• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Gravijah

actually, it seems you still get perks after the soft level cap of 50. the hard cap is 81 (iirc) and it's much harder to reach.

Drazgul

nope..massively annoying shit. Any sized soul can go into the big gems.

I just give the greater/grand/black soul gems to my companion until I know I'll need them. Got a buttload of petty/lesser gems that I usually fill, but no need to risk them running out and wasting a more valuable gem.

erragal

I'm gonna say it again. And will continue to say it. The level cap setup in Bethesda games is fucking awful.

You have a 200 hour plus game that you level cap your characters at 50-70.

I've probably only searched 30% of the map, if that. But I'm at level 25. Half way to the point where I stop receiving perks. Half way to the soft level cap.

Why do they insist on doing this? Say I want to be a warrior for the first twenty - thirty hours but than i realize i love magic and thievary, but now im around level 30-40 so I only have like 10 levels left before my perks run out. So just to try that out I have to start a whole other game and lose my progress. I know some diehards love the idea of being stuck with your earlier choices but even putting that aside for a moment, just having the level cap that low( or that fast to max out) where in all likelihood once you reach it there is still probably 100 plus hours of game still to be had is a really quick way to kill a lot of the drive to continue playing.

It happened to me in oblivion and fallout and I'm fearing already it is going to happen again in skyrim. And it only angers me because of how much I love everything else about this game.

You don't stop receiving perks ( or health/magicka/stamina) and the 'soft' level cap is vague anyhow. Also you do not really level any slower other than how much you decide to use the skills you haven't used yet. Your rant kinda misses the mark.

The only major issues are the lack of apparent enemy scaling past 50 or a higher difficulty setting for post-50 stuff.

So on my new game I'd like to do The Black Star quest early on. I see on the Wiki the appropriate way to start the quest, however, does anyone know if it is possible to simply go immediately to Ilinalta's Deep and just grab the item from there and then give it to Nelacar?

I don't mind doing the traveling, just wondering if the game works this way--I've found other quest items in dungeons and returned them to people prior to even having the quest, but I'm wondering about this quest specifically.

Jonm1010

Banned
You don't stop receiving perks ( or health/magicka/stamina) and the 'soft' level cap is vague anyhow. Also you do not really level any slower other than how much you decide to use the skills you haven't used yet. Your rant kinda misses the mark.

The only major issues are the lack of apparent enemy scaling past 50 or a higher difficulty setting for post-50 stuff.

I read that you essentially will mathematically max out at level 50-80(read different things). Seeing as you can't get higher than 100 on any given skill? If I'm wrong can someone give me the real breakdown than? Given the system in place - raise individual skills in order to raise your overall level - there has to be a mathematical limit. You can only get to level 100 on your skills which equate to only X number of overall level increases and therefore X number of overall perks? Right? Or am I missing something?

The enemy scaling thing is a bummer as well. If you're going to have that system, at least make it scalable much higher given how large your game is.

Double D

I'm level 11 and have 3 unused perks. I would apply them to light armor or 1 handed weapon, but I'm not high enough level in those yet.

Can anyone recommend some quality perks? My play style has kind of been all over the map. I mostly use 1H Axe/1H Magic, but I'm also quite the sneaky archer. Best case scenario would be to continue doing this throughout the game, but I just feel like if I don't commit to one of these styles soon I'm going to start getting crushed. I'm already kind of having a rough time as it is.

erragal

I read that you essentially will mathematically max out at level 50-80(read different things). Seeing as you can't get higher than 100 on any given skill? If I'm wrong can someone give me the real breakdown than? Given the system in place - raise individual skills in order to raise your overall level - there has to be a mathematical limit. You can only get to level 100 on your skills which equate to only X number of levels and therefore X number of perks? Right? Or am I missing something?

The enemy scaling thing is a bummer as well. If you're going to have that system, at least make it scalable much higher given how large your game is.

The mathematical limit is 81 which would be 80 perks. To be honest having some motivation for multiple playthroughs is a good design decision; not being able to get everything is a good way to create a unique/personalized play experience for each person.

I'm not sure about the scaling stuff but it's even sillier considering how easy it is to stumble into gaining 25% more experience for most of the game.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to do Companions quest lines and Thieves guild questlines in the same playthrough? or is that trying to spread yourself too thin trying to get warrior-type perks and thief type perks?

Want to get rid of all the ingredients and other items like ingots and such, I dont really smith or alchemy at all, just really enchant, will getting rid of these items effect that?

Kikarian

I'm just wondering, is it possible to do Companions quest lines and Thieves guild questlines in the same playthrough? or is that trying to spread yourself too thin trying to get warrior-type perks and thief type perks?
I was going to do this. I am in the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild I was debating whether to go into the Mages Guild, I haven't done yet but I will. This doesn't mean I have to get higher perks in wizardry though. Thus meaning I don't need warrior skills in Companions.

ajf009

absolutely, I haven't started the thieves guild questline yet, but I've already finished the Companions and I'm a stealth archer

HTuran

So on my new game I'd like to do The Black Star quest early on. I see on the Wiki the appropriate way to start the quest, however, does anyone know if it is possible to simply go immediately to Ilinalta's Deep and just grab the item from there and then give it to Nelacar?

I don't mind doing the traveling, just wondering if the game works this way--I've found other quest items in dungeons and returned them to people prior to even having the quest, but I'm wondering about this quest specifically.

Nope, I went to Ilinalta's Deep whilst exploring and the Black Star area was blocked off by a rock, lol.

Also, came across a cave. Inside, a spell to transmute iron ore to silver, and silver to gold. Man!

Bleh... how many of these dang side quests do I do to make the Thieves guild return to its former glory?

20, 5 in each city.

erragal

There's really nothing in any of the guilds that require any perks to complete or even a minimum skill level in any skills. If you can complete the missions they give you, that's all they care about.

scy

You can't just go there first. The passageway is blocked off by rubble if you haven't gotten the quest to go there; just having the quest sending you to the Shrine isn't enough, incidentally.

As for the Level Cap subject, the 50s is around where you'll be with most your class relevant skills maxed. I guarantee that you get more perks from 51-81 as I have two characters beyond 50 still earning perks. 51-81 don't seem to slow down any more than expected, it's just that you're running low on skills you use constantly that can still level being coupled with the fact that higher levels take more Skill Levelups per Character Level gain.

Though, why enemies stop scaling at 50 is bizarre :/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, so far the College crew aren't, like, totally terrible. Just elitist assholes. Not nearly as bad as the other guilds or the Imperials and Stormcloaks. I could see myself working with them, but the only magic I really use is restoration, so it's out of my speciality which is mildly annoying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I read that you essentially will mathematically max out at level 50-80(read different things). Seeing as you can't get higher than 100 on any given skill? If I'm wrong can someone give me the real breakdown than? Given the system in place - raise individual skills in order to raise your overall level - there has to be a mathematical limit. You can only get to level 100 on your skills which equate to only X number of overall level increases and therefore X number of overall perks? Right? Or am I missing something?
Your logic is sound. Level 81. 80 perks.
So with perks, how many trees is it possible to fill with 81 levels?
The trees all have different numbers of perks.

erragal

Though, why enemies stop scaling at 50 is bizarre :/

It really is completely arbitrary. I mean even with capped out weapons I can still die (Knockdowns/staggers/archery one shots) but it'd be nice for that to happen more often. Definitely resigned to the fact that late game deaths are mostly going to be one shots until the game is modded up.

There's really nothing in any of the guilds that require any perks to complete or even a minimum skill level in any skills. If you can complete the missions they give you, that's all they care about.

Nice! time for this sword/shield carrying, full dwarven armor wearing warrior to start sneaking around and picking pockets! lol

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
So I'm trying to carry out Brynjolf's scheme.

I can't get into the box under the stall because it says I need a key and the stall owner doesn't have one I can pickpocket. Where would it be?

Jonm1010

Banned
The mathematical limit is 81 which would be 80 perks. To be honest having some motivation for multiple playthroughs is a good design decision; not being able to get everything is a good way to create a unique/personalized play experience for each person.

I'm not sure about the scaling stuff but it's even sillier considering how easy it is to stumble into gaining 25% more experience for most of the game.

I guess that's the difference in preference I have. I see a game that is so large that you could double or triple the level cap and still probably not finish all quests, guilds, and storylines in one playthrough. A cap that is so low compared to wealth of things to do that maybe I have the desire to beat all the guilds and the main story on one playthrough, but because of a level cap that is too low I lose a majority of motivation to do so because of a capped difficulty, a capped level progress and a capped progression for my character.

Like past games such as Oblivion and Fallout, they could essentially double the level cap, perks and enemy scaling, throw in a few non-scaling ultra hard dungeons that take a complete mastery to beat, and still have room for that unique playthrough where you don't get every perk or every skill, but half way through all the quests your not approaching a level cap that now makes you make the difficult descision of continuing your game with little incentive or difficulty or going back to scratch and starting over.

ajf009

Your logic is sound. Level 81. 80 perks.

The trees all have different numbers of perks.

I was just thinking a rough estimate, like 5 or 6 maybe? I'm thinking I want to fill archery, sneak, lockpicking, maybe smithing.. There should be enough

Lakitu

st5fu
I enchanted my Ebony helmet, cuirass and boots. I need greaves now. The Ebony armour is so beautiful.

But it kinda sucks having to go through the Heavy Armour perk tree and picking some perks I don't really want or need, so I can get the perk that allows you to wear Heavy Armour without it weighing anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm not entirely sure that would work in that I think you would need to at the least visit the shrine to have the correct dialogue with Nelacar. I wouldn't doubt you can pick up the Star without taking the quest, however unless it's totally different from other quests.

scy

CHEEZMO™;32886640 said:

I can't get into the box under the stall because it says I need a key and the stall owner doesn't have one I can pickpocket. Where would it be?

Chances are you're at the wrong stand. Look for the one with the display case.

I guess that's the difference in preference I have. I see a game that is so large that you could double or triple the level cap and still probably not finish all quests, guilds, and storylines in one playthrough. A cap that is so low compared to wealth of things to do that maybe I have the desire to beat all the guilds and the main story on one playthrough, but because of a level cap that is too low I lose a majority of motivation to do so because of a capped difficulty, a capped level progress and a capped progression for my character.

Except progression is based off your skill usage. If you manage to cap every single skill out in the process of doing everything, I honestly have to know what you've been doing. My Mage didn't get above 50-ish during the Mage Guild in her primary schools and my Archer got the majority of her levels out of the freebie skills that are stupid easy to level (Smithing, Enchanting, Sneak, Pickpocket are all at 100).

You don't earn EXP for doing things, you get EXP for leveling skills. Amount of questlines you get done in the game is pretty much irrelevant to your level. I highly doubt you'll level cap just by doing the main quest and all the Guilds.

That said, you'll probably cap all your relevant (i.e., always used) skills, which is a different matter entirely honestly.

erragal

Like past games such as Oblivion and Fallout, they could essentially double the level cap, perks and enemy scaling, throw in a few non-scaling ultra hard dungeons that take a complete mastery to beat, and still have room for that unique playthrough where you don't get every perk or every skill, but half way through all the quests your not approaching a level cap that now makes you make the difficult descision of continuing your game with little incentive or difficulty or going back to scratch and starting over.

Is your motivation to do things really only fueled by levels? You do know that for the most part actually completing quests will barely get you levels after a certain point. If you don't plan on cheating it you'll be spending a hundred + hours getting light armor and heavy armor up just to reach that level cap. To hit the cap you have to get EVERY skill to the max level; if you do that in the course of actually adventuring instead of grinding anything I contend that you'll actually finish all the content BEFORE you reach the level cap.

I do agree about the enemy scaling (I'm COMPLETELY opposed to the mentality that 'low level stuff should stay low level so I can feel overpowered'...I want every bit of content to scale and preferably to a few levels higher than me). That's a genuine flaw in the endgame experience, but it's one that half the fans of the game apparently like. Some people want EVERYTHING to be fixed with no scaling at all.

To be honest though I'm contemplating restarting mostly to take a path of not using some of the ridiculously overpowered abilities and doing a 'hardcoreish' mode where every crafting level is from gathered materials only (No buying from a vendor for grinding). And dropping shields because no matter how much I love it, power bash makes the game far too easy :/

Unicorn

CHEEZMO™;32886640 said:

You're looking at the wrong stand. Gotta goto the one with the jewelry display case on it, then behind that counter you should be able to just open the door and pick the easy lock.

I was trying to make that quest a lot harder than I needed to. I was putting baskets and pots on people's heads so they couldn't see me and was trying to pickpocket someone so no one would know. LOL. Finally did it and realized they didn't have what I was looking for.

HTuran

Still confused about my Black Star containing a lesser soul. As far as I can tell, black souls are always grand, no? The Black Star can only store black souls.

scy

To be honest though I'm contemplating restarting mostly to take a path of not using some of the ridiculously overpowered abilities and doing a 'hardcoreish' mode where every crafting level is from gathered materials only (No buying from a vendor for grinding). And dropping shields because no matter how much I love it, power bash makes the game far too easy :/

This is part of my goal for my next character. Master Difficult 2H + Heavy Armor + Restoration character. I might throw in some other stuff to level just to raise the enemy scaling for difficulty but we'll see.

erragal

Still confused about my Black Star containing a lesser soul. As far as I can tell, black souls are always grand, no?

Black gems can hold souls besides human souls; if you don't have any empty lower level gems when you drain a lesser soul it'll fill your black gems with crappy souls.

GenericUser

I thought about turning off the HUD completly, only using ingame stuff as an indication.

- Compass will be replaced by the sun/moon and the stars
- HP meter will be replaced by the screen turning red when you are low on health
- Stamina meter will be replaced with the sound of your breath

Don't know if there is any indication when you are low on mana, because I'am playing a melee/bow and arrow character right know. If there were any, I believe it is possible to play without the HUD.

I thought this could be pretty fun, what do you think?

Top Bottom