• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Chiclets

Banned
Man this was such a good episode... The show is freking great. anyone know what Incorporated is it looks really interesting.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
That was a freaking great episode.

One thing I really appreciated was how there was absolutely no music during the shoot out and it was just the sound of gunfire and bullet impacts near the end.

lt519

Sounds like it was a great episode! On travel so I'll be watching tonight.

The two part finale was planned since the beginning of the season.

Ledhead

That was a freaking great episode.

One thing I really appreciated was how there was absolutely no music during the
shoot out and it was just the sound of gunfire and bullet impacts
near the end.

That awkward music playing as they waited was hilarious. Good gunfight too. I'm glad Holden + crew and Miller have met up. Also, holy fuck at Julie!

Hi folks, just a gentle reminder that there's no need for spoiler tags once an episode has aired on SyFy. Please continue to use them for previews, promos, interviews about later episodes, and book discussion. Thank you.

RS4-

Fuck me, I didn't realize the stealth ship was that big. I just expected...something like the Roci. Even in ep 2 when smaller ships came off it, thought those were just one man, fast attack pods.

Great ep.

Any ratings updates on this? I know SyFy is playing the long game with this one, but I'd still like to see it pick up some steam.
They're not great. The DVR L+3 bump is decent, but it's an increase on a small number. I haven't seen any VOD numbers, so I don't know how those are looking. As you mentioned, they're taking the long view with this, but they certainly will want to see increased interest next season since I assume they're spending a fair bit on the series.

muzzymate

Go back and watch the first few minutes of Ep1 now, everything makes more sense in context.

Yes, and I find it interesting that all the ships have always been in a
"purposely" powered down state.
The story set up in the first season is so satisfying. I really hope it doesn't shit the bed in the second "half" of the book.

One thing I don't get is why Holden didn't immediately record another message for the solar system, explaining that nope, war isn't necessary, there's another player around.

I mean, he saw himself on TV and didn't really like what his initial message led to. I get that this would defuse a lot of the drama/conflict that's been building up but a in-plot reason would have been nice.

RS4-

One thing I don't get is why Holden didn't immediately record another message for the solar system, explaining that nope, war isn't necessary, there's another player around.

I mean, he saw himself on TV and didn't really like what his initial message led to. I get that this would defuse a lot of the drama/conflict that's been building up but a in-plot reason would have been nice.

I think part of it, is because he still isn't sure who is really behind it all. He already made the mistake of falsely accusing Mars; he doesn't want to do it again. Saying some unknown is behind it all probably wouldn't make things any better.

Qvoth

so next week is the finale for the season? nooooooooooooooooo
LLShC.gif

man i think i'm actually going to read the books now, this is really good

Great great great great episode. I'm so glad SyFy pulled this off because I love the books.

They're not great. The DVR L+3 bump is decent, but it's an increase on a small number. I haven't seen any VOD numbers, so I don't know how those are looking. As you mentioned, they're taking the long view with this, but they certainly will want to see increased interest next season since I assume they're spending a fair bit on the series.

Yeah, they're pretty terrible ratings. The Magicians launched to higher numbers. I'll be interested to see how it performs in the coming weeks.

suzu

So good. Shit is going to hit the fan next week. :D

That tension when they were searching The Anubis. Whew.

Also I think the long haired guy on the ship with Miller was one of the book writers. lol

foxtrot3d

Banned

Who says he won't try?

: )

Jackpot

Banned
I'm really having trouble seeing what the ships looks like. I know it's shot dark because of the realistic space vibe but I still don't know what the stealth and Mormon ships look like.

lt519

Mormon one is essentially a giant space station.

I kind of always pictured it like the ship at the end of Interstellar. That general idea.

Also show jumped back to 700k viewers last night from 500k. It's going to rely heavily on picking up a lot more this off season.

suzu

Cornballer posted the link I was going to post. But yeah, there's ship art on SyFy's site.

TheExpanse_gallery_ConceptArt_01.jpg

The Nauvoo, a generation ship constructed at Tycho Station intended to bring Mormon missionaries to find a new planet to inhabit.

TheExpanse_gallery_ConceptArt_14.jpg

The Tachi, a Corvette Class fast-attack light frigate. (Rocinante before recoloring)

TheExpanse_gallery_ConceptArt_13.jpg

The Rocinante

Moff

the ship design is really spectacular, they did phenomenal job, both in concept art and conveying it to the screen. probably the best hard scifi ship design I haver ever seen.

Xe4

Banned
Just saw it on amazon video. Holy fuck that was a good episode. Probably the best since that space fight they were on the Donnager, maybe even beter. Next week is gonna be so god damn good! If you haven't seen this show, get on this show, it's fucking amazinf, best science fiction show in years.

Awesome episode this week. Love how everything came together with the meeting of the detective and the Cant gang. That lobby scene was pretty tense, especially with that dorky muzak in the background. The shot of Julie was some real nightmare fuel though....damn. :(

So stoked to hear that next week will show eps 9&10 because every time I'm done with an episode I always want to see more. As someone who had never read any of the books I'm excited to see where all this goes. It's refreshing to have a good sci fi show to watch again!

lt519

About to settle into the new episode, hype...

So glad he had his conversation with the Mormon one of my favorite parts of that book...love the search of the ship that the most audible noise is the clicking of their gravity boots, super eerie. Almost sounds like a hearbeat.

Hat would look better on miller

Fuck me, Julie, they nailed that perfectly. What a fantastic episode, full potential of what this show can be.

Mashing

I guess I'm supposed to be confused what killed Julie at this point as it hasn't been explained in the show. The bits and pieces we do know isn't enough to form a conclusion. Or I'm missing something entirely.

RS4-

I guess I'm supposed to be confused what killed Julie at this point as it hasn't been explained in the show. The bits and pieces we do know isn't enough to form a conclusion. Or I'm missing something entirely.

Think about the things Naomi and Holden said while being in the reactor room, and the same thing when they're inside Julie's room.

Mashing

Think about the things Naomi and Holden said while being in the reactor room, and the same thing when they're inside Julie's room.

It feeds on energy and appears to be sentient. Is that what you mean?. I guess it "fed" off her because she was the only source of energy in the room (and why the stuff on the reactor was absorbing people on the ship)

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Did something change over at SyFy?

Top Bottom