• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls VI seems to be taking place in Hammerfell, as Bethesda employee concepts leak

Matt_Fox

I'm not a massive fan of the Middle-eastern 'Arabian Nights' type setting but I strongly suspect that Bethesda will vary the environment to keep things interesting.

To be honest, Oblivion had my favourite setting, with little hills and mossy ruins, quite a pastoral English feel.

Hudo

So I guess we will never get a mainline Elder Scrolls game set in Elsweyr? I wanna Skooma my way through it.

MrRibeye

This looks like a Eurocentric castle and my main reason for thinking it's not going to be Hammerfell.
HMzOUk.jpg

The Bethesda employee pinned desert environments, and this screenshot is Elsweyr from Elder Scrolls Online, showing craggy desert rocks exist outside of Hammerfell, my 2nd reason to believe it's not Hammerfell.
Krca9m.jpg
81gfX8Lc+SL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

But then it occurred to me that Bethesda would want to pick a region for TES VI that has not yet been created in Elder Scrolls Online, so that they are not limited to the size, geography, and design created by Zenimax Online, so I created this map to get an idea for which regions don't exist in ESO (marked in red).

uzmjxr.jpg

This really only leaves Hammerfell as a possible location for TES VI, plus it's not all desert sands, it has a rainforest, savanna and mountain region. Diverse enough.

BouncyFrag

I stopped caring about ES6 ages ago. I’ve recently gotten a budget gaming laptop and am loving Daggerfall Unity and Morrowind with mods.

Saber

Isn't Hammerfell the largest area geographically out of all the regions? And I thought from the lore it's also the most varied as well, as far as different types of biomes.

Regardless, Oblivion was all green forest or drab castle towns, and that was one of their best games. 🤷‍♂️. Skyrim was far more varied environmentally, but the questing was noticeably worse.

This really only leaves Hammerfell as a possible location for TES VI, plus it's not all desert sands, it has a rainforest, savanna and mountain region. Diverse enough.

Hammerfell is mostly composed of deserts. It has different biomas, but unless they break their own lore there isn't much deph on it and neither are really vast. You will pass 70~80% of its country traveling through arid areas.

Last edited:
I suspect it’ll be parts of both high rock and hammerfell with the water in between being prominently featured with boat mechanics. I can see them taking that space ship and building system from starfield into elder scrolls 6 with boat systems.

Anyway. Thats my guess. Will come back in a few years.

Hammerfell is mostly composed of deserts. It has different biomas, but unless they break their own lore there isn't much deph on it and neither are really vast. You will pass 70~80% of its country traveling through arid areas.
I mean, it's 2024. it's not like these past areas are to scale if you were to stitch the literal game maps together from over the years. Each new installment the scope increases and map sizes continue to grow. I’m certain the same would also go for having larger sized areas with different biomes within the vast arid landscapes of Hammerfell. I really wouldn’t worry about it. Skyrim had plenty of variation for what was supposed to just be snowy mountains. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MrRibeye

7 years ago this map was hanging in the office of Lawrence Schick, the lead lore writer of Elder Scrolls Online
resize

Lawrence Schick (Lorekeeper of Elder Scrolls Online):
The Elder Scrolls is not our intellectual property. It belongs to Bethesda Softworks and we're borrowing it. So they've got certain red lines that they don't want us to cross. There are certain areas of information that they don't want us to expound upon because they think they might do something with it later in life. So part of my job is to say, "No we don't mess with that. Just keep away from those guys" because, you know, Bethesda's reserving them.

Look what's hanging on his map, there's a book about Swashbuckling Adventure, and postcards of Alik'r Desert and coastal areas of Hammerfell while he talks about "not crossing lines and keeping away from that".

And the leaked Bethesda employee pinterest board has seas, ocean and fish in it, which screams Swashbuckling Adventure to me.
FKOxrp.jpg

I bet Hammerfell is full of pirate adventure, grottos and caves, oriental cities, magical lamps, empty deserts, but also tropical jungles and boats and palm trees and concubines, hidden oasis, ancient tombs hidden beneath the sand, skooma cartels and gold.

MrRibeye

If Hammerfell is full of black kings, the lead writer of Assassin's Creed Shadows will have a helluva good time.
e038f83fb9ee65a8b0ce418d6ed8d8db4aabcd9bd4571b3f06a700e7e45d37da,w400.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hate deserts, I hate them in real life, I hate them in games, and I have a feeling a lot of people do also. Part of skyrims success was how picturesque it was in terms of setting. I know Hammerfell is a diverse region, but its primary visual is a desert. I really hope they can miniimze the desert and maximize the lush areas, and I hope they pull of TES6 as I really do love Morrowind, Oblivon and Skyrim, all are in my top 20 games ever, but Starfield has really shaken any trust in them, and add to that a setting I hate? Well.. that just makes me sad.

Top Bottom