• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S1| Ubiquitous. Mendacious. Polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls.

lt519

Yeah, I wish it was longer, they are going to have to move very fast to cover all the material in some 400 minutes with an additional POV.

Reviews last night ranged from meh to amazing, but nobody really had anything bad to say. It was mostly complaints of a slow world building and confusing plot. Hopefully they stick around to have it clarified. A few buddies of mine watched and loved it.

It's a shame a place like A.V. Club called it a season review and then goes on to say that they didn't like it because they couldn't figure out who the good/bad guys were.

Excited for tonight, I'll be like 15-30 minutes late watching it, but enjoy everyone!

GavinUK86

Episode 3 and 4 were for journalists so I'm not sure why they've been released everywhere, even before Episode 2 airs. Someone fucked up somewhere.

Selner

Whoa, so eps 2,3 and 4 are all online at Xfinity/Comcast now?

Yikes.

I would be tempted to watch, but I don't have Xfinity :( .

The books were recommended in the GAF, "What are you reading monthly" thread and I have read the first two Expanse volumes. Great books and I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to episode 2.

Cheers

X-Frame

Is the YouTube link for Episode 1 now Private or is it just me? I clicked on it yesterday and it was watchable.

I'm on mobile if that makes a difference now, and in the US.

GavinUK86

Is the YouTube link for Episode 1 now Private or is it just me? I clicked on it yesterday and it was watchable.

Got the link?

I did read earlier in the youtube comments that episode 1 was removed. Maybe because it's airing now they had to?

lt519

They removed free episode one from services (stupidly) after it aired I believe. I should probably update the OP.

lt519

Just watched episode 2, was great, loving Amos' character. They cleared a lot of things too for some people that may have been confused in the first episode.

Onto 3, can't help myself (;

Edit: Watched all 4, this is really good TV, like really good.

lt519

The Independent rather enjoys The Expanse.

Also, the premiere was only a 0.3 Nielsen and 1.189 million viewers. Not remotely surprised, though.

As I've always said, it's going to need to rely on word-of-mouth to survive. SyFy is debuting this thing while shot in both feet.

There were 1.5 million views of the first episode online though right? So that number may be off unless they are including those. It doesn't need to do Game of Thrones numbers, just boosting SyFy rep is worth the cost to them.

I'm still shocked by how good this series is. I'm a big TV snob, I don't watch anything on Network and have even disliked recent Netflix series' like Jessica Jones and Master of None. I even know what is going to happen and it is still intense. Hate myself for watching all 4, now I have to wait 3 more weeks for a new episode! If you thought the visuals were good in the first episode just wait until the big boys start coming out :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
There were 1.5 million views of the first episode online though right? So that number may be off unless they are including those. It doesn't need to do Game of Thrones numbers, just boosting SyFy rep is worth the cost to them.

Nah, this is the Nielsen rating. I can offer a crash course on how that all works for this thread when I have time; it's always good to have someone posting some of the more important particulars in TV show OTs. It only looks at the live numbers in this instance, and those are certainly just one fraction of the audience. But right now, they're still what matters most by a very, very large margin; they're where the ad deals are made and broken. They're where the main revenue comes from. The show premiered to numbers not much higher than what Defiance was delivering when it was cancelled this year; that's a problem, and we're going to need to proselytize the quality of the series a little bit if we want to see it endure.

Of course, it remains to be seen how those sneak previews impacted the ratings here, but it's incredibly rare for a pilot to not have the highest numbers a show ever delivers. (There are exceptions. The exceptions are generally the shows that have grown to encompass profound cultural impact.) This may be a big exception, but I wouldn't expect the second episode's live ratings to be much different in a best case scenario. We'll find out tomorrow, though.

I'm definitely not trying to paint a doom-and-gloom scenario or anything, and I apologize if you already knew all this! Just figured I'd clarify.

I'm still shocked by how good this series is. I'm a big TV snob, I don't watch anything on Network and have even disliked recent Netflix series' like Jessica Jones and Master of None. I even know what is going to happen and it is still intense. Hate myself for watching all 4, now I have to wait 3 more weeks for a new episode! If you thought the visuals were good in the first episode just wait until the big boys start coming out :)

Can't wait. :D

lt519

Good stuff to know, I don't know much about the TV biz. I guess we'll find out soon! I'd like to think a good show will get its due, but we know that doesn't always work out. But this will have more mainstream appeal then most of what they've done (including interest from the new Gravity, Interstellar, Martian crowd) and if it goes out with a bang this season people will catch up on demand for season 2. It's in that Game of Thrones territory of having the ability to pick up steam and a bigger audience once the world is developed. On a much smaller scale, but still. Glad they are giving it a fair chance with two seasons.

I know if I hadnt read the books I'd have waited a few episodes before investing my time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first episode was okay. The show feels more like it's interested in world building than telling any one story though.

And yeah, it looks better than all the other SyFy shows. I assume this one isn't filmed in Canada. lol

Kahoona

The first episode was okay. The show feels more like it's interested in world building than telling any one story though.

And yeah, it looks better than all the other SyFy shows. I assume this one isn't filmed in Canada. lol

Don't worry, there is a story that will form. They just have to set some ground rules in the first few episodes.

cackhyena

Just finished the first ep and really liked it. Nice production values. I used the ScyFy app. Shouldn't ep 2 be up by now at least?

UltraJay

Seriously? I was excited to watch Ep2 but then 3 and 4 show up on SyFy Now? All 4 episodes are up. Is this some kind of extended Sneak Peek to get people to watch the rest when it airs? The actual broadcast is up to 2 but the streaming sites are up to 4?

Not complaining but I'm wondering if Ep5 will even show up.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's kind of a terrible business plan if so. The live numbers are going to be supremely limited by all these preview releases. Almost makes me think NBC Universal is secretly considering bringing this show to an upcoming streaming service if it tracks well or something.

Volimar

So in Remember The Cant
That one guy takes a pill before he interrogates the guy. Was that some kind of lie detector pill?

zonezeus

Damn this show is fire, I hope all the fuck ups won't kill the interest because this is the best TV science-fiction in years.

zonezeus

What do you mean by this?

Episodes 3 and 4 leak (or whatever that was, but since episode 2 was nowhere to be seen, I call fuck up) and shoddy sound mix which is super important for a show with so many different, often hard to understand on their own, dialects.

You can tell this writer takes world building seriously when the battle ships fight each other while waiting 20 minutes for the missiles to reach each other, and then raise the stakes with railguns instead of the cheese of space lasers.

Selner

It looks like all four episodes are up on syfy.com.

Damage control?

Just started watching ep2. Can't watch on syfy.com though, as they apparently do not support my phone :p.

Syfy has out done them selves with this, episode 4 had me breathing and holding my breath. Great start to a space opera that i've seen in forever, as they cover the first and second book in the series.

WOW that was awesome.

Filmed at Pinewood Toronto Studios, in Toronto Ontario.
Pinewood Toronto Studios located in Toronto, Canada is Canada’s largest film and television production complex, with more than 250,000 sq ft of production space. It contains the largest purpose-built sound stage in North America, capable of accommodating large blockbuster movies.​

Here is a listing of everything being filmed in Canada (as of June 2015) - quite extensive with some big budgets.

Tk0n

Syfy has out done them selves with this, episode 4 had me breathing and holding my breath. Great start to a space opera that i've seen in forever, as they cover the first and second book in the series.

yeah, episode 4 is fantastic.
please dont cancel this, scifi...

Phoenix

If not for Childhood's End I wouldn't have known about this show at all, and while there is a lot of 'plot density' in the stuff going on (and some of the story telling doesn't quite fit the TV medium - slows the show down for the wrong reasons) - I'll give it a few more episodes to see if its worth taking time away from writing games :)

RS4-

Holy fuck, so far this has been great, even if I had a few questions with the casting for Holden and to some extent, Johnson. Everyone else has been awesome.

The designs, the pace, the atmosphere. So good.

I don't mind some of the book changes so far either. All minor stuff so far, aside from maybe one thing that has yet to play out.

edit - sorry guys, wasn't thinking!

lt519

Holy fuck, so far this has been great, even if I had a few questions with the casting for Holden and to some extent, Johnson. Everyone else has been awesome.

The designs, the pace, the atmosphere. So good.
I almost expected Shed to live.

I don't mind some of the book changes so far either. All minor stuff so far, aside from maybe one thing that has yet to play out.

Spoiler tags please, not only for book but because that episode hasn't aired on cable yet.

So what's the view on spoilers for this thread? As I see at least one that hasn't aired yet.

A bunch of folks have seen the first four episodes though. Are those episodes up for discussion? or do we wait until their air date? I guess we need some sort of ground rules.

Personally I'd say a week after it airs. Give people a chance to DVR and watch. I'd be fine with just air date too.

Selner

So what's the view on spoilers for this thread? As I see at least one that hasn't aired yet.

A bunch of folks have seen the first four episodes though. Are those episodes up for discussion? or do we wait until their air date? I guess we need some sort of ground rules.

Moff

personally, I would tag anything that hasn't aired with spoilertags.

the question for me would be what show watchers think about tagged discussion about unaired book content.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Love a show that builds with each episode.

Felt a bit lost (haven't read the books) the first couple eps, but ep 3 and 4 were the best by far, really becoming something special that's for sure.

Filmed at Pinewood Toronto Studios, in Toronto Ontario.
Pinewood Toronto Studios located in Toronto, Canada is Canada’s largest film and television production complex, with more than 250,000 sq ft of production space. It contains the largest purpose-built sound stage in North America, capable of accommodating large blockbuster movies.​

Here is a listing of everything being filmed in Canada (as of June 2015) - quite extensive with some big budgets.

Oh cool. it's filmed a 2 minute walk away from my office.

Looking forward to watching more tonight.

kirblar

personally, I would tag anything that hasn't aired with spoilertags.

the question for me would be what show watchers think about tagged discussion about unaired book content.
I think the GOT rule of keep it out and in its own book thread is appropriate here.

Top Bottom