• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

So I preordered the Steam version with that GMG voucher code...

Not gonna lie, I think the graphics look pretty dated, so I'm gonna be pretty pissed if this doesn't run well on my 5 year-old setup.

Not gonna lie, I think the graphics look pretty dated, so I'm gonna be pretty pissed if this doesn't run well on my 5 year-old setup.

The art totally makes up for the somewhat dated graphics I think, but then again I think it looks pretty good overall in general.

-MD-

The art totally makes up for the somewhat dated graphics I think, but then again I think it looks pretty good overall in general.

I think the game looks awesome but I've never been one to complain about visuals.

Performance matters to me, graphics not so much.

AsfaeksBR

Do you have RAGE or Wolfenstein:The New Order?
If you can run them, you'll probably run TEW at a decent framerate.

I remember when RAGE was released, my GTS250 that I had at the time ran it at medium/high with 30+fps at all times.

drotahorror

I think the game looks pretty solid. Some bad textures here and there but pretty much every game is a culprit for that. I guess I'm lucky but I had nearly zero issues with both Rage nor Wolfenstein on an AMD/intel setup. On release even. Was very surprised to not have horrific problems with Rage like others were encountering at release.

Do you have RAGE or Wolfenstein:The New Order?
If you can run them, you'll probably run TEW at a decent framerate.

I remember when RAGE was released, my GTS250 that I had at the time ran it at medium/high with 30+fps at all times.

I haven't yet lol even though Wolf looks good.

Fake edit. No demo for Rage on Steam? Weird I remember there being one for PS3.

This is on 360, right? Is it going to be very different from the XBone version? Thanks.

It's on ps3 and xbox 360. So far they have only stated shadows wouldn't be as impressive but everything else should be fairly the same. I suspect resolution won't be as good or textures. Let's hope the frame rate is steady.

I love the way the game looks. Very dense and detailed environments. Great light/shadow effects. Outdoor areas especially look fantastic. Also I think idTech5's megatextures are a lot more suited to third-person games since you not getting as close to them as in a FPS.

They nailed the art direction.

evil11gohc.png

cwcncd.gif

I love the way the game looks. Very dense and detailed environments. Great light/shadow effects. Outdoor areas especially look fantastic. Also I think idTech5's megatextures are a lot more suited to third-person games since you not getting as close to them as in a FPS.

evil11gohc.png

cwcncd.gif

*drools*

Xpliskin

For people asking about the PC specs:

Check the Wolfenstein specs. There's more happening on the screen in TNO than in TEW.
Tango hasn't drastically modified idtech 5 either.

If you can run TNO you can run TEW.

Recommended PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS for 60fps

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required

here's the PC performance thread:
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=822016

AsfaeksBR

I haven't yet lol even though Wolf looks good.

Fake edit. No demo for Rage on Steam? Weird I remember there being one for PS3.

It's really hard for a AAA game to have demo on PC, unfortunately.
But there are people selling RAGE por 3 keys ($6) at SteamTrades, if you want

evil11gohc.png

cwcncd.gif

It's such a beautiful looking game. I just hope the PC version is done right and runs as good as Wolfenstein. Not that it ends up being inferior to the current gen versions or a port of the 360 version or something stupid like that.

Actually, is PC footage out there?

Check the Wolfenstein specs. There's more happening on the screen in TNO than in TEW.

But TNO ran like shit for AMD users, which is a thing to consider for people deciding platform

AsfaeksBR

It's such a beautiful looking game. I just hope the PC version is done right and runs as good as Wolfenstein. Not that it ends up being inferior to the current gen versions or a port of the 360 version or something stupid like that.

Actually, is PC footage out there?

I remember someone noticing that this gameplay is the PC Version because the Icon Prompts are 1440p - German Commentary, through.

I remember someone noticing that this gameplay is the PC Version because the Icon Prompts are 1440p - German Commentary, through.

How can people see that? lol

Actually Id assume any youtuber that got the demo early, is most likely on pc. Seeing as they probably don't have dev build consoles.

First time I'm hearing you need special consoles to play these early builds. I think they're made to work with regular consoles.

Late Flag

evil11gohc.png

cwcncd.gif

Love that gif. Gorgeous art design.

Xpliskin

But TNO ran like shit for AMD users, which is a thing to consider for people deciding platform

That's a very good point actually.

TNO had issues with most AMD cards.

Those that have them check the TNO steam page and see if their cards are affected.

For PC footage: I believe the pewdiedie (?) videos are from the PC demo.
The first PS4 demo was at gamescom and chapter 8 was renamed chapter 9.

Just finished my replay of RE4 in anticipation of this. Apart from the final boss the whole game is phenomenal. I can't wait to see the sheer variety of setpieces, locations, enemies, bosses etc that will likely be in Evil Within, because that's one of my favorite parts of RE4, just the sheer relentlessness of it. If Evil WIthin can do the same variety for horror that RE4 did for action, then we will have one scary ass game on our hands.

How can people see that? lol

First time I'm hearing you need special consoles to play these early builds. I think they're made to work with regular consoles.

Yep. Early builds or builds finished that are not yet produced you will find burned on regular disks sometimes and sent to journalists for early reviews, etc. Steam stuff is usually just a beta build.

Xpliskin

I'd caution that presumption because we don't know how optimized the new lighting is.

There's nothing fancy done with the lighting.

Both bake global illumination and global lights to huge lightmaps that are streamed on the fly. Dynamic lights limits are the same in both.

Maybe some shaders are more expensive, but then again they're scalable depending on your hardware.

Both games use the same level editor, since it's the only way to generate mega-textures. (Albeit modified for personal purposes)

Of course unless Tango has no clue about performance optimization it's a very safe bet to assume hardware requirements are the same for both games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

evil11gohc.png

cwcncd.gif

Wowza. This is the first time I have looked at the game and thought it wasn't hideous. I'm buying anything Mikami puts out so just put this out please and I shall purchase it.

I wish it were an August release like they originally intended though.

Bl@de

here's the PC performance thread:
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=822016

I have a Xeon v3 1230 and a overclocked Geforce 770 along with 8GB of RAM.
TNO ran at 60fps with no dips (1080p). Downsampling from 1620p caused drops
to 40fps. For me that was unplayable in TNO, so 1080p should be fine for Evil Within.

I just hope they don't want 60GB of Hard Drive Space. I only have a 120gb SSD^^ And I am planning to hold on to it until SATA2 is replaced for faster standards.

Xpliskin

I have a Xeon v3 1230 and a overclocked Geforce 770 along with 8GB of RAM.
TNO ran at 60fps with no dips (1080p). Downsampling from 1620p caused drops
to 40fps. For me that was unplayable in TNO, so 1080p should be fine for Evil Within.

I just hope they don't want 60GB of Hard Drive Space. I only have a 120gb SSD^^ And I am planning to hold on to it until SATA2 is replaced for faster standards.

the game has 10+ chapters with (from what we've seen) very different environments each time.

The bare minimum space will be 30+ GB easily, depending on the quality they chose.

sorry lol

And yes SSD for IdTech 5 is the best way to reduce pop-ins.

And yes SSD for IdTech 5 is the best way to reduce pop-ins.

I don't know how bad it was for HDD users but I ran Wolfenstein on a SSD and still noticed some textures pop in from low res to high res here and there once in a while. Nothing game breaking or enjoyment breaking but you could still spot it sometimes.

If TEW is going to be 30 gigs plus I will need to uninstall Wolfenstein. That game is just god damn huge.

-MD-

I don't know if you were showing me that it's cheaper elsewhere but my link was for the PS4 version.

I know

Just finished my replay of RE4 in anticipation of this. Apart from the final boss the whole game is phenomenal. I can't wait to see the sheer variety of setpieces, locations, enemies, bosses etc that will likely be in Evil Within, because that's one of my favorite parts of RE4, just the sheer relentlessness of it. If Evil WIthin can do the same variety for horror that RE4 did for action, then we will have one scary ass game on our hands.

Just started my playthrough, about 2 hours in.

A note about the various youtube videos of the mansion level: pretty much only the Pete Hines and the French commentary one is being played on Survival (normal) difficulty. All the others are on Casual.

Here are a couple GIFs:

- You can disable traps by throwing bottles at them. Good way to conserve ammo, but make sure there are not enemies about to alert them. In one of my playthroughs, I shot a trap while an enemy was near it to take them out. You can also disable traps manually by walking up to them in stealth mode.
trap9gs6b.gif

- Non-explosive crossbow bolts go through enemies. Line them up:
corridor26sty.gif

antitrop

I'll be giving that pre-order bonus code away when I get the game, but that double barrelled shotgun sure is tempting. I love how they only give you 3 shells.
I freely admit that I suck at survival horror games (although I've played a lot of them... Poorly), so I'll take all the help I can get.

Grief.exe

A note about the various youtube videos of the mansion level: pretty much only the Pete Hines and the French commentary one is being played on Survival (normal) difficulty. All the others are on Casual.

Traps seem extremely useful in this game.

Conserve ammo by luring multiple enemies into a trap, then triggering with a bottle. Just seems like a cool dynamic that hasn't been used very much in games.

Xpliskin

I don't know how bad it was for HDD users but I ran Wolfenstein on a SSD and still noticed some textures pop in from low res to high res here and there once in a while. Nothing game breaking or enjoyment breaking but you could still spot it sometimes.

If TEW is going to be 30 gigs plus I will need to uninstall Wolfenstein. That game is just god damn huge.

Well it's not the only factor.
Disk speed helps a lot but it's not the be all end all for the problem.

Twitter news at eleven---

According to this:
http://biofavoritegamer.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/09/14/214749

If a demo version there is, it will release after TGS (late sep/begin october).

Hype ?
ijikgc4iabczwq5yk2.gif

Well it's not the only factor.
Disk speed helps a lot but it's not the be all end all for the problem.

Twitter news at eleven---

According to this:
http://biofavoritegamer.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/09/14/214749

If a demo version there is, it will release after TGS (late sep/begin october).

Hype ?
http://abload.de/img/ijikgc4iabczwq5yk2.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

That would be fantastic. This is one of those games where you can play a given section multiple times with lots of different route options and tactics. It would be a great way to get people excited about the game. A short demo being played multiple times will also show off the randomization elements - no two playthroughs will be the same.

Top Bottom