• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Help me out, folks!

• Will I gain the same amount of, say, heavy armor skill being wailed on while only wearing one piece of it, or will wearing a whole suit expedite the process?
  • Is there an advantage to "duel-wielding" unarmed? Why have both fists out when I can have a fist and a spell?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was ready to post "the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, the landscape just continues to it doesn't feel like the world ends at the edge of Skyrim".

Then I saw they had Vvardenfell and the Imperial City in there. Mind blown.

It probably required very little work to just put them there in accordance with the established lore-based map. I'm not putting much stock in it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Think I'm finally going to go to Riften.

The furthest east I've been has been the Rift watchtower near the base of the TOTW.

Joined the Companions, as it should be for a nord warrior like Bëorn. My first "serious" assignment as a companion involves traveling to a fort in the middle of the mountains to retrieve
an ancient heirloom from vampires
. I tried doing it last night but in the end the dungeon's boss wiped his ass with me. Will try again tonight.

Big Chungus

Does dragon armor count as Heavy Armor only?

I'm asking because under the Light Armor perk it says affects Hide, Leather, Elven and Glass armor only.

Riposte

Let me just say I am disappointed that the thread makers have failed to make the title "FUS RO DAH". That is basically the game's catch phrase.

Mindman

I took a hit to my ego this morning. I lowered the difficulty back down to Adept from Expert. Some enemies are just too overpowered on Expert, but are manageable on Adept. :(

Riposte

I'm crossed between

1) Completing every quest on one character

2) Split the game's towns up between two or three characters, using more builds and not dealing with the game becoming dumb due to overpowerness.

#2 sounds way smarter.

JanKowalski

Neo Member
Does dragon armor count as Heavy Armor only?

I'm asking because under the Light Armor perk it says affects Hide, Leather, Elven and Glass armor only.

There are 2 types of dragon armor, one is heavy and the other is light.

EDIT: Dragonplate and Dragonscale.

Visceir

Joined the Companions, as it should be for a nord warrior like Bëorn. My first "serious" assignment as a companion involves traveling to a fort in the middle of the mountains to retrieve
an ancient heirloom from vampires
. I tried doing it last night but in the end the dungeon's boss wiped his ass with me. Will try again tonight.

Haha, I'm level 47 and started doing the quests just now. Can't really remember a boss, just a bunch of ancient nords spawning and me annihilating most of them before they could crawl out of their tombs.

I saw people saying the Red Eagle fight was really tough, I just went straight after the main guy and it dropped in 5 arrows. Feels good to be an overpowered archer.

It also bothered me how the companions were like "who are you? Never heard of you" when I've already completed the main quest.

So can someone explain this smithing/alchemy/enchanting exploit to make insane weapons and armour?

My enchanting is about 50, my alchemy about 20 (I have hoarded every alchemy ingredient I have found in a box in my house so I can boost in massively in one go) and my smithing is at 100. My character is lv 40.

I have a full set of daedric armour - and every other heavy armour :) - will this already mean I have reached the armour cap, or should I enchant one of my sets of armour with a load of smithing enchants to make a new set of more powerful armour (I assume going over 100 skill level in smithing is possible and is the point of this exploit, correct?) - also If there is no cap for weapons I think I should at least make a new daedric bow and axe as well

Almost done with the thieves guild!

Sheesh, I've put a hundred hours into this game already. I haven't done that shit with a singleplayer game since the 90's! Earlier today I decided it would be a good idea to just sit by the fire at my place and read some books, haha. They're actually pretty well written.

I never thought I'be getting this much into Skyrim. I wasn't even looking forward to it, to be honest.

Lusty Argonian maid
turned me on.

I'm crossed between

2) Split the game's towns up between two or three characters, using more builds and not dealing with the game becoming dumb due to overpowerness.

#2 sounds way smarter.

I have done option 1 in every ES game since Morrowind. I always start out as a warrior with restoration and destruction ( a spellsword with an emphasis on the sword part) and then just beat all the 4 guilds (fighters, mages, theives and DB) - normally a fighting chara can beat the mage guild just fine as it doesnt require the use of more than the most basic spells, and they can also do the theives guilds quests in a less than stealthy manor.

In Skyrim this option is even more viable as you no longer need to select a class to begin with. You can simply be an 'all rounder' and do very well for yourself!

MrBig

So can someone explain this smithing/alchemy/enchanting exploit to make insane weapons and armour?

My enchanting is about 50, my alchemy about 20 (I have hoarded every alchemy ingredient I have found in a box in my house so I can boost in massively in one go) and my smithing is at 100. My character is lv 40.

I have a full set of daedric armour - and every other heavy armour :) - will this already mean I have reached the armour cap, or should I enchant one of my sets of armour with a load of smithing enchants to make a new set of more powerful armour (I assume going over 100 skill level in smithing is possible and is the point of this exploit, correct?) - also If there is no cap for weapons I think I should at least make a new daedric bow and axe as well

You can enchant rings, necklaces, and gauntlets with a smithing improvement. Get the perk for better improvements and use a grand soul gem to enchant the pieces. Then equip those pieces and improve your armor and weapons. If you want to break the game and become an OP god you can make potions to improve your enchanting and smithing as well.

HTuran

1) Get all three up to 100.
2) Create +enchanting potions.
3) Use to enchant gear with +alchemy.
4) Repeat.
5) Create super powerful +smithing potions.
6) Create super powerful +smithing enchantments.
7) Craft powerful armour.

I just bought some smithing and enchanting potions and used those, which got my Dragonscale set to ~550. It takes so long to get alchemy to 100 that it's only really worth it if you want the absolute best.

I just rerolled (I hadn't gotten that far, but after feeling out the world I made a different decision on character) and want to play as a primarily melee duder. My only concern is dealing with the dragons, especially in the beginning of the game. Can anyone let me know if they have been able to deal with dragons using melee?

I'm also going to go with dual-wielding--is that completely nonsense, or is it an ok decision? Seems like this game is pretty forgiving on your decisions...

Questions about Enchanting:

1. Do I need to put two enchants from Twin Souls at the same time?

2. Does "Fortify School X + Magica Regen" count as one Enchant, or two? Also, will this give me -25% to School X per item, or is it weaker than that due to added Magicka regen?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag

Gravijah

I just rerolled (I hadn't gotten that far, but after feeling out the world I made a different decision on character) and want to play as a primarily melee duder. My only concern is dealing with the dragons, especially in the beginning of the game. Can anyone let me know if they have been able to deal with dragons using melee?

I'm also going to go with dual-wielding--is that completely nonsense, or is it an ok decision? Seems like this game is pretty forgiving on your decisions...

early on dragons will be a pain, but once you get rolling they're very easy.

i dual wield daggers/light armor, myself.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok... so I have my room in the college filled with loot... but now I'm afraid I'll lose it. So, as a precaution until I get a proper house, will removing all the items and then putting them back "reset" this counter or whatever, and give me time to buy a house and relocate everything?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I need to find merchants with more gold. Is that directly tied to your speech level?

I'm overall level 29, making badass enchanted weapons and armor, so badass that nobody can afford to buy them.

DRock said:
They are probably included in the geometry so that Bethesda can keep the scale of the continents consistent. I wouldn't get my hopes up for Cyrodil / Morrowind expansions.

It would be beyond awesome if by some chance Cyrodil and Morrowind were DLC expansions. I probably wouldn't play another game for at least a year.

JanKowalski

Neo Member
There is not much point in increasing Smithing much over 100 to get super armor. Armor is only for physical damage reduction, which is capped at 80%.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

If you have 100 in Smithing and all the relevant perks you can reach the cap with steel plate armor. If you're going light, 110 in Smithing is enough to reach the cap with dragonscale.

Slermy

I'm crossed between

#2 sounds way smarter.

I like the second approach purely for a "good" and "evil" character play through. My evil character enjoys the company of the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood
and is a cannibal!

Dresden

Man, my thief is getting kinda fucked by leveling too much without perking up in Archery. With entire levels that went up from lockpicking/sneaking/pickpocketing/illusion casting, on Master I'm facing skeevers (albeit the super-rat variety) that needs several arrows to kill.

Illusion is fun to use, though. Wouldn't have gotten through those tunnels if I didn't have Animage + Frenzy.

Davedough

I'm struggling with money. I feel like I'm incredibly counter productive going into a dungeon, loading up on about 5 dead fiends and have to backtrack, fast travel to sell it and go back in... even when I pack-mule my follower. I also am confused that I go to the cities to sell my wares.... when I pick them up, they'll say for instance 650g value but when I bring up the sale dialog, they'll only give me 80g... so, I'm trekking all that way for a mere 80g per piece?

I'm level 18 and really getting tired of getting my ass handed to me when I wander into a dungeon. I want to be able to craft some godly gear so I can feel like a real threat to things standing in my way but cant find the funds to do it. I can smith iron daggers no problem, but enchanting... I only find petty and lesser soul gems which do shit for enchants and I cant afford to keep grabbing grands.... the most I've ever had on my person at one time before trying to buff myself up is about 5200g. I'm not playing a thief type and am trying to play the game without any bounty or law breaking.

How are you guys getting so rich so quickly?

Dresden

I'm struggling with money. I feel like I'm incredibly counter productive going into a dungeon, loading up on about 5 dead fiends and have to backtrack, fast travel to sell it and go back in... even when I pack-mule my follower. I also am confused that I go to the cities to sell my wares.... when I pick them up, they'll say for instance 650g value but when I bring up the sale dialog, they'll only give me 80g... so, I'm trekking all that way for a mere 80g per piece?

I'm level 18 and really getting tired of getting my ass handed to me when I wander into a dungeon. I want to be able to craft some godly gear so I can feel like a real threat to things standing in my way but cant find the funds to do it. I can smith iron daggers no problem, but enchanting... I only find petty and lesser soul gems which do shit for enchants and I cant afford to keep grabbing grands.... the most I've ever had on my person at one time before trying to buff myself up is about 5200g. I'm not playing a thief type and am trying to play the game without any bounty or law breaking.

How are you guys getting so rich so quickly?

I just strip everything I kill and sell it off. It all adds up. Also have a companion trailing me everywhere for the loot.

Mik2121

Sorry for the horrible quality but...

K6LLb.jpg

The game can surely be amazing sometimes, even on consoles :p

Specially the skies (all of them) and many of the forest areas. The wastelands on the eastern area are a bit uglier but still got some nice views (this pic is from there, btw).

BeeDog

For the Azura's Star quest, what path should I take? Should I
go to the mage and turn it into a black soul gem (and pissing off Azura), or should I return to Azura and make it a lesser soul gem?
I haven't dabbled with enchanting, so I have no idea what option's the best.

Midou

Done the 6 major questlines, DB isn't as cool as Oblivion, but I still liked it. Seemed a bit too much
"this guild is almost gone, a shadow of its former self"
at least for both thief and DB.

Main quest was best, liked all of the others, mage the least, imperial not at all.

abundant

For the Azura's Star quest, what path should I take? Should I
go to the mage and turn it into a black soul gem (and pissing off Azura), or should I return to Azura and make it a lesser soul gem?
I haven't dabbled with enchanting, so I have no idea what option's the best.

Black Star by far because every black soul (Bandit/Necromancer/etc.) is grand whereas only a few creatures have a grand soul

There is not much point in increasing Smithing much over 100 to get super armor. Armor is only for physical damage reduction, which is capped at 80%.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

If you have 100 in Smithing and all the relevant perks you can reach the cap with steel plate armor. If you're going light, 110 in Smithing is enough to reach the cap with dragonscale.

Hmm, so this means there is really no point in my investing in alteration (oak skin, etc.) if I'm going with heavy armor--correct?

scy

Questions about Enchanting:

1. Do I need to put two enchants from Twin Souls at the same time?

2. Does "Fortify School X + Magica Regen" count as one Enchant, or two? Also, will this give me -25% to School X per item, or is it weaker than that due to added Magicka regen?

1) They're applied at the same time.

2) It counts as one Enchant but it's pretty terrible. It'll get you -15% with +10% Regen vs around -30% Cost on the regular School Enchant. It is also a Chest only Enchant. That said, you'll most likely need 3 slots of the full -30% and then the last slot won't need that much so you can just use the Forstify School + Magica Enchant. Or use the Mage Guild final reward Robes.

Top Bottom