• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

playXray

Not been following this thread as I don't yet have the game but having watched a video on YouTube got the feeling that adding any mods at all will turn off trophies in the game. Is that correct or does it only happen with specific types of mods? The video I watched only mentioned it in passing rather than making a point of it.

They get disabled on all platforms. There is a PC mod to restore them but I don't think there's any possibility of this making its way to X1 or PS4.

JP

They get disabled on all platforms. There is a PC mod to restore them but I don't think there's any possibility of this making its way to X1 or PS4.
Ah, thanks. I suppose it's understandable as it would be far too difficult to police mods that, for lack of a better word, "cheat" them.

That changes things for me, it's not as if trophies are the reason that I'd be playing the game but I wouldn't use them until after I'd finished the game properly due to this. I do understand why it would just be a blanket thing though.

Jacknapes

Decided this time around to play on the side of the Imperial Legion over the Stormcloaks. Also playing as a bad-ass (attempting) one-handed sword use and mage combo. Working so far, only died a small number of times.

Did venture to get the Blades Sword as early as i could as heard it's a pretty good sword.

Yeah, im way back in there. I used mods to basically get me back where I was on 360 and now im just having fun doing quests, getting married to lydia, and exploring the world. And it really is a fun and gorgeous world to explore. I know pc players may scoff at the updates but as a console gamer I think its really quite gorgeous. I have so many quests to do its nearly overwhelming

Stormus

Well fuq, I went ahead and double dipped. Put 200+ hours into Skyrim 4 years ago. Re-rolling as an Argonian. Last go around, I was a duel wielding light-armor warrior. What should I roll as? Is magic actually effective form of DPS? I remember it having low damage output.

For all of you rolling mages I advise you pick up the Apocalypse magic mod. It really adds 150 spells which are well balanced (for the most part)

I also love Ordinator Perks from the same author. They really change the whole leveling experience, fixing most of the broken/useless perk trees

Hobbun

This will be my first foray into Skyrim with the exception of playing the first few hours on my 360 a couple years back. This one I purchased for my PS4.

Can the DLC be played in the same save file? Or is it one of those situations that you will need to play through the game more than once to experience the full DLC?

Sioen

This will be my first foray into Skyrim with the exception of playing the first few hours on my 360 a couple years back. This one I purchased for my PS4.

Can the DLC be played in the same save file? Or is it one of those situations that you will need to play through the game more than once to experience the full DLC?
Dlc is integrated with the rest of the content.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You should do more quests.

Game specifically paints both sides as Thalmor puppets through several quests and lore snippets, wanting the war to continue. To which end they have both sides contribute to the less than ideal state of affairs in order to keep the conflict going. The Empire's religious persecution of the natives, for example. Both sides commit atrocities for a "higher cause" (Empire wants order, Stormcloaks want freedom), meanwhile the Thalmor are playing them all like <insert instrument here>.

Yeah, but at least the Empire is more overt about it, and in doing so, puts them in a more positive look because at the same time, they are intrinsic in wanting to end the Thalmor, with internal messages about wanting to bring the fight to the elves.

Other stuff that gives the Empire the good side is
the Grey-Mane quest

Not been following this thread as I don't yet have the game but having watched a video on YouTube got the feeling that adding any mods at all will turn off trophies in the game. Is that correct or does it only happen with specific types of mods? The video I watched only mentioned it in passing rather than making a point of it.

It happens with every mod.

I honestly did not care. I played the PS3 version with the exception of the DLC's.

Part of the power of mods is that it can alter your playstyle quite a bit, or enhance it in a very subtle way.

Branson

I forgot how bad the vanilla perk trees are. They aren't interesting at all. Also holy shit I need SkyUi bad. I'm going to wait a bit lol. Performance is good though. Like the changes to water and the shaders.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, but at least the Empire is more overt about it, and in doing so, puts them in a more positive look because at the same time, they are intrinsic in wanting to end the Thalmor, with internal messages about wanting to bring the fight to the elves.

Other stuff that gives the Empire the good side is
the Grey-Mane quest

I hear ya. I like that both sides have shades of grey to them. Beth could have easily made the rebels the absolutely noble underdogs and the Empire the oppressing force with no redeeming values.

Freeman76

I really want this but apparently it has that colour flickering that some people get, i had it in FC Primal and Dying Light and they are unplayable unless I turn my sharpness down to 0 which is bollocks. Gutted!

mitchman

Gold Member
I wonder if I can be bothered to go through the long process of getting my armor rating up to 1850 hp again, basically god mode without cheating.

I really want this but apparently it has that colour flickering that some people get, i had it in FC Primal and Dying Light and they are unplayable unless I turn my sharpness down to 0 which is bollocks. Gutted!

You should always turn your sharpness down to 0.

Am I missing something?

I forgot how bad the vanilla perk trees are. They aren't interesting at all. Also holy shit I need SkyUi bad. I'm going to wait a bit lol. Performance is good though. Like the changes to water and the shaders.

SkyUI actually works. Just download version 2.2 from the nexus

Yes you are missing lots of detail. 0 sharpness looks like shit.

I usually have sharpness somewhere in the 10 - 20 range.

One thing that I noticed on my TV is that Skyrim really doesn't like features like Dynamic Contrast. That one especially messes with the look of the volumetric lighting. All of that stuff has to be off for Skyrim to look great.

I think you generally want your sharpness to be 0. Anything above 0 is adding artificial sharpening as a post process effect running on your TV which may cause artifacting. I generally don't think it looks very good either but to each his own. So the issue in your case isn't the videogame it's your TV and it's shitty sharpening algorithm.

Freeman76

I think you generally want your sharpness to be 0. Anything above 0 is adding artificial sharpening as a post process effect running on your TV which may cause artifacting. I generally don't think it looks very good either but to each his own. So the issue in your case isn't the videogame it's your TV and it's shitty sharpening algorithm.

See for me having 0 makes it look 'oily', like an N64 effect if you know what i mean? My TV is about 4 years old but cost over a grand so its not a crappy one either.

See for me having 0 makes it look 'oily', like an N64 effect if you know what i mean? My TV is about 4 years old but cost over a grand so its not a crappy one either.

That's what it's supposed to look like barring any other issues with your display. Games in general looks rather blurry now because of the anti aliasing methods employed. You're probably just used to the over-sharpened look from 4 years of looking at it which is why switching it off seems terrible to you. You can try to stair-step the sharpening down to get used to it, or you can just stay where you're at and avoid games which artifact too heavily. It's your tv and your life ;)

For some TVs, Sharpness of 0 is the best option, but that does not apply to all. Some sets seem to actually blur the image at low settings.

For sharpness, I usually pull up some text on-screen, set the sharpness to 0. Pay attention not to the text itself but the background directly adjacent to the text. Inch up 1 by 1 until I see artifacting around the text. You'll notice this in the color of the background around the text. Usually increasing sharpness past a certain point will change the color of the background along the very edges of the text to a slightly brighter color. This is how the set emphasizes or "sharpens" edges. This is also an artifact that can have negative effects on PQ, so raise sharpness bit by bit until you see this false emphasis, then back off one or two until it's gone and you're good. For my set, this is only around 3, so very low but not zero.

EDIT - If you aren't using this method but instead are going with how the general picture looks, please make your adjustments from a normal seating distance and again start with zero and inch up until you're good with the results. Over-sharpening should be avoided if possible. I see people make adjustments for things like this at 4 feet away and then go back and sit 10 feet away to watch/play and that makes no sense. The extra sharpening may not be helpful at a normal viewing distance and certainly introduces artifacts that negatively affect PQ in other ways.

Taker34

Banned
I hear ya. I like that both sides have shades of grey to them. Beth could have easily made the rebels the absolutely noble underdogs and the Empire the oppressing force with no redeeming values.
It's pretty much black and white though as the Empire is waiting to organize a second Great War against the Thalmor. The religious oppression is being solely enforced by the Thalmor.

Ulfric is just a puppet, unknowingly or not he's benefiting the Thalmor by weakening the Imperial forces. You can find documents about him being a useful asset. Let's not forget about the racist behavior and views of the stormcloaks.

heringer

Crossbows seem to render bows kind of useless? Much higher base damage, built in 50% stagger chance. Only downside is speed but it's not much slower. It might even be on par with bows without the quickdraw perk.

DOWN

Banned
0 Sharpness is not a standard setting

Many TVs lower sharpness from the natural signal

Blu Ray at 0 on many TVs looks like shit.

Listonosh

Started this last night, and man, really loving it all over again. I haven't played since the first year of release on xbox 360, so I've had plenty of time to "miss" this game.

I do really like that there is more color to the world now, instead of the dull greys and whites of the original game. Mind you, I never messed with mods as I never had the PC version, so this graphics update is the first time I'm seeing the game's better graphics since the 360 version.

It's also the first time I'll play the DLCs as well, so I still have a lot to look forward to.

Lanrutcon

It's pretty much black and white though as the Empire is waiting to organize a second Great War against the Thalmor. The religious oppression is being solely enforced by the Thalmor.

Ulfric is just a puppet, unknowingly or not he's benefiting the Thalmor by weakening the Imperial forces. You can find documents about him being a useful asset. Let's not forget about the racist behavior and views of the stormcloaks.

There we're going to have to disagree. The Empire signed that treaty, so they need to take responsibility for its consequences. Plus the game shows us an Emperial torture dungeon within 2 minutes of starting the game. Nothing subtle about that message.

Crossbows seem to render bows kind of useless? Much higher base damage, built in 50% stagger chance. Only downside is speed but it's not much slower. It might even be on par with bows without the quickdraw perk.

Different firing arc as well? Plus if you're sneak attacking, top end bow + top end arrows do more damage than best crossbow + best bolts due to how the sneak attack damage is calculated.

Feeroper

I'm so torn with this - I picked this up on PS4 for the girlfriend to play while I play the PC version that I got the free upgrade to. However, I sometimes like to play it on the TV and use our Steam link to stream my PC games that way (wired connection of course), however, I find the game doesn't look as great when being streamed due to the nature of streaming I suppose (I have a GX 980 and can run the game completely maxed out with no issue).

So now I am split on where I want to do this epic replay, and I've got some pros and cons for each.

PS4
Pro: Looks great on this platform, stable 30 fps which I am okay with, Trophies, will be getting PS4 Pro functionality
Con: Mod support is quite limited, basically tethered to the TV (Vita remote play is there but not ideal)

PC
Pro: Looks great on this platform, runs at 60+ fps without a hitch, massive mod support, can switch between TV via Steam link and PC when TV isn't available
Con: On TV play via Steam link it doesn't look as good due to the nature of streaming.

Does anyone here know if there is a way to increase the quality of the picture via streaming on the steam link? I'm not very tech savvy overall in that regard, so maybe I am overlooking something.

So far I've basically completed the tutorial opening area of both platforms and am at a stand still as to what version I want to proceed with. I don't care too much about mods overall as I want to go through the base game + expansions first and then I can come back and mess with mods later on. Very much a first world problem, but I feel like I have analysis paralysis.

Freeman76

Yep. I have mine on 40 or anything under is a big blur.

This sounds like my situation. Its fine for most games but every now and then i will come across one that has this horrendous effect where the colours on trees/grass etc appear washed out when moving the camera, and then spring back to vibrant again when i stop moving. Its bad enough to make them unplayable, and so far only Primal and Dying Light have this issue, although I have read Skyrim is the same. The only way to counteract this is to put sharpness to 0 which is shit. Shit shit shit lol

There we're going to have to disagree. The Empire signed that treaty, so they need to take responsibility for its consequences. Plus the game shows us an Emperial torture dungeon within 2 minutes of starting the game. Nothing subtle about that message.

If you read up on the lore you'd understand why the treaty was signed. It was sign it, or the Imperial City is burned to the ground, the entire Legion dies, and we march on the other provinces immediately afterwards.

Ulfric and the Stormcloaks don't think about continent-wide politics. They think about Skyrim only, and short term only. You can point out individual NPC aspects like the Helgen torturer, but that's just like pointing out the pro-Stormcloak racists in Windhelm and claiming all Stormcloaks must be racist.

The most interesting thing about the conflict is that it IS a black and white conflict, so long as you understand the TES lore and history behind the Thalmor. The majority of pro-Stormcloak players are approaching the conflict from a Skyrim-only perspective, taking the Stormcloak message at face value, and not from a TES-wide (multi province, lore and history) perspective. That's why I love the discussions around this conflict so much =D

DOWN

Banned
honestly the racism of the storm cloaks was bad enough, but if you pay any attention you know that you should go Empire

Cyros

Is anyone else having an issue using an Xbox One controller? I'm using it with the wireless adapter, and the game seems to recognize that there is a controller plugged in, and throws up controller prompts, but it won't recognize any input.

0 Sharpness is not a standard setting

Many TVs lower sharpness from the natural signal

Blu Ray at 0 on many TVs looks like shit.

Sure, but the artifacting he's describing sounds like a result of sharpness being added so in his case I'd imagine 0 is in fact the source neutral setting. I mean clearly he should check the manual to his television to ensure that's the case, but I haven't seen very many sets recently where 0 isn't neutral. Sometimes they go into the negatives if you want things blurrier but most televisions I've seen have had 0 be the equivalent to off.

I also don't think Blu Rays are the best way to verify if sharpening is being added. If the manual does not indicate it properly or you've lost the manual or something and are unable to google it your best option is to calibrate it with a hatch pattern from a calibration disc. If you see halos or anything other than solid monochromatic lines you're sharpening.

I mean if you want to say it looks like shit on a subjective basis, sure, but in most cases any and all edge enhancement is a detriment to overall picture quality in a digital 1080p+ source material world.

I guess the better way to phrase it would be to set sharpening to off instead of set it to zero in case you do have a wonky ass set where 0 isn't equal to off.

Are there any must have PS4 related mods?

For me the balanced level gear is a top priority mod because it balances the game so that standard bandits are not wearing Daedric armor for example, and that dragons and chests near the end of a dungeon provide better gear.

Killing a dragon or high enemy elite should not give me lockpicks and 200 gold. The same as a high level dog. It should definitely be more.

Top Bottom