• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Chiclets

Banned
What is up with the the BSG hate... People are thinking way to much into the story stuff. just enjoy the ride the last few seasons were a great ride.

Is this show really any good???

I watched the first episode and couldnt really get into it.
Not like many characters.

And it was kinda confusing?

I thought that ship which blew up was the same one that had all those people onboard, the one with the detective.

Zoe

I thought that ship which blew up was the same one that had all those people onboard, the one with the detective.

The detective wasn't on a ship. There are three major locations so far: Ceres, Earth, and ship hopping for Holden's group.

suzu

Well, you can give the episode another go or watch up to ep4 at the least. What did you find confusing?

The big ice-hauling ship with all the people is the Canterbury. A few of the crew members go out to investigate a ship (the Scopuli) that sent a distress signal. The Canterbury later gets blown up by a mystery ship (that apparently has Martian/Mars stealth tech).

The detective is on an asteroid space station called Ceres. Avasarala (the U.N. lady) is on Earth.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It gets much less confusing as it moves.

Fireblend

Banned

I mean, it is a somewhat dense start, but if you thought the detective and the entire city were somehow on the ice hauler I think you should probably try to rewatch it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have another question for the book readers in this thread.

I know that Ceres has gravity similar to that of the Earth (or at least compatible with life) thanks to some crazy engineering feat that allowed
to spin the planet
according to the Wiki, but what about Mars? Wouldn't be Mars natives ill, brittle boned creatures not unlike belters? Surface gravity is about 38% of that on Earth after all.

DieH@rd

Banned

I know that Ceres has gravity similar to that of the Earth (or at least compatible with life) thanks to some crazy engineering feat that allowed
to spin the planet
according to the Wiki, but what about Mars? Wouldn't be Mars natives ill, brittle boned creatures not unlike belters? Surface gravity is about 38% of that on Earth after all.

People Mars were described as "normal". Only Belters were tall because they spend their youth at zero-g.

As a long-time reader of this series, (pretty sure I picked up the first book when it hit the shelves) I'm extremely happy with how this has translated to TV.

Just about everything I loved about the books has made it into the show.

Can't wait for season 2 now, alot of really cool characters / battle scenes in that one as well.

Hopefully this makes it to season 3! That's where stuff REALLY starts to go down.

Jag

As a long-time reader of this series, (pretty sure I picked up the first book when it hit the shelves) I'm extremely happy with how this has translated to TV.

Just about everything I loved about the books has made it into the show.

Can't wait for season 2 now, alot of really cool characters / battle scenes in that one as well.

Hopefully this makes it to season 3! That's where stuff REALLY starts to go down.

Yeah. I've said in this thread that the books tend to go in directions you just don't anticipate.

That would probably be the closest comparison to Game of Thrones. Just some "whoa, didn't see that coming" moments (and I'm not talking about killing off major characters).

DieH@rd

Banned

If you are thinking about book 2 and book 3 I agree that they are great, but season 2 will cover 2nd part of Leviathan Wakes. S1 is just 10 episodes, just enough for us to see
shit hitting the fan at Eros.
I'm glad they went this way, fallout of
Eros incident
needs to get a lot of time to breathe, and eventual buildup toward the end of the book1 has to be shown in a epic way. S2 will be bumped to 13 eps also!

Kyougar

to spin the planet

Ceres is at 0.3g in the Expanse, so below Mars. Ceres' original Gravity was (is) 0.029g so 10% of the current Expanse gravity.

I think they settled on 0.3 for most artificial Spins. Belters are comfortable with it (the ones who will work on those Stations), Mars has it in their preferred gravity range and naybe there are more issues with tuning the celestial Body to more g's
Like:
- Spinning a tiny Asteroid to 1g would make it nearly impossible to land on the damn thing. i.e. the tinier the body, the more they have to spin it to get 1g.
- it could be that there are structural issues with making Ceres spin more
- there is a technical ceiling in the current know how so that they cant let it spin better

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh yeah, that's smart. I wonder if we'll ever see the effects of low gravity on things such as fights or just fluid dynamics.

lt519

Oh yeah, that's smart. I wonder if we'll ever see the effects of low gravity on things such as fights or just fluid dynamics.

They already had someone pouring a shot and the Coriolis effect on Ceres pulled the liquid sideways, was a neat trick they pulled off without a lot of fanfare.

output_wSTCkz.gif

CGI edit out a crazy straw?

Books have a lot of neat no gravity fighting, like the move Holden pulled to kick Naomi and push himself back to the ground in Episode 4 when gravity turned off and they both started to float away. Wish I had a GIF for that, was pretty neat. Not much low gravity effects that I can remember.

Moff

ceres station has 0.029g in the books? I don't remember that, wouldn't that mean they basically fly?
and 0.3g in the show would mean it's roughly mars' gravity, that would really not be enough for their different bodies
it's a good question either way

ceres station has 0.029g in the books? I don't remember that, wouldn't that mean they basically fly?
and 0.3g in the show would mean it's roughly mars' gravity, that would really not be enough for their different bodies
it's a good question either way

It started off that low but they spun it up. If I remember it right it was actually the firm that Fred Johnson is working for that spun Ceres up.

It's also fun that Ceres is an upside down planet. They spun it up to counter its natural gravity and then kept on going until up became down.

Crispy75

Gravity at the edge of Ceres is high, so that's where the elites live (windows too). As you get closer to the centre, gravity drops off and that's where the slums are.

DieH@rd

Banned
- Spinning a tiny Asteroid to 1g would make it nearly impossible to land on the damn thing. i.e. the tinier the body, the more they have to spin it to get 1g.

You don't need to land on a fast spinning area of the Ceres. You go to he poles. There the docking area is not moving widely, it just standing in place and rotating. Ships can be easily rotated to match the rotation of the Ceres, and then safely enter the port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E7hXiJYxE4

NimbusD

I really like the expanse, but it's nowhere near BSG, sorry guys. nowhere near as interesting characters here.

Yeah pretty much. I'd say the overall plot is way more driven than BSG's was, but the characters in Expanse so far are little more than cardboard cutouts. Honestly it's fine though. I just hope they get more mileage out of the slower episodes like the last two in terms of character development than they have been. At least this past one had some pretty good Holden development even if it was all exposition from his mom who we've never seen before.

Crispy75

(Of course, its impossible to spin Ceres fast enough for centrifugal gravity without the whole thing disintegrating. Rock is just not that strong. In my head, the station is a huge carousel spinning underground :p )

DieH@rd

Banned
Comparisons with BSG are wrong [same as comparisons with GoT].

Expanse is fast and fun space opera, although series have slowed the pace down a bit.

As a reader of the series...does the show do it justice? I know nothing about the show except that the initial trailer looked like it was pretty low-budget (which scares me for future seasons since it gets pretty epic), and that the main character doesn't really seem to hold the same gravitas as the book Holden.

Thoughts?

Moff

As a reader of the series...does the show do it justice? I know nothing about the show except that the initial trailer looked like it was pretty low-budget (which scares me for future seasons since it gets pretty epic), and that the main character doesn't really seem to hold the same gravitas as the book Holden.

Thoughts?

I think most people disliked the trailer and think the show is better than that
personally, I think it's better than the books. I think it's definitely a recommendable scifi tv show

DieH@rd

Banned

Thoughts?

Show is great. Trailer was not indicative of the final product.

Top Bottom