• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

Jag

Thanks :) I'm really rooting for the show and hope people can give it a chance. The SyFy name and even people comparing it to something with the name Battlestar Galactica will immediately turn people off. Shallow as it may be, they should avoid the Battlestar Galactica (which sounds extremely nerdy) comparisons if they want to pull in the mainstream.

When I told my wife we would be watching it, I said its in space like BSG, but nothing like BSG. She's a big space geek, so I know she'll love it.

Cool first episode. I'm halfway through the second book, too.

In my head, Amos always looked like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop, so that's that.

Going to keep watching!

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Battlestar Galactica could have been an even bigger hit if it weren't for its name. Unfortunately, there was obviously no real getting around that one.

Squalor

The show that was created by the guys who made Cowboys & Aliens?

Hard. Fucking. Pass.

This is going to be embarrassing from a writing standpoint.

Jag

Hard. Fucking. Pass.

Have you read the books? The source material is already there and its fantastic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Hard. Fucking. Pass.

Imagine if you were always judged solely on the worst thing you've ever done. It's silly to dismiss something outright because of that.

Anyway, I'll watch an episode or two, but I wasn't a big fan of the books.

Squalor

What?

Children of Men. Plus the writing in the first episode is already solid.
Alfonso Cuarón
Timothy J. Sexton
David Arata

All credited before these two guys. Stop it.

Cuarón had much more to do with Children of Men's script than they did, anyway.

A few questions:

- Can I watch all episodes (as they come) for free on Syfy's website?
- If not, is there any way to watch the show without having to sign in to Syfy? (for example, on another service)

I'm a noob.

X-Frame

Had difficulty understanding the dialogue in the first episode. Not sure if that is an audio mixing problem or if it's just how the characters talk.

I think I saw on Reddit that this was a confirmed issue with the first episode, and the producers (authors of the books I think) also noticed this. Not sure if this will be fixed with tonight's official airing of the first episode though, but the audio problem is definitely there.

lt519

A few questions:

- Can I watch all episodes (as they come) for free on Syfy's website?
- If not, is there any way to watch the show without having to sign in to Syfy? (for example, on another service)

I'm a noob.

I think for free you might be out of luck. SyFy typically requires a log-in. There's the off chance that they put it up on Hulu but right now their website says they don't have the rights.

Amazon, Google Play, and iTunes will all have it to purchase though.

Mifune

Mehmber

Hard. Fucking. Pass.

The writing in the first episode is pretty good. And judging any writer by their work on big budget movies isn't wise.

I think for free you might be out of luck. SyFy typically requires a log-in. There's the off chance that they put it up on Hulu but right now their website says they don't have the rights.

Amazon, Google Play, and iTunes will all have it to purchase though.
Nice, thanks. I have Amazon Prime which I'm very happy with.

GavinUK86

They're a good looking bunch that's for sure.

6u6Nfhy.png

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Alfonso Cuarón
Timothy J. Sexton
David Arata

All credited before these two guys. Stop it.

Cuarón had much more to do with Children of Men's script than they did, anyway.

Okay, okay. Sorry, Squalor. I'll stop.

I'll go back to enjoying this show.

Update: Yes, I just found it on Amazon Instant Video. First episode is available for free, and later ones will be purchasable as they air.

Should've checked first. Thanks again, guys.

KodaRuss

Were there any majors characters from Mars on the show? Still a little lost. Seems like they are the bad guys?
Obviously from the end of the first episode?

I assume we will find out more about the people from Mars as the show goes along.

Moff

Were there any majors characters from Mars on the show? Still a little lost. Seems like they are the bad guys?

I assume we will find out more about the people from Mars as the show goes along.

Alex the pilot of the Canterbury is a martian, there was probably more unnamed martian crew as well. but they are obviously not part of the martian military/navy.

lt519

I'd like to answer some of those questions, but above all the show starts out as a big mystery, told from the point of view of characters that also have no clue what is going on. Any answer someone gives you that has read the books will be unintentionally leading you to conclusions. It'll be more fun if you experience it and I'm pretty sure Episode 2 will answer your questions based on the preview. I'd recommend maybe reading the IGN reviews, the reviewer has not read the books.

IGN Episode 1 Review

Fireblend

Banned
I wanna check this out, but the first episode isn't loading for me on the SyFy page. Is it region-blocked or something?

nomis

Wired said:
The Expanse features great writing and high production values, and is designed to appeal to the sort of discriminating genre fans who watch Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

200.gif

For the record the pilot intrigued me enough to tune in for the next episode.

spwolf

People wondering about production values - they are big budget movie high.

From the interview here:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/in...i-gamble-learned-from-true-detective-20151124

I'm curious. How much did you build to make this happen?

SHANKAR: Everything. There are no visual effects in the show. None whatsoever. We went to space. The spaceships are real. They are very, very large.

[Everyone laughs.]

Everything is a total of about 80,000 square feet. There's a big stage that's 40,000 square feet and then two 18,000 square foot stages. It's in Pinewood Toronto, but it's massive. The sets were really big. I mean you don't usually build on this scale for science fiction. Obviously as big as they were, we enhanced them massively with visual effects. There's a good amount of blue screen work, but — the physical environment of the series — a ton of it is practical. The spaceships, the interiors. We built The Knight, which is the shuttle they go off in the pilot. It's 30 feet high. Three stories, actually almost closer to four. And the vertical space, we pulled people up on a wire so you could actually do zero-G floats on them in a convincing fashion. Again, it's rare when you build that kind of vertical space. The airlock set that we built is 30 feet up and goes 25 feet down. It's not common to build like this.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/in...d-why-sci-fi-ended-with-ridley-scott-20151201

Fireblend

Banned
Well I managed to watch it. Pretty decent! I'll be crossing my fingers people actually watch this and it catches on and doesn't become another disillusion of what could have been like Stargate Universe...

lt519

Well I managed to watch it. Pretty decent! I'll be crossing my fingers people actually watch this and it catches on and doesn't become another disillusion of what could have been like Stargate Universe...

What'd you end up watching it on just in case others have the same problem?

Hopefully some people are watching it now during its cable debut! I think we'll see tomorrow night when there is a new episode how everyone reacts.

Can someone explain what is going on? I watched it and couldn't remember anyone's name or story. I love sci fi and want to like it. I'll rewstch the episode this week gain.

Take a quick look through the links in the thread. The IGN review I posted is a good overview of the episode from a non-readers point of view. Someone else posted a starters guide and the OP has a couple links/descriptions. Really plot wise besides the big finale not much has happened at all, its all been character and universe building. It's also a mystery so it should be a bit confusing!

mackaveli

Can someone explain what is going on? I watched it and couldn't remember anyone's name or story. I love sci fi and want to like it. I'll rewstch the episode this week gain.

Fireblend

Banned
What'd you end up watching it on just in case others have the same problem?

Hopefully some people are watching it now during its cable debut! I think we'll see tomorrow night when there is a new episode how everyone reacts
Ended up using a VPN I have set up at home.

DixieFlatline

Neo Member
I'm waiting for a perfectly legal version of the episode to be uploaded to a perfectly legal website before I can watch. Pretty excited, everyone seemed to enjoy it as much as the pilot.

Not sure what I think about it right now, but I suppose its true appeal may be hard to pack into a pilot if its coming from novels. I'll keep watching. But can someone explain what they said about Thomas Jane's neck/spine? Totally missed it.

Speely

Banned
Um, wow. Talk about a great surprise out of nowhere. I had pretty much given up hope for a good TV space sci-fi, but that pilot was ace.

Love the setting (haven't read the books... yet.) The belter culture was instantly engaging for me, and I like the slang/gibberish. Nice touches like the divergent anatomy and the general cultural effects of low-gravity are cool.

Characters are interesting enough, and I am willing to bet they have some nice development.

Interested to see what's up with Mars. First episode doesn't reveal much except that they are militaristic and at odds with Earth. Really looking forward to watching the setting open up. Hope it has as much meat as it lets on.

Nice OT, thanks :)

lt519

Not sure what I think about it right now, but I suppose its true appeal may be hard to pack into a pilot if its coming from novels. I'll keep watching. But can someone explain what they said about Thomas Jane's neck/spine? Totally missed it.

Belters have a slightly different anatomy due to the gravity of Ceres being different. Some are further along depending on lineage and Miller is just at the beginning of changes so really his spine is just starting to change. Could also have to do with how close to the center you live, not positive on that last part though. The book mentions Miller feeling the Coriolis effect when being on the higher levels.

Remember episode two is tomorrow night!

UltraJay

I was able to watch this in Australia using Unblock Us which is what I use for Netflix/Hulu here. It is a DNS service not a VPN and doesn't necessarily support everything but it works for SyFy so that's cool. Just a heads up for anyone wanting to check it out.

SmartBase

I was kinda hoping we'd get longer episodes, 42 minutes for such an expensive (well, for Syfy) production just seems too short.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
BSG did have the benefit of an event-style backdoor pilot miniseries. Two nights, two hours apiece. It built hype and it had breathing room. I wish all sci-fi got that.

Visiting the States at the moment, and it seems episodes 3 and 4 have shown up on Xfinity On Demand. Obnoxiously, episode 2 has not...

Top Bottom