• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

alright guys, i dont know if im fucking up here.

So, I started an Orc, with the intentions of playing a bad ass 2 handed warrior. But then I was like, magic is pretty cool! So I started using more of that. I have lydia with me, ,so she tanks while im burning up the mobs from behind.

I cant shake this feeling like im messing up here.

Should I restart? I'm lvl 7 atm.

Just play however you want. There's really not a need to focus on one or two mains in Skyrim. My 200+ hour playthrough on OG Skyrim started as a sword in right hand and destruction magic in left hand with heavy armor. Once that became utterly OP I started messing with archery and became a sneaky archer, messed with some light armor as well. I was enchanting shit, smithing, you name it.

Eventually you will be able to dabble in everything that interests you, if you want to. If you are feeling magic, why not go the one-hand w/ magic route, I found that to be a really good playstyle to get a taste of everything.

gpn

I put in well over 100 hours in Skyrim on PS3 (did not run into issues like most reported), so my initial plan was to skip PS4 Skyrim, or maybe wait until it hit around $20. Welllll, after reading the early impressions, I went to Best Buy and picked it up on release day. :\

Started playing Friday night and now I'm up to level 13.

giphy.gif

Performance on PS4 is so much better than PS3 and it certainly feels more solid than that version did. Fortunately I've been running into several things I hadn't encountered on the PS3 version. Since many were recommending starting up the Dawnguard mission as soon as it was available, I was game since I hadn't played any of the DLC before. I've completed the first mission
and rescued Serana. The next thing I decided to do was head for Solitude since her home is near there, and I hadn't been there yet. As most know, there's a cut scene when you first enter where a guard is beheaded. Well, in the middle of the spectacle, Serana gives no fucks and goes up on the stage, walks through participants, and goes over to the grind stone and starts sharpening her sword. lol

Bethesda gets a lot of shit for the jankiness of their games, and it's not undeserving, but damn if I don't get sucked into them and spend WAY too much time playing them.

Asked in the mod thread but it seems dead right now so I'll ask here.

I'm trying to install this Gecko's 4K Mountain Textures mod a Gaffer made on Nexus. I can't install it through NMM because it won't let me download it. How do I do it manually?

If the content is data folder, then put it in your Skyrim SE folder.

If the content is texture, then put it inside the data folder.

Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition(or whatever the name is)\data

I am officially addicted to this game again.

The world is just so much fun to explore. When comparing it to a game like The Witcher 3...I think personally I give the nod to Skyrim. Witcher 3 has great quests but the world of Skyrim just feels more alive. The lore of the Elder scrolls games really is quite amazing.

I'm going to lose my mind when they announce TES VI.

I would assume it is same as every other mods, extract it to your Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data folder.

If the content is data folder, then put it in your Skyrim SE folder.

If the content is texture, then put it inside the data folder.

Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition(or whatever the name is)\data

Ok, I think that worked. So, what do I do if I ever need to remove it? Do I also need to worry about mod order or anything doing it like this?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
well just had my first CTD, but it seems rare compared to before

but then again I have fewer mods than before

Ok, I think that worked. So, what do I do if I ever need to remove it? Do I also need to worry about mod order or anything doing it like this?

Make sure that you don't have any other texture mod that you manually install like this one. If you ever need to download any other texture mods, use NMM. That way, you can safely remove only this mod after removing/disabling the other texture mods via NMM. You can do that by deleting the texture folder.

well just had my first CTD, but it seems rare compared to before

but then again I have fewer mods than before

It may not be related to mods. There are lots of reports of their game crashing here and there without any mod.

kris.

Banned
heh i realized i have a black soul gem on me and it's filled. saw it while bartering and came to the realization that that's super fucked up.

"hey dude i have this gem right here. it's got some guy's soul trapped in it"

"...yea alright i'll give you like 350"

Grimalkin

heh i realized i have a black soul gem on me and it's filled. saw it while bartering and came to the realization that that's super fucked up.

"hey dude i have this gem right here. it's got some guy's soul trapped in it"

"...yea alright i'll give you like 350"

In ESO it's even worse than Skyrim. You carry them around like they are loose change as your use them to charge up your weapon. Not only that, the spell to fill your empty gems with black souls is one of the best for low-level, as not only does it fill the gem with the soul but it also heals your character a decent amount. Even if you don't have an empty gem handy you can still suck their soul out and get healed. Where does it go? Who knows!

I didn't see any mention of black/white souls in ESO though, probably because that mechanic is super fucked up if you actually think about it.

You attack a "bandit" (see: homeless person) minding their own business in some random cave, suck their soul out all nonchalant-like, take a part of the soul to heal yourself, and then later in the day feed their soul to your weapon to get like +5 more fire damage. To make it even worse, at the end of the week you intentionally bust that weapon up or sell it to a merchant because you found something slightly better. Your character is basically a serial killer.

Grimalkin

absolutely disgusting

Right, it's not like trophies or achievements mean anything. Why they disabled them when you have mods on... I mean I get it, since people could in theory make a mod that triggers all the trophy triggers and you automatically get the platinum with no effort but my feeling is "Who gives a shit?" If that's what a player wants to do to get their jollies, let them. How does it effect other people?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

It is really hard to uninstall a mod without first installing with mod manager, you have to manually delete each files in the data folder.

I don't use NMM myself, but if I remember correctly, there is an "Add Mod From File" button right? I think if you manually add that mod you downloaded that way, it support uninstall and mod order.

DOWN

Banned
absolutely disgusting

Right, it's not like trophies or achievements mean anything. Why they disabled them when you have mods on... I mean I get it, since people could in theory make a mod that triggers all the trophy triggers and you automatically get the platinum with no effort but my feeling is "Who gives a shit?" If that's what a player wants to do to get their jollies, let them. How does it effect other people?
I don't care about trophies at all but the decision makes sense, just like how cheats in GTA V disable trophies

What the hell is the point of trophies or wanting them if you can just cheat or trip them with mods super easily?

Like why do you even want trophies if you also want to be able to have mods on, which totally defeats the purpose of trophies which entirely depend on a standard game experience to measure the success and rarity of them?

I don't care about trophies at all but the decision makes sense, just like how cheats in GTA V disable trophies

What the hell is the point of trophies or wanting them if you can just cheat or trip them with mods super easily?

Like why do you even want trophies if you also want to be able to have mods on, which totally defeats the purpose of trophies which entirely depend on a standard game experience to measure the success and rarity of them?

Right. The problem is, lots of mods are basically cheats. And it'll be too much of a work for them to sort them out. Even though you're not planning to use those 'cheat' mods, there might be others who do.

SlickVic

I put nearly 150 hours into original Skyrim but never touched Dawnguard or Dragonborn. I think the SE is a good opportunity to finally correct that. Since I can't bring over my heavily modded save and character, I guess this is also a good excuse to try a bit of a different character. I like magic too much in these types of games to give that up, but it made me realize I never really used bows a whole lot in the original game.

Guess I'm going for an archer mage this time around.

Edit: Just installed the Scoped Bows SE mod. Reminds me a bit of bows in Far Cry 3, which I'm liking quite a bit so far.

Got SKYUI working again (sorta, version 2.2 is functional) and installed SMIM and some texture mode. Pretty much set for now. Only things I'm really missing are the Companion AI mods and Interesting NPCs.

There's no other game like Skyrim for me. I was super bored with Witcher 3 after maybe 12 hours. Sure, writing and quests are very well done but the world is just boring. Gameplay and combat was awful as well. Always felt pigeon-holed into playing someone I don't like, with very little customization.

Here I started for the first time a Nord Barbarian (light armor, 2hnd axes, block and some restoration) and I'm loving it. Whirlwind Sprint into enemies, heavy swings and 1 shot kills. Totally different experience from my last char (dual wield stealth assassin). Also started doing the Stormcloak's quest as I never got to experience those

takriel

Skyrim still remains the modern day example of an immersive game experience, it's absolutely phenomenal in this regard.

Here's to another 5 years of Skyrim bliss before TES VI finally arrives.

There seem to be a few new bugs. Twice an NPC somehow ended up out of bounds, had to use console commands (I miss the times when all games had these) to teleport them to my location so I could talk to them and complete quests, never had that happen in vanilla.

Makes me think, I only knew they were out of bounds because of the quest markers, how many NPCs are wandering the endless void that I don't know about?

Lanrutcon

Solved my CTD issues by going borderless windowed.

Promptly overleveled by smithing a ton of shit and now the world is full of nasties.

i like achievements, I like to get all achievements a game has if I can. So I will play the game without mods first to get all the achievements, which will take 100's of hours depending what all I do. By that time I will be so burned out on the game that I will probably never go back to it making mods completely irrelevant for me. Just like fallout 4. Played through the whole game and got all the achievments, couldnt care less in the end about going back and giving mods a try. I think I threw on some john cena mod for 5 minutes then turned it off. I would like to experience skyrim without loading times going into a city, but I guess I cant because mods that make the game technically better disable achievements

Eusis

is this game playable after The witcher 3 ? i can't enjoy an open world RPG game anymore because of The witcher 3

same with MGS V, everytime i play stealth game i keep remembering how amazing MGS V's gameplay, which kinda ruined games like Rise of Tomb Raider for me gameplay-wise
They kinda scratch different itches for me. Witcher 3 has better side quests and story, but you can just fuck around a lot more in Skyrim while character development is more straightforward in Witcher.

For MGSV I'd think it's more akin to the gameplay of other games being too basic or lame compared to it, in this case Dark Souls sorta spoiled combat for me, but combat is more a means to an end in Skyrim anyway (though imagining if I could have Souls style combat in Skyrim even without the difficulty, perhaps especially without the difficulty, really does sound kind of amazing. Or at least feel like proper combat rather than fumbling around.)

I am fine with the PS4 version just having basic mods where they fix tiny things like quest objective markers, merchants having more gold and loot being more enemy based instead of seeing a standard bandit wearing full dragon armor.

I just downloaded the mod that also fixed vital NPC's getting kiled by vampire's during the Dawnguard quest.

That's not the way it should have been in the first place. Despite what people say that it is the charm of Skryim. No. That is just poor design.

Stasis

Spent over 100 hours in Skyrim. Never finished it or any DLC. No real reason, probably just got busy and forgot about it. That happens when I travel for a while or get swamped with work, or when warm weather arrives after a long dreary winter. Skyrim IN winter is perfect though!

Just finished TW3. Think I'm gonna give this a shot and see if I can finally clear it. I loved it when it first came out, and then after I fully modded it, even better. I'll probably go in less mod happy this time. Just a few vital elements.

Is there a good list of some must-haves? Nexus can be overwhelming. I want to enhance, not completely change.

shermas

There's no in-game settings for boundaries. You should be able to fix it via your TV settings though. I can select different ratio options and one of them (Native) fits the the game to my display perfectly.

Yah, none of my different pre-set screen options (zoom, just, H zoom or something like that, 4:3) fix the issue. On the left side of my screen, the first couple letters of my inventory, the B in Bethesda during the title screen, some other things, are cut off... no issues or clipping on the right side. Just on the left side of the screen.

It's not game breaking, but it's super annoying.

Lanrutcon

Spent over 100 hours in Skyrim. Never finished it or any DLC. No real reason, probably just got busy and forgot about it. That happens when I travel for a while or get swamped with work, or when warm weather arrives after a long dreary winter. Skyrim IN winter is perfect though!

Just finished TW3. Think I'm gonna give this a shot and see if I can finally clear it. I loved it when it first came out, and then after I fully modded it, even better. I'll probably go in less mod happy this time. Just a few vital elements.

Is there a good list of some must-haves? Nexus can be overwhelming. I want to enhance, not completely change.

The "Top Files" list on Nexus has never done me wrong. Right now some of the must haves haven't been ported to the Special Edition, however. Still waiting for my expanded armor/weapons/hairstyles mods. Those things are brilliant.

Don't you want to put important mods on the bottom of the list? So they don't get overwritten

No, you want it to load first before your other mods. Unless a mod is a master file (.esm), those always load first and you can't move them down in the load order.

I believe that fixed it! Thank you!

I guess I have to be more wary on where mods should be on the load order.

On a related note, there wouldn't happen to be any good graphical enhancement mods that would work for the X1, would there?

Not that I'm aware of, plus the xbox likely wouldn't be able to handle the stress on the system anyways. Would destroy the fps.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

ISee

is this game playable after The witcher 3 ? i can't enjoy an open world RPG game anymore because of The witcher 3

same with MGS V, everytime i play stealth game i keep remembering how amazing MGS V's gameplay, which kinda ruined games like Rise of Tomb Raider for me gameplay-wise

Witcher 3 is the perfect theme park open world rpg. It's one of my most favoured games of this generation. That said it still has problems like it's combat system, movement is a bit off, the ingame mechanics are very limited etc. But overall witcher3 + addons is a 10/10 for me.

Skyrim comes from a sandbox rpg series (daggerfall and especially morrowind) and tries to be more of a theme park this time around. So in the end it's not doing the sandbox part as good as morrowind and not doing the theme park part as good as witcher 3 but it still works. If you're willing to look over it's clunkyness (ui, melee combat, animations...).
But there are still some things that make skyrim a good experience.
1.) Exploring Dungeons feels good. Way better then in Witcher 3.
2.) Mods. And I'm not just talking about graphical stuff you can change how the game feels and plays too for example with a mood that keeps track of the cold your character is feeling and you can easily freeze to death without the right preparations while exploring (obviously there is more and better stuff out there).
3.) There are some good quests in skyrim too.

I actually sided with the Empire this time after having spends hours with the Stormcloaks with the PS3 version. They are definitely the superior side judging by the first few hours.

I actually sided with the Empire this time after having spends hours with the Stormcloaks with the PS3 version. They are definitely the superior side judging by the first few hours.

Yeah, i mean they really try their hardest to make you hate the Empire at the start, with the stormcloaks getting the whole "freedom fighter" vibe and shit. But not far into it all you really notice that stormcloaks are just a bunch of racist dicks with a douche leader tapping into fearmongering to gain power. If only the game had even slightly managed to deliver on any of the interesting premises it actually had.

But hey, a Bethesda game having good writing? lmaooo

Lanrutcon

But isn't that the point? Both sides are fucked up, making the choice less about good vs evil and more about "Hey, which color armor do I look better in?".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, i mean they really try their hardest to make you hate the Empire at the start, with the stormcloaks getting the whole "freedom fighter" vibe and shit. But not far into it all you really notice that stormcloaks are just a bunch of racist dicks with a douche leader tapping into fearmongering to gain power. If only the game had even slightly managed to deliver on any of the interesting premises it actually had.

But hey, a Bethesda game having good writing? lmaooo

if you dig further
you realize Ulfric is under Thalmor, and Thalmor wants the Stormcloak to exist

But isn't that the point? Both sides are fucked up, making the choice less about good vs evil and more about "Hey, which color armor do I look better in?".

Eh not really. Empire side has the typical optimistic feel.

Lanrutcon

if you dig further
you realize Ulfric is under Thalmor, and Thalmor wants the Stormcloak to exist

Eh not really. Empire side has the typical optimistic feel.

You should do more quests.

Game specifically paints both sides as Thalmor puppets through several quests and lore snippets, wanting the war to continue. To which end they have both sides contribute to the less than ideal state of affairs in order to keep the conflict going. The Empire's religious persecution of the natives, for example. Both sides commit atrocities for a "higher cause" (Empire wants order, Stormcloaks want freedom), meanwhile the Thalmor are playing them all like <insert instrument here>.

lazygecko

I find this to be kind of a moot point since the game design and subsequent balance in Bethesda's titles is so piss poor that there are countless easy avenues for exploiting your way towards trophies and achievements.

Returning to Skyrim after playing a ton on PC when first released and then getting bad save, never bothered to get back into it. I went with a high elf mage, is there anything I should do first as mage, visit any schools or anything, or should I just let story come to?

JP

Not been following this thread as I don't yet have the game but having watched a video on YouTube got the feeling that adding any mods at all will turn off trophies in the game. Is that correct or does it only happen with specific types of mods? The video I watched only mentioned it in passing rather than making a point of it.

Top Bottom