• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE EVIL WITHIN is the real deal! (UK Demo impressions)

-MD-

FkNS3en.png

Lol cmon, son.

I call the dodge roll in Shadows "god roll" since it really does render you completely invulnerable to anything.

And yeah I'm with you on atmosphere and music. I loved the dumb sense of humor and connection between Garcia and Johnson. It's your retro buddy action horror comedy where the sidekick is the brainiac and the main protagonist is the dumbass. It's my personal Big Trouble in Little China of videogames.

And Killer7 is on my top ten of all time. I play it annually.

Man I love me Shadows and killer 7! Oh yes! Such treasures.

Two... But that doesn't make any logical sense in the game.
Unless it means "Project
(Resident Evil 4)
-2!

But I think I'm right, there's a word in Japanese (iirc) that sounds like zwei and means "The calling".

Well Japanese people have a habit to take German names, maybe Mikami thought it sounded cool as a project name who knows. Japanese like many German words, but I guess most of the time they do not even know the real meaning. Would be cool if Mikami would explain in an interview why he took the name Zwei as a prototype name for The Evil Within.

-MD-

Well Japanese people have a habit to take German names, maybe Mikami thought it sounded cool as a project name who knows. Japanese like many German words, but I guess most of the time they do not even know the real meaning. Would be cool if Mikami would explain in an interview why he took the name Zwei as a prototype name for The Evil Within.

Round 2 of the survival-horror genre :p

JayEH

I've been interested in this game for a couple of months now so I decided to pick up RE4 for 360 since it was Mikami's last "horror" game. It's really good but I wouldn't say its a horror game at all and from the sounds of it, this is completely different from RE4.

It'd be nice to play a true survival horror game since I guess I haven't played one before. I've played all the Dead Spaces but again that's more action horror. Don't know if I'll preorder this yet but I'll definitely pick it up eventually.

xezuru

PC is Unreal Engine 4billion or something right? How intense are the reqs? I mean I'm most likely getting the PS4 version but I do kinda wish all games could run on the variety of systems Wolfenstein can.

antitrop

PC is Unreal Engine 4billion or something right? How intense are the reqs? I mean I'm most likely getting the PS4 version but I do kinda wish all games could run on the variety of systems Wolfenstein can.
This is actually the same engine as Wolfenstein, iD Tech 5 -- though with some modifications. TEW is the last iD Tech 5 game, Doom 4 is using iD Tech 6.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've gone from not being hyped at all to considering buying this day one over the past few weeks.
Sounds like something I'll really enjoy.

Bl@de

Carmack's little turd that couldn't

ID Tech 6 will be replacing it ... soooooo =) Doom 4 runs on it

And by the Way: ID Tech 5 always ran great for me with 60fps and it had only 2 games so far. those are my favorite shooters of the last generation (RAGE and Wolfenstein)^^
But people seem to hate this engine a lot. eveen if there are only 2 games on it.

But a japanese studio tinkering with an engine and porting to pc ... that shit has to make you nervous. and it's the only thing I care about right now. I know the game itself is going
to rock.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm actively happy the media aren't proclaiming and hyping this as the second coming, but we're starting to get very good 'on the ground' feedback.

The usual story with the Gaming Industry. This game turns out to be great, six months time and all publications will be like "OH YEAH BASED MIKAMI, WE ALL BELIEVED AND WERE 100% SUPPORTIVE PRE-RELEASE, ZOMG"

Very interested to know the full graphical differences between PS3 > PS4 versions

Framerate has been lookin better since initial complaints tho rite?

The Xbox One build which I played was relatively stable. The only slowdown seemed to be at the beginning of the demo, outside the mansion, where the game employed heavy DoF and mist effects. I would imagine that the optimisations they've been doing for the last couple months would fix that though.

Hey alright, Duke, Andrew, Antitrop, all my peeps hyped up in here

Zoolander is on, and there was a commercial for something called Cougar Life dot com

I'm taking all of the above to be good omens that this game will be awesome

I need all of you, what's you PSN?

I will be on PS4.

xRaptor_1

I’ll add you tomorrow! : )

Limited Edition comes with a 3D art card, a novel called Sebastian's Diary, and the soundtrack.

One thing to note about the soundtrack is that unlike the art shown in the above post, the final edition of the soundtrack CD does look very cool.

the-evil-within-ost.png

The soundtrack disc looks just like the audio tape collectibles in the game.

Ummm, I think you might be confusing the two Limited Editions with each other:

Dt54RaN.jpg

lb5p12f.jpg

I'll be giving that pre-order bonus code away when I get the game, but that double barrelled shotgun sure is tempting. I love how they only give you 3 shells.

The thing I'll never get over is that a lot of these negative previews were from watching a section of the game, not even playing the game. And it got the game such a negative rep for a long while that it's almost ridiculous. Was Bethesda's fault for showing the gameplay off for the first time this way though.

Yep - all the negative previews that people still keep harping on about are from journalists watching a controlled demo from E3 last year.

The recent preview where GameInformer played the game was really positive as is most user impressions from people who played the game.

Bethesda just needs to get this game in the hands of people for the general perception to change.

Yep - all the negative previews that people still keep harping on about are from journalists watching a controlled demo from E3 last year.

The recent preview where GameInformer played the game was really positive as is most user impressions from people who played the game.

Bethesda just needs to get this game in the hands of people for the general perception to change.

They should release a demo. If the hands on impressions with the recent builds were genuinely positive then they could really sell the game with a decent demo. I'm sad that demos are becoming less of a practice these days.

They should release a demo. If the hands on impressions with the recent builds were genuinely positive then they could really sell the game with a decent demo. I'm sad that demos are becoming less of a practice these days.

This. I would love a demo for Evil and Alien Isolation

Andrew.

Banned
Do US peeps get the pre order bonuses at least? I'm headin to PoopStop today to pay this bad boy off (and will probably end up grabbing something good and cheap since I can't go into that store without buying something).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Do US peeps get the pre order bonuses at least? I'm headin to PoopStop today to pay this bad boy off (and will probably end up grabbing something good and cheap since I can't go into that store without buying something).
Yup, the Fighting Chance pack.

I'm not sure if the Double Barrel Shotgun is exclusive to it or not, but I do love Double Barrel Shotguns. I probably won't use the pack on my first Playthrough, though.

Yup, the Fighting Chance pack.

I'm not sure if the Double Barrel Shotgun is exclusive to it or not, but I do love Double Barrel Shotguns. I probably won't use the pack on my first Playthrough, though.

I think it just means you get those items at the start rather than finding them in the game naturally. Kind of like the pre-order weapons for Dark Souls 2.

Top Bottom