using the blacksmith there to level up. This is insane. I'm already fucking tired of fighting a dragon every hour now I have to deal with this shit where they pick off my favorite vendors?

Luthos

Sell it. There are an infinite number of dragons in the game and you won't have any use for it for a while.
Agreed. You should sell all scales and bones until you can buy you first house.

Trust me, by the time you can actually use the bones and scales, you'll have plenty. Prob way too many, actually.

Forkball

Ok fair enough I'll just do that. I mean heck, I'm only level 13 and by the sounds of it Dragon weapons/armour ins't unlocked till level 50?!

You get dragon armor once your smithing skill is at level 100. Unless you spam iron daggers, this will take a long time. I did it though and don't regret it, although it does look ugly.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Is there more going on in the outside world? Is the First Person melee combat still clunky (I thought it was anyway, no offense to anyone), or has that been improved?

Combat is not really improved. I sneak to avoid the the combat, which is terrible .

But the appeal of elderscrolls is really the world, more so than the gameplay mechanics I feel.

KingK

I meant since
we apparently kick Whiterun's ass, the Companions are kept safe/hold their own, right?

wait, wait...
You have to fight Whiterun if you join the Stormcloaks? Shit, I was leaning towards siding with the Stormcloaks, but I don't want to fight Whiterun. Their Jarl is the only one I've met that seems like a good guy. I thought Whiterun was neutral? Do you have to fight them if you join imperials, or is it just for the Stormcloaks?

wait, wait...
You have to fight Whiterun if you join the Stormcloaks? Shit, I was leaning towards siding with the Stormcloaks, but I don't want to fight Whiterun. Their Jarl is the only one I've met that seems like a good guy. I thought Whiterun was neutral? Do you have to fight them if you join imperials, or is it just for the Stormcloaks?
You attack Whiterun with the Stormcloaks and defend it with the Imperials.

Vire

Combat is not really improved. I sneak to avoid the the combat, which is terrible .

But the appeal of elderscrolls is really the world, more so than the gameplay mechanics I feel.

I disagree, magic is much improved, and dual wielding is fun. Also the third person animations like decapitation add a little variety here and there.

I wouldn't say it's dramatically different - but it's noticeable.

RurouniZel

Okay. One final question. Is the story more focused than Oblivion, or is it the same thing where they spend two hours setting up the game's premise and then you have the find the rest of the story yourself?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
holy shit i somehow found a way to take the dragon out without it killing the smith....AND THE NEXT DAY IT SENDS ANOTHER

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Okay. One final question. Is the story more focused than Oblivion, or is it the same thing where they spend two hours setting up the game's premise and then you have the find the rest of the story yourself?

I am not sure what you mean by that. The main quest is pretty much jjust treated like any other quest iñ the game, and it iis pretty straight forward in terms of exposition

RurouniZel

holy shit i somehow found a way to take the dragon out without it killing the smith....AND THE NEXT DAY IT SENDS ANOTHER

LOL that's amazing. Must have killed the dragon's kids or something.

I am not sure what you mean by that. The main quest is pretty much jjust treated like any other quest iñ the game, and it iis pretty straight forward in terms of exposition

In Oblivion the first two hours were pretty straight forward. Go here, take this letter and meet my friend, he'll help you, and then after that I couldn't figure out where to go. I kept getting quests, but couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go to continue with the story. After about five hours of being lost I gave up. :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yay! Now that they patched the .exe so I can't use the LAA patch the game is crasherific!

Thanks Bethesda you stupid assfucks.

DanielJr82

Wiglaf Stark | Nord | Level 25
Approx. Playtime: 54 Hours

I don't think I've done more than half of the main story, I've been doing nothing but sidequests and exploration, having an insanely fun time in Skyrim. This is definitely my GoTY and I'm not even done! I still got 3 major cities to visit, lol! You'd think that at 54 hours I'd be done, the truth of the matter is that I hardly quick travel, I go everywhere by foot (when I have Lydia following) or by horse. I've quick traveled on a few occasions just to finish the quest and call it a night, but I generally just walk around for no good reason other than to sight see. Occasionally I'll venture into an undiscovered cave. =P

A few minor things or issues that some players may overlook:

- You can zoom the 3rd person camera! Hold R3 (click right thumbstick and hold), then change zoom with the left thumbstick by going up or down. I initially looked this up because the game 'bugged' me into a very close 3rd person perspective which got a little annoying. The same controls work for the horse as well, which oddly enough I do prefer a closer zoom when I'm riding my horse.

- Praying to Talos gets rid of your diseases and gives a boost to shouts cool down.

- Rocking Wolf Armor, this armor is beast (no pun intended). It's a heavy armor unlocked once you join the Companions, I believe. You can get it at Skyforge very cheaply. It's heavy armor but it's surprisingly light. An "Exquisite" Wolf Armor right now (with perks in Heavy Armor as well) is giving me a rating of 100 armor with only 20 lbs of weight. The rest of the pieces are 4lbs each and give 40-50 armor rating! Looks sleek, great armor:weight ratio, and lets me carry more stuff. I mention this because I hardly hear anybody talk about it on other forums. I plan to keep upgrading it. I'll eventually switch once I see the game kicking my ass, then I'll probably start the upgrading process again.

- I was looking for a matching shield for the Wolf Armor and the Branded Iron Shield looks like the best choice. But why can't I upgrade it? I can upgrade Steel, Elven, and Drwarven all to "Exquisite" but not branded iron armor? I don't really understand.

- Yep, Giants will kick your ass. I accidentally hit one with an arrow while aiming for a dragon. After the dragon died that behemoth chased me to hell and back. I went through all my health potions before it killed me for good, lol. Same goes for bears, tough beasts those are.

- Daedras are devilishly entertaining.
Talking dogs and all.
I made the mistake of selling a Deadra artifact, got something like 500 gold for it. When I changed my mind and wanted to buy it back it was a whopping 2000+ gold! Hold on to those! :p (Same goes for the Dragon Priests masks, which I sold as well.)

- No matter how far I go into Skyrim I seem to always come back to Whiterun. I guess I made it my home base of sorts. I always like to travel between Whiterun and Riverun for the shops and stuff.

- Am I the only one that actively avoid nights? Skyrim looks so much better in the day.

Anyways, Skyrim is still consuming my soul! Unfortunately I'll have to give gaming a rest after Thanksgiving break because I have to prepare for a course I'm giving this December and January and it's going to take all of my attention. In February I'll resume with Battlefield 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. This generation has truly been gaming Nirvana for me.

evangd007

So I'm in Heavy Armor and looking at the perks, Conditioning (no weight for worn armor) looks nice, but I have to go through the useless Fists of Steel and Cushioning to get there. Is it worth it, or will I never need the carrying capacity if I keep a pack mule follower around?

Actually I'm realizing that some of the high up perks kind of suck and the best ones, at least for physical characters, are at the bottom: the ones that give flat increases to damage and armor. I mean, the top Heavy Armor perk looks dumb; it's only a 10% chance to reflect damage, and if your Heavy Armor is doing its job it won't be a lot of damage. Likewise I'll likely skip the upper One-handed perks that buff power attacks since I use most of my stamina for shield bashes.

Wallach

So I'm in Heavy Armor and looking at the perks, Conditioning (no weight for worn armor) looks nice, but I have to go through the useless Fists of Steel and Cushioning to get there. Is it worth it, or will I never need the carrying capacity if I keep a pack mule follower around?

Actually I'm realizing that some of the high up perks kind of suck and the best ones, at least for physical characters, are at the bottom: the ones that give flat increases to damage and armor. I mean, the top Heavy Armor perk looks dumb; it's only a 10% chance to reflect damage, and if your Heavy Armor is doing its job it won't be a lot of damage. Likewise I'll likely skip the upper One-handed perks that buff power attacks since I use most of my stamina for shield bashes.

I'm not sure if Reflect Blows is calculated before or after armor. Presumably before, if the blow never hits you. If you're running around in heavy armor, I would imagine you take enough melee hits that the free damage increase in melee is worthwhile. Maybe not, but it still seems like a good perk to me. Especially for higher difficulties.

As for the weight perk, it is quite good. Not just for removing the movement penalty, but for freeing up quite a lot of inventory space. Being able to carry more in these games is always beneficial, companion or not.

KingK

You attack Whiterun with the Stormcloaks and defend it with the Imperials.

Well shit. I was pretty dead set on joining the Stormcloaks, but this changes everything. I don't want to fuck over the only Jarl who seems like a good and competent ruler. I might have to grudgingly join the Legion now...

Top Bottom