• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Syntsui

I have this one big doubt, if I finish the game, will the dragons keep respawning or will they be gone forever? In Oblivion the gates were closed, so I'm kinda preoccupied in finishing the main quest...

Alchemy

I have this one big doubt, if I finish the game, will the dragons keep respawning or will they be gone forever? In Oblivion the gates were closed, so I'm kinda preoccupied in finishing the main quest...

The answer to this question is like a million tons of spoilers that I don't want to know >.<

Forkball

All seems like it's caused by doing the large address thing before, you should always expect incompatabilities between third party tools and official patches.

Dont expect any fixes now to work with future patches either.

I don't use LAA, the only modding I've done is some texture mods that I've been using ever since I installed the game. I did update my drivers though, but ATI said it would improve Skyrim performance. YOU LIE.

To avoid spoiling anyone who doesn't want to know:

The Dragons keep respawning.

Visceir

Anyone got any tips for the Black Star Quest? I'm at the bit where
I'm in the crystal and I've got to fight down these tight corridors with these demora things blasting off a firebolt that takes half of my health. They are absolutely destroying me everytime! I'm level 37 wearing full ebony armour upgraded to legendary.
Is there any kind of strategy to get through this bit or I do need to be a higher level? I haven't got a companion with me so I can see that being my number one priority.

Make sure you go back to the elf in the pub for your reward, not the altar in the mountains...then again, if you're fighting in the crystal already it might be too late. Reload an older save!

I've found one piece of daedric equipment, fortunately it was a bow and I got it on lvl 43 or 44. Unfortunately my ebony bow still does more dmg, because I used that 50% smithing potion when upgrading that one while I only had a +20% one for daedric bow.

Smash88

Banned
Ugh, my Thieves Guild quest is bugged. This isn't really a spoiler, but if you consider anything to do with the Thieves Guild a spoiler, well then don't read beyond this point.

Anyway, when asked to Shadow Gulum-Ei, it tells me to go right outside of Solitude by the Harbor, but when I go out there my quest marker tells me to go back into Solitude! I can't seem to find Gulum-Ei anywhere. Anyone know where he may be?

You should've shadowed him. It isn't a bug, you just failed at doing it.
You are supposed to follow him to the docks area, and go into a door, once inside you are supposed to follow him through a maze of boxes, you will see a ship, keep going, and you will reach an area where the water is somewhat high, like knee high, turn left and behind that area is a door, this is before the end of that whole maze, that linear path you follow to go all the way around the dock area.

PSA: avoid today's patch
Causes instability and crashes when cells are loading

Steam will try to autodownload it

PSA: It does not cause instability and does not crash. The only thing todays patch did was add extra DRM, it made it so the .EXE needs Steam to run, that's all the patch did. They essentially don't want you modding the TES.exe file.

Basically, anyone using that 2GB+ patch is going to have the game crash or not work. If you are having problems, right click and just verify integrity cache, if you have further problems, you might need to reinstall the game, and just make sure you backup your saves.

Paranoia is amazing.

PSA: It does not cause instability and does not crash. The only thing todays patch did was add extra DRM, it made it so the .EXE needs Steam to run, that's all the patch did. They essentially don't want you modding the TES.exe file.

Basically, anyone using that 2GB+ patch is going to have the game crash or not work.

Paranoia is amazing.

Many people had problems with the game crashing when it was first released, the 2GB+ patch fixed that problem for those people. Since this update removes that patch people are once again experiencing the same crashes they had at release.

Smash88

Banned
Many people had problems with the game crashing when it was first released, the 2GB+ patch fixed that problem for those people. Since this update removes that patch people are once again experiencing the same crashes they had at release.

Actually, from what I've been reading from most forums/reddit, etc... This is not the case, the 2GB+ patch broke the game for many (and by broke I mean the patch messed up the 2GB+ mod which used the same .exe), and people are now experiencing their problems because they essentially made that mod not work anymore, or they already had those problems. There is nothing they can do, but hope they might get a fix within' the next few days. Even reinstalling will not stop the auto-download from getting the patch, you telling it not to will do nothing, the whole selection system for that is broken apparently.

nib95

Banned
So when or how do you enchant weapons then? I'm level 12 or so, and whenever I sit down to enchant a weapon, I have everything necessary but actual enchantments. Where do I get them from?

Abylim

I'm abit pissed at the game now.
Coudnt learn a shout during the story, Only picked up one word for god knows why, had to use my own dragon souls to unlock it. Wasnt happy about that.

Now, I do the stupidly long quest to get the book that gives me+5 skill ups to certain schools (Combat sneak or magic) and it doesnt fucking work. So the book gives me nothing. Sounds stupid, but this quest was long, and ridiculous. And I planned alot of shit around getting that +5 to enchanting etc.

Shouldnt piss me off so much, but it does.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
So when or how do you enchant weapons then? I'm level 12 or so, and whenever I sit down to enchant a weapon, I have everything necessary but actual enchantments. Where do I get them from?

Destroying enchanted items will give you access to that enchantment.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Totally agree. I have a shitload of spells already and I'm relatively early into the game. What annoys me is that I can't just summon an atronach and then hit a button to go back to dual wielding sparks. I have to go into the menu for basically every spell I want to use. I might actually prefer more of a MMO setup, where there is a hotbar on the bottom of the screen that I can put whatever spells I want into. Then I'd barely ever have to pause the action but I guess I'd have to play with KB/M which is ok.

Are you playing with a gamepad? You can press up and down to access your favorites menu and in the favorites menu you can hot key a weapon/spell to the left and right sides of the dpad by hovering over the item and pressing the corresponding button you want it hot keyed too. Even still for a game like this it is cumbersome.

Actually, from what I've been reading from most forums/reddit, etc... This is not the case, the 2GB+ patch broke the game for many (and by broke I mean the patch messed up the 2GB+ mod which used the same .exe), and people are now experiencing their problems because they essentially made that mod not work anymore, or they already had those problems. There is nothing they can do, but hope they might get a fix within' the next few days. Even reinstalling will not stop the auto-download from getting the patch, you telling it not to will do nothing, the whole selection system for that is broken apparently.

From what I understand of how Steam updates files, the .exe was straight up replaced, so whether or not a person had applied the 2GB patch should have no bearing on how the game functions post update.

From my personal experience the game would randomly crash with no warning/error messages using all vanilla settings and files. Once I made the modification for 2GB+, these crashes stopped. Now with the patch disabled I get the same crashes again.

You should've shadowed him. It isn't a bug, you just failed at doing it.
You are supposed to follow him to the docks area, and go into a door, once inside you are supposed to follow him through a maze of boxes, you will see a ship, keep going, and you will reach an area where the water is somewhat high, like knee high, turn left and behind that area is a door, this is before the end of that whole maze, that linear path you follow to go all the way around the dock area.

Nope it was bugged.

After I talked to Gulum-Ei in the Winking Skeever, he went outside, and that was the point you were supposed to shadow him. I followed him out of the Inn, and as soon I was out, he was nowhere to be found. I checked my map, and my quest marker was outside the city, down by the docks, but the marker was the one that tells you you are in the same area as the objective. In this case it told me Gulum-Ei was in the city, yet somehow located outside by the docks. So, I go out by the docks, but it then told me to back into the city. That was what was bugged. I couldn't find him anywhere, but a quick Google search revealed that I was not the only one to have that bug, and people actually found a fix for it. You're supposed to go into that cave he goes through, kill all the bandits and at the end where the exit is, wait until noon and he would appear there. So, I didn't do anything wrong, the game just made it very difficult for me to fix it.

nib95

Banned
At the enchanting table. The top option is to disenchant which makes you learn that specific enchant. It destroys the item that you're learning from though.

As is, destroying enchanted weapons? Such as enchanted swords and helmets etc? Anything else that can be destroyed? I feel like a fool for selling off all the enchanted stuff I never wanted now. Eurgh...

Smash88

Banned
Nope it was bugged.

After I talked to Gulum-Ei in the Winking Skeever, he went outside, and that was the point you were supposed to shadow him. I followed him out of the Inn, and as soon I was out, he was nowhere to be found. I checked my map, and my quest marker was outside the city, down by the docks, but the marker was the one that tells you you are in the same area as the objective. In this case it told me Gulum-Ei was in the city, yet somehow located outside by the docks. So, I go out by the docks, but it then told me to back into the city. That was what was bugged. I couldn't find him anywhere, but a quick Google search revealed that I was not the only one to have that bug, and people actually found a fix for it. You're supposed to go into that cave he goes through, kill all the bandits and at the end where the exit is, wait until noon and he would appear there. So, I didn't do anything wrong, the game just made it very difficult for me to fix it.

When you explain it like that, I guess it was bugged. :/

Grinchy

Banned
As is, destroying enchanted weapons? Such as enchanted swords and helmets etc? Anything else that can be destroyed? I feel like a fool for selling off all the enchanted stuff I never wanted now. Eurgh...

That makes 2 of us now. But hey, at least you didn't think your shouts were glitched because you were pressing the wrong button to learn them...

MrBig

Paranoia is amazing.

The facts are that it does cause instability and crashing. Anyone who stopped prior instability with the LAA patch had their game botched by the inept DRM addition.
I had a disclamer about the LAA patch in my post, but removed it after people with unmodified games started reporting more common instance of CTDs.

brentech

Rings/necklaces/weapons/armor

You can only learn the type of disenchant once though. Like, if there is an item with 50% regeneration on it....and you have another with 75% regeneration, only one of them can be disenchanted to learn it. This is because when you enchant the effectiveness of said enchant goes up as your enchanting skill goes up.
Has nothing to do with the original source. You're simply learning the effect.

What causes a companion to die? My mage companion gets destroyed often and survives, and then sometimes he will get shot with an arrow or two and he's dead. It's weird.

Alchemy

What causes a companion to die? My mage companion gets destroyed often and survives, and then sometimes he will get shot with an arrow or two and he's dead. It's weird.

Players can kill companions, I accidentally nailed one in the ass with an arrow to finish them off while in the down state. I haven't seen any completely die from non-me damage.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Weapon, armor and accessories can all be broken down

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I decided to try and calculate it out on my own 1 "Skyrim day" equals approximately 2 real-time hours. I guess this is just a random useless fact but it was something I was curious about.

Also my new favorite activity is building then enchanting badass armor and weapons, which is a bit problematic since I am a mage who rarely uses any of the stuff. Lydia has the best gear in skyrim now though.

God this game is so good, I can never play for more than 4 hours though, it starts to get framerate drops like crazy (PS3). But I usually don't play for that long anyway.

Alchemy

There is a good chance I hit him then lol. Thanks.

It was a rather sad day. It was
the lady who I got into a drunken bar brawl with at Whiterun, who thought I hit her in the face awesome enough
that she would accompany me on adventures. Then, BAM A DRAGON. So I'm strafing around firing arrows at it and she is getting wrecked in melee range. I move to the left as the dragon moves away from where I was targeting, revealing her body crawling around for dear life trying to escape and I watch in slow motion as the arrow embeds it self directly into her right ass cheek killing her.

Pretty frustrated, the Companions Quest line has bugged out for me, found some information about why it didn't trigger, already cleared the dungeon that the next quest was set for, attempted to skip ahead through the console, but it still will not work properly. Kind of kills my motivation to continue playing. I could let it go which will just sit in the back of my head annoying me, or I could start over which is a tough pill to swallow on a level 58 character I've been playing for 80 hours. Sigh.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm glad I made the trip to Markarth on foot this time instead of getting there via a certain quest. I've already seen several new things and quests that for whatever reason didn't trigger properly last time and it has made my experience in 30 fps town much more enjoyable.

spoilers for a certain quest there
when the forsworn broke out of prison my computer wanted to die. Dozens of people running around and fighting in a city that already limits me to 30-35 fps. Fun to watch but damn it was stuttery.

Drazgul

So I decided to try and calculate it out on my own 1 "Skyrim day" equals approximately 2 real-time hours. I guess this is just a random useless fact but it was something I was curious about.

Good guess, unlike in Oblivion (which had a timescale of 30) Skyrim uses a timescale of 20, that is, 20 in-game minutes is 1 minute in real-time. It's the sweetspot imo and what I used to use in Oblivion, 30 was just annoyingly fast.

Spat_triate

Just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line. Akatosh be damned!

It had special significance for me as I was already a member of the Stormcloaks. Slitting the emperor's throat and diving in the bay to escape was one of my all time favorite moments in a video game...ever.

My character is a mean bastard. I waylay every Thalmor patrol I see. Nothing more satisfying than cutting a permanent grin across their smug throats.

2011-11-21_00001.jpg

AEREC

What drove me buts during the campaign is Esberns character randomly changing voice actors.

Max Von Sydow is perfectly cast in this game, but when talking to him sometimes he suddenly sounds like the narrator from Magicka and Kermit the frog.

Hyunkel6

Why aren't some of the dungeons that I've explored marked as "cleared" on the map? Does it mean that I've missed an enemy or a unique item there?

Grinchy

Banned
Are you playing with a gamepad? You can press up and down to access your favorites menu and in the favorites menu you can hot key a weapon/spell to the left and right sides of the dpad by hovering over the item and pressing the corresponding button you want it hot keyed too. Even still for a game like this it is cumbersome.

Thanks, dude. I don't know how I missed that. I thought I remembered posts from people talking about using left and right on the DPAD but I didn't follow it up I guess. That will definitely help me out a little bit. It was getting a bit tiring having to spend most of the game in the favorites menu.

Forkball

Verified integrity of game cache and the game is much less crashy. It did crash once, but it was after a fast travel and not in the middle of something. I recommend it if the new patch started to screw up your game.

Also I did the Honeybrew Meadery quest for the Thieves Guild and holy shit
that mage guy caught me totally off guard.
I am decked out in full dragon armor and he damn near eviscerated me. I desperately need some magic enchantments, where can I find just a straight magic resist enchantment item? I have shock, frost, flames etc. but I want a single enchantment to cover all magic.

Also they need to stop throwing a ton of enemies at you when you are cramped in a tiny cave hallway.

Verified integrity of game cache and the game is much less crashy. It did crash once, but it was after a fast travel and not in the middle of something. I recommend it if the new patch started to screw up your game.

I am decked out in full dragon armor and he damn near eviscerated me. I desperately need some magic enchantments, where can I find just a straight magic resist enchantment item? I have shock, frost, flames etc. but I want a single enchantment to cover all magic.

Should have picked a Breton

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hello everyone.

Everyone and their brother around me is playing Skyrim, and wondering why I'm not doing the same. The thing is, I wanted to be excited about this game, but Oblivion bored me to death and I can't shake the feeling that this will be a prettier version of Oblivion.

Please sell me on this game. What does this game do that makes it better than Oblivion? Is the gameplay different, or is it fundamentally the same as Oblivion?

Jintor

Also they need to stop throwing a ton of enemies at you when you are cramped in a tiny cave hallway.

My buddy just told me an awesome strategy for that fight. Use 'e' to reposition all the bear traps in the levels by holding it down (treating them like a physics object), line them up in a straight line from him to you, and then arrow him and run away.

Ezduo

Banned
What the hell, scale armor isn't as good as Elven? I just went through a bunch of trouble getting my smithing up high enough to build it and it's actually weaker than the current stuff I'm wearing. Do enchantments do something weird with it? I don't have any armor enchantments or anything, just magic resistance.

Top Bottom