• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Some people are going to be eating their words come TES VI, when the Thalmor break like a puny wave against a stern, immovable wall of independent, united Nords.

I could be eating my words and I know it...

Lanrutcon

If you read up on the lore you'd understand why the treaty was signed. It was sign it, or the Imperial City is burned to the ground, the entire Legion dies, and we march on the other provinces immediately afterwards.

Ulfric and the Stormcloaks don't think about continent-wide politics. They think about Skyrim only, and short term only. You can point out individual NPC aspects like the Helgen torturer, but that's just like pointing out the pro-Stormcloak racists in Windhelm and claiming all Stormcloaks must be racist.

The most interesting thing about the conflict is that it IS a black and white conflict, so long as you understand the TES lore and history behind the Thalmor. The majority of pro-Stormcloak players are approaching the conflict from a Skyrim-only perspective, taking the Stormcloak message at face value, and not from a TES-wide (multi province, lore and history) perspective. That's why I love the discussions around this conflict so much =D

I have read the lore, I know why it was signed, still doesn't make it right. You don't get to sign away people's freedom of religion and get to keep the good guy hat. Just cause you did it for self-preservation against your enemy makes no difference. Pointing out the prejudice of race that the Stormcloaks show while trying to play off the prejudice of religion that the Imperials endorsed seems hypocritical.

kris.

Banned
welp, i'm straight hooked on this again. i had to have put in like 20ish hours this weekend. it's just like 2011 all over again. i'm at work and it's all i can think about. help.

agent00

welp, i'm straight hooked on this again. i had to have put in like 20ish hours this weekend. it's just like 2011 all over again. i'm at work and it's all i can think about. help.

Yeah, I can't wait to get home and play it. Good thing I'm off the next three days!

Renae

I really don't know if I should buy this game. Actually, I love RPGs like The Witcher 3 and I'm afraid Skyrim might look like Fallout 4 with its fetch quests and boring storyline.

Jacknapes

I really don't know if I should buy this game. Actually, I love RPGs like The Witcher 3 and I'm afraid Skyrim might look like Fallout 4 with its fetch quests and boring storyline.

Skyrim isn't like Fallout, there are some fetch quests and there's an interesting story. But overall (in my opinion), Skyrim is far better than Fallout 4

jem0208

i already played and finished skyrim om ps3 when it was launched, finished the story+ all the factions and played tons and tons of side missions, it was amazing at it's time

and then when i remember my time with it and how the combat was terrible even at it's time, and when i wanted to play the DLC but Bethesda delayed them for a like a year on ps3, that made me forget the game, and then a masterpiece has arrived that completely wiped this game from my memory, The witcher 3

i was just curious if the game is still fun to play like when it came out 5 years ago, especially after playing The witcher 3, please don't tell me "they are different" no they aren't, one is far more superior than the other and that's the truth that every fan boy needs to accept, same situation between Team Fortress 2 and the beautiful masterpiece, Overwatch

I agree, Skyrim is vastly better than the Witcher 3. TF2 is also massively better than the pale imitation that is Overwatch.

TheAznOne

Man once I found out that old saves work on the SE, took my save from the 360 which I played it the most and transferred it to PC. Jeez it sucks not knowing wtf you were doing at that time period. I am so lost.

Dinskugga

Damn!

I had forgotten how annoying it is too have Dawnguard active from the start.

vampires everywhere killing npc and just being plain annoying

I have read the lore, I know why it was signed, still doesn't make it right. You don't get to sign away people's freedom of religion and get to keep the good guy hat. Just cause you did it for self-preservation against your enemy makes no difference. Pointing out the prejudice of race that the Stormcloaks show while trying to play off the prejudice of religion that the Imperials endorsed seems hypocritical.

So the Empire surrenders and the Thalmor destroy, pillage and rape across not only Cyrodiil, but the whole of the Empire including Skyrim.

It is black and white. Some short term issues to rebuild and fight again. Most Nords even agree with the Empire, better to be alive than dead. The Stormcloaks are being fooled by a simple minded man with a lust for power.

Damn!

Mods to fix this are up for PC and Xbox (not sure about ps4).

Damn!

I'm hurriedly leveling up vampire Lord perks and pushing through that questline so I can get it over with haha. The grind is real.

DOWN

Banned
Damn!

So the Empire surrenders and the Thalmor destroy, pillage and rape across not only Cyrodiil, but the whole of the Empire including Skyrim.

It is black and white. Some short term issues to rebuild and fight again. Most Nords even agree with the Empire, better to be alive than dead. The Stormcloaks are being fooled by a simple minded man with a lust for power.

Mod to fix it is up on all platforms

[NaK]

Aaaw, shiet... I think I've lost Lydia for good.

Played the
"Break of Dawn"
quest in PS4.
In the final room where there's a boss, I asked her to "wait here" while I sneaked the shit out of the enemies and sniped everyone.

The problem is that once you activate the pedistal, you're teleported out of the dungeon... And I forgot to ask her to follow me again. It took me a while, but then I noticed that she was nowhere to be found. (She's usually a bit behind, but always spawn upon waiting or sleeping).

I tried to go back to the dungeon but the "boss room" where I asked her to stay is not accessable.

I've checked all over Whiterun and she's not back in Dragonreach or Breezehome either.

What should I do? :(

Edit: There are older save files, but it's hours upon hours lost...

For me the balanced level gear is a top priority mod because it balances the game so that standard bandits are not wearing Daedric armor for example, and that dragons and chests near the end of a dungeon provide better gear.

Killing a dragon or high enemy elite should not give me lockpicks and 200 gold. The same as a high level dog. It should definitely be more.

Hardcore Difficulty

This makes it so when you set the difficulty to Legendary, you deal more damage and you take more damage, making fights shorter and more tense. It's essential for me as it's just not fun to play as a damage sponge hacking away at other damage sponges.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely download them both.

Andodalf

Banned

The empire didn't even fight at the end, that had strength to hold out, and with the red guard armies they could have won. Heck, the red guard won independence and fought off the thalmor by themselves!

The empire didn't even fight at the end, that had strength to hold out, and with the red guard armies they could have won. Heck, the red guard won independence and fought off the thalmor by themselves!

The redguard victory was a huge upset and nobody expected them to win.

duppolo

if i start a game then i add a mod and i update a mod what i will be playing?

also, with ordinator and magic mod what do u think of a archer illusion build? how will you spec it for perks and stat? thanks! or i can do a speed archer who fight nar anemy with restoration...mmmm

Lanrutcon

Well if we're just going to ignore each other's arguments and spout naive excuses then cool: Stormcloaks are the good guys because they have a better name, and Asterix and Obelix had the Imperials figured out years ago.

Hobbes211

I've played Skyrim as a conjuration/destruction mage, archer/assassin/thief and an orc warrior. They were all fun play throughs, but I'm disappointed that after even this long they never balance patched mages. Destruction is still horribly weak once you get out of the first few levels because your damage scale/magicka consumption/magicka regeneration is terrible. There were mods to fix this, but they haven't carried over yet. I was hoping when I loaded it up they might have addressed this, but they haven't.

I'm pretty bummed though. Conjuration is fun once you get to master level and can have two Daedras wandering around with you, but up to that point it's such a frustrating grindfest playing as a glass cannon.

Haha! That's exactly what I DIDN'T say, and exactly what I DID say would be a silly thing to claim =P The Empire doesn't genuinely believe that Talos should be banned from religious worship. The Thalmor backed them into a corner, and forced them to sign the treaty. The Empire had two choices:

1) Refuse to sign, allow the Thalmor to destroy the one thing uniting Tamriel against them (the Empire). Huge tactical advantage for the Thalmor, and almost guaranteed death of every man in Tamriel, Skyrim included.

2) Sign the treaty, gain time to regroup, hold the Thalmor army at Cyrodiil's borders and unite the armies of all Tamriel to fight against them. Talos can then be reinstated.

The Stormcloak's don't even think about the Thalmor presence. Ulfric doesn't consider the impact of a weakened Empire. Rather than uniting all of Tamriel's forces against a common enemy, he'd rather pretend the Empire is the problem for their part in the treaty signing (rather than the group that forced the treaty to be signed) and thinks butchering them so Skyrim's forces (now ravaged by civil war and without the Empire to assist them) can face the Thalmor alone. Solid plan... When you look at it from a Tamriel-wide perspective, it really is pretty straightforward. When you look at it from a Skyrim-only perspective, focused on recent and current events only, and with no thought for the wider impact of the consequences, it seems like there are shades of grey.

But then again I thought Brexit was black and white by thinking on a global scale instead of a UK-scale, and most of my countrymen thought otherwise, so what do I know? =P

agent00

I've played Skyrim as a conjuration/destruction mage, archer/assassin/thief and an orc warrior. They were all fun play throughs, but I'm disappointed that after even this long they never balance patched mages. Destruction is still horribly weak once you get out of the first few levels because your damage scale/magicka consumption/magicka regeneration is terrible. There were mods to fix this, but they haven't carried over yet. I was hoping when I loaded it up they might have addressed this, but they haven't.

I'm pretty bummed though. Conjuration is fun once you get to master level and can have two Daedras wandering around with you, but up to that point it's such a frustrating grindfest playing as a glass cannon.

That's disappointing to hear, as I just started out as a destruction mage.

Hobbes211

That's disappointing to hear, as I just started out as a destruction mage.

Yeah, it's not impossible but it's hard to do. You have to take note of things like shock magic reducing enemy magicka and frost lowering stamina. Wards can come in handy when fighting other mages and necromancy helps create meat shields. All of this aside, once you get into the ~20 range most elite enemies can either one shot you for lack of HP or will burn your HP down with magic faster than you can react.

There are items to counteract the magicka drain, but magicka regeneration in combat is roughly 1/3 the speed of outside of combat, so you'll be out of magicka fairly often.

[NaK];222295047 said:
Aaaw, shiet... I think I've lost Lydia for good.

Played the
"Break of Dawn"
quest in PS4.
In the final room where there's a boss, I asked her to "wait here" while I sneaked the shit out of the enemies and sniped everyone.

The problem is that once you activate the pedistal, you're teleported out of the dungeon... And I forgot to ask her to follow me again. It took me a while, but then I noticed that she was nowhere to be found. (She's usually a bit behind, but always spawn upon waiting or sleeping).

I tried to go back to the dungeon but the "boss room" where I asked her to stay is not accessable.

I've checked all over Whiterun and she's not back in Dragonreach or Breezehome either.

What should I do? :(

Edit: There are older save files, but it's hours upon hours lost...
Did you try waiting? If you told a companion to wait, after 3 days or so they'll give up and go home.

Razorskin

----- ------
If you're an archer, starting Dawnguard early would be beneficial as you get a crossbow in that questline. Strong weapon early in the game.

I spent the first 25 hours transmuting very iron ore to gold, raiding 4 dwarves ruins for every smeltable object, and soul trapping every poor creature I've run across.

I then proceeded to power level the fuck out if smithing and enchanting. Double enchanting so you have free magic casting for 2 types of magic is so dam satisfying.

I became so efficient in my leveling, pickpocket trainers, make sure to always get 5 trains in per level on the hardest things to train, I made the game so damn hard for myself but at master difficulty. But now it's evened out and feels great.

Humdinger

Are there any must have PS4 related mods?

The one that gives merchants 10,000 gold. I think it's called Rich Merchants of Skyrim, something like that. I find it pretty frustrating when I'm hauling around a load of gear and all the merchants are broke. Wtf kind of business you people running?

Anyone else experience a bug where your followers float into the air or get stuck in the ground?

I can't progress in the storyline for some quests because my companions don't move, as the are stuck in the ground.

Lanrutcon

Haha! That's exactly what I DIDN'T say, and exactly what I DID say would be a silly thing to claim =P The Empire doesn't genuinely believe that Talos should be banned from religious worship. The Thalmor backed them into a corner, and forced them to sign the treaty. The Empire had two choices:

1) Refuse to sign, allow the Thalmor to destroy the one thing uniting Tamriel against them (the Empire). Huge tactical advantage for the Thalmor, and almost guaranteed death of every man in Tamriel, Skyrim included.

2) Sign the treaty, gain time to regroup, hold the Thalmor army at Cyrodiil's borders and unite the armies of all Tamriel to fight against them. Talos can then be reinstated.

The Stormcloak's don't even think about the Thalmor presence. Ulfric doesn't consider the impact of a weakened Empire. Rather than uniting all of Tamriel's forces against a common enemy, he'd rather pretend the Empire is the problem for their part in the treaty signing (rather than the group that forced the treaty to be signed) and thinks butchering them so Skyrim's forces (now ravaged by civil war and without the Empire to assist them) can face the Thalmor alone. Solid plan... When you look at it from a Tamriel-wide perspective, it really is pretty straightforward. When you look at it from a Skyrim-only perspective, focused on recent and current events only, and with no thought for the wider impact of the consequences, it seems like there are shades of grey.

But then again I thought Brexit was black and white by thinking on a global scale instead of a UK-scale, and most of my countrymen thought otherwise, so what do I know? =P

See, you actually make some good arguments. The Imperials chose the smartest of two shitty options, that's my take on it. The reason I say their hands aren't clean is because even though they chose tactically (from an objective point of view, they chose "correctly"), it did need them to get involved with the Talos stuff. Turning a blind eye while the Thalmor oppresses a religion stains their side of the fence and costs them the moral high ground.

That's why I don't find the Imperials so pristine. Necessary evil is still evil.

Someone please tell me Winterhold has a smelter. I've got 500 pound of Dwarven crap on me.

Andodalf

Banned
The redguard victory was a huge upset and nobody expected them to win.

But they did! That's the whole point, the empire chickened out when odds seemed poor. The combined might of all the men, along with the orcs and argonians, hopefully, would prevail, I'm sure. Sacrificing freedom becuse you're afraid is never okay. There is no lesser of two evils. I'm sure that'll be the start of tes VI. A new union of free peoples casts out the dominion, and we have a new Alliance, maybe with three emperors. Breton, Redguard, Imperial.

BigEmil

So how do I know if my PC version is updated to the 64bit version for free?

I had Skyrim Legendary Edition before in my Steam library do I need to do anything to get the new version?

witness

Yeah, it's not impossible but it's hard to do. You have to take note of things like shock magic reducing enemy magicka and frost lowering stamina. Wards can come in handy when fighting other mages and necromancy helps create meat shields. All of this aside, once you get into the ~20 range most elite enemies can either one shot you for lack of HP or will burn your HP down with magic faster than you can react.

There are items to counteract the magicka drain, but magicka regeneration in combat is roughly 1/3 the speed of outside of combat, so you'll be out of magicka fairly often.

Thanks for the warning! Looks like I'm gonna reset my Ordinator mod to get my points back and start over. I'll just go with a warrior/archer build with some restoration. Already getting frustrated with destruction at level 8 with enchanted gear.

Vuze

So how do I know if my PC version is updated to the 64bit version for free?

I had Skyrim Legendary Edition before in my Steam library do I need to do anything to get the new version?
You will have a seperate entry "Skyrim Special Edition" in your library if you had the Legendary Edition before the free upgrade period ended (which was on or a day after release or sth)

I thought about using this Hardcore Difficulty mod, but it would make my sneaky archer too overpowered.

Other mods in combination with this might help make it more challenging, like Search and Destroy (increases distance and duration of time that enemies alerted to your presence will hunt for you) as well as Rebalanced Encounter Zones (adds higher level enemies mixed into encounters, so you won't always get a low level enemy for an easy one shot).

It definitely adds a level of tension where before it was easy to assume that you have the upper hand during an encounter. If you miss, alert anything else, or leave an enemy alive in closing distance, it's a lot more dangerous.

I can't proceed further into the Dawnguard DLC; my game seems glitched.

I'm at the 'Bloodline' quest and just brought Serena to her castle.
When I walk in, Vingalmo welcomes Serena back but then nothing happens.

If I enter the dining room, my quest guide tells me to speak with Lord Harkon.
However, when I try to speak with him, it says he is busy. It also says Serena and Vingalmo are both busy.

According to the Wikia quest guide, a dialogue is supposed to trigger but it doesn't.
Inside, Serana is met by a surprised Vingalmo who gives her a grandiose welcome back, only to be cut short by her father, Lord Harkon

I've noticed strange occurrences in my last couple hours of play. My followers and other NPCs seem glitched.
Certain NPCs will start floating into the air, others seem stuck in the ground.
Some enemy monsters can attack me, others will just shout but can't move or attack.

I'm playing on Xbox One. I've tried reloading a previous save and re-entering several times but it hasn't worked yet.
Anyone experience anything like this?

BigEmil

You will have a seperate entry "Skyrim Special Edition" in your library if you had the Legendary Edition before the free upgrade period ended (which was on or a day after release or sth)
I haven't logged in Steam for awhile but it still automatically added it for me yeah? Can't access it atm

sensui-tomo

I can't proceed further into the Dawnguard DLC; my game seems glitched.

I'm at the 'Bloodline' quest and just brought Serena to her castle.
When I walk in, Vingalmo welcomes Serena back but then nothing happens.

If I enter the dining room, my quest guide tells me to speak with Lord Harkon.
However, when I try to speak with him, it says he is busy. It also says Serena and Vingalmo are both busy.

According to the Wikia quest guide, a dialogue is supposed to trigger but it doesn't.

I've noticed strange occurrences in my last couple hours of play. My followers and other NPCs seem glitched.
Certain NPCs will start floating into the air, others seem stuck in the ground.
Some enemy monsters can attack me, others will just shout but can't move or attack.

I'm playing on Xbox One. I've tried reloading a previous save and re-entering several times but it hasn't worked yet.
Anyone experience anything like this?
Do you have any mods on?

Don't have this yet, just planning my character but have a question:

If I build a sword/shield enchanter, are there enchantments that will give my sword ranged spells? I'm concerned that a sword/shield character won't have any ranged attacks, which could be an issue when fighting dragons.

Or...are dragon shouts sufficient ranged attacks?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Only played a tiny bit of this back on PS3 and I got distracted with something else, so I never really scratched the surface.

Picking this up on the 10th with my PS4 Pro. Can't wait to play in 4K!!!!

dubq

I wish cosmetic mods didn't disable trophies. It's kind of dumb that I can't unlock any achievements simply because I want it to snow more often in Skyrim.

kris.

Banned
Don't have this yet, just planning my character but have a question:

If I build a sword/shield enchanter, are there enchantments that will give my sword ranged spells? I'm concerned that a sword/shield character won't have any ranged attacks, which could be an issue when fighting dragons.

Or...are dragon shouts sufficient ranged attacks?

the only thing you can enchant a melee weapon with is something that activates on contact, you can't give it any ranged attacks unfortunately.

dragons do land every now and then so you can attack from the ground. plus once their health gets something like halfway down they're forced to land and stay grounded until they die.

do we have any more info on when the creation kit gets released? i tried dicking around with the morrowind and oblivion mod kits back in the day but never touched skyrim's so i'm kinda interested in seeing what i can come up with.

Staf

Oh god, here i go again. I'm level 19 pure mage, and i'm starting to think whether i should restart the game with a melee character instead...

sensui-tomo

do we have any more info on when the creation kit gets released? i tried dicking around with the morrowind and oblivion mod kits back in the day but never touched skyrim's so i'm kinda interested in seeing what i can come up with.

Came out today. Go have a yonder at it.

Oh god, here i go again. I'm level 19 pure mage, and i'm starting to think whether i should restart the game with a melee character instead...

Go conjuration route, make a sword/dagger(i think)/Bow/whatever and see how broken this class is... while summoning undead/attronachs

Top Bottom