• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Riposte

This game would be better if it has the survival aspects of NV and the cold could kill you. Make it optional / tied to Master difficulty.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm struggling with money. I feel like I'm incredibly counter productive going into a dungeon, loading up on about 5 dead fiends and have to backtrack, fast travel to sell it and go back in... even when I pack-mule my follower. I also am confused that I go to the cities to sell my wares.... when I pick them up, they'll say for instance 650g value but when I bring up the sale dialog, they'll only give me 80g... so, I'm trekking all that way for a mere 80g per piece?

I'm level 18 and really getting tired of getting my ass handed to me when I wander into a dungeon. I want to be able to craft some godly gear so I can feel like a real threat to things standing in my way but cant find the funds to do it. I can smith iron daggers no problem, but enchanting... I only find petty and lesser soul gems which do shit for enchants and I cant afford to keep grabbing grands.... the most I've ever had on my person at one time before trying to buff myself up is about 5200g. I'm not playing a thief type and am trying to play the game without any bounty or law breaking.

How are you guys getting so rich so quickly?

Just loot everything as long as you're careful. For example, dont bother grabbing a sword that its value is 40 gold when its weight is 28. See something else that have a value of 100 but weight 7? Now that's more like it. You dont want to reach your weight limit with crap that is too heavy and worth nothing.

Also dont buy weapons and armor. Make it yourself from smithing with leathers and ingots you'll find in your way or buy from blacksmiths.

HTuran

Done the 6 major questlines, DB isn't as cool as Oblivion, but I still liked it. Seemed a bit too much
"this guild is almost gone, a shadow of its former self"
at least for both thief and DB.

Main quest was best, liked all of the others, mage the least, imperial not at all.

Wow, agree 100%. Playing as a Thief/Assassin and to see that trope applied to both of the Guilds was infuriating. Probably not bothering with Mage/Companions/Civil War stuff because I'm plain uninterested, and I like where my character is at. Have 125k in the bank, so no need for money. Maybe on a separate character.

Have to say though, the endings for DB, Thieves' and the main quest were all phenomenal. The music at the end of the main quest was perfect. Also, the writing for both the MQ and DB endings were great.

The Greybeard speech and 'An honourable request from an honourable man...'

Derrick01

Banned
I'm struggling with money. I feel like I'm incredibly counter productive going into a dungeon, loading up on about 5 dead fiends and have to backtrack, fast travel to sell it and go back in... even when I pack-mule my follower. I also am confused that I go to the cities to sell my wares.... when I pick them up, they'll say for instance 650g value but when I bring up the sale dialog, they'll only give me 80g... so, I'm trekking all that way for a mere 80g per piece?

I'm level 18 and really getting tired of getting my ass handed to me when I wander into a dungeon. I want to be able to craft some godly gear so I can feel like a real threat to things standing in my way but cant find the funds to do it. I can smith iron daggers no problem, but enchanting... I only find petty and lesser soul gems which do shit for enchants and I cant afford to keep grabbing grands.... the most I've ever had on my person at one time before trying to buff myself up is about 5200g. I'm not playing a thief type and am trying to play the game without any bounty or law breaking.

There's a basic economy system in the game so just because something says worth 600 it doesn't mean you'll get that. You have to find the right vendor who will offer the most. Leveling speech also helps quite a bit.

You'll make a lot of money just by questing and picking up jewels and other things to sell. The key is not bothering too much with armor and weapons that weigh a ton unless they have a really high value, like 800-1000 or more. Jewels and trinkets are a great way to make money as there are a ton of them and the heaviest one only weights like 0.5 pounds.

I made 100,000 gold rather easily. I mean it took like 50 hours but it just came over time, in fact there's really not that much to buy with all that money.

Philthy

I mostly get large amounts of money from mage hideouts. Their staffs sometimes go for between 350-3000 and the shop keeps usually go broke with one purchase at times. So you travel to all the pawn shops etc selling them. Their robes are also low weight and you can carry a bajillion of them and sell for an alright amount as well. Silver Hand bandits always have silver weapons, so hoard those and sell em.

There will always be times when you have way too much money, and when you want the money for something, you wont have enough.

JanKowalski

Neo Member
Hmm, so this means there is really no point in my investing in alteration (oak skin, etc.) if I'm going with heavy armor--correct?

Well, it can help you in the short run, but in the long run, that's correct.

With 100 in Heavy Armor and Smithing, 5*Juggernaut, Well Fitted and Matching Set you reach the cap with Steel Plate armor. You don't even need the shield.

EDIT: you will also need the appropriate Smithing perk.

Grisby

Did a major side quest in Solitude hoping to be able to buy the house. Nothing. And the guy won't give me a second quest (if there is one) so what do I do?

Boss Man

Pretty cool the they included the previous games' landmasses in the game. Rather than existing for DLC, I'd be willing to bet that they did that specifically for modders. It's a nice open palette for that, and it makes a lot of sense given the series' history with its fans. If that's the case, what a cool move on Bethesda's part.

Philthy

Did a major side quest in Solitude hoping to be able to buy the house. Nothing. And the guy won't give me a second quest (if there is one) so what do I do?

Can't you just find a nice big house and just murder everyone while they sleep?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just find a nice big house and just murder everyone while they sleep?

Knowing this game, half of the NPCs inside will be immortals.

Way too many immortals in Skyrim.

Davedough

There's a basic economy system in the game so just because something says worth 600 it doesn't mean you'll get that. You have to find the right vendor who will offer the most. Leveling speech also helps quite a bit.

You'll make a lot of money just by questing and picking up jewels and other things to sell. The key is not bothering too much with armor and weapons that weigh a ton unless they have a really high value, like 800-1000 or more. Jewels and trinkets are a great way to make money as there are a ton of them and the heaviest one only weights like 0.5 pounds.

I made 100,000 gold rather easily. I mean it took like 50 hours but it just came over time, in fact there's really not that much to buy with all that money.

I always pick up the amethyst, garnets, rubys and such, but assumed they'd be needed for crafting. I'm safe to sell those? I have a ton.

BeeDog

How do you get the house in Markhant (sp?)? I've done pretty much all the quests there, yet the Jarl doesn't have the option to talk about the house purchase.

Well, it can help you in the short run, but in the long run, that's correct.

With 100 in Heavy Armor and Smithing, 5*Juggernaut, Well Fitted and Matching Set you reach the cap with Steel Plate armor. You don't even need the shield.

EDIT: you will also need the appropriate Smithing perk.

Ok, so it seems like it isn't exactly "easy" to hit the cap, is that right?

I just rerolled and I'm trying to decide which way to go with my guy and if heavy armor tops out easily and provides no increased returns, I might just go with light armor so that I can still sneak, if I could theoretically get to similar defense levels, especially by just using alteration to toss on another quick 40-80 points of armor.

Davedough

How do you get the house in Markhant (sp?)? I've done pretty much all the quests there, yet the Jarl doesn't have the option to talk about the house purchase.

I haven't been to that city yet, but I know in Whiterun it was the Jarl's assistant and not the Jarl himself who offered the house. Not sure if its the same situation there though, just saying.

Derrick01

Banned
I always pick up the amethyst, garnets, rubys and such, but assumed they'd be needed for crafting. I'm safe to sell those? I have a ton.

Yeah you can sell them without worry. Though if you use them to craft the basic necklaces and rings you'll make even more money. They require silver and gold ingots too though, probably not worth the hassle if you don't already have a bunch.

Atilac

CHEEZMO™;32885134 said:
I think I might keep the Thieve's Guild for another character.

How would I go about contacting the DB?

Talk to bar owners, there is a misc quest of a kid trying to contact the DB. Complete that quest, kill the kids target. Bingo

My Black Star and one of my Black Soul Gems have Lesser Souls in them. That's impossible, right?!

From my understanding, the gem is the container.

You can put a grain of rice into a bucket, it's just an inefficient use of space. You can also put a petty soul into a Grand Soul Gem. You have to be careful when you're trapping souls, because you can really screw over your containers.

You know why Vvardenfell is in the game files?

Because you can see it from in-game, I think. I'm at the northern edge of the map, in the ocean, and I can see it in the distance to the east.

HTuran

From my understanding, the gem is the container.

You can put a grain of rice into a bucket, it's just an inefficient use of space. You can also put a petty soul into a Grand Soul Gem. You have to be careful when you're trapping souls, because you can really screw over your containers.

Yeah, I understand that (have plenty of Grand Soul gems with Petty Souls as my bow has soul trap), but all Black Souls are Grand, no?

Had an epic battle: Was fighting a strong hagraven witch, managed to lure her towards a giant camp with mammoths, frost dragon swooped in from nowhere. Lydia killed witch, dragon killed mammoths, giants killed dragon. I had popcorn and looted their corpses.

Same with Imperial City's tower in Cyrodil?

I'd have to find a decent overlook near Cyrodiill for that.

I'm wondering if it's possible to break the game's barriers by jumping out of cities like you could in Oblivion. From what I've seen of the cities, I think it's definitely possible to jump your way out of some of them.

Sec0nd

For context,
in Arvel's journal that you find along with the Golden Claw, he writes: "The legend says there is a test that the Nords put in place to keep the unworthy away, but that "when you have the golden claw, the solution is in the palm of your hands." That is what they meant by that. It's not guaranteed that the Golden Claw is the first one you'll find, but that's what they were going for.

Ah that's pretty darn smart, never thought of it! Had to look it up :(

MrBig

Whiterun is the only house I have right now that is easily accessible, but its the worst one.
I just fast travel to whiterun and store everything in the cupboard to the left of the fireplace, and then fast travel to markath for enchanting because it is slightly easier to get to the house than the one in Solitude.

They didn't just nerf if, they removed it from the game.

It still exists as an invisibility potion, though thoroughly nerfed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not certain you ever need to 'make' money in this game.

I've found all I needed just adventuring. I will say though that it's easier to get money once you have a house you can store shit in.

I had to bite the bullet and use the console to help me get past the first part of the mage guild quest. Got stuck on a loop and nothing I did would move the quest forward.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hate how every guild or clan in this game are total assholes in some way. I thought I could roll with the theives guild, but they're just greedy, sketchy bastards. I was hoping for some rad Robin Hood types. I haven't done any quests for them cause they want me to steal from some random schmuck. I want to steal from the rich and give to the poor, dammit.

The Companions would be alright if they had some ethics. It seems like they're careless sellswords, though. I can't allign myself with that.

MrBig

I hate how every guild or clan in this game are total assholes in some way. I thought I could roll with the theives guild, but they're just greedy, sketchy bastards. I was hoping for some rad Robin Hood types. I haven't done any quests for them cause they want me to steal from some random schmuck. I want to steal from the rich and give to the poor, dammit.

The Companions would be alright if they had some ethics. It seems like they're careless sellswords, though. I can't allign myself with that.

I've gone through all of the guild quests and they were all a let down in multiple ways.

kodt

Banned
It still exists as an invisibility potion, though thoroughly nerfed.

Chameleon was constant effect though. Invisibility breaks if you take an action such as attacking.

Oblivion had Invisibility and Chameleon as two separate abilities.

BeeDog

I haven't been to that city yet, but I know in Whiterun it was the Jarl's assistant and not the Jarl himself who offered the house. Not sure if its the same situation there though, just saying.

I'm pretty sure I talked to the Jarl about it, but I hadn't proven myself to him (that is, hadn't done any quests there). But now that I've exhausted pretty much every quest, I can't seem to talk about that topic again. :(

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
My Black Star and one of my Black Soul Gems have Lesser Souls in them. That's impossible, right?!

nope..massively annoying shit. Any sized soul can go into the big gems.

Now what confuses me is that i've used the black star several times in a row to recharge weapons without having to refil it. Sometimes it's just one time others I can do 4 or 5 weapons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone through all of the guild quests and they were all a let down in multiple ways.

It's just left me wanting to somehow undermine their power, haha. I wish I could effectively do that. I could pickpocket them all, but that would be tedious and wouldn't actually have any impact on them.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm gonna say it again. And will continue to say it. The level cap setup in Bethesda games is fucking awful.

You have a 200 hour plus game that you level cap your characters at 50-70.

I've probably only searched 30% of the map, if that. But I'm at level 25. Half way to the point where I stop receiving perks. Half way to the soft level cap.

Why do they insist on doing this? Say I want to be a warrior for the first twenty - thirty hours but than i realize i love magic and thievary, but now im around level 30-40 so I only have like 10 levels left before my perks run out. So just to try that out I have to start a whole other game and lose my progress. I know some diehards love the idea of being stuck with your earlier choices but even putting that aside for a moment, just having the level cap that low( or that fast to max out) where in all likelihood once you reach it there is still probably 100 plus hours of game still to be had is a really quick way to kill a lot of the drive to continue playing.

It happened to me in oblivion and fallout and I'm fearing already it is going to happen again in skyrim. And it only angers me because of how much I love everything else about this game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There is something absolutely satisfying about traveling Skyrim with my summoned fire atronarch lady and dog and killing the hell out of spiders.

Man, this game.

Top Bottom